PDA

View Full Version : Current Lineup?

Jpup
12-17-2006, 05:02 AM
With the lack of additions to the everyday players, where do the Reds stand as far as the everyday lineup. I got back to playing my baseball video game today and it really got me thing about how the Reds should set their lineup for 2007. Here's what I got, feel free to post your ideas.

1. CF Ryan Freel/Chris Denorfia
2. 1B Scott Hatteberg
3. LF Adam Dunn
4. 3B Edwin Encarnacion
5. RF Ken Griffey Jr.
6. C David Ross
7. 2B Brandon Phillips
8. SS Alex Gonzalez
9. pitcher

Using Steve's Lineup Toy, here is the suggested lineup:

1. CF Ryan Freel
2. 1B Scott Hatteberg
3. C David Ross
4. LF Adam Dunn
5. RF Ken Griffey Jr.
6. 3B Edwin Encarnacion
7. 2B Brandon Phillips
8. SS Alex Gonzalez
9. pitcher

http://home.comcast.net/~stein.stephen/cardcomp/lineup.html

Here is what I expect from Narron:

1. RF Denorfia
2. 2B Phillips
3. CF Griffey Jr.
4. 1B Hatteberg
5. 3B Encarnacion
6. LF Dunn
7. C Ross
8. SS Gonzalez

mth123
12-17-2006, 07:47 AM
With the lack of additions to the everyday players, where do the Reds stand as far as the everyday lineup. I got back to playing my baseball video game today and it really got me thing about how the Reds should set their lineup for 2007. Here's what I got, feel free to post your ideas.

1. CF Ryan Freel/Chris Denorfia
2. 1B Scott Hatteberg
3. LF Adam Dunn
4. 3B Edwin Encarnacion
5. RF Ken Griffey Jr.
6. C David Ross
7. 2B Brandon Phillips
8. SS Alex Gonzalez
9. pitcher

That would be mine too against RH. If no one is acquired how about this against LH?

1. Freel 3B
2. Denorfia CF
3. Dunn LF
4. Encarnacion 1B
5. Ross C
6. Griffey RF
7. Phillips 2B
8. Gonzalez SS

And when Griffey sits?

1. Freel RF
2. Denorfia CF
3. Dunn LF
4. Encarnacion 3B
5. Ross C
6. Hatteberg 1B
7. Phillips 2B
8. Gonzalez SS

Narron Sunday Special?

1. Denorfia CF
2. Castro SS
3. Dunn LF
4. Encarnacion 3B
5. Hamilton RF
6. Valentin 1B
7. Phillps 2B
8. Moeller C

Dunn and Encarnacion aren't allowed a day off.:)

Joseph
12-17-2006, 11:07 AM
You know Narron is going to look at Gonzalez in the 2 hole more often than he should.

Highlifeman21
12-17-2006, 11:21 AM
You know Narron is going to look at Gonzalez in the 2 hole more often than he should.

I fear that Narron will give both AGon and BPhil far too many looks for the 2 hole.

I also fear that we will see BPhil bat leadoff more than once this season.

Anyone else wanna take that bet?

kbrake
12-17-2006, 11:49 AM
I like
Freel
Dunn
Edwin
Griffey
Phillips
Hatte
Ross
Gonzalez

Betterread
12-17-2006, 11:54 AM
I'd like to see the order as follows:

1. Freel (or Denorfia - Yes, he's that good at getting on base, in time he may even exceed Freel's abilities in that area.)
2. Hatteberg
3. 4. Dunn / Griffey - depending on who's hot - in a best case scenario when they are both hitting well, 3. Dunn, 4. Griffey
5. Encarnacion
6. Phillips
7. Ross/Valentin
8. Gonzalez

When I consider this - I'm optimistic about the offensive potential. We could use another OF/1B power hitter off the bench (Craig Wilson / Ben Broussard would be perfect). I do think The Reds need more pop lower in the order - Phillips is a valuable member of the team, but a more dangerous 6th hitter is a need, and while Ross had that pop last year, count me dubious that he can repeat. If he repeats his performance again this year, I will gladly change my mind.

DoogMinAmo
12-17-2006, 11:59 AM
I'd like to see the order as follows:

1. Freel (or Denorfia - Yes, he's that good at getting on base, in time he may even exceed Freel's abilities in that area.)
2. Hatteberg
3. 4. Dunn / Griffey - depending on who's hot - in a best case scenario when they are both hitting well, 3. Dunn, 4. Griffey
5. Encarnacion
6. Phillips
7. Ross/Valentin
8. Gonzalez

When I consider this - I'm optimistic about the offensive potential. We could use another OF/1B power hitter off the bench (Craig Wilson / Ben Broussard would be perfect). I do think The Reds need more pop lower in the order - Phillips is a valuable member of the team, but a more dangerous 6th hitter is a need, and while Ross had that pop last year, count me dubious that he can repeat. If he repeats his performance again this year, I will gladly change my mind.

I have to agree the lineup against righties seems average, the bench is a glaring whole, and conversely the lineup against lefties will hurt.

The_jbh
12-17-2006, 02:35 PM
If I were making the opening day line up against a Righty i would go

CF Freel
1B Hatteburg
LF Dunn
3B Encarnacion
RF Griffey
2B Phillips
C Ross
SS Gonzalez

I expect Narron to give us

RF Freel
SS Gonzalez
CF Griffey
1B Hatteburg
3B Encarnacion
LF Dunn ( can't have 3 lefties in a row :runawaycr )
2B Phillips
C Ross
:help:

Big Klu
12-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Assuming no new acquisitions:

Starting Lineup (8):
CF Chris Denorfia
2B Brandon Phillips
LF Adam Dunn
RF Ken Griffey, Jr.
3B Edwin Encarnacion
1B Scott Hatteberg
C David Ross
SS Alex Gonzalez
<pitcher>

Bench (4):
C Javier Valentin
INF Juan Castro
INF/OF Ryan Freel
OF Josh Hamilton (The Rule 5 guy will make it, because the bench is pretty thin)

Rotation (5):
Aaron Harang
Bronson Arroyo
Eric Milton
Kyle Lohse
Matt Belisle

Bullpen (6):
David Weathers
Todd Coffey
Gary Majewski
Mike Stanton
Rheal Cormier
Bill Bray

That is 23 players, which leaves two spots up for grabs. The Reds will likely add a position player for the bench, and a relief pitcher--though they could possibly add two position players, and stay with a six-man bullpen (my preference).

Contenders for the remaining bench spot(s):
C Chad Moeller
INF Ray Olmedo
INF Brendan Harris
OF Bubba Crosby
OF Norris Hopper

Contenders for the (possible) final bullpen spot:
Elizardo Ramirez
Brian Shackelford

Highlifeman21
12-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Assuming no new acquisitions:

Starting Lineup (8):
CF Chris Denorfia
2B Brandon Phillips
LF Adam Dunn
RF Ken Griffey, Jr.
3B Edwin Encarnacion
1B Scott Hatteberg
C David Ross
SS Alex Gonzalez
<pitcher>

Bench (4):
C Javier Valentin
INF Juan Castro
INF/OF Ryan Freel
OF Josh Hamilton (The Rule 5 guy will make it, because the bench is pretty thin)

Rotation (5):
Aaron Harang
Bronson Arroyo
Eric Milton
Kyle Lohse
Matt Belisle

Bullpen (6):
David Weathers
Todd Coffey
Gary Majewski
Mike Stanton
Rheal Cormier
Bill Bray

That is 23 players, which leaves two spots up for grabs. The Reds will likely add a position player for the bench, and a relief pitcher--though they could possibly add two position players, and stay with a six-man bullpen (my preference).

Contenders for the remaining bench spot(s):
C Chad Moeller
INF Ray Olmedo
INF Brendan Harris
OF Bubba Crosby
OF Norris Hopper

Elizardo Ramirez
Brian Shackelford

Switch Phillips and Hatteberg and you have something. I know Narron will give us Phillips at the top of the lineup far too much, but there is no good reason to justify that move. But then again, there is no good reason to justify anything Narron does. This will serve as the biggest reason why we'll see Griffey in CF for at least 100 games this season instead of Denorfia.

Out of the guys fighting for the last position spot, I think we'll see Brendan Harris make the club. Freel will see more time in the OF, along with Josh Hamilton, so I think Harris will need to be our extra infielder, since Juan Castro is a glove man, at best.

I think you're dead on with the final two for last arm spots. This should be no contest between Ramirez and Shackelford. It should be Shackelford in a landslide. Ramirez needs to get his head on straight in AAA before he comes back North.

Big Klu
12-17-2006, 04:11 PM
I like Hatteberg in the #2 spot, and Phillips in the #6 spot, but I'm not crazy about having three straight lefties in the order, and I really think that #3-4 should be Dunn-Griffey. But if the Reds can find a suitable right-handed platoon partner for Hatteberg, so that he can be pinch-hit for against tough lefty relievers (Craig Wilson, please!), then I'm OK with a #2-3-4 of Hatteberg-Dunn-Griffey, and a lineup of:

Denorfia cf
Hatteberg 1b
Dunn lf
Griffey rf
Encarnacion 3b
Phillips 2b
Ross c
Gonzalez ss
<pitcher>

I just had an idea...how about this lineup? (Just thinking outside the box.)

Denorfia cf
Encarnacion 3b
Dunn lf
Griffey rf
Phillips 2b
Hatteberg 1b
Ross c
Gonzalez ss
<pitcher>

Highlifeman21
12-17-2006, 04:15 PM
I like Hatteberg in the #2 spot, and Phillips in the #6 spot, but I'm not crazy about having three straight lefties in the order, and I really think that #3-4 should be Dunn-Griffey. But if the Reds can find a suitable right-handed platoon partner for Hatteberg, so that he can be pinch-hit for against tough lefty relievers (Craig Wilson, please!), then I'm OK with a #2-3-4 of Hatteberg-Dunn-Griffey, and a lineup of:

Denorfia cf
Hatteberg 1b
Dunn lf
Griffey rf
Encarnacion 3b
Phillips 2b
Ross c
Gonzalez ss
<pitcher>

I just had an idea...how about this lineup? (Just thinking outside the box.)

Denorfia cf
Encarnacion 3b
Dunn lf
Griffey rf
Phillips 2b
Hatteberg 1b
Ross c
Gonzalez ss
<pitcher>

Not a bad thought outside the box, but I would go with Dunn in the 2 and EE in the 3. Dunn's historically produced in the 2 spot.

Ideally I would hit Dunn 3rd, EE 4th, and Griffey 5th, and then find someone that can OBP over .360 for the 2 spot.

If there should be one absolute for the 2007 campaign, it should be Alex Gonzalez in the 8 spot of the order. Unfortunately, I have a very bad feeling that Narron will bat him 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and 8 this year over the course of the year.

Big Klu
12-17-2006, 04:28 PM
I can go with Dunn in the #2, and Encarnacion in the #3. That sounds good.

I know that in theory a #3-4-5 of Dunn-Encarnacion-Griffey would be great, but I don't think that we would be able to talk Griffey into moving to RF and moving down to fifth in the same season. Fourth, maybe.

So maybe we can go with:

Denorfia cf
Dunn lf
Encarnacion 3b
Griffey rf
Phillips 2b
Hatteberg 1b
Ross c
Gonzalez ss
<pitcher>

I'm OK with Gonzalez hitting seventh, if Castro or Valentin (vs. lefties) happen to be in the order. but I agree that his usual spot should be eighth.

Also, maybe a rookie like Calvin Medlock can contend for the final bullpen spot. I would rather have the seventh man (if they are going with seven--I wish they wouldn't) be right-handed.

mth123
12-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Why do so many want Phillips hitting 6th (or 5th)? He's not a power guy. Phillips and Gonzo are 7th and 8th IMO.

Use EE 4th to break-up the lefties. Deno, Hatte (ick!), Dunn, EE, Griffey, Ross, Phillips and Gonzo.

Big Klu
12-17-2006, 04:36 PM
As I said earlier, I don't think the Reds can convince Griffey to move from CF to RF and move down to the #5 spot in the order at the same time. They might be able to do one or the other, but not both IMO. (I know some folks will say that you just let him know who's the boss, but the fact is that we are dealing with professional athletics, and there are massive egos involved--egos that you don't want to bruise.) A happy Griffey is very important to this club.

Now you might be able to convince Griffey to move to RF and move to the #4 spot in the order, because the clean-up spot is still a marquee spot in the order, and he still produces offensively like a #4 hitter should.

Willy
12-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Freel
Dunn
Griffey
EE
Hat
Ross
Phillips
Alex Gon

I think that is the best lineup vs left or right

wheels
12-17-2006, 07:30 PM
I'd put EE in the number two slot.

He's a got a heck of a good eye up there, and he's only going to get better.

The_jbh
12-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Why do so many want Phillips hitting 6th (or 5th)? He's not a power guy. Phillips and Gonzo are 7th and 8th IMO.

Use EE 4th to break-up the lefties. Deno, Hatte (ick!), Dunn, EE, Griffey, Ross, Phillips and Gonzo.

I don't want to see Phillips in the 5 spot but I think hes a good fit for 6. I remember a good amount of clutch hits from the kid last year.

A .297 .364 with 5 HRS and 59 RBIs with runners in scoring position last year doesnt hurt either

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=6857&type=batting&year=2006

reds44
12-17-2006, 08:52 PM
vs. LHP
1. Deno/Freel CF
2. Phillips 2B
3. Dunn LF
4. EE 3B
5. Griffey RF
6. Ross C
7. Hatte 1B
8. Gonzo SS

vs. RHP
1. Deno/Freel CF
2. Hatte 1B
3. Dunn LF
4. EE 3B
5. Griffey 3B
6. Phillips 2B
7. Ross C
8. Gonzo SS

edabbs44
12-17-2006, 10:26 PM
I would really like to see Deno get a shot in the 1 or 2 hole to start the year. And I hope Santa Krivsky brings him a CF's mitt for Christmas.

Mario-Rijo
12-17-2006, 10:54 PM
To Start the season I try something different just to find out if it he can stick. This is assuming we don't p/u a platoon partner for Hatteberg.

Starters: 8
VS. LH
Freel CF
Phillips 2B
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Griffey RF
Ross C
Jesse Gutierrez 1B
Gonzo SS
<pitcher>

VS. RH
Freel CF
Hatteberg 1B
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Griffey RF
Phillips 2B
Ross C
Gonzo SS
<pitcher>

Rotation: 5
Harang RH
Arroyo RH
Milton LH
Lohse RH
Elizardo RH

Pen: 7
Belisle RH (Long relief)
Brad Salmon RH
Cormier LH
Majewski RH
Coffey RH (Set-Up)
Stanton LH (Part Time Closer)
Weathers RH (Part Time Closer)

Bench: 5
Castro RH (2B,3B,SS Back Up)
Denorfia RH (4th OF)
Crosby LH (5th OF, Can play CF!!)
Valentin SH (C/1B)
Hatteberg/Gutierrez LH/RH combo (Whoever doesn't start)

That's 25 men. I'm assuming Hamilton and Burton end up in AAA (hopefully). I would also start Bray (in the pen) in AAA to get him some innings against some inferior competition to sharpen up that slider. Also so we can give Salmon a look see.

Meanwhile AAA would look pretty solid.

Dickerson CF
Olmedo 3B
Hopper RF
Votto 1B
Harris 2B
Hamilton/Garthwaite LF
Gil SS
Moeller C

Bench:
Ryan Jorgensen/Miguel Perez C
Earl Snyder 1B
Jay Garthwaite/Hamilton (woever doesn't start) OF
Aaron Herr (IF)
Bergolla (I hope)

Rotation:
Tom Shearn RH
Steve Kelly RH
Phil Dumatrait LH
Homer Bailey RH
Bobby Livingston LH

Pen:
Jake Robbins RH
Coutlangus LH
Shackelford LH
Jared Burton RH
Medlock RH
Shaefer RH
Bray LH

What do ya think?

Patrick Bateman
12-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Mario-Rijo,

If Burton and Hamilton are not on the 25 man roster for the entire season they have to be offered back to their respective teams before we retain their rights.

So there is no way that they would end up in AAA. And even if we could do that, we would probably put Hamilton in A ball, because that's basically the level of play that he is at right now.

Also, Gutierrez wouldn't be a very good option at 1st base. He only had a .805 OPS at AAA last season. In the majors that wouldn't translate to anything short of awful in regards to 1st basemen. He would likely be slightly better against lefties, but it shouldn't be difficult to find a cheap option that could outproduce Gutierrez against lefties. Even a guy like Lecroy could likely give you better production at a very low salary. Gutierrez simply isn't a major league calibre 1st baseman right now. Better alternatives are easy to find.

I'd also prefer to keep Bray at the major league level. IMO, he could be one of our top 2 relievers this season (with Coffey). At his age, the best way to improve his pitches are against tough competition at the major league level.

Mario-Rijo
12-18-2006, 12:02 AM
Mario-Rijo,

If Burton and Hamilton are not on the 25 man roster for the entire season they have to be offered back to their respective teams before we retain their rights.

So there is no way that they would end up in AAA. And even if we could do that, we would probably put Hamilton in A ball, because that's basically the level of play that he is at right now.

I understand that about Hamilton & Burton. I was making the assumption or at the very least hoping we could figure something out to keep them (I.E. work out something with their respective teams) but add them to our Minor League teams. I don't necc. agree with your opinion on Hamilton although I understand what you are saying. I wouldn't be opposed to it if they felt he could handle being sent all the way to A ball. But I think I would start him out in Chattanooga.

Also, Gutierrez wouldn't be a very good option at 1st base. He only had a .805 OPS at AAA last season. In the majors that wouldn't translate to anything short of awful in regards to 1st basemen. He would likely be slightly better against lefties, but it shouldn't be difficult to find a cheap option that could outproduce Gutierrez against lefties. Even a guy like Lecroy could likely give you better production at a very low salary. Gutierrez simply isn't a major league calibre 1st baseman right now. Better alternatives are easy to find.

Actually I'm not saying he is the best option, I am merely basing it on what's already available to us. And frankly there isn't a better option (internally) for that platoon situation than perhaps EE and he hasn't gotten much playing time at 1st and I wouldn't want him to move from 3rd anytime soon.

Gutierrez's line VS. LHP is very nice.
Avg-.293, OBP-.383, Slg-.537, OPS-.920 Granted it's a small sample size (41 AB's) and it's AAA, but why not give him the opportunity to fill that hole at the cheapest possible scenario. He's certainly going to be much cheaper than Lecroy for sure, and likely a better defensive option. Of course if the powers that be decide he cannot do it at this level they might as well cut bait with him. He is afterall 28 yrs. old, and will be 29 in June.

I'd also prefer to keep Bray at the major league level. IMO, he could be one of our top 2 relievers this season (with Coffey). At his age, the best way to improve his pitches are against tough competition at the major league level.

I do agree he could end up being one of the better arms in the pen. However he needs to tighten up that slider some more before he begins to really get shelled and loses all confidence. He won't be down in AAA for any other reason than to refine that pitch and then he's back. This is assuming I had it my way.

chettt
12-18-2006, 12:12 PM
This is my starting 8 vs righthanded starters:

Freel/ Denorfia cf
Dunn lf
Encarnacion 3b
Griffey rf
Phillips 2b
Hatteberg 1b
Ross c
Gonzalez ss

against lefties - Barring a trade - Kriv will aquire a low cost righthanded bat to platoon at 1st ( S Hillenbrand, C Wilson, E Perez, B Jordan or A Boone) - Why spend the money if it won't make a difference? My guess - B Jordan

Freel/ Denorfia cf
Dunn lf
Encarnacion 3b
Griffey rf
B Jordan 1b
Phillips 2b
Ross c
Gonzalez ss

4256 Hits
12-18-2006, 10:01 PM
I would bet that Gonzalez will get over 200 at bats in the 2 hole most like it will 350 at bats. Then Phillips will get most of the others. These guys are "fast" and that is what Jerry wants at the top of the order.

blumj
12-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Gonzalez is not fast at all. If Narron's tempted to bat him 2nd, it won't be because of his speed. Even by Red Sox standards, he doesn't have any.

Big Klu
12-25-2006, 11:01 AM
My updated opinion as of 12/25/06:

Starting Lineup v. RHP (8):
CF Chris Denorfia
3B Edwin Encarnacion
LF Adam Dunn
RF Ken Griffey, Jr.
2B Brandon Phillips
1B Scott Hatteberg
C David Ross
SS Alex Gonzalez
<pitcher>

Starting Lineup v. LHP (8):
CF Chris Denorfia
3B Edwin Encarnacion
LF Adam Dunn
RF Ken Griffey, Jr.
2B Brandon Phillips
1B Jeff Conine
C David Ross
SS Alex Gonzalez
<pitcher>

Bench (5):
C Javier Valentin
1B/OF Jeff Conine (or 1B Scott Hatteberg)
INF Juan Castro
INF/OF Ryan Freel (supersub will still get 3-4 starts a week)

Rotation (5):
Aaron Harang
Bronson Arroyo
Eric Milton
Kyle Lohse
Matt Belisle

Bullpen (6):
David Weathers
Todd Coffey
Gary Majewski
Mike Stanton
Rheal Cormier
Bill Bray

24 players, which leaves one spot up for grabs. The Reds will likely add a relief pitcher--though they could possibly add a position player, and stay with a six-man bullpen (my preference).

Contenders for the (possible) final bench spot:
C Chad Moeller
INF Ray Olmedo
OF/2B Norris Hopper
OF Bubba Crosby

Elizardo Ramirez
Brian Shackelford
Bobby Livingston
Calvin Medlock

pedro
12-25-2006, 05:35 PM
I'd put EE in the number two slot.

He's a got a heck of a good eye up there, and he's only going to get better.

I like EE lower in the lineup as he does such a good job of getting the bat on the ball. He could really drive in a lot of runs.

I'm still for Dunn in the 2 hole. It's unconventional, but it is where he has had the most success.

against RH

CF Chris Denorfia/Freel
LF Adam Dunn
RF Ken Griffey, Jr.
3B Edwin Encarnacion
1B Scott Hatteberg
C David Ross
2B Brandon Phillips
SS Alex Gonzalez

against LH

LF Freel
CF Chris Denorfia
1B Adam Dunn
3B Edwin Encarnacion
RF Ken Griffey, Jr.
C David Ross
2B Brandon Phillips
SS Alex Gonzalez

RedsManRick
12-25-2006, 07:53 PM
CF Deno/Freel
LF Dunn
3B EE
RF Griffey
1B Hatteberg/Conine
C Ross
2B Phillips
SS Gonzalez

- No more than one of the "speed" types at the top of the order and that is ONLY given that the OBP is high (.360 plus). Even this is only due to my bias to history. Why put speed in front of the guys who hit extra base hits which don't require speed to score on? Wouldn't those extra bases due to speed be more valuable when the guys hitting behind it aren't likely to advance that speedy runner on their own? Speed in front of a high average guy lower power like Sean Casey, sure? Speed in front of a low average, high power guy like Dunn or Junior? That makes no sense. Especially when Freel runs in to more outs than his speed is generating. So, I'll stick to it based on convention and the hope that Freel or Deno can be more efficiently productive on the basepaths. Also, a slight nod to the notion that there is some yet to be quantified value in "disrupting" the other team.

- At the end of the day, the biggest effect batting order determines is who gets the most at bats. I want the guys who produce the most runs getting the most at bats. It's really that easy. Dunn avoids outs and advances runners including himself better than anybody else on the team. I want that guy getting as many ABs as possible.

- EE does the OBP thing better than Jr and is an equal SLG threat, so he goes higher. It also avoids back to back lefties which makes the lineup susceptible to a LOOGY.

- Junior is the next best combo of OBP and SLG. Simple enough.

- I know that Hatteberg is an OBP guy and it seems counter-intuitive to bat him in an "RBI" spot. He's here out of necessity. His OBP merits a higher spot in the order than the 3 guys below him. Period. However, it comes down to the fact that I don't want him getting at bats late in a game before Dunn, EE, or Jr. Let's say they are Dunn (.380/.520), EE (.360/.480), Juinor (.340/.480), Hat (.380/.420). Yes, Dunn is more likely to drive in Hat than visa versa so perhaps you think it's better to have Dunn behind him. However, that assume that both guys are going to get a chance to hit. Dunn is more likely to drive in EVERYBODY else and there is no guarantee that both guys get to bat. In fact, with 2 outs, chances are that the next guy won't get a chance. If they both get on base equally well, let's have the guy who has the better chance to drive other in people in get the guaranteed AB.

- From there, it's basically just riding the hot guys in descending order. I'm nowhere close to sold on Ross, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

reds44
12-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Updated with the Conine acquisition:

vs. RHP:
1. Deno/Freel CF
2. Hatteberg 1B
3. Dunn LF
4. EE 3B
5. Griffey RF
6. Phillips 2B
7. Ross C
8. Seabass SS

vs. LHP
1. Deno/Freel CF
2. Phillips 2B
3. Dunn LF
4. EE 3B
5. Griffey RF
6. Conine 1B
7. Ross C
8. Seabass SS

Spring~Fields
12-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Updated with the Conine acquisition:

vs. RHP:
1. Deno/Freel CF
2. Hatteberg 1B
3. Dunn LF
4. EE 3B
5. Griffey RF
6. Phillips 2B
7. Ross C
8. Seabass SS

vs. LHP
1. Deno/Freel CF
2. Phillips 2B
3. Dunn LF
4. EE 3B
5. Griffey RF
6. Conine 1B
7. Ross C
8. Seabass SS

Nice lineup, at least you're playing the best that you have, unfortunately it is too obvious and Narron will never go for it.

reds44
12-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Nice lineup, at least you're playing the best that you have, unfortunately it is too obvious and Narron will never go for it.
Narron's lineup:
1. Phillips 2B
2. Seabass SS
3. Hatteberg 1B
4. Griffey CF
5. Conine RF
6. Dunn LF
7. Ross C
8. Castro 3B

Scrappy

RANDY IN INDY
12-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Who the heck is "Seabass."

RANDY IN INDY
12-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Ok, I see it is a nickname someone placed on Gonzalez. Next question. Anyone know why?

Marc D
12-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Narron's lineup:
1. Phillips 2B
2. Seabass SS
3. Hatteberg 1B
4. Griffey CF
5. Conine RF
6. Dunn LF
7. Ross C
8. Castro 3B

Scrappy

Griffey can't stay healthy long enough but if he could, that is very likely what we'd see from Jerry.

Eric_Davis
12-26-2006, 08:37 PM
To Start the season I try something different just to find out if it he can stick. This is assuming we don't p/u a platoon partner for Hatteberg.

Starters: 8
VS. LH
Freel CF
Phillips 2B
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Griffey RF
Ross C
Jesse Gutierrez 1B
Gonzo SS
<pitcher>

VS. RH
Freel CF
Hatteberg 1B
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Griffey RF
Phillips 2B
Ross C
Gonzo SS
<pitcher>

Rotation: 5
Harang RH
Arroyo RH
Milton LH
Lohse RH
Elizardo RH

Pen: 7
Belisle RH (Long relief)
Brad Salmon RH
Cormier LH
Majewski RH
Coffey RH (Set-Up)
Stanton LH (Part Time Closer)
Weathers RH (Part Time Closer)

Bench: 5
Castro RH (2B,3B,SS Back Up)
Denorfia RH (4th OF)
Crosby LH (5th OF, Can play CF!!)
Valentin SH (C/1B)
Hatteberg/Gutierrez LH/RH combo (Whoever doesn't start)

That's 25 men. I'm assuming Hamilton and Burton end up in AAA (hopefully). I would also start Bray (in the pen) in AAA to get him some innings against some inferior competition to sharpen up that slider. Also so we can give Salmon a look see.

Meanwhile AAA would look pretty solid.

Dickerson CF
Olmedo 3B
Hopper RF
Votto 1B
Harris 2B
Hamilton/Garthwaite LF
Gil SS
Moeller C

Bench:
Ryan Jorgensen/Miguel Perez C
Earl Snyder 1B
Jay Garthwaite/Hamilton (woever doesn't start) OF
Aaron Herr (IF)
Bergolla (I hope)

Rotation:
Tom Shearn RH
Steve Kelly RH
Phil Dumatrait LH
Homer Bailey RH
Bobby Livingston LH

Pen:
Jake Robbins RH
Coutlangus LH
Shackelford LH
Jared Burton RH
Medlock RH
Shaefer RH
Bray LH

What do ya think?

What do I think? I think you should be setting the lineups.

reds44
12-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Ok, I see it is a nickname someone placed on Gonzalez. Next question. Anyone know why?
I have no idea why, but Kevin Millar gave him that nickname when they both played in Florida.