PDA

View Full Version : romantic Cincinnati restaurant with vegan/vegetarian options?

cincinnati chili
12-17-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm going to be in town with Mrs. Chili, and would like to take her out for a nice dinner.

She doesn't eat any animal products.

A couple years ago we did China Gormet, but would prefer to do something different. There's obviously lots of great restaurants in town, but I'd prefer to offer her more than a plate of pasta with marinara sauce on it.

Also, I'd prefer to go on the late side (after 8pm, maybe as late as 9) on a Saturday night. My preference is to go within 15 minutes of Clifton. Downtown, Kentucky, Hyde Park are easy. When I go to the West side of town I get lost.

Any ideas?

REDblooded
12-17-2006, 10:52 PM
here's a winner...

http://www.cinweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050202/ENT0103/502020346/1047

paintmered
12-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Go to Tink's Cafe if you want good dining. Not a huge selection of vegan meals, but looking at their menu, they have some options....and live jazz.

http://www.cincinnati.com/dining/tinks/

It's located in the gaslight district.

cincinnati chili
12-17-2006, 11:02 PM
thanks for the help

vaticanplum
12-17-2006, 11:02 PM
The Comet in Northside is in no way romantic, but it has the best burritos ever. Good live music too.

I think Maya's Dionysus in Clifton is the standard for good vegetarian there...heavily Greek-influenced, obviously, but not completely. Cincinnati also has suprisingly good Thai and Indian food. I know a lot of vegetarians who love Shanghai Mama's downtown; I'm not big on Chinese, but I am vegetarian and can always find something to eat there.

I'll ask around...I know some foodies here who will have better suggestions than I do.

DoogMinAmo
12-17-2006, 11:04 PM
The best meal I had recently was at Nectar in Mt. Lookout. They had some vegetarian options, but I had the lamb and it was AMAZING. Also, the sushi bar Aqua a couple buildings up the street is the hottest night spot in the city. There are a couple resaturants in Northside that are great, I would recommend Slims especially. Boca, Kona Bistro, and Pho Paris in Oakley would also work, but ar pricey.

paintmered
12-17-2006, 11:07 PM
The Comet in Northside is in no way romantic, but it has the best burritos ever. Good live music too.

I think Maya's Dionysus in Clifton is the standard for good vegetarian there...heavily Greek-influenced, obviously, but not completely. Cincinnati also has suprisingly good Thai and Indian food. I know a lot of vegetarians who love Shanghai Mama's downtown; I'm not big on Chinese, but I am vegetarian and can always find something to eat there.

I'll ask around...I know some foodies here who will have better suggestions than I do.

It's not my style, but I've heard nothing but good things about Maya's Dionysus.

Also, for real Italian pasta, look no further than Biagio's Bistro on Ludlow. I cannot recommend that place enough, especially for an earlier date.

Redsland
12-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Well, I’m no grass-munching sissy, like your wife is, so defer to the members of the granola crowd for a truly informed opinion. That said, I can at least point you in a couple of directions.

First, right there in Clifton is Ambar India (http://dunes.cincinnati.com/dining/details.aspx?siteid=0&id=31&lid=34&cID=2). This is the place that all of the leaf-eaters rave about. However, I would not classify it as “romantic,” which is what you said you were looking for. The dinning room is a big, dingy room and the service is perfunctory. The food, however, is very good.

Right around the corner is Clifton’s best restaurant, Tink’s. (http://dunes.cincinnati.com/dining/details.aspx?siteid=0&id=1807&lid=2754&cID=2) If you’re looking for a romantic meal in Clifton, this is the place to go. Nice ambiance, live music on the weekends, and good food. Since it’s in Clifton, I’d bet dollars to gluten-free donuts that the restaurant offers vegetarian choices, but I have no idea what they may be or how extensive the selection is. Call first to verify.

Also in Clifton, among other places, is Skyline Chili, where my fur-worshipping friends used to enjoy the occasional black bean burrito.

Branching out, and again emphasizing “romantic,” there’s a place called Boca. (http://dunes.cincinnati.com/dining/details.aspx?siteid=0&id=206&lid=311&cID=2) This place used to be located in Northside, where it had a number of vegetarian options. It has since moved to Oakley Square, overhauled its menu, and gone to a prix fixe structure, so I do not know how vegetarian-friendly it is anymore. However, it was named Cincinnati’s best fine-dining restaurant by Cincinnati Magazine two years ago, and it is one of the city’s hottest see-and-be-seen spots. The restaurant has two sides. The formal dining room, and a more casual trattoria. Both offer the same food, which is excellent. If you’re looking for a night on the town, this would be a great place to start, followed by bar-hopping in Oakley and/or Hyde Park. But call ahead to find out how vegetarian-friendly they are first. And keep in mind that even if the menu is limited, the chef/owner, David Falk, is one of the city’s top two or three chefs, so he’ll certainly be able to spontaneously prepare something Peta-friendly, if necessary.

If you’re planning to go downtown, there’s a fun, upscale-casual place called Shanghai Mama’s (http://dunes.cincinnati.com/dining/details.aspx?siteid=0&id=7935&lid=5465&cID=2). If memory serves, it has a good number of choices for tofuivores, but call to verify.

Over in Covington is a neat little place called Greenup Café. (http://dunes.cincinnati.com/dining/details.aspx?siteid=0&id=10353&lid=10369&cID=2) In its pervious incarnation it was known as Wildflour, and it was very vegetarian friendly. It has since been bought and revamped by Cincinnati’s premier celebrity chef, Jean-Robert de Cavel. I believe he maintained a certain amount of vegetarian friendliness during the revamp, but call to verify. Also note that I would not classify this place as “romantic,” although I would call it “quaint.” If you’re going to be in Northern Kentucky, it would be a good place to start out, perhaps followed by drinks on Main Strasse. If you follow this advice, be sure to drop by Dee Felice (http://dunes.cincinnati.com/dining/details.aspx?siteid=0&id=521&lid=743&cID=2) for a drink and great live music in the tradition of New Orleans.

In Hyde Park, another of Jean-Robert’s restaurants is called Pho Paris (http://dunes.cincinnati.com/dining/details.aspx?siteid=0&id=2059&lid=3150&cID=2). It is a fusion of French and Vietnamese. If Hyde Park Square is where you plan to party, this might be a good place to start. Call to verify vegetarian friendliness.

Finally, speaking of celebrity chefs and romantic dinners, the best meal I ever had in Cincinnati was at Daveed’s (http://dunes.cincinnati.com/dining/details.aspx?siteid=0&id=513&lid=735&cID=2) in Mt. Adams. Chef/owner David Cook does an exceptional job of blending flavors and has an incredible knack for pulling food off the stove at the perfect time. Again, you’ll have to call ahead to verify vegetarian options, but if you’re going to Mt. Adams, or if you discover that David can accommodate Greenpeacers like your wife, I whole-heartedly recommend this place.

Roy Tucker
12-18-2006, 09:52 AM
My daughter (who works at Wild Oats and has gone all vegan and organic on me) goes to "Through the Garden" here in Blue Ash. It's on the web I think.

She and her leaf-munching friends love the place. I tell her and her friends to drop me off somewhere where I can get me a good bloody-rare murderburger.

westofyou
12-18-2006, 09:55 AM
First, right there in Clifton is Ambar India. This is the place that all of the leaf-eaters rave about. However, I would not classify it as “romantic,” which is what you said you were looking for. The dinning room is a big, dingy room and the service is perfunctory. The food, however, is very good.

This Leaf Eater always hits Ambar when in town. Pho Paris is good as is the Indian and Thai place in Hyde Park next to the Irish Bar.

M2
12-18-2006, 10:23 AM
She doesn't eat any animal products.

Full vegan? Yikes, that's got to wipe out most Italian places too. Pretty much all pasta's got some egg in it.

I imagine she eats a lot of Thai food.

westofyou
12-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Full vegan? Yikes, that's got to wipe out most Italian places too. Pretty much all pasta's got some egg in it.

Bangkok Bistro

Or Cumin then

SunDeck
12-18-2006, 10:45 AM
You can do vegan at indian restaurants, can't you? If so, I second the call for Ambar up on Ludlow. In fact, Chili- she can go there and you can hit Skyline. She'd be okay with that, right?

Anyway, Ambar. Or is it the one next door? There are two indian places on Ludlow- one is in the building that used to be the Gaslight and other is in the place that actually started as a vegetarian restaurant back in the late 80's, Ulysses IIRC. Either way, both of those restaurants are very good and it's always fun to go there to watch the parking lot drama between them.

westofyou
12-18-2006, 10:46 AM
it's always fun to go there to watch the parking lot drama between them.

Yep, hard to believe they're related.

vaticanplum
12-18-2006, 12:28 PM
My daughter (who works at Wild Oats and has gone all vegan and organic on me) goes to "Through the Garden" here in Blue Ash. It's on the web I think.

She and her leaf-munching friends love the place. I tell her and her friends to drop me off somewhere where I can get me a good bloody-rare murderburger.

I totally forgot that place existed...I worked there for about two days one summer years ago, then broke my anke. They totally owe me money for two training shifts. Thanks for the reminder, Roy.

Ltlabner
12-18-2006, 01:49 PM

I don't want to hijack the thread, but frankly I can't imagine going the rest of my life only eating veggies and avoiding all animal products. More power to the folks who have that kind of discipline because I just plain like to eat. I there isn't much on this earth I don't like to consume so to limit my choices so drastically would take every last once of joy out of eating for me.

Like I said, totally personal choice, but wowzie.

westofyou
12-18-2006, 01:51 PM
I can't imagine going the rest of my life only eating veggies and avoiding all animal products. It ain't a cakewalk. But I eat dairy.

M2
12-18-2006, 01:56 PM
It ain't a cakewalk. But I eat dairy.

It seems to me that cake and dairy go hand-in-hand. What could be easier?

Redsland
12-18-2006, 01:57 PM
My daughter (who works at Wild Oats and has gone all vegan and organic on me) goes to "Through the Garden" here in Blue Ash.
In the interest of full disclosure, this place has the ambiance of a road-side truck stop. FYI.

westofyou
12-18-2006, 01:58 PM
It seems to me that cake and dairy go hand-in-hand. What could be easier?

Milk's for babies.

M2
12-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Milk's for babies.

And mammals.

And anybody descended from northern Europeans (in relatively recent terms) or northern Asians (taking a more ancient view), as it's the ability to consume dairy that enabled people to survive in cold weather climates in the first place.

SunDeck
12-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Milk's for babies.

Well, at least it was until a few thousand years ago when people started housing their cows in the guest room. I had an allergy test about ten years ago and the only thing I was NOT allergic to was...bovine. The doc asked me if there was dairy farming in my family and the answer was yes, for about 900years. He said, "Oh, that makes sense- you've developed one immunity."

But we digress- little help in the city of brats and goetta for you, Chili. Unfortunately, the closest most places get to vegetarian (not to mention vegan) here is to offer a salad, or some chick pea loaf thing. I thought there would be more by now, but apparently not.

My wife (then girlfriend) lived above Mya's and we went there a lot. I agree that it's some great food. They place was very informal back then, and a tad on the...how to say...questionably clean side.

westofyou
12-18-2006, 02:53 PM
And mammals.

And anybody descended from northern Europeans (in relatively recent terms) or northern Asians (taking a more ancient view), as it's the ability to consume dairy that enabled people to survive in cold weather climates in the first place.

You should hear the Chinese clients I had in NYC complain about cheese on pizza, then they'd eat some fish dish for breakfast.

SunDeck
12-18-2006, 02:57 PM
You should hear the Chinese clients I had in NYC complain about cheese on pizza, then they'd eat some fish dish for breakfast.

They don't have Lucky Charms in China. Give 'em ten more years of this economic juggernaut stuff and they'll be eatin nothing but that and Screaming Yellow Zonkers.

M2
12-18-2006, 03:22 PM

Probably from coastal China. Head north and west and you'll run into folks who come from animal husbandry cultures (roast meats, dairy, grain farming), not that it means they'll necessarily be down with pizza.

pedro
12-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Probably from coastal China. Head north and west and you'll run into folks who come from animal husbandry cultures (roast meats, dairy, grain farming), not that it means they'll necessarily be down with pizza.

singapore & hong kong.

Roy Tucker
12-18-2006, 03:33 PM
In the interest of full disclosure, this place has the ambiance of a road-side truck stop. FYI.

Yep. And its in the middle of a light industrial area which all the ambiance of a trailer park.

But my free-range soy-loving tree-hugger daughter swears by it.

M2
12-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Yep. And its in the middle of a light industrial area which all the ambiance of a trailer park.

But my free-range soy-loving tree-hugger daughter swears by it.

So they zone vegetarian restaurants they same way they do strip clubs and adult bookshops?

Makes sense to me. Got to keep those things away from areas frequented by children.

KittyDuran
12-18-2006, 10:08 PM

But my free-range soy-loving tree-hugger daughter swears by it.Is that the place on Kenwood - that if you blink you miss it because it looks like it should be in a industrial park (which surrounds it in Blue Ash)? I think that a few co-workers went there for lunch earlier this year - I never got a full report on the food.

KittyDuran
12-18-2006, 10:12 PM
So they zone vegetarian restaurants they same way they do strip clubs and adult bookshops?

Makes sense to me. Got to keep those things away from areas frequented by children.They probably got a good rate on the lease... I can't remember what it was before - another restaurant I'm sure -but what kind? Besides the chain restaurants Blue Ash has family run as well - like Romels (sp?) and Blue Ash Chili. There used to be Maya's in a strip mall on Kenwood before the mall - I think it's a chain now.

cincinnati chili
12-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks for all of your help everyone. Yes, she's been vegetarian 10-12 years, and full-blown vegan for over 6 months. The former rarely made things difficult, but the latter is tough when you eat out.

Some of the suggestions are amusing. I'm pretty sure I'll hit skyline 4-5 times in a 3 day period, but I doubt that would fly for my anniversary dinner.

I had considered Myra's Dionysus before I saw the posting, but assumed it was a little on the informal side. How "unclean" is unclean? I've also heard parking sucks these days with the construction. It's too long a walk from my dad's place.

paintmered
12-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks for all of your help everyone. Yes, she's been vegetarian 10-12 years, and full-blown vegan for over 6 months. The former rarely made things difficult, but the latter is tough when you eat out.

Some of the suggestions are amusing. I'm pretty sure I'll hit skyline 4-5 times in a 3 day period, but I doubt that would fly for my anniversary dinner.

I had considered Myra's Dionysus before I saw the posting, but assumed it was a little on the informal side. How "unclean" is unclean? I've also heard parking sucks these days with the construction. It's too long a walk from my dad's place.

Myra's is across the street from the University Park apartments and their empty stores. There's public parking behind those apartments.