PDA

View Full Version : Coombs resigns from Colerain, joins UC staff

Reds4Life
12-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Should help with local recruiting.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/cincybearcats/

Kerry Coombs, who directed Colerain High in suburban Cincinnati to a Division I state championship and four other semifinal appearances, has been added to the University of Cincinnati coaching staff. Coombs will serve as defensive backs coach.
“We feel very fortunate to have Kerry Coombs joining the University of Cincinnati football program,” stated new UC head coach Brian Kelly. “He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to our staff. Kerry has a strong presence in Southwest Ohio and throughout the state. We also have a shared philosophy regarding player development.”
Coombs compiled a 161-34 record in 16 seasons at Colerain. His 2004 team posted a 15-0 record and won the state’s big school title with a 50-10 win over Canton McKinley in the championship game, setting a record for margin of victory. Over the last seven seasons, Colerain has won seven league titles while compiling an 86-8 record.
Coombs’ 2006 team went 13-1 and reached the state semifinals. Colerain was ranked No. 1 in the final Associated Press Ohio poll and No. 18 in the USA Today national rankings.
Coombs success at Colerain has emphasized defense, which he personally coached. In 2006, the Cardinals posted six shutouts and yielded just over a touchdown per game.
Coombs has mentored two of the last three Ohio Division I Defensive Player of the Year award winners, including current UC defensive tackle Terrill Byrd, who also won high school national defensive player of the year honors in 2004.
Coombs guided Colerain to 10 playoff appearances and seven undefeated regular season records. The Cardinals won the Greater Miami Conference title and advanced to the regional finals of the state playoffs in each of the past seven seasons.
Coombs was a member of the University of Dayton’s football team that was the NCAA Division III title in 1980. He completed his bachelor’s degree from Dayton in 1983 and later earned his master’s in education from Wright State.
The Bearcats begin getting ready for their Jan. 6, 2007 game vs. Western Michigan in the International Bowl in Toronto, Ont. Kelly and staff conduct their first practice for the International Bowl on Monday, Dec. 18.

Redlegs23
12-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Good news for UC football. Hopefully this can boost the in state recruiting efforts. Kelly is moving in the right direction by getting a few local guys on the staff.

Reds4Life
12-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Rumor is Eugene Clifford might decommit from Ohio State and follow Coombs to UC.

redsfan30
12-17-2006, 09:16 PM
Rumor is Eugene Clifford might decommit from Ohio State and follow Coombs to UC.

That would be a big loss for Ohio State but an even bigger get for UC.

Chip R
12-17-2006, 09:22 PM
If Kerry Coombs can do half as good of a job at UC as Jim Coombs has done in anything he has set his mind to, UC will be national champs. ;)

Edd Roush
12-17-2006, 09:36 PM
This a great thing for UC football as well as my alma mater, the Moeller Crusaders. Coombs had pretty much single-handedly turned around Colerain and turned them into the powerhouse of the GMC. He will certainly be missed by the Cardinals of Colerain but will be a major addition to the UC football staff.

max venable
12-17-2006, 10:11 PM

I know this'll enrage UC fans and accuse me of being an arrogant OSU fan...bu seriously, to decommit from the Bucks and go to UC would not be a wise choice. If you were a legit NFL prospect, why in the world would you pick UC over a school like OSU that has the absolute best equipment, facilities, coaches, trainers...they have NFL scouts who practically live there...PLUS you'll most likely have a chance to play for the national championship while being seen on TV every single weekend.

Also, to decommit--to go back on your word is just not cool.

Reds4Life
12-17-2006, 10:15 PM
I know this'll enrage UC fans and accuse me of being an arrogant OSU fan...bu seriously, to decommit from the Bucks and go to UC would not be a wise choice. If you were a legit NFL prospect, why in the world would you pick UC over a school like OSU that has the absolute best equipment, facilities, coaches, trainers...they have NFL scouts who practically live there...PLUS you'll most likely have a chance to play for the national championship while being seen on TV every single weekend.

You are right, you do sound like an arrogant OSU fan.

max venable
12-17-2006, 10:21 PM
You are right, you do sound like an arrogant OSU fan.

Really? I think it's a legitimate arguement. And it's not just an OSU thing, I'd say the same if he was committed to USC or Texas or Oklahoma. It's just a fact.

dougdirt
12-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Lets see, decommit from a team who puts more DBs in the NFL than anyone and go to UC....or stay put with the team who puts nearly every DB they have in the NFL every year? Coming from a Colerain grad and fan, Eugene would be absolutely stupid to pass up the shot at OSU if he wants to play on Sundays one day.

paintmered
12-17-2006, 10:31 PM
Lets see, decommit from a team who puts more DBs in the NFL than anyone and go to UC....or stay put with the team who puts nearly every DB they have in the NFL every year? Coming from a Colerain grad and fan, Eugene would be absolutely stupid to pass up the shot at OSU if he wants to play on Sundays one day.

Blue Adams, Artrell Hawkins, Daven Holly and Robert Tate say hi.

All are UC cornerbacks playing in the NFL.

dougdirt
12-17-2006, 10:38 PM
That is very true. What round were they drafted in?

My point is, OSU is going to get you a better draft spot, more money, more exposure and probably better coaching.

I am a big UC football fan, so I am not taking a shot at them. They are #2 in my book of teams I like, but it makes little sense to not go to OSU to go to UC.

DoogMinAmo
12-17-2006, 10:40 PM

All in the past... He can come into UC and start right away, and get the experience and exposure in a BCS conference. Not advocating renegging on one's word, just saying it could make some sense, especially if he loved his old coach.

DoogMinAmo
12-17-2006, 10:42 PM

FYI max, UC's new varsity village is said to compare with the best in the nation, period. UC is not as low on the totem pole as you may imply, although we both will agree that OSU is on the top.

MWM
12-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Call me what you want, but Eugene Clifford is the best at his position in the country. IMO, based purely on football alone, he'd be insane to pass up a chance to go to a DB factory at Ohio State to go to UC. Now there might be other non-football reasons why he'd want to stay closer to home, and I surely understand that. But sticking around purely for Coombs would be folly, IMO.

paintmered
12-17-2006, 10:48 PM
That is very true. What round were they drafted in?

None of them were high rounders but in my mind that matters little. Here what matters more....

Blue Adams - played in 12 games so far this year with Tampa Bay
Artrell Hawkins - played in 11 games this year with New England
Daven Holly - played in 12 games with Cleveland
Robert Tate - played in 5 games with Arizona

Tate excluded, these guys are seeing serious playing time. Does it matter that Blue Adams was a 7th round pick? T.J. Houshmanzadeh was a 7th round pick for the record and he turned out okay.

Sure OSU has a better track record of producing NFL DBs - one of the best in the country. But please stop with the myth that UC hasn't produced any themselves.

max venable
12-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Blue Adams, Artrell Hawkins, Daven Holly and Robert Tate say hi.

All are UC cornerbacks playing in the NFL.

Shawn Springs
Ahmed Plummer
Nate Clements
Will Allen
Mike Doss
Tyler Everett
Dustin Fox
Chris Gamble
Donnie Nickey
Nate Salley
Donte Whitner
Antoine Winfield
Ashton Youboty

all say hi.

(Hey, I had to...I can't leave that one go...)

max venable
12-17-2006, 11:04 PM
None of them were high rounders but in my mind that matters little. Here what matters more....

Does it matter that Blue Adams was a 7th round pick? T.J. Houshmanzadeh was a 7th round pick for the record and he turned out okay.

Yes! It matters A LOT! $$$$$$$$$

CTA513
12-17-2006, 11:06 PM
Ive never seen the guy play, but my guess is he would probably have a better chance starting right away with UC then he would with OSU.

Caveat Emperor
12-17-2006, 11:07 PM
Call me what you want, but Eugene Clifford is the best at his position in the country. IMO, based purely on football alone, he'd be insane to pass up a chance to go to a DB factory at Ohio State to go to UC. Now there might be other non-football reasons why he'd want to stay closer to home, and I surely understand that. But sticking around purely for Coombs would be folly, IMO.

Talent finds the first round, no matter where you go to school. That you have to go to a bigtime school to make the NFL is a myth.

It's not like he's dropping down to the minor leagues -- UC is still a BCS school and still plays a fair number of nationally televised games. Ask Pacman Jones how playing in the Big East hurt his draft status.

Reds4Life
12-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Talent finds the first round, no matter where you go to school. That you have to go to a bigtime school to make the NFL is a myth.

Yup.

Chip R
12-17-2006, 11:14 PM
I know this'll enrage UC fans and accuse me of being an arrogant OSU fan...bu seriously, to decommit from the Bucks and go to UC would not be a wise choice. If you were a legit NFL prospect, why in the world would you pick UC over a school like OSU that has the absolute best equipment, facilities, coaches, trainers...they have NFL scouts who practically live there

Well there are NFL scouts who actually live in Cincinnati. You remember the Bengals?

But you're right about all the rest of OSU's advantages. But perhaps he figures he'll get lost in the shuffle at OSU and he'd like to play for his HS coach. And, I'm sure there have been kids who gave their verbals to other schools and then decided to go to OSU cause a scholarship opened up.

max venable
12-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Well there are NFL scouts who actually live in Cincinnati. You remember the Bengals?

And the last great CB to play for the Bengals was....

...just messin' :thumbup:

HotCorner
12-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Nice hire by UC. Big loss for Cincinnati high school football.

MWM
12-17-2006, 11:43 PM
It's about development, IMO. There's a reason why the best players tends to migrate to the best schools. He's going to be going against the elite of the elite receivers in practice every day at OSU and will be competing for playing time against other top notch DBs. And I think the competition he'll face at OSU will be a little better than at UC. That's what makes one better. You don't have to have to be at a big time program to make it to the NFL, but it sure does have advantages.

Cedric
12-18-2006, 01:48 AM

It's not like he's dropping down to the minor leagues -- UC is still a BCS school and still plays a fair number of nationally televised games. Ask Pacman Jones how playing in the Big East hurt his draft status.

Talent needs to be developed. His technique was attrocious at times this season. Wouldn't he be best served to attend the best college in the world for his skills?

Passing up Ohio State for UC is just not gonna happen with a 4/5 * kid like Clifford.

He's already said nothing has changed.

max venable
12-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Elite players want to play at elite programs in front of 105,000 people every Saturday...programs that sends tons of DB's to the pros. They also want to compete for BCS games and national championships. None of those things can be said about UC. It's not meant to be an arrogant statement...just a fact. I'd say the same thing about other elite programs. UC is not one of them and, in reality, does not have the potential to be one.

LoganBuck
12-18-2006, 08:51 AM
max that is a bit tough on UC. Clifford is probably still headed to OSU and he already has stated that. My guess is that UC makes a push and he listens, OSU fans go into convulsions, and then he firms up his committment to OSU. OSU's track record for defensive backs, is challenged only by FSU and Miami.

max venable
12-18-2006, 09:07 AM
max that is a bit tough on UC.
Did I say anything that is untrue?

beb30
12-18-2006, 09:47 AM
In terms of Clifford - I'm not sure why playing for his old Coach from Colerain at UC, staying at home where family and friends can watch him, and probably have a chance to start his Freshman year without any problem, and not worry about any playing time controversy would make his decision to decommit from OSU stupid.....:confused:

Puffy
12-18-2006, 12:18 PM
If Kerry Coombs can do half as good of a job at UC as Jim Coombs has done in anything he has set his mind to, UC will be national champs. ;)

true dat.

LoganBuck
12-18-2006, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=beb30;1213859]In terms of Clifford - I'm not sure why playing for his old Coach from Colerain at UC, staying at home where family and friends can watch him[QUOTE]

There are plenty of seats for all of them.

[QUOTE], and probably have a chance to start his Freshman year without any problem, and not worry about any playing time controversy would make his decision to decommit from OSU stupid.....:confused:[QUOTE]

The cream rises to the top, starting time should be earned and reflective of his talent, not the lack of talent on the team. Ever wonder why top teams reload, instead of rebuild?

Caveat Emperor
12-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Talent needs to be developed. His technique was attrocious at times this season. Wouldn't he be best served to attend the best college in the world for his skills?

Ohio State University does not hold a monopoly on good coaching.

Do they put tons of DBs in the NFL because the coaching is great, or because they get tons of blue chip recruits who would make the NFL anywhere regardless of where they went?

Cedric
12-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Ohio State University does not hold a monopoly on good coaching.

Do they put tons of DBs in the NFL because the coaching is great, or because they get tons of blue chip recruits who would make the NFL anywhere regardless of where they went?

Ohio State has a much better track record than UC does in that regard.

The Buckeyes best two best secondary players are a 2* and a 3*. They are going to put a former Walk on in the NFL after this season.

They don't just cherry pick 5* talent and then pump them into the NFL.

pedro
12-18-2006, 03:23 PM
The unmitigated gall of an 18 year kid maybe not wanting to go to the hall of ... um ... oh yeah Ohio State. When are they going to merge those two places anyway? They're pretty much the same place I hear.

LoganBuck
12-18-2006, 03:28 PM
The unmitigated gall of an 18 year kid maybe not wanting to go to the hall of ... um ... oh yeah Ohio State. When are they going to merge those two places anyway? They're pretty much the same place I hear.

Pretty much I think they are building it next to the Jack Nicklaus Museum.

Clifford has said his commit is solid. This is really just peeing in the wind.

Cedric
12-18-2006, 03:29 PM

I hope you aren't talking to me. I'm not stating that Eugene couldn't have great success at UC or couldn't grow into a great player. I was just speaking on some reasons as to why his commitment would probably stick. It's not like the distance is much a factor.

I think some anti Osu fans on this board are whining and causing more problems than most Ohio State fans. I'm sure a few people are a little over the top in Ohio State bravado, but not everyone of us deserves to be mocked for giving our opinions.

pedro
12-18-2006, 03:36 PM
I hope you aren't talking to me. I'm not stating that Eugene couldn't have great success at UC or couldn't grow into a great player. I was just speaking on some reasons as to why his commitment would probably stick. It's not like the distance is much a factor.

I think some anti Osu fans on this board are whining and causing more problems than most Ohio State fans. I'm sure a few people are a little over the top in Ohio State bravado, but not everyone of us deserves to be mocked for giving our opinions.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend any fans of "the best college in the world" ;)

LoganBuck
12-18-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend any fans of "the best college in the world" ;)

Dude Cedric is a UC fan.

pedro
12-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Dude Cedric is a UC fan.

That must be very lonely.

I went to OU, how do you think that makes me feel? ;)

beb30
12-18-2006, 03:47 PM
There are plenty of seats for all of them.

Sorry not a good enough answer......

Caveat Emperor
12-18-2006, 03:48 PM

Don't you mean tOU?

After all, it was there first. :evil:

Roy Tucker
12-18-2006, 03:50 PM
I was more than a little surprised to see Coombs take this position with UC. He had about as good of a high school program going as you could find in an Ohio public school.

I guess he wants to see what he can do coaching at the next level.

Should be interesting to see if Colerain can keep their juggernaut going. It's one thing to have a legend retire (like Bob Gregg at Centerville). But it's another thing to have a coach quit in the in middle of a great run.

westofyou
12-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Dude Cedric is a UC fan.

But would he know Gary Yoder if he came to his door?

pedro
Don't you mean tOU?

My favorite graffiti I ever saw in a bar I read in the bathroom at the Union in Athens.

It said "I hate this part of West Virginia"

LoganBuck
Sorry not a good enough answer......

Play in front of maybe 20,000 people or in front of 105,000? If you want the big time, which do you choose?

LoganBuck
12-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Don't you mean tOU?

The tOSU stuff came from a trademark boondoggle years ago with Ohio University. Ohio State started printing materials that said The Ohio State University. Then ABC switched to using the video starting lineups where the players introduced themselves around 1998. Eddie George started saying tOSU as a joke and it caught on. Internet posters use it now.

beb30
12-18-2006, 04:06 PM
, and probably have a chance to start his Freshman year without any problem, and not worry about any playing time controversy would make his decision to decommit from OSU stupid.....:confused:[QUOTE]

The cream rises to the top, starting time should be earned and reflective of his talent, not the lack of talent on the team. Ever wonder why top teams reload, instead of rebuild?

Thats great, however he may develop quite a bit more being able to start and get playing time rather than sitting on the bench possibly redshirting, then his freshman year and not actually playing till his 3rd year in college.

beb30
12-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Play in front of maybe 20,000 people or in front of 105,000? If you want the big time, which do you choose?

As I just posted above He'll probably be sitting on the bench in front of 105,000 people.

I understand your point about playing for a huge program and a national contender bla bla bla.

I'm sure there are other people out there that are Top prospects that would rather stay closer to home, get quicker playing time, and possibly be remembered as a player who helped build the program (almost legendary).

Heath
12-18-2006, 04:09 PM

That you can really party on Halloween???

:D

LoganBuck
12-18-2006, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE], and probably have a chance to start his Freshman year without any problem, and not worry about any playing time controversy would make his decision to decommit from OSU stupid.....:confused:

Thats great, however he may develop quite a bit more being able to start and get playing time rather than sitting on the bench possibly redshirting, then his freshman year and not actually playing till his 3rd year in college.

I doubt he actually redshirts at OSU. He may play early there as well. Ohio State has an opening at SS next year, and the FS is up for grabs as well. He may play WR according to some "insiders". The point is OSU would not guarantee him a starting spot, if he earns it he gets the nod, and Jim Tressel has proven that he will play freshmen all over the field, and at safety. During the 2002 National Championship year Nate Salley and Tyler Everett both logged serious minutes as true freshmen. One caveat is that he is close on grades, especially for Ohio State, if he has a down first semester at Colerain, maybe UC has a better shot than I think they do. UC has a little more room to be flexible with recruits grades.

LoganBuck
12-18-2006, 04:17 PM
As I just posted above He'll probably be sitting on the bench in front of 105,000 people.

I understand your point about playing for a huge program and a national contender bla bla bla.

I'm sure there are other people out there that are Top prospects that would rather stay closer to home, get quicker playing time, and possibly be remembered as a player who helped build the program (almost legendary).

The closer to home arguement only flies with out of state recruiting. His parents are two hours away in Cincinnati, not eight.

Edd Roush
12-18-2006, 04:20 PM

Permanently hung-over?

pedro
12-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Permanently hung-over?

sticky. ;)

beb30
12-18-2006, 04:38 PM
The closer to home arguement only flies with out of state recruiting. His parents are two hours away in Cincinnati, not eight.

Look I'm starting to think your not getting my point. I'm just simply saying that I could see the possibility of him coming to UC a little more now with Coombs coming to UC and him living relatively close to clifton. I never said he is coming or will come. Most of it is theoretical, but to sit here and say that the possibility is nil is asinine.

LoganBuck
12-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Look I'm starting to think your not getting my point. I'm just simply saying that I could see the possibility of him coming to UC a little more now with Coombs coming to UC and him living relatively close to clifton. I never said he is coming or will come. Most of it is theoretical, but to sit here and say that the possibility is nil is asinine.

Did I say that, look up this page. I allowed for that possibility contingent on grades. I was refuting your arguements.

FWIW his parents wanted him to choose Ohio State when he committed.

beb30
12-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Did I say that, look up this page. I allowed for that possibility contingent on grades. I was refuting your arguements.

FWIW his parents wanted him to choose Ohio State when he committed.

Your comments certainly come off as saying there is no posibility whatsoever. I mean from the way your sounding your either an immediate relative, or inside Clifford's head. Apparently you know what hes thinking, and what he wants.

Where did you see his parents wanted to choose OSU? Before or after they learned Coombs was given a coaching job at UC?

dougdirt
12-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Eugene has a legit shot at starting next year at Ohio State. Whether he gets time on offense, plays some nickel or dime, or even wins a SS or FS spot out of summer practice. He is a game changer. I have watched him play since he was a Sophomore playing for that 2004 Colerain team that may have been the best team in the history of Ohio.

Eugene Clifford Video on youtube. All before senior season I believe. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ZCLc8rH2M)

Redlegs23
12-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Another OSU vs. UC thread and I haven't even posted yet! I feel like I'm missing out.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/preps/

Here's a little update on Clifford. He's calling the possibility of changing his committment to UC a "slight possibility." I think he'll listen to what Coombs has to say, and then tell him no thanks. Obviously I would love for him to go to UC instead, but I really don't see it happening, unless Coombs and him have a really close relationship.

beb30
12-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Eugene has a legit shot at starting next year at Ohio State. Whether he gets time on offense, plays some nickel or dime, or even wins a SS or FS spot out of summer practice. He is a game changer. I have watched him play since he was a Sophomore playing for that 2004 Colerain team that may have been the best team in the history of Ohio.

Eugene Clifford Video on youtube. All before senior season I believe. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ZCLc8rH2M)

Def looks awesome

beb30
12-19-2006, 09:41 AM
In the wake of his coach's decision to leave Colerain for the University of Cincinnati, Cardinals standout safety Eugene Clifford may not be solid on his commitment to play for Ohio State next season. The Enquirer/Channel 9 Player of the Year has orally committed to OSU, but on Monday afternoon he said he would consider joining Kerry Coombs at UC. Coombs would be Clifford's coach at UC as defensive backs coach. "I'm not sure yet," Clifford said, calling the move a "slight" possibility. --Mike Dyer

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061219/SPT0101/612190405/-1/CINCI

huh imagine that a possibility.....:thumbup:

Heath
12-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Tactical recruiting move by UC. It's not dirty or illegal.

It would be like Ted Ginn, Sr. becoming offensive coordinator at tOSU.

Anyway, OSU just grabbed the number #8 rated corner in the nation from Florida. C'est la vie.

I hope Clifford comes to Ohio State. I think he could start pretty quickly and be a defensive force in the Big 10. He's a good kid. I don't know what his academic standing is, but I am hoping he's a leader in the classroom as well.

paintmered
12-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Tactical recruiting move by UC. It's not dirty or illegal.

It's a strategic move by UC. This move goes beyond Clifford. UC didn't have anybody on the staff to credibly mine the local area, they do now. It's still a good move by Kelly regardless of Clifford's decision.

I know some of the other GCL programs don't have the best relationship with Coombs, but he's a name that everyone in the tri-state area knows - probably even the entire state.

Heath
12-19-2006, 01:38 PM
It's a strategic move by UC. This move goes beyond Clifford. UC didn't have anybody on the staff to credibly mine the local area, they do now. It's still a good move by Kelly regardless of Clifford's decision.

I know some of the other GCL programs don't have the best relationship with Coombs, but he's a name that everyone in the tri-state area knows - probably even the entire state.

I didn't criticize the move at all, it's a tactical move. Brian Kelly is a smart man. Get a local guy who knows the community. John Cooper did that with Fred Pagac at Ohio State.

It goes on everywhere. Especially in Arkansas.

paintmered
12-19-2006, 01:40 PM
It goes on everywhere. Especially in Arkansas.

Absolutely. I just think this hire was made with more than Clifford in mind.

LoganBuck
12-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Over on the OSU boards, their seems to be some smoke beyond the Coombs thing. Claims of a possible legal issue and grades are sneaking in to the conversation. Also a couple weeks ago OSU recruited a safety out of the blue, from Columbus, and everybody asked why. Perhaps Clifford may be on the outs in Columbus. I will respectfully eat my hat if true.

Redlegs23
12-19-2006, 05:26 PM
There's a little about Clifford in this article from the Enquirer.

Eugene Clifford, a senior on Colerain's football team, called his former coach "a great motivator. He's been great for the community.

"He taught us to keep our heads up, and he got the community to support us."

Clifford plans to attend Ohio State University and play football in the fall in Columbus.

Now, he knows someone on UC's coaching staff. When asked if he's tempted to change universities, he replied: "Maybe."

I still think Clifford will end up a Buckeye. He really can't go wrong either way in my opinion, but the stardom that awaits him at OSU would be hard to turn down for a school that doesn't get near as much fan support for its football team. I think UC football is improving and I'm really excited about that, but he has to do what's best for him, and he's the only one that knows what that is.

beb30
12-19-2006, 09:38 PM
going to UC or going to OSU wont change the fact of rather he is a "star" or not

Redlegs23
12-19-2006, 09:52 PM
going to UC or going to OSU wont change the fact of rather he is a "star" or not

Right, but what I meant was he'll get a lot more media attention at OSU that he will at UC due to the number of people that follow the Buckeyes as well as the increased media attention OSU gets compared to UC.

beb30
12-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Right, but what I meant was he'll get a lot more media attention at OSU that he will at UC due to the number of people that follow the Buckeyes as well as the increased media attention OSU gets compared to UC.

I'll agree to that

max venable
12-20-2006, 10:25 AM
from scout.com:

With Coach Coombs leaving and going to Cincinnati, does this affect your status as a verbal commitment to Ohio State?

Eugene Clifford: I’m still solid with OSU at this time. I’m set to take my official visit to Ohio State on January 12th so nothing has changed with me and Ohio State.

Dave Berk: As you know the internet can sometimes move very fast with news and rumor. Today, not only was there news of Coach Coombs leaving, there was talk you’d gotten in trouble with the law. Is there any truth to this or is it just talk?

Eugene Clifford: There is nothing to the rumor and I’ve seen it myself. It’s just a lot of people talking to talk. This is no big deal and I’m not worried about it.
LINK (http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p=2&c=601800)

paintmered
12-20-2006, 12:33 PM
from scout.com:

LINK (http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p=2&c=601800)

This scout.com article predates the Enquirer bit.

LoganBuck
12-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Berk is on some scout message boards, and he has talked to some of the former Colerein players at UC. He thinks that there is more of a chance now, than when he wrote that, max.

StillFunkyB
12-20-2006, 09:47 PM

I'm a Bucks fan, and I don't really see it as being bad choice. In fact, it could be a very good one for him. What happens if he gets buried on the depth chart at OSU?

max venable
02-08-2007, 10:23 PM
So much for "Gene" chaning his mind and going to UC.

Go Bucks!

cincy09
02-08-2007, 10:39 PM
So much for "Gene" chaning his mind and going to UC.

Go Bucks!

I cant believe anyone thought this was a possibility

beb30
02-09-2007, 03:02 PM
I cant believe anyone thought this was a possibility

b/c staying in your hometown and playing for your high school coach and being part of helping a program build itself is out of the realm of possibility....:confused:

dougdirt
02-09-2007, 03:24 PM
b/c staying in your hometown and playing for your high school coach and being part of helping a program build itself is out of the realm of possibility....:confused:

In this case, I say yes. Ohio State puts defensive backs in the NFL every year. Eugene has a chance to be a playmaker for them as soon as next year (although more likely 2008). I am a fan of both UC and OSU, they are the only two teams I root for. I also went to Colerain HS, but the odds of changing from OSU to UC for a guy who was the #1 safety in the country (depends who you ask, but some thought he was) seems a little silly, regardless of who the coach is.

Caveat Emperor
02-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Eugene has a chance to be a playmaker for them as soon as next year (although more likely 2008).

He would have almost definately started as a true freshman at UC.

paintmered
02-09-2007, 05:21 PM
The story I heard was Eugene really was 50/50 until Tressel made a trip to Colerain a few weeks ago for an autograph session. That wrapped it up.

I can't validate this - just what I heard through the grapevine.

RANDY IN INDY
02-09-2007, 06:13 PM
And here I thought Jim Combs had taken to football.;)

dougdirt
02-09-2007, 06:44 PM
He would have almost definately started as a true freshman at UC.

He might start as a true freshman at OSU....