PDA

View Full Version : Disney World help

IowaRed
12-18-2006, 10:53 AM
My family and I will be driving to Orlando at the end of the month from Dec 31-Jan 8. My wife and many of her family members are participating in either the Disneyworld Marathon or 1/2 Marathon. We will be driving from Iowa to Orlando with a 3 yr old boy and a 5 yr old girl. We will have a DVD player, snacks, books, toys, tranquilizers, etc. for the kids in the car, I'm more curious about things to see or avoid while in the Orlando area-geared specifically for that age group. My wife would also like to spend a night somewhere near the beach on the way down. So I'm also looking for a kid-friendly, safe place to spend part of a day and night, probably on the coast somewhere between Jacksonville and Orlando. Thanks in advance :)

deltachi8
12-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Iowa... head to www.disboards.com. You will find plenty of freindly, helpful people there that will help you.

Highlifeman21
12-18-2006, 12:46 PM
My family and I will be driving to Orlando at the end of the month from Dec 31-Jan 8. My wife and many of her family members are participating in either the Disneyworld Marathon or 1/2 Marathon. We will be driving from Iowa to Orlando with a 3 yr old boy and a 5 yr old girl. We will have a DVD player, snacks, books, toys, tranquilizers, etc. for the kids in the car, I'm more curious about things to see or avoid while in the Orlando area-geared specifically for that age group. My wife would also like to spend a night somewhere near the beach on the way down. So I'm also looking for a kid-friendly, safe place to spend part of a day and night, probably on the coast somewhere between Jacksonville and Orlando. Thanks in advance :)

1st of all, good luck in the marathon!

Not sure which way you're drivin, but Jacksonville is NE of Orlando, so you may end up backtracking. If you're goin down 75, then I would recommend a beach in the Tampa area, and then just take 4 over to Orlando.

As for things to see for kids in Orlando, there's plenty, and most of it is actually on the West side of the City. Sea World, Disney, Universal, all on the West side. My rule of thumb has always been that you'll find what you want on International Dr. I would avoid Downtown or the Eastern part of Orlando.

oneupper
12-18-2006, 01:00 PM
I've lost count of the times I've been to Orlando, but I still get a bit lost driving around in the city. Stick around the main roads and avoid 192 because of the traffic lights.

As for attractions, given the age of your kids, Magic Kingdom is pretty much it. Universal and Isles of Adventure is for larger kids (roller coasters, etc.). You might want to try Disney's Animal Kingdom, but that might be pushing it.
You might want to go to a water park, weather permitting (It can get cold in Orlando). Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon are quite kid-friendly.

The hotels in Disney have "character" breakfasts and stuff which the little ones like a lot. You might want to sign up for that.

Good luck on the trip. Iowa to Orlando is a LONG way.