PDA

View Full Version : Bonderman re-ups with Tigers

Redus
12-18-2006, 04:26 PM
per rotoworld:

Tigers agreed to terms with RHP Jeremy Bonderman on a four-year contract through 2010.

The contract buys out Bonderman's first two years of free agency. Terms have yet to be released, but something like $36 million-$40 million seems like a good guess. A healthy Bonderman likely would have commanded $13 million-$15 million per year as a free agent.

So much for any thoughts of him for Dunn

M2
12-18-2006, 04:31 PM
That ought to set the rough market for Harang though. They've got the same amount of service time.

Tom Servo
12-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Well I'd like to see Wayne go after another Tigers pitcher, Zach Miner. He pitched well in his rookie year this last season and looks to be an odd man out in the rotation and pen in Detroit.

boognish
12-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Miner would be a marginal upgrade, but I'd hate to give up much for him, and the Tigers certainly aren't going to give him away as he will turn 25 just before the start of the season. The short porch in RF at GABP would be alarming as LHB mashed him to the tune of .320/.396/.513.

As someone else mentioned, the Bonderman contract is a good data point for determining the contract we offer Harang. 4-year contracts for pitchers are sometimes firghtening, but to buy out some of the FA time, it may be a necessity. Harang has put up consecutive seasons performing in the top eschelon of SP in the NL, so extra years will likely be what it takes.

jojo
12-18-2006, 05:26 PM
I was hoping this wouldn't happen until after Harang was locked up....

M2
12-18-2006, 05:41 PM
I was hoping this wouldn't happen until after Harang was locked up....

I think it will be beneficial when it comes to signing Harang. It might even act as a cap for Harang (based on Bonderman being a hotter property, not a better pitcher). I certainly wouldn't complain if the Reds inked Harang to a deal like that.

Spring~Fields
12-18-2006, 05:51 PM
ESPN breaks it down this way:

Bonderman, who would have been eligible for free agency after the 2008 season, gets $4.5 million in 2007, $8.5 million in 2008 and $12.5 million in each of the following two seasons.

Johnny Footstool
12-18-2006, 05:53 PM
ESPN breaks it down this way:

Bonderman, who would have been eligible for free agency after the 2008 season, gets $4.5 million in 2007, $8.5 million in 2008 and $12.5 million in each of the following two seasons.

Wow. Bargain for the Tigers.

Spring~Fields
12-18-2006, 05:54 PM
Wow. Bargain for the Tigers.

I think so too, they loaded the backend, that should help.

Edd Roush
12-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Krivsky: Here is your guideline. Now git er done.

The_jbh
12-18-2006, 06:21 PM
That takes Bonderman off the market for all you who were hoping Dunn to Detroit was going to net him... I would like to see Harang get a similar deal probably with bigger money is 07 6.5, then 9 then 11 maybe?

MrCinatit
12-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Of course, Arroyo signed a long-term before being traded off.

MartyFan
12-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Anybody think there is a chance now that the Reds nd Tigers do the Dunn for Bonderman deal?

mth123
12-18-2006, 08:48 PM
I think it will be beneficial when it comes to signing Harang. It might even act as a cap for Harang (based on Bonderman being a hotter property, not a better pitcher). I certainly wouldn't complain if the Reds inked Harang to a deal like that.

Except Bonderman is on a good team and probably wouldn't need a premium to get him to stay. Any Reds property that is desirable will probably want that premium.

bucksfan
12-18-2006, 08:56 PM
If I'm a Tigers fan (and admittedly I am somewhat) I am quite pleased with this. It sure looks good compared to Lilly at 40/4.

Edd Roush
12-19-2006, 12:01 AM
If I'm a Tigers fan (and admittedly I am somewhat) I am quite pleased with this. It sure looks good compared to Lilly at 40/4.

But of all the exorbiant contracts being given off, why pick on Lilly's? Wasn't he the one that most 'Zoners targeted at the outset of Free Agency. Lilly's contract seems to be decent compared the Meches and Matthews of the world.

PuffyPig
12-19-2006, 09:42 AM

Hard to compare the 2 contracts, as Bonderman was 2 years from FA. In his 2 FA years, Bonderman got $12.5M per season, vs. Lilly at $10. Bonderman would have gotten more if he continued his pace, but he got financial security now. He'll still cash in big after 4 years when this contract is up.

Johnny Footstool
12-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Hard to compare the 2 contracts, as Bonderman was 2 years from FA. In his 2 FA years, Bonderman got $12.5M per season, vs. Lilly at $10. Bonderman would have gotten more if he continued his pace, but he got financial security now. He'll still cash in big after 4 years when this contract is up.

In 4 years, $10 million for Lilly and $12.5 million for Bonderman will seem like bargains. Not necessarily based on performance, but based on the continued trend towards overpaying for pitching.

Meanwhile, the Reds FO will continue wringing their hands and complaining about how expensive free agents are.

westofyou
12-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Meanwhile, the Reds FO will continue wringing their hands and complaining about how expensive free agents are.

Have they done that yet?

redsmetz
12-19-2006, 11:13 AM

This is exactly what I thought. It's a good barometer, and in today's market, a fair contract. Let's hope we get it done.