PDA

View Full Version : Patience a virtue for Bohorquez, Reds

Gallen5862
12-18-2006, 11:47 PM
I hope he continues to improve. I had never heard of him. Some players are listed as reds but they are not.
Patience a virtue for Bohorquez, Reds
12/15/2006 7:56 PM ET
By Ryan McConnell / Special to MLB.com

The Reds have been patient with Carlos Bohorquez. Lately, it looks like their patience is starting to pay off.
Up until last year, the 25-year-old right-hander had bounced around the Reds Minor League system without distinction, posting ERAs of 4.82 and 4.52 in 2004 and 2005. But something seemed to click for the non-drafted free agent last season, when he posted a 2.80 ERA while holding opposing batters to a .226 batting average for Class A Advanced Sarasota.

Bohorquez has continued to mow down opposing batters while pitching at home in Venezuela this offseason, allowing just three runs in his first 20 innings. He tossed 2 2/3 scoreless frames this week, giving up one hit with three walks and two strikeouts.

Bohorquez and several other Reds prospects are currently playing in Winter Leagues this offseason. Here's how the rest are performing:

Venezuelan Winter League:
2B William Bergolla: Bergolla has cooled off a bit after a torrid start, collecting two hits in his last 27 at-bats to drop his batting average to .320. He has one home run, 13 RBIs and 24 runs scored in 169 at-bats.

SS Javier Colina: Colina has not played since Dec. 2. He's hitting .211 with two home runs and 12 RBIs in 91 at-bats.

IF Anderson Machado: Machado had two hits in 19 at-bats this week, dropping his batting average to .235. The 25-year-old is hitting .235 with two RBIs.

SS Ray Olmedo: Olmedo played in one game this week and went 1-for-4. He's hitting .290 with two home runs and 13 RBIs in 107 at-bats.

LHP Jan Granado: Granado pitched in two games this week, surrendering two runs on four hits and one walk while striking out two in 3 2/3 innings. He's 2-1 with a 5.60 ERA in 35 1/3 innings.

Mexican Pacific League:
2B Matt Kata: Kata has not played since Nov. 30. In 173 at-bats, he is hitting .273 with eight home runs and 24 RBIs.

1B Jesse Gutierrez: Gutierrez went 5-for-21 in six games this week. He's hitting .259 with 10 home runs and 34 RBIs in 197 at-bats.

OF Norris Hopper: Hopper went 3-for-20, dropping batting average to .312. He has two home runs and 18 RBIs in 125 at-bats.

RHP Tom Shearn: Shearn appeared in one game this week, tossing seven innings and surrendering four runs on nine hits while striking out six. He's 6-2 with a 2.43 ERA in 70 1/3 innings.

RHP Jake Robbins: Robbins picked up his first win, recording one out and walking one on Dec. 7. He's given up two runs over 4 1/3 innings and has has three saves.

Dominican Winter League:
OF Chris Denorfia: Denorfia is hitting .258 with 12 RBIs in 93 at-bats. He has struck out 21 times.

SS Jerry Gil: Gil has one hit in his 14 DWL at-bats.

1B Joey Votto: Votto is hitting .275 with one home run and nine RBIs in 51 at-bats.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

oneupper
12-19-2006, 09:37 AM
As I posted elsewhere, Denorfia and Votto left the Dominican Republic in early November.

Edwin Encarnación is hitting .309/.397/./559 in 68 ABs (4 HR, 12 RBI).He is getting regular play at DH, 1B and 3B (he played 3B on Sunday and most of last week).

KoryMac5
12-19-2006, 05:44 PM
I feel that Edwin is primed for a breakout year for the Reds.

bucksfan2
12-20-2006, 11:13 AM
That is if Narron gives him a chance to play every day.

Doc. Scott
12-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Someone ought to point out to Ryan McConnell that several of those players are free agents.

dabvu2498
12-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Someone ought to point out to Ryan McConnell that several of those players are free agents.

And/or have already signed elsewhere.

Doc. Scott
12-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Not sure why McConnell has gotten excited about a 24-year-old putting together a solid season in the FSL (especially in relief).

The vast majority of full-time relievers who are 24 and in High-A end up riding the bus for the remainder of their careers.

I guess you've got to have a tagline.

jmcclain19
12-21-2006, 12:21 AM
Not sure why McConnell has gotten excited about a 24-year-old putting together a solid season in the FSL (especially in relief).

The vast majority of full-time relievers who are 24 and in High-A end up riding the bus for the remainder of their careers.

It's been my experience that most media types don't really know jack about the minor leagues, or the players passing thru it.

Take for example the Dayton Daily News' Reds Prospect list from earlier this year. Just awful and not even close. If it had Wily Jo Ronda on it that would have made it complete. And that was written by a guy who covered the Dragons all year.

Most of the baseball media is sadly inept at making solid minor league analysis. But those who make their living doing nothing but the minors are usually pretty good.

oneupper
12-21-2006, 12:37 AM

So, where does Bohorquez go? Chattanooga?

Superdude
12-21-2006, 05:02 PM

Did you read the title?! "Patience a Virtue" McConnel obviously has a gut feeling that Bohorquez is going to breakout next year. All this patience has to pay off somehow. The guy's gonna be stud! Just a word of advice: don't ever doubt Ryan McConnel.