PDA

View Full Version : Orioles considering Chris Ray for Adam LaRoche?

savafan
12-19-2006, 11:14 AM
The Orioles may use Chris Ray to acquire Adam LaRoche from the Braves, says FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
Rosenthal believes the Orioles would have to include another player, perhaps Hayden Penn, but we think Ray alone should get a deal done. The Braves were pretty close to trading LaRoche for Mike Gonzalez, and Ray is a significantly more valuable property in that he's five years, rather than three years, away from free agency and is the better bet to stay healthy.
Source: FOXSports.com

Joseph
12-19-2006, 11:30 AM
If Laroche is valuable enough to have discussions surrounding Ray AND Penn, then Wayne needs to be on the phone offering Votto around.

edabbs44
12-19-2006, 11:38 AM
If Laroche is valuable enough to have discussions surrounding Ray AND Penn, then Wayne needs to be on the phone offering Votto around.

Good point...especially since the Orioles aren't a LaRoche away from competing this season.

NJReds
12-19-2006, 11:43 AM

LaRoche had a .900+ OPS in the major leagues last year and hit over 30 home runs. Votto hasn't seen AAA pitching yet. I doubt he'd bring a major league closer back in a deal.

savafan
12-19-2006, 11:45 AM
LaRoche had a .900+ OPS in the major leagues last year and hit over 30 home runs. Votto hasn't seen AAA pitching yet. I doubt he'd bring a major league closer back in a deal.

Not alone, but with a few other pieces, perhaps.

fewfirstchoice
12-19-2006, 11:46 AM
As bad as it pains me to say it I believe Mr. K doesnt have a clue what to do.If it makes a lot of sense you can look to Wayne-O to not pull the trigger.

westofyou
12-19-2006, 11:46 AM

Facts are a funny thing.

Z-Fly
12-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Facts are a funny thing.

Very true. Untill I saw those stats, I was in the boat that said why so much for LaRoche.

Edd Roush
12-19-2006, 12:03 PM
As bad as it pains me to say it I believe Mr. K doesnt have a clue what to do.If it makes a lot of sense you can look to Wayne-O to not pull the trigger.

What evidence do you have to support this? Just because Wayne overreached last year with "The Trade?" It's time to give WaynO a little time and just relax and see how the pieces fall. Castellini won't give up on him any time soon, so it doesn't make sense for Reds fans to do so after less than a year on the job.

Falls City Beer
12-19-2006, 12:10 PM
We had Kearns once. And Ray is worth more than Maj and Bray combined.

westofyou
12-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Very true. Untill I saw those stats, I was in the boat that said why so much for LaRoche.

LaRoche might be in the midst of his peak so he could bring back some good returns, but 71 EBH last year might be asking too much every year. The Braves will either see that and sell high or they will milk his career until he gets costly. One thing's for sure he'll move on.

He's not a machine and he's not a stiff, he'll probably be the missing part for several franchises as he ages, ala Reggie Sanders or Kenny Lofton.
Part of his future problem playing wise and how he's payed is going to be determined how he's viewed at medically by the Braves (and the rest of the league) now that he's been outed for having ADD.

He's going to have a good Strat card next year.

KoryMac5
12-19-2006, 12:15 PM

Left handed first baseman always hit the ball well in Camden Yards. Laroche is primed to bust out this year and hitting half of his games at Camden would give him a nice boost.

westofyou
12-19-2006, 12:19 PM
We had Kearns once. And Ray is worth more than Maj and Bray combined.

Really?

Kearns?

The same guy you kicked around? ;)

Currently Kearns is trending in a flatline and LaRoche upwards. The market likes fresh shine.

BTW every time Kearns trade value is mentioned I'm reminded of this thread and some poster who dropped by and never showed up again, it's pretty interesting in retrospect.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=492946&postcount=71

If Kearns is traded this winter, I think everyone on this board is going to have a major hissy fit, because you folks are setting your expectations way too high.

You might be able to do five to ten percent better than Day, but you aren't going to get nearly what you think Kearns is worth.

Well, I wish you guys the best when you aren't playing the Expos, but I think you need a reality check.

Redus
12-19-2006, 12:48 PM
if im the Reds im offering Dunn up for Ray and Markakis

Redus
12-19-2006, 12:49 PM
then again if im the O's im hanging up .......although Dunn would pound them off the warehouse

johngalt
12-19-2006, 04:18 PM
if im the Reds im offering Dunn up for Ray and Markakis

If the Reds deal Adam Dunn in a trade that does NOT involve a bona fide quality starting pitcher or stud starting pitching prospect back our way, I'm going to lose it.

Redus
12-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Ray is a stud closer and Markakis is a nice outfielder and theyre both cheeeeeaaap. I send Dunn for those two in a heartbeat.

fewfirstchoice
12-19-2006, 04:52 PM
I would send Dunn and Bray to the Baltimore for Ray,Markakis,and Lopez.It works on both fronts.It gives Cincy 3 young players with talent,and gives the O's a nice bat and a young setup guy.

Mario-Rijo
12-19-2006, 09:11 PM
But would you do Bray and Votto for say Laroche and perhaps a young arm at the minor league level? I don't know if I would, just asking.

Topcat
12-20-2006, 06:32 AM
Ray is a stud closer and Markakis is a nice outfielder and theyre both cheeeeeaaap. I send Dunn for those two in a heartbeat.

Not to get all cynical on you but are you kidding? A Greek owner trading a budding star greek player for Dunn? No mater if it was rational or made sense it will not happen.