PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know any kids that have ever modeled?

Red Leader
12-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Last night we went out to dinner. Our server told my wife and I that our children were very handsome. No big deal. We thanked her for the compliment and ordered our meal. After we finished our meal, the server came back to our table and said that her aunt was one of the head talent recruiters for a place called Nouveau Image, a top model / talent agency in Dayton. She said that we should contact her aunt and setup an appointment to bring our sons in. Our oldest son is in 2nd grade and will be 8 in January. Our youngest is 3 1/2 and will be starting pre-school next fall. She said that she thought they both would be excellent young models. She gave us the ladies phone #. So naturally, both of our heads got real big for a minute or two at what perfect human specimens we had created. We talked about it last night and we both thought that it might be good for our youngest since he's a little too young to play sports. We both felt bad that our youngest basically gets dragged around to all of our oldest son's practices and that he never gets to do his own thing. We both agreed that any involvement with him should be minimal, though, as he's only 3 1/2. With our oldest, we both thought that he could do well. He's extremely photogenic. The concern with him is adding another extra-curricular activity on top of baseball and football that monopolize all of his time in the spring, part of the summer, and fall. When is he going to have time to do this? Are we going to have time to run him around to all different places? Those questions were pretty much left unanswered for the moment. We both decided that it wouldn't hurt anything to call the lady and schedule and appointment for both of them and find out more about all of this, since neither of us have exposure to anything like this. We have no idea what kids their age should be paid for any work. We have no idea if this field is competitive, and if so, how crazy it is. We felt that this experience would help build confidence in them, and it could be a way for them to earn money for themselves for whatever they'd want down the road (an early start to teaching them about working and earning money, etc), but we have no idea if this would be more headache than the good it could create. I guess we'll just have to call, talk to the lady and try to get answers to some of these questions....

Does anyone have any exposure to this type of thing? Anyone give advice on what we should / shouldn't do when it comes to this stuff? Any help or advice would be apprecaited.

Thanks,
RL

Heath
12-19-2006, 12:18 PM
RL - been there done that - unless you bring lots of money to the table and want to work long hours and sacrifice family time and vacations, its not worth it.

My wife and I were asked to do the same thing with our children- the cream on top looks good, but the red tape, time and money, etc. It doesn't work out, as far as our time constraints are. We are already busy enough, we didn't want to sacrifice more for a pretty face.

And we dealt with the same company you did. They had an office by the Dayton Mall at one point, RL.

But, that's one man's opinion.

Red Leader
12-19-2006, 12:23 PM
RL - been there done that - unless you bring lots of money to the table and want to work long hours and sacrifice family time and vacations, its not worth it.

My wife and I were asked to do the same thing with our children- the cream on top looks good, but the red tape, time and money, etc. It doesn't work out, as far as our time constraints are. We are already busy enough, we didn't want to sacrifice more for a pretty face.

And we dealt with the same company you did. They had an office by the Dayton Mall at one point, RL.

But, that's one man's opinion.

I appreciate the response, Heath. Just out of curiousity, what money did you have to provide?

As far as the time commitment, I was thinking (probably wishfully) that we could bring them in for a photoshoot for like 2-3 hours on a weekend day (Sat/Sun) once a week or once every other week once the initial meet/greet, headshot picture, introduction stuff was over. Probably not, huh?

Heath
12-19-2006, 12:34 PM
I appreciate the response, Heath. Just out of curiousity, what money did you have to provide?

As far as the time commitment, I was thinking (probably wishfully) that we could bring them in for a photoshoot for like 2-3 hours on a weekend day (Sat/Sun) once a week or once every other week once the initial meet/greet, headshot picture, introduction stuff was over. Probably not, huh?

The dollar amount given to me was a tad under 4 digits as a 'startup fee'. That pretty much ended the conversation with me.

However, I found out that basically its a "cattle call" type thing. They get as many kids they can get and they say they try to spread the jobs out. But, you have a 'tryout' and like little league parents, there are casting parents out there as well. Sometimes you get called, sometimes you don't. And, if you do, and your child has a bad day, some of the people behind the scenes get mad and rude, and it's not worth it. We heard that from a friend who had a daughter win a "Cutest Kid" contest.

You are looking at weeks for a shoot. The lady on the appointment asked me how much vacation I had for a working year. I told her, and I was informed that all the vacation time I had would be gone because of the program. Sometimes you get shoots that are in "tourist" areas, but you have to provide all the transportation and lodging and food and very little is provided to you. Sometimes your vacation day is shot because you are sitting around in a room waiting with your child to be interviewed, let alone get any work in.

At 3 1/2 they have another 72 years to be busy, IMO. I know. I have a 4 yr old who tags around his 6 yr old brother to everything under the sun (soccer, baseball, basketball). It's hard - but my boys are close enough in age that they play outside the sports together. Also, I coach, so if I am coaching my youngest, the oldest helps me "coach" and if I am coaching my oldest, I get a shirt the same color (or an extra one if there are any) and let the youngest sit on the bench and practice with them. He seems to enjoy that.

Just my $.02 worth.

Red Leader
12-19-2006, 12:47 PM
I had no idea.

Like I said, I have no exposure to any of this stuff. I've obviously heard horror stories about beauty pageants for young girls and that kind of stuff, but I didn't think that applied here. I was just thinking that the kids would go to this place, have their pictures taken and they'd put them in a database. I figured that if the local Elder Beerman's, Target, etc needed kids to model in their ads, they'd search through the database and if my kids met their criteria, they'd call them for a photoshoot. I thought that photoshoot could be done in 2-3 hours on a weekend day and that would be that.

I dated a girl in high school that used to model for Elder Beerman's in Dayton. I never talked to her much about it (but saved all of the ads she did when I was in H.S.). She seemed to live a pretty normal life and was paid well from what she said for doing ads for them. I didn't think she was gone all of the time modeling. She would always come to my baseball and football games and would be at all of the H.S. parties we went to.

If this involves me dedicating a lot of time, money, etc then I'm not even going to pursue it. I figured it just be something worthwhile to do "on the side." Should have figured that wouldn't be the case....

westofyou
12-19-2006, 01:06 PM
When they invent the 2 hour photo shoot please let me know, I'd like to see that.

vaticanplum
12-19-2006, 01:29 PM
RL, I can give you tons of advice here via relatives; I'll pm you when I have a second...but first off never give anybody money. Ever. Not worth it.

remdog
12-19-2006, 01:39 PM
This is one of the biggest 'Hollywood' scams. The up-front costs are substantial and the odds of getting any work out of it are very, very long. And think about this a moment: the woman that thought your kids had 'potential' is waitress (not that there's anything wrong with that) in a restaurant in Dayton, Ohio. Again, not that there is anything wrong with Dayton per se but, really, what does this woman know about modeling potential? And, I would guess her 'Aunt' is only related by the fee she gets paid to wrangle parents like yourself to spend money for head-shots, representaion, training, wardrobe, etc.

There is a woman here in SoCal that roams shopping malls and fawns over kids as the 'most beautiful' she's ever seen. Why golly, gosh they would make great models. Just call this number here..... Most of the malls toss her out if they see her but she visits during the busiest times of the day and always comes back.

My ex-girlfriend's grandson was in a national print ad when he was one and two years later in two print ads and one TV spot for a surf company. In all cases he was approached either by an agent for the company or by the company itself. He never went through an agency. (His dad was on the World Surf Tour at the time so the surf company knew of him that way.)

Caveat Emptor!

Rem

bucksfan
12-19-2006, 01:55 PM
I know nothing about the modeling part, but what I might suggest for the solution to the issue of your youngest not having anything to do is joining the YMCA or something like that. We have been members since our daughter was born (she's 5 now) and she has been involved in YMCA-sponsored soccer, basketball, T-ball, gymnastics classes, swimming lessons, dance, etc at least since she was 3 (and some of that like gymnastics might have started prior to 3 - I can't recall).

But she has more than enough to keep her busy if she wants to do a given activity. We always give her the choice now that she has been exposed to an array of potential activities. She still says yes to most everything though, so that keeps my wife hopping! And the other nice thing about the Y is that for most if not all of the class-type activities, my wife can go work out while our daughter is in the activity.

max venable
12-19-2006, 05:26 PM
The waitress may very well get a referral fee for sending folks to the agency. You know, once someone pays the fee, she gets the k'ickback.'

Maybe she's was sincere, but maybe she says that to every kid that comes to the restaurant.

Here's some helpful info: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/services/model.htm

creek14
12-19-2006, 06:03 PM
RL, see your PM's. As I stated there, if they want money up front, it isn't a legit agency, but more of a *school*. A real agency will take a commission when you get work.

I modeled back in the day in Chicago and never laid out a penny of my own money. My son has dabbled a little and we haven't had to pay anything.

REDblooded
12-20-2006, 11:19 PM
Creek hit it dead-on. NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER pay money for modeling. If they want you badly enough, they'll pay for the headshots and stuff.