PDA

View Full Version : So, Richie wanted to be a starter...Giants sign Klesko to compete at 1st

savafan
12-20-2006, 01:13 AM
From Rotoworld:

Giants signed first basmean Ryan Klesko, who had been with the Padres, to a one-year contract.
Klesko turned 35 in June, so he now fits the Giants' minimum age requirement. If healthy, he'd be a substantial upgrade over Rich Aurilia at first base against righties. The Giants, though, probably won't go with a platoon right away. They've suffered through way too much of Lance Niekro the last couple of years even though they've had better options against righties.

LoganBuck
12-20-2006, 07:53 AM
I love me some draft picks.

redsmetz
12-20-2006, 08:42 AM
From Rotoworld:

Giants signed first basmean Ryan Klesko, who had been with the Padres, to a one-year contract.
Klesko turned 35 in June, so he now fits the Giants' minimum age requirement. If healthy, he'd be a substantial upgrade over Rich Aurilia at first base against righties. The Giants, though, probably won't go with a platoon right away. They've suffered through way too much of Lance Niekro the last couple of years even though they've had better options against righties.

I'm not familiar with the rest of their infield, but this could allow them to float Rich like Jerry did. He brings a lot to the table with his versatility. He'll get as much playing time as he did here last year, I think.

Heath
12-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Wouldn't it be ironic that Richie gets booted by Ryan Klesko?

Slyder
12-20-2006, 10:29 AM
From Rotoworld:

Third Base???

TOBTTReds
12-20-2006, 10:35 AM
I sure know he isn't going to think of himself as a SS there.

Red Leader
12-20-2006, 10:49 AM
What a lineup:

C: Molina
1B: Aurilia / Klesko
2B: Durham
SS: Vizquel
3B: Feliz
CF: Dave Roberts
RF: Winn
LF: Bonds

What's the average age? 50? I'm thinking the August heat may kill some of them.

Slyder
12-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Feliz left as a FA I thought.

Red Leader
12-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Feliz left as a FA I thought.

Rotoworld.com, Dec. 4th

Giants re-signed third baseman Pedro Feliz to a one-year, $5.1 million contract.

Maybe it's possible we don't give MLB GMs enough credit sometimes. It looked like Feliz would cash in this winter after driving in 98 runs and playing excellent defense. However, there just wasn't any interest outside of San Franicsco. Taking him back for one year isn't a bad idea for the Giants. He is one of the game's most underrated defenders, and his pathetic OBP isn't such a problem if he bats sixth or seventh. $5.1 million is a fair salary in this market

westofyou
12-20-2006, 11:10 AM
I sure know he isn't going to think of himself as a SS there.
He's going to fight it out at 3rd with Feliz and Klesko at 1st, he'll get about 420 ab's unless he tanks. He's not going to top 500.

Puffy
12-20-2006, 11:11 AM
What a lineup:

C: Molina
1B: Aurilia / Klesko
2B: Durham
SS: Vizquel
3B: Feliz
CF: Dave Roberts
RF: Winn
LF: Bonds

What's the average age? 50? I'm thinking the August heat may kill some of them.

Those pills they will be popping on the bench won't be steroids this year. They'll be Geritol.

savafan
12-20-2006, 11:12 AM
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/baseball/mlb/san_francisco_giants/16280665.htm?source=rss&channel=cctimes_san_francisco_giants

In the meantime, the Giants roster continues to take shape. Bochy stumped hard for Klesko, a personal friend and golfing buddy who played in just six games last season because of left shoulder surgery.

"He's fully endorsed by our manager, as a lot of our acquisitions have been, and that's why he's here," Giants general manager Brian Sabean said.

Klesko will see time in left field and at first base, where he could work himself into a platoon with Rich Aurilia and make Sweeney expendable. (Klesko's deal would see him make up to $2 million more in performance bonuses based on plate appearances.) Bochy said he still considers Aurilia the primary first baseman, but "it's always going to stay competitive."

* C -- Benjie Molina, 31
* 1B -- Rich Aurilia, 35
* 1B -- Ryan Klesko, 36
* 2B -- Ray Durham, 35
* 3B -- Pedro Feliz, 31
* SS -- Omar Vizquel, 40
* LF -- Barry Bonds, 42
* CF -- Dave Roberts, 35
* RF -- Randy Winn, 33

westofyou
12-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Those pills they will be popping on the bench won't be steroids this year. They'll be Geritol.

And now that Richies in town, Amyl nitrate

Red Leader
12-20-2006, 11:14 AM
*Sssscrappyyyy*

Strikes Out Looking
12-20-2006, 11:22 AM
I believe the Giants have petioned the league to start all their games at noon because 1. they don't want to miss the early bird dinners and 2. they don't like to drive at night.

TStuck
12-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Just think of all the money the Giants will save this year by getting Senior Citizens and AARP discounts on everything for their players!!

RichRed
12-20-2006, 12:40 PM
* C -- Benjie Molina, 31
* 1B -- Rich Aurilia, 35
* 1B -- Ryan Klesko, 36
* 2B -- Ray Durham, 35
* 3B -- Pedro Feliz, 31
* SS -- Omar Vizquel, 40
* LF -- Barry Bonds, 42
* CF -- Dave Roberts, 35
* RF -- Randy Winn, 33

For you SABR guys out there, what's the Giants' Average Age over Replacement Player (AARP)?

Puffy
12-20-2006, 01:50 PM
The Giants will absolutely lead the league in returning soup.

Red Leader
12-20-2006, 01:53 PM
The Giants will absolutely lead the league in returning soup.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Doc. Scott
12-20-2006, 01:56 PM
For you SABR guys out there, what's the Giants' Average Age over Replacement Player (AARP)?

Not sure why baseball's club of historians would be particularly fit to compute that stat.

RichRed
12-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Not sure why baseball's club of historians would be particularly fit to compute that stat.

Just my attempt at a little humor. Evidently, very little. I'll try harder.

Doc. Scott
12-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Just my attempt at a little humor. Evidently, very little. I'll try harder.

No, no, I get it- it was my deadpan response due to a little pet peeve I have about the use of the Society for American Baseball Research acronym over the term "sabermetrics" (meaning all the new-age stats).

Actually the AARP computation was quite witty.

Team Clark
12-20-2006, 04:20 PM
I personally think that Feliz will spend time in LF. Bonds would be lucky to start 100 games. Klesko at 1b, Rich at 3b and Feliz in LF the days Bonds is out. Just my thoughts.

Jpup
12-21-2006, 06:49 AM
does Klesko actually make it to opening day? He might be finished.

Heath
12-21-2006, 07:31 AM

Nice. Good one.

westofyou
12-21-2006, 10:47 AM
http://www.baseballmusings.com/

Golfing Buddy

In the meantime, the Giants roster continues to take shape. Bochy stumped hard for Klesko, a personal friend and golfing buddy who played in just six games last season because of left shoulder surgery.

"He's fully endorsed by our manager, as a lot of our acquisitions have been, and that's why he's here," Giants general manager Brian Sabean said.

Klesko will see time in left field and at first base, where he could work himself into a platoon with Rich Aurilia and make Sweeney expendable. (Klesko's deal would see him make up to $2 million more in performance bonuses based on plate appearances.) Bochy said he still considers Aurilia the primary first baseman, but "it's always going to stay competitive."

Maybe if the Giants can't work out the language in Bonds' contract, Ryan can play left full time! Right now, the Giants staters look like this (2007 seasonal ages):

* C -- Benjie Molina, 31
* 1B -- Rich Aurilia, 35
* 1B -- Ryan Klesko, 36
* 2B -- Ray Durham, 35
* 3B -- Pedro Feliz, 31
* SS -- Omar Vizquel, 40
* LF -- Barry Bonds, 42
* CF -- Dave Roberts, 35
* RF -- Randy Winn, 33

Counting the 1B platoon as 35.5, that makes the average age of the starting lineup 35.3 years

reds44
12-23-2006, 01:18 AM
Have I ever mentioned I don't like Rich?

TOBTTReds
12-23-2006, 01:30 AM
Have I ever mentioned I don't like Rich?

No, why? :D

WVRed
12-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Where old players go to die.

Sound like a good motto for SF?

paintmered
12-23-2006, 12:43 PM
From Rotoworld:

Klesko turned 35 in June, so he now fits the Giants' minimum age requirement.

Zing!

Chip R
12-23-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm not familiar with the rest of their infield, but this could allow them to float Rich like Jerry did. He brings a lot to the table with his versatility. He'll get as much playing time as he did here last year, I think.

True, but he was unhappy with being moved around so much. He wanted to play one position on a regular basis.

Highlifeman21
12-23-2006, 04:10 PM
http://www.baseballmusings.com/

Golfing Buddy

Maybe if the Giants can't work out the language in Bonds' contract, Ryan can play left full time! Right now, the Giants staters look like this (2007 seasonal ages):

* C -- Benjie Molina, 31
* 1B -- Rich Aurilia, 35
* 1B -- Ryan Klesko, 36
* 2B -- Ray Durham, 35
* 3B -- Pedro Feliz, 31
* SS -- Omar Vizquel, 40
* LF -- Barry Bonds, 42
* CF -- Dave Roberts, 35
* RF -- Randy Winn, 33

Counting the 1B platoon as 35.5, that makes the average age of the starting lineup 35.3 years

Molina and Feliz seem like young pups compared to the rest of this geriatric crew.

DP combo aggregate age of 75? Sign me up.

Dracodave
12-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Molina and Feliz seem like young pups compared to the rest of this geriatric crew.

DP combo aggregate age of 75? Sign me up.

How about our first base aggregate age of 77? :laugh:

Our 'set-up/closer' aggregate age of 78? :laugh:

Our teams average age is around: 29.3

How in the world is that possible???

My god..:bang:

Highlifeman21
12-23-2006, 05:56 PM
How about our first base aggregate age of 77? :laugh:

Our 'set-up/closer' aggregate age of 78? :laugh:

Our teams average age is around: 29.3

How in the world is that possible???

My god..:bang:

1B is a much less athletic position than 2B or SS.

That being said, I have this dirty lingering feeling all of us will see much more of Jeff Conine in the OF than we can stomach.

Who is our "set-up/closer"? Bray and Coffey are probably the best options we have for that tandem. If anyone but these two are considered the main options for "set-up/closer", then it will just reaffirm every notion I have that Jerry Narron is ridiculously underqualified to manage our squad.

Dracodave
12-23-2006, 07:04 PM
Who is our "set-up/closer"? Bray and Coffey are probably the best options we have for that tandem. If anyone but these two are considered the main options for "set-up/closer", then it will just reaffirm every notion I have that Jerry Narron is ridiculously underqualified to manage our squad.

I figured the Stanton Weathers duo will manage to appear in more games than we'd all like to see.

And yes, I figured Narron would do that.