PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see Troy Smith's Jacket during the Buckeye ISU halftime

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
12-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Sweet Cleveland Browns Jacket. I know he's a Browns fan, and grew up in Cleveland, but this seems a little off to me. Ok, he is going to get drafted, by who we have no idea, though I would love to see him with the Browns maybe by trading up from our second round pick( notice how I said "we", yea as a fan I have actually staked claim as a part of the team) and taking him late in the first. My question is does he know something we dont, has he talked to the Browns and if he hasnt isn't it a bit risky to show favortism to one team when you could easily be drafted by another. Even worse a team you have grown to hate as a Browns fan like the Steelers or the Ravens, i mean Mcnair's not getting any younger and I kinda see a little Mcnair in Troy. Just a thought and if anyone knows how to get my hands on that jacket, id sure love a link.

bucksfan
12-20-2006, 03:24 PM
My rose-colored-glasses view is that it's just a cool jacket of his favorite team. I don't know that, but I had my favorite teams as a college kid. I'm guesing he does too.

Heath
12-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Dude's heading to Oakland - IMO.

Red Leader
12-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Dude's heading to Oakland - IMO.

Well that would make it sooo much easier to continue to hate him for me.

Oakland, Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. Any of those are fine by me.

Reds Fanatic
12-20-2006, 04:30 PM
I expect Brady Quinn to go to Oakland. Last I heard the experts were projecting Smith as about a 3rd round draft pick.

Red Heeler
12-20-2006, 06:14 PM
I think the best situation for both the drafting team and TS would be if Philly got him. McNabb's got a couple good years left in him to mentor Smith, and they are similar style QB's coming out of college.

Dom Heffner
12-20-2006, 06:59 PM
I don't know that, but I had my favorite teams as a college kid.

In my household, I pretty much got whatever was on sale, so I had lots of Houston Astros jackets and Toronto Blue Jays stuff from JC Penney's clearance rack growing up.

Probably not the case here, but it's fun to pretend these athletes don't have any money.

Caveat Emperor
12-20-2006, 08:21 PM
I expect Brady Quinn to go to Oakland. Last I heard the experts were projecting Smith as about a 3rd round draft pick.

Al Davis doesn't draft quarterbacks. Maybe he's still (after all these years) stinging over wasting a 1st round pick on Todd Marinovich, who knows -- but since 1991 the franchise has taken exactly 3 QBs in the draft: Andrew Walter in '05, Marques Tuiasosopa in '02, and Billy Joe Hobert in '92.

The Raiders have had 4 top ten picks in the last 15 years -- none of which were spent on QBs.

I'd be shocked if Brady Quinn goes to Oakland.

LoganBuck
12-20-2006, 08:57 PM

Smith's draft stock has soared and is now projected anywhere from top 10 through the third round depending on combine workouts and measurements. Most pundits are placing him as mid to late first round. Mel Kiper says that this season has really impressed the NFL.

beb30
12-21-2006, 02:50 PM
There can't be anyway there is a cool cleveland browns jacket, not only are their colors bad, but so is there logo...wait do they have one?

Heath
12-21-2006, 03:47 PM
There can't be anyway there is a cool cleveland browns jacket, not only are their colors bad, but so is there logo...wait do they have one?

http://www.theozone.net/photos/14361.jpg

Courtesy of O-zone.net.....and yes this is a COOL Brownie Jacket....

LoganBuck
12-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Wow where did he get the coin for the bling?

Red Leader
12-21-2006, 03:53 PM
What the hell is that thing? A Lechrechaun? A troll? An elf?

Heath
12-21-2006, 04:00 PM
What the hell is that thing? A Lechrechaun? A troll? An elf?

It's an elf, commonly known as a "Brownie" Elf. That's one of the meaner looking elves that Browns have. Most of them look like my avatar.

RANDY IN INDY
12-21-2006, 04:05 PM
For all you Browns fans, there is an interesting article about "Brownie the Elf" at the Uni-Watch site today.

max venable
12-21-2006, 04:09 PM
The DDN thinks the Brownies should pass on Troy.http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/browns/2006/12/20/ddn122106audible.html

Johnny Footstool
12-21-2006, 04:16 PM
It's an elf, commonly known as a "Brownie" Elf. That's one of the meaner looking elves that Browns have. Most of them look like my avatar.

The phrase "mean-looking elf" makes me laugh.

max venable
12-21-2006, 04:18 PM
http://www.gcbb.brownstng.com/images/brownie-elf.gifhttp://www.webquest.org/questgarden/lessons/04103-051008144204/images/keebler_2.jpg

Caveat Emperor
12-21-2006, 06:14 PM

And, more importantly, why are all these calls on his phone going to Israel?

Highlifeman21
12-21-2006, 07:43 PM

I wonder which booster bought that bobble for him.

LoganBuck
12-21-2006, 11:08 PM
I wonder which booster bought that bobble for him.

Easy Easy

It does raise questions, though doesn't it?

lo ryder
12-22-2006, 12:02 AM
I think I read it was Glenville colors, but as usual I may be wrong.

Heath
12-22-2006, 09:51 AM
I think I read it was Glenville colors, but as usual I may be wrong.

Glenville's team colors are Red and Black. They use the G logo that you see that the Green Bay Packers & Georgia Bulldogs use.

traderumor
12-22-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm pretty certain that if that big old cross necklace was not legitimate, he would not be wearing it in front of 16,000 people at the Schott. Gimme a break, folks.

Clergy, politicians, and college athletes are not allowed to have something that either is or looks expensive or someone is asking questions or making snide remarks.

dsmith421
12-22-2006, 01:26 PM

I suspect that a guy like Smith, with a Heisman in his pocket and projected to go in the first round, would have a pretty easy time getting a bank loan that would permit him to live a little higher on the hog now and pay it back after the ink is dry on the contract. Heck, that's what I would do if I was him.

traderumor
12-22-2006, 03:17 PM
I suspect that a guy like Smith, with a Heisman in his pocket and projected to go in the first round, would have a pretty easy time getting a bank loan that would permit him to live a little higher on the hog now and pay it back after the ink is dry on the contract. Heck, that's what I would do if I was him.I think that is a violation of NCAA rules. I think it could even be a violation if the "loan" is given to the parent (see Reggie Bush accusations). It could be a legitimate gift or legitimate purchase from a legitimate friend or family member. It could also be not all that expensive piece of jewelry, but only looks expensive and gaudy. Quite a concept, I know.

dsmith421
12-22-2006, 04:34 PM
I think that is a violation of NCAA rules. I think it could even be a violation if the "loan" is given to the parent (see Reggie Bush accusations).

I thought the problem in the Bush situation was that the parents were being given a gift (i.e., free rent) by a booster. I was thinking more on the lines of a normal bank loan.

Regardless, you're probably right that it's illegal, the NCAA has a rule for everything.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Well that would make it sooo much easier to continue to hate him for me.]

May I ask why it is that you hate him?

traderumor
12-23-2006, 12:44 PM
I thought the problem in the Bush situation was that the parents were being given a gift (i.e., free rent) by a booster. I was thinking more on the lines of a normal bank loan.

Regardless, you're probably right that it's illegal, the NCAA has a rule for everything.I believe it was rent, and maybe a vehicle, but the principle is that the parents poison the well, too, since it would obviously be too easy to launder gifts to athletes through the parents if there were no such rules.

George Foster
12-23-2006, 03:30 PM
I think that is a violation of NCAA rules. I think it could even be a violation if the "loan" is given to the parent (see Reggie Bush accusations). It could be a legitimate gift or legitimate purchase from a legitimate friend or family member. It could also be not all that expensive piece of jewelry, but only looks expensive and gaudy. Quite a concept, I know.

If the loan is in his name it is not against any rules. It's not the NCAA's business. If the bank gave him credit, they game him credit, just like a credit card company gives credit. The NCAA has no authority over who banks give credit too or the terms of the payments. The bank has it's own set of rules it has to follow. The bank is well within it's right to give credit on future earnings, (ie giving a loan to a doctor, right out of school). The NCAA can do nothing about it. good for Troy!

traderumor
12-23-2006, 10:25 PM
If the loan is in his name it is not against any rules. It's not the NCAA's business. If the bank gave him credit, they game him credit, just like a credit card company gives credit. The NCAA has no authority over who banks give credit too or the terms of the payments. The bank has it's own set of rules it has to follow. The bank is well within it's right to give credit on future earnings, (ie giving a loan to a doctor, right out of school). The NCAA can do nothing about it. good for Troy!I'm no expert on NCAA rules, just using the logic of their rules, but any money an athlete receives is going to be scrutinized. Again, I don't think it is quite that easy since there would obviously be nothing to stop boosters from using bank loans with no interest charges to pay athletes, whether its future earnings or not.

However, I did find this in a quick search:
http://www.sportslawnews.com/archive/Articles%202001/NCAAloans.htm

Indianapolis, Indiana, May 3, 2001 -- The NCAA board of directors recently voted to allow student athletes to receive money for giving private lessons and also to take out a one time $20,000 bank loan based on future earnings.

The proposals that were approved included one which would allow the NCAA to pay disability insurance premiums, and another which would permit student athletes to keep any money they receive for Olympic performances. In fact, according to an article in USA today, "winning a gold medal in a sport such as swimming could mean as much as $65,000" for the athlete.

According to a report in the Associated Press, to qualify for the loan, a student would have to be considered a likely first round pick in men's basketball, women's basketball or baseball, and at least a third round pick in football or hockey.

Significantly, the council also approved a measure that would remove the exempt status of certain basketball tournaments other than the NCAA tournament, such as the Preseason NIT, and the Maui Invitational. [click here] This means that all games played in these tournaments would count towards the 28 game limit. This is sure to be devastating for some of these tournaments, in that teams will back out because playing in them will count as too many games against their schedules.

George Foster
12-23-2006, 11:54 PM
I'm no expert on NCAA rules, just using the logic of their rules, but any money an athlete receives is going to be scrutinized. Again, I don't think it is quite that easy since there would obviously be nothing to stop boosters from using bank loans with no interest charges to pay athletes, whether its future earnings or not.

However, I did find this in a quick search:
http://www.sportslawnews.com/archive/Articles%202001/NCAAloans.htm

A bank has certain rules it has to follow. It can't give "no interest loans." that constitutes bank fraud and could bring federal charges. Anybody can get a 5K line of credit on a credit card. These cards are backed by banks, like Chase and MBNA. If Smith has 4 credit cards and that 20K loan from a bank, that is a 40K line of credit. That can buy a lot of "bling, bling." :thumbup: