PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get internet access on a laptop?

Buckeye33
12-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Ok, here is my situation. I am going to be getting a laptop to use soon. My wifes boss is buying her a laptop (hmmm...). I work 3rd shift at a State job and things can get very boring and are very rarely busy. This is why I will be using the laptop at work, simply for entertainment purposes. So I am wondering what the best route will be to try to get internet access while I'm at work.

The job I have does not have internet access, just intranet. So I will have to try to get some type of Wi-Fi or broadband access. I have no idea how to go about this currently.

The job is located on the west side of Columbus. Not sure if that really has any bearing or not, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Is my best option going to have to be Verizon broadband? That is who my cellphone carrier is so I could get that added for like $50/month. No clue how good it works in Columbus though.

Will I possibly be able to link into someones network when I want to use the internet? There are tons of homes across the street from our building.

Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated.

RBA
12-20-2006, 06:43 PM
link to Columbus wi-fi HOT SPOTS

http://www.superpages.com/cities/mtg/wifi/oh/columbus/1/

Best thing to do is wait until you get the laptop to your desk and see what wi-fi signals you pick up.

By the way, piggy back other people's network is frown upon.

REDblooded
12-20-2006, 11:58 PM
sprint is better than verizon, but it's not a huge difference. my laptop for work uses an aircard, and it's pretty handy.