PDA

View Full Version : The off-season baseball fan and the American spirit

PickOff
12-20-2006, 11:45 PM
These are some of my thoughts on off-season baseball fans. I look forward to hearing some more.

The Off-Season Baseball Fan and the American Spirit

The off-season baseball fan is not your average sports junkie. In fact he may not be much of a sports fan at all, except for when it comes to the American Pastime. Why is this so? Well, at the risk of sounding sentimental, the answer is in the heart. Those that went to the ballpark often enough for the magic of a baseball game to enter into their being are the fans of which I speak. The fans that must stay attached to their favorite team all through the off-season, because they just can’t bear to put baseball too far from their hearts and minds.

One thing that sets baseball apart is the frequency of the opportunities to go to the ballpark; another is the affordability. Once there, the field too is simple and beautiful, with plenty of green and the expansive sky above. But it is the fellow fans that make the game so special. This is why it is the American Pastime. You root together, you sing together, you eat and drink and cheer. You happily rub shoulders with strangers and understand that we can get along and enjoy life together despite our differences. It is this togetherness that brings us back again and again and keeps us warm through the cold winter days and nights. It seeps into your heart, this game does.

On boards such as Redszone, some observers find the posts and discussion too positive or perhaps lacking the perspective of a ‘realist.’ That stands to reason, because the off-season baseball fans that make up these boards are, in fact, optimists at heart. They are the true believers in the American experiment; that people can come together, put aside their differences, and give one another the freedom to sing, eat, drink, and cheer.

So until someone takes me out to the ballpark come spring, there is no better company to keep than the keepers of the American spirit: the off-season baseball fan.

wheels
12-21-2006, 12:24 AM
I like that font you used.

Looks like something from an old article, and it's worded that way too.

Nice.

RANDY IN INDY
12-21-2006, 10:24 AM
I like that font, as well. Maybe Redszone should adopt it. Nice post, Pickoff.:beerme:

westofyou
12-21-2006, 11:18 AM
I like that font, as well. Maybe Redszone should adopt it. Nice post, Pickoff.:beerme:

Nice post, Note to RZ stay away from serif font please on the web, blurs the view.

Looks good in print though

It's called Book Antiqua

zombie-a-go-go
12-21-2006, 01:23 PM
Nice post, Note to RZ stay away from serif font please on the web, blurs the view.

Looks good in print though

It's called Book Antiqua

I think it's Garamond, actually.

westofyou
12-21-2006, 01:33 PM
I think it's Garamond, actually.

You're right BA is the second letter... serif web rule still applies though.

vaticanplum
12-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Garamond is one of the finest fonts. Very feminine, well-aligned, and well-proportioned (ie. a much better ratio between upper and lowercase than, say, Times New Roman).

It's very distinguished. It's kind of the Carlton Fisk of fonts.

PickOff
12-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Garamond is one of the finest fonts. Very feminine, well-aligned, and well-proportioned (ie. a much better ratio between upper and lowercase than, say, Times New Roman).

It's very distinguished. It's kind of the Carlton Fisk of fonts.

I did use the Garamond font, and while I'm not a Carlton Fisk fan, it is my favorite. I changed this back to Arial, however, to make it sans serif, and not blurry.

:beerme: