PDA

View Full Version : Dave Miley Returns as Yanks' AAA Manager

redsmetz
12-21-2006, 09:06 AM
The Wilkes-Barre Times Leader had this article day before yesterday. Miley's a curious guy, probably best suited for working with kids coming up then running the big league club.

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees name skipper

The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees have named Dave Miley manager for the upcoming season, according to a press release on the team’s website.

Joining Miley on the staff will be Butch Wynegar (hitting coach), Dave Eiland (pitching coach) and Alvara Espinoza (infield coach).

“We are absolutely delighted that the New York Yankees have given us a field staff that is full of big league experience,” said Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees Executive Vice President/COO Jeremy Ruby, according to the release. “This is the largest and most experienced staff our franchise has ever had and is sure to be a tremendous asset when the team takes the field in 2007. What a great way to start our new relationship with the New York Yankees.”

Miley, 44, will be entering his 2nd season guiding the Yankees’ Triple-A team after spending 26 seasons in the Cincinnati Reds’ organization. In 2006 he led the Columbus Clippers to a 69-73 record.

On July 28, 2003 he was named the interim manager of the Cincinnati Reds, replacing Bob Boone. On December 4, 2003 the interim tag was dropped after signing a two-year contract. Baseball America named him the National League Manager of the Year of the first half of the 2004 season. In three years with the Reds, he compiled a 125-164 record. He also served one season - 1993, as the Reds bench coach.

Z-Fly
12-21-2006, 12:57 PM
All I have to say is that, the guy was delt a bad hand. I am glad to see he was given somewhat of anouther chance somewhere else.

camisadelgolf
12-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Joining Miley on the staff will be Butch Wynegar (hitting coach), Dave Eiland (pitching coach) and Alvara Espinoza (infield coach).

One of my favorite baseball stats is that Alvaro Espinoza is one of two players in baseball history to finish a season with 150+ games and 20 RBIs or less. The other guy, Richie Ashburn, is a Hall of Famer.

RollyInRaleigh
12-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Joe Torre need not worry about the AAA manager taking his job.

gonelong
12-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Good for Miley, he's back where he belongs. I am glad someone gave him the opportunity.

Gl

Degenerate39
12-23-2006, 07:34 PM
The Yankees have a minor league team?

KronoRed
12-23-2006, 08:02 PM
The Yankees have a minor league team?
Yes, the rest of MLB outside of Boston ;)

OnBaseMachine
12-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Yes, the rest of MLB outside of Boston ;)

Good to you see you back, buddy!:)

pedro
12-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Good for Dave.

Seems like a nice enough guy but was IMO one of the worst managers I have ever seen, on and off the field.