PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy ticks me off

Red in Chicago
12-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Ok, so this morning I was looking online to find a Christmas present for a friend of mine. I first tried Circuit City, but they didn't have what I was looking for. I then went to Best Buy's website and they had a few options that looked appealing. As much as I dreaded do this, I went ahead and went to the local Best Buy for an up-close looksy.

Shortly after walking in, the item I was considering was sitting right there in the midway. It seemed to be the perfect gift. And much to my surprise, there was a big sign that said if you bought this item, you would also get a free $25 Ipod gift certificate. Wow, I thought...I didn't expect that. Could this actually be my very first positive shopping experience at Best Buy?

I quickly picked up the box and headed for the checkout. The line was long, but I expected that. It was moving quickly. Still no complaints. I finally get up to the checkout and the girl scans the item and rattled off the total. I said there is a sign on top of all these items that says I should get a free $25Ipod gift certificate. She says "well the computer's not prompting me for that". I said, "the sign is right over there" and pointed to it. We then had to walk over to the area so she could verify I was telling the truth. I don't really have a problem with her questionning me, but exactly how many people did Best Buy screw out of the free $25 Ipod gift card?

Having been a manager of a large retailer many years ago, I understand things like this can happen. However, the fact is that Best Buy is ALWAYS doing something like this to pi$$ me off. They turned a 2 minute transaction into a 10 minute one. I actually felt bad for making her walk over there and in fact apologized to her for it. She didn't even have the decency to say it wasn't my fault that their computers were wrong. She simply said, "it's the holidays". What does that mean? Well Merry friggin' Christmas Best Buy, I can assure you, you won't be seeing me in the New Year. :angry:

beb30
12-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Whoa there calm down....You got your gift certificate, there are lots of possibilities to why this didn't occur - being the computers weren't updated yet/new employee/etc. Besides I doubt they screwed to many people over or else she would of heard of it by the time you got up there. Calm down cheer up :)

bengalsown
12-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Best Buy sucks. I refused to give them anymore money about 5 years ago, and haven't spent a dime there since.

Dom Heffner
12-21-2006, 03:11 PM
And worst of all: they didn't wipe down the box with a Lysol cleansing cloth. :)

Jpup
12-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Best Buy sucks. I refused to give them anymore money about 5 years ago, and haven't spent a dime there since.

I used to believe all this about how Best Buy and Wal-Mart really stinks. I've heard it for years, but I can't say anything bad about either one. There is a reason that they are totally crowded every time you go in there. There are more people that like them than don't. Best Buy is a little overpriced compared to others, but it's like buying a car, you don't have to pay the sticker price.

Johnny Footstool
12-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Did you hear about the guy in Maryland (?) who bought something at Best Buy and paid in $2 bills, but the employees refused to take them and called the police, who thought the bills were counterfeit and arrested the man?

paintmered
12-21-2006, 03:30 PM
http://www.improveverywhere.com/mission_view.php?mission_id=57

bengalsown
12-21-2006, 03:30 PM
I used to believe all this about how Best Buy and Wal-Mart really stinks. I've heard it for years, but I can't say anything bad about either one. There is a reason that they are totally crowded every time you go in there. There are more people that like them than don't. Best Buy is a little overpriced compared to others, but it's like buying a car, you don't have to pay the sticker price.

I don't have a problem with Wal Mart, but I just don't like the lack of knowledge in their sales force. And I think they screwed me once on a warranty issue. I have spent thousands at HH Gregg, which is right down the road here at the Dayton Mall. They usually treat me pretty well when i comes to warranty issues.

beb30
12-21-2006, 03:45 PM
I don't have a problem with Wal Mart, but I just don't like the lack of knowledge in their sales force. And I think they screwed me once on a warranty issue. I have spent thousands at HH Gregg, which is right down the road here at the Dayton Mall. They usually treat me pretty well when i comes to warranty issues.

Thats b/c everyone is out to screw you.....:laugh:

Ltlabner
12-21-2006, 04:02 PM

Now that is some commitment to one's craft pulling off a prank like that. What a hoot. I would have loved to see the mid-level managers going bonkers and running around with their walkie talkies.

MrCinatit
12-21-2006, 06:39 PM

The same group went through a store of the company I work for, going through the aisles in slow motion - it was hilarious, and I would have loved to see the reaction of our associates had it happened in our store. Those moving in slow motion probably would have moved faster than our associates, actually.
A couple of years ago, a friend of mine went to a Best Buy for a computer monitor. He finally settled on one - the front of the box advertised in bright yellow letters "chord included."
The guy in the computer monitor area asked him if he needed a chord with that.
While we were going to the registers, a second guy said "don't forget to buy a chord!"
At the cashregister, he was asked "Will you be needing a power chord with that?"
Apparantly, reading the boxes of the merchandize is not a qualification.

TeamCasey
12-21-2006, 09:26 PM
I was in a couple stores this season that seemed to be unprepared for Christmas. I was even there at off-hours.

Razor Shines
12-22-2006, 01:28 AM
Did you hear about the guy in Maryland (?) who bought something at Best Buy and paid in $2 bills, but the employees refused to take them and called the police, who thought the bills were counterfeit and arrested the man?

I am having trouble believing the police would actually arrest him before making sure the bills were counterfeit. I would believe a security guard handcuffed him until the police got there, but I doubt the police actually took him in............Having said that I just read the story. Seems stupid. But if the ink was smearing, the pen that they use to check them showed up wrong and they were in sequiential order I'd think it was odd also.

During this holiday rush my brother had a job where he would go to Best Buy, Circuit City and a couple other retailers and sit and watch the Virgin Mobile phones. I guess the company found out that terrorists were buying large quantities of them and either shipping them over seas or using them here because they're harder to trace. So from 9am to 1pm he would just watch and if someone was purchasing 6 or more he was supposed to go up and ask them who they were for and what they were being used for and alert the management. And I guess no matter what they wouldn't sell them to that person. He said so far it has only happened once. I guy was buying 11 of them, so he approached him and introduced himself and the guy just left the cart and casually walked out of the store.

12-22-2006, 01:33 AM

That waas honestly one of the funniest things I have ever read.

George Foster
12-23-2006, 12:26 AM
I am having trouble believing the police would actually arrest him before making sure the bills were counterfeit. I would believe a security guard handcuffed him until the police got there, but I doubt the police actually took him in............Having said that I just read the story. Seems stupid. But if the ink was smearing, the pen that they use to check them showed up wrong and they were in sequiential order I'd think it was odd also.

During this holiday rush my brother had a job where he would go to Best Buy, Circuit City and a couple other retailers and sit and watch the Virgin Mobile phones. I guess the company found out that terrorists were buying large quantities of them and either shipping them over seas or using them here because they're harder to trace. So from 9am to 1pm he would just watch and if someone was purchasing 6 or more he was supposed to go up and ask them who they were for and what they were being used for and alert the management. And I guess no matter what they wouldn't sell them to that person. He said so far it has only happened once. I guy was buying 11 of them, so he approached him and introduced himself and the guy just left the cart and casually walked out of the store.

This is a perfect example of what is wrong with Homeland Security. A guy can just walk out of the store after trying to by 11 cell phones, and they make 80 year old women take off their shoes in the airports

deltachi8
12-23-2006, 12:30 AM
Thats b/c everyone is out to screw you.....:laugh:

SERENITY NOW!

Razor Shines
12-23-2006, 08:30 AM
This is a perfect example of what is wrong with Homeland Security. A guy can just walk out of the store after trying to by 11 cell phones, and they make 80 year old women take off their shoes in the airports

The thing is: Why is my brother, a college kid making 15 bucks an hour, in charge of watching this? Shouldn't it be someone slightly more official?

RANDY IN INDY
12-23-2006, 09:20 AM
I bought a Garmin navigation system for my wife, who travels a lot, from Best Buy. I had done my own research, but out of curiosity, I asked the clerks to tell me about them at 3 different stores. They all told me different things about the system, and most of what they were telling me was not accurate. Not your most informed employees.

Redsland
12-23-2006, 11:37 AM
I've always wondered why the store is called "Best Buy," when a more appropriate name would be "Full Retail."

paintmered
12-23-2006, 11:59 AM
I've always wondered why the store is called "Best Buy," when a more appropriate name would be "Full Retail."

For me, Best Buy has been replaced with Newegg.com.

Better selection, lower prices and no idiot salespeople trying to ram warranties and magazine subscriptions down your throat.

Ltlabner
12-23-2006, 12:12 PM
The Best Buy near the east side of Cincinnati is dreadfull. You can't move 4 feet without being accosted. When you finally do need some assitance they don't have any clue about the products.

Our Office Depot is pretty good but I got accosted when trying to purchase a computer bundle for my parents. First he gave me the 3rd degree over power strips, cat5 cables, etc (because I'm so dumb I didn't know I needed those...). Then the guy tried to upsell me on the dang computer (more memory, bigger hard drive, better graphics card). Because I am so stupid that I would just blindly take his reccomendations because he's a computer expert (well, he does wear a nice blue shirt and have an ear bud phone on his hip).

Usually that store is good, but this guy is a twerp.

Joseph
12-23-2006, 12:25 PM
I'll reiterate what I told my wife about 7 years ago when she was a manager at Kirkland's in our local mall. She'd come home complaining about the kids that worked for her not caring, or not listening when new items would come in and they'd have a meeting to discuss them or whatever; or similarly when they would show up late, ask to leave early, or call in sick. [Needless to say she moved on to a government job and out of the service industry]

The employees are making 6 or 7 bucks an hour, they are in college, they don't care about the job, the store, or the customers; if customers or management expect anything different, they are just deluding themselves. Do you not recall what it was like when you were 19 and working at the local Wal-Mart/A&P/Kroger/Circuit City/Domino's/Other minimum wage college job? Most of us didn't care either if the lady got her five percent off that microwave. It's not Best Buy's fault, or the kid at the check out, its just the way the world is these days.

paintmered
12-23-2006, 12:30 PM
I'll reiterate what I told my wife about 7 years ago when she was a manager at Kirkland's in our local mall. She'd come home complaining about the kids that worked for her not caring, or not listening when new items would come in and they'd have a meeting to discuss them or whatever; or similarly when they would show up late, ask to leave early, or call in sick. [Needless to say she moved on to a government job and out of the service industry]

The employees are making 6 or 7 bucks an hour, they are in college, they don't care about the job, the store, or the customers; if customers or management expect anything different, they are just deluding themselves. Do you not recall what it was like when you were 19 and working at the local Wal-Mart/A&P/Kroger/Circuit City/Domino's/Other minimum wage college job? Most of us didn't care either if the lady got her five percent off that microwave. It's not Best Buy's fault, or the kid at the check out, its just the way the world is these days.

It's not this that bothers me. To me, I'd much rather hear "You know, I don't know the answer to that, but let me try and find someone who does." than something that's incorrect out of ignorance. One is helpful, the other one is throwing bullcrap against the wall.

Please stop treating customers like they are idiots and I'll stop treating salespeople like they are annoying me.

RANDY IN INDY
12-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Wasn't that way when I was in school and working. I wasn't brought up that way.

Razor Shines
12-23-2006, 01:33 PM

It is the fault of the kid at the check out, he's paid to do a job, and it's the company's fault for letting him get away with it. At a Best Buy they know better, I've sat in on their morning meetings before they open. They spend a half hour every day going over the weekly ad, good store managers wouldn't let them get away with not caring. I cared about the customer when I worked those jobs when I was that age. I really don't understand not doing your best all the time.

Joseph
12-23-2006, 01:53 PM
I wasn't trying to turn this into an 'I wasn't raised that way' argument/debate, I don't think one person on here or even those kids would claim they were raised that way.

I take my job very seriously now, as I'm sure many of you do, but I also know those kids [many of them anyway] say to themselves every day that there are a dozen other jobs out there just like that one that require no talent, skill, or knowledge to get hired for and if they lose that one because they'd rather be text messaging their significant other, it's no big deal.

RANDY IN INDY
12-23-2006, 02:03 PM
And that is a problem when you are being paid to do a job.