PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Jr. breaks hand

sammonator
12-22-2006, 11:37 AM
According to Lance's blog, Griffey Jr. has suffered a broken left hand.

timmario66
12-22-2006, 11:38 AM
No Joke

Griffey Jr injured
Ken Griffey Jr. has suffered a broken left hand in an accident at home.
He will remain in a hard cast until he is re-examined in approximately 3 weeks.

scounts22
12-22-2006, 11:39 AM
According to Lance's blog, Griffey Jr. has suffered a broken left hand.

How?

redsfan30
That's great. :(

Hopefully he's ready to go come February, but I wouldn't bet on it as close as we are.

sammonator
It just said that he had an accident at home.

Johnny Footstool
12-22-2006, 11:43 AM
He has about 9 weeks until he is due to report to ST, so he should be recovered by then.

If anything, maybe the front office can use this as an excuse to move him to RF or 1B.

RedRoser
12-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Didn't want to the trade to go through? :evil:

edabbs44
12-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Tremendous.

shredda2000
12-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Maybe he punched the wall when he found out Jeff Conine was replacing him as the everyday centerfielder!!! :eek:

KronoRed
12-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Wonderful :(

KoryMac5
12-22-2006, 11:46 AM
New training regement he's trying to get out all the injuries possible during the off-season.

justincredible
12-22-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm hoping the injury was at least something worthwhile of an injury, like getting his hand smashed with a sledgehammer.

More than likely he was trying to open a jar of pickles and it snapped.

KittyDuran
12-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Wonderful :(On a happier note... Krono's back! [we missed ya... read Poster Awards thread]

Roy Tucker
12-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Narron says Junior is "day to day" and available for pinch-running.

reds44
12-22-2006, 11:52 AM
CINCINNATI … (AP) … Ken Griffey Jr. broke his left hand in an accident at home, the latest in a series of injuries that have hampered the career of the All-Star outfielder.

Griffey's throwing hand will be in a hard cast for three weeks, then will be re-examined, Reds spokesman Rob Butcher said Friday.

Butcher said he could not say when or how the accident occurred because Griffey did not authorize any more details to be released. Butcher also could not say whether Griffey would be ready when spring training starts in mid-February.

Freaking awesome.

M2
12-22-2006, 11:55 AM
The weird thing is you know this is going to lead to a screwed up hammy or knee. It's like six degrees of Kevin Bacon. The only real question is how Jr.'s broken hand will turn into a leg injury.

Red Leader
12-22-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm blaiming the Nintendo Wii for sure!

Video game consoles claim their second major league victim.

KronoRed
12-22-2006, 12:02 PM

The Mariners have their revenge!! :devil:

Heath
12-22-2006, 12:07 PM
The Mariners have their revenge!! :devil:

Mariners got their revenge when they traded him away in 2000.

:D

edabbs44
12-22-2006, 12:48 PM
He has about 9 weeks until he is due to report to ST, so he should be recovered by then.

If anything, maybe the front office can use this as an excuse to move him to RF or 1B.

Remember the day-to-day knee strain last year? Yeah, me too.

Tom Servo
12-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Playing too much Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr?

redsfan4445
12-22-2006, 01:14 PM
think the Reds will look at Sosa incase?? i know i know.. bad idea.. but what else is out there..and he will take $500,000 to play!!

Heath
12-22-2006, 01:23 PM
think the Reds will look at Sosa incase?? i know i know.. bad idea.. but what else is out there..and he will take $500,000 to play!!

Only if ol' leather pants would be GM, he'd be here.

savafan
12-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Unfreakingbelievable...well, okay, not really, this is Junior we're talking about...

Caseyfan21
12-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Maybe he fell off a golf cart.

redsupport
12-22-2006, 02:04 PM
griffey is an abject farce

Team Clark
12-22-2006, 02:04 PM
6 weeks recovery right? So what's the big deal?

RedEye
12-22-2006, 02:13 PM
So how many body parts does he have left to break now? I feel like he's covered all the major ones.

Jpup
12-22-2006, 02:41 PM
I hope Jr is OK. Hopefully it's not a big deal. I can't help but wonder how it will affect his hitting. I'm sure he'll be fine.

redsupport
12-22-2006, 02:53 PM
maybe he willhelp the reds to a dynasty. I hear he covers a lot of ground

Johnny Footstool
12-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Remember the day-to-day knee strain last year? Yeah, me too.

Broken bones heal pretty easily.

gm
12-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Has Junior been playing too much Guitar Hero II with Trey?

Chip R
12-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Broken bones heal pretty easily.

True enough but there needs to be therapy as well since the muscles have atrophied in the cast. It's not like he is going to pick up a bat the day after he gets out of the cast and start taking BP. There could be residual pain as well all throughout the season. It could be that after a month or so, Jr.'s hand will be 100% but it could also be likely that he will be suffering after effects all season long.

George Foster
12-22-2006, 04:22 PM

I know your making a joke but for him not to release how it happened, makes me wonder if you did not hit the nail on the head. He's a walking Titanic.

Handofdeath
12-22-2006, 04:54 PM
6 weeks recovery right? So what's the big deal?

This is Griffey and the Reds we're talking about. If they're saying 6 weeks recovery time that can only mean the doctors are discussing amputation.

PickOff
12-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Narron says Junior is "day to day" and available for pinch-running.

:laugh:

Jefferson24
12-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Do you think they knew about the hand when they traded for Conine? The Griffey article said he was put in a cast today but it didn't say when he broke it.

dougdirt
12-22-2006, 05:41 PM
True enough but there needs to be therapy as well since the muscles have atrophied in the cast. It's not like he is going to pick up a bat the day after he gets out of the cast and start taking BP. There could be residual pain as well all throughout the season. It could be that after a month or so, Jr.'s hand will be 100% but it could also be likely that he will be suffering after effects all season long.

I broke my thumb when I was 15, was in a cast to my elbow for 8 weeks (I really broke it, not just some little crack in the bone). I was back to playing baseball 2 weeks after the cast came off and couldnt tell the difference.

I think this is no big deal. Griffey isnt due in spring training really for about 10-12 weeks anyways.

Chip R
12-22-2006, 05:54 PM
I broke my thumb when I was 15, was in a cast to my elbow for 8 weeks (I really broke it, not just some little crack in the bone). I was back to playing baseball 2 weeks after the cast came off and couldnt tell the difference.

I think this is no big deal. Griffey isnt due in spring training really for about 10-12 weeks anyways.

And you were 15, not 35. You may have had an entirely different injury than Jr. does. I hope he'll be back right away but let's say he has always either hit off a tee or taken BP on a machine or from someone during the offseason. He can't do that this year. He's going to have to wait until right before ST or during it to start hitting again. Remember that slow start he got off to a couple of years ago after the hamstring surgery? 2007 could be a repeat of that since his training will be interrupted. And maybe it's a bone that won't affect his swing one iota. God knows there are a lot of bones in the hand. But we have no way of knowing that.

AccordinglyReds
12-22-2006, 06:06 PM
:(

I hope Junior can make a speedy recovery and be ready for ST. :)

steig
12-22-2006, 06:17 PM
This is not a good start to christmas :(

Degenerate39
12-22-2006, 06:28 PM
This man use to be my hero I loved watching him play. Now will we ever get to see him finish a whole season again? This is so depressing for me I want to cry.

Griffey breaks hand in accident

By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer
December 22, 2006

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Ken Griffey Jr. broke his left hand in an accident at home, the latest in a series of injuries that have derailed the career of the All-Star outfielder.

Griffey's throwing hand will be in a hard cast for three weeks, then will be re-examined, Reds spokesman Rob Butcher said Friday.

Butcher said he could not say when or how the accident occurred because Griffey did not authorize any more details to be released.

General manager Wayne Krivsky wasn't sure whether Griffey will be ready for the start of spring training. The club will have a better idea when the hand is examined again in three weeks.

"It's just too early to tell," Krivsky said.

The outfielder, who turned 37 on Nov. 21, has been severely limited by injuries since he joined his hometown team before the 2000 season. He missed nearly a month early last season because of inflammation behind his right knee, and sat out 22 of the last 24 games after dislocating a toe.

Overall, the 12-time All-Star hit .252 with 27 homers and 72 RBIs in 109 games, his fourth-highest total with the Reds. He is tied for 10th on the career home run list with 563 and has two years left on his contract.

Asked if Griffey's injury would affect his offseason roster moves, Krivsky said, "It's not like we've got a game tomorrow. We're worried about getting him healed and going from there."

Griffey returned to his hometown before the 2000 season in a trade with Seattle, and hit .271 with 40 homers and 118 RBIs in 145 games. He had a sore hamstring during the season, but played through the pain and avoided the disabled list.

He went on the disabled list in 2001 after tearing a hamstring, starting his run of major injuries. He was on the disabled list twice in 2002 (torn knee tendon and hamstring), twice in 2003 (dislocated shoulder and torn ankle tendon) and twice in 2004 (two hamstring tears).

For three years in a row, he didn't play in more than 83 games in a season. He finally avoided major injury during the 2005 season, when he hit .301 with 35 homers in 128 games -- his second-highest total with Cincinnati.

The performance won him the NL comeback player of the year award. He showed up for spring training healthy this year, and was impressive during the World Baseball Classic, hitting .524 with three homers.

But he hurt his knee while catching a fly ball during batting practice at Wrigley Field last April, prompting him to go on the disabled list for the eighth time since he rejoined the Reds. When he returned a month later, the resumed his climb up baseball's homer and RBI lists.

Griffey finished the season with 563 homers, tying Reggie Jackson for 10th. His 1,608 RBIs rank 22nd on the career list, which goes back to 1920 when it became an official statistic.

When he came home to Cincinnati in February 2000, he was on pace to break Hank Aaron's home run record of 755; Griffey had been the youngest player to reach the 350-homer mark. All of the injuries have likely cost him a chance to catch Aaron.

realistic
12-22-2006, 08:19 PM
For the very first time ever i now find myself saying "Get rid of Griffey". Ive defended him for 6 years of injuries, this is no longer excusable. Release him, trade him , sell him to Japan - whatever can be done , but lets move on to a new era of Reds baseball.

Im a very patient and forgiving man, but to read that he broke his hand in the offseason has me boiling with anger. If it were anyone else it wouldnt be a story - theyd be back by April. But Griffey? He will nurse that all year.

I am officialy surrendering my seat in his corner.

RedFanAlways1966
12-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Ive defended him for 6 years of injuries, this is no longer excusable.

Im a very patient and forgiving man, but to read that he broke his hand in the offseason has me boiling with anger.

Really? I am not being sarcastic... we cannot expect players to live in plastic bubbles during the offseason. Some injuries can make fans and FO members angry:

Ron Gant: Hurt leg while riding a motorcycle.
Aaron Boone: Hurt knee while playing hoops.
Jeff Kent: Claims he got hurt while washing his car, but that seems to be a lie.

Of course we do not know how this happened. If he broke the hand while playing basketball or riding a motorcycle, then there is reason to be angry. If he broke the hand while slipping in the shower, tripping while going down a flight of stairs, falling down b/c he tripped over one of his kid's toys... then I cannot personally be angry at the guy. Bad things happen in the real world. They happen to "regular people" and they happen to professional athletes. If something happened as a result of a freak thing (and not while doing something that can be dangerous), then it is not fair to be angry. It is the real world... as unlucky as the real world can be sometimes.

Since the rules say that he does not have to publicly disclose the cause of the injury, then we might never know. But until we do it is not fair to be angry at the guy for living his life. I know b/c I have broken a bone three times in my life while around the house in the last 6 years: (1) Tripped while jogging and broke my thumb, (2) Had a basketball backboard fall down while adjusting it's height and broke my hand, (3) Fell down the stairs and broke my wrist. Freak accidents that happened while doing normal activities around the house. I am not a pro athlete, but I can relate to how things can happen while living "normally".

It is okay to desire a trade for Junior. But lets not be angry for this broken hand until (if it ever is known) we know more about how it happened.

Team Clark
12-22-2006, 09:17 PM
For the very first time ever i now find myself saying "Get rid of Griffey". Ive defended him for 6 years of injuries, this is no longer excusable. Release him, trade him , sell him to Japan - whatever can be done , but lets move on to a new era of Reds baseball.

Im a very patient and forgiving man, but to read that he broke his hand in the offseason has me boiling with anger. If it were anyone else it wouldnt be a story - theyd be back by April. But Griffey? He will nurse that all year.

So, if he rescued a child from the mouth of an Alligator you would still be mad? C'mon...

harangatang
12-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Has Junior been playing too much Guitar Hero II with Trey?Maybe Joel Zumaya.

gilpdawg
12-23-2006, 12:08 AM
This is much ado about nothing. If it was Adam Dunn's hand, it would be a non-issue. He'll be fine for spring. The real question is whether he can bounce back after having not so good of a year when he did play last year.

realistic
12-23-2006, 01:25 AM
No, i fully understand your views, injuries happen and are just poor luck more often than lot. And i agree most off season injuries go unreported and are trivial. If this happened to Ryan Freel only RedsZone would know. ESPN would not be running it on the bottomline.

But lets be realistic. Some people are short and cant play basketball at a high level because of it. Some great baseball players cant hit a curveball due to lack of hand eye coordination. Imagine if Doug Flutie were 6'6" ? All of these are genetic and general health issues that the player can not control but prevent them from doing what they would love to do.

Ken Griffey Jr. is obviously just too fragile to ever again be a major league baseball player worthy of his salary ,job position , and other concessions the team provides him.

Some people i know catch colds frequently and miss at my workplace because of allergies or other issues beyond thier control and that leads to poor job production. After about the 15th day off in a 6 month span i feel its best to cut them loose for the sake of the business.

Im not blaming Griffey, and i really would love nothing more than to see him in his prime once again. Ive defended him over the years time after time, Im just saying i , me - personally , am done with it and have finally turned the corner and decided id rather see him out of the Reds organization. Im jumping on the bandwagon of those ive disagreed with for so long.

For the sake of the team/business.

Krusty
12-23-2006, 01:30 AM
You know it is a slow offseason for the Reds when Griffey breaking his hand during the offseason makes major news.

Cedric
12-23-2006, 02:09 AM
Boiling with anger over an injury? I'm usually the one that people tell to check their priorities.

Phhhl
12-23-2006, 03:12 AM
I remember Aaron Boone having his wrist broken by a hbp, and I think he was back in less than two months. Why should this linger into the season? He'll be ready to go.

markymark69
12-23-2006, 08:44 AM
I am going to attempt to put a positive spin on this. Maybe Griffey gets his injury out of the way early and can actually play a full season?

If this were going to happen, I would rather this happen now, while we're still 7-8 weeks away from spring training then in February, March or April.

jojo
12-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Im a very patient and forgiving man, but to read that he broke his hand in the offseason has me boiling with anger. .

I doubt he did it on purpose....

Injuries to his legs, the defensive shift and advancing age really are the perfect storm for the Reds and Griffey's backloaded contract. I think Griffey is a first ballot HOFer but I really hope he retires during spring training. I don't want to watch Griffey be a replacement level talent.... and I certainly don't want the Reds to pay him for it like he was an elite player.

Matt700wlw
12-23-2006, 09:19 AM
The guy can't catch a break

Redsland
12-23-2006, 12:02 PM
You know it is a slow offseason for the Reds when Griffey breaking his hand during the offseason makes major news.
Under what circumstance would you imagine that this wouldn't make news? He is, after all, our $12 million starting centerfield-playing Hall of Famer, and the face of the franchise.

Natty Redlocks
12-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Must...bash...Junior...
Haven't...bashed...Junior...in...so...long...

You're a team man, Mr. Griff
You're selfless as a saint
You'd play catcher if they asked you
You'd happily bat eighth
Mr. Griiiiiiff
Too bad you're retired...
...and your prima donna son ain't....

Highlifeman21
12-23-2006, 03:46 PM

Can't catch a ball hit in the gap either.

Cigar2
12-23-2006, 04:47 PM
Oh No, Where Dooooomed!!!!:p:
Man the way same the media played this thing you'd think that.

TheWalls
12-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Mariners got their revenge when they traded him away in 2000.

:D

You're right those future Hall of Famers we sent their way have led to a dominant era of World Series champions in Seattle haven't they!

gilpdawg
12-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Wrong Matt, he caught a break, unfortunately, he caught it in his hand. :evil: