PDA

View Full Version : Lionel Jefferson died nine days ago

macro
12-24-2006, 12:00 AM
I didn't realize that he created and wrote for "Good Times". I wonder if it's no coincidence that the family's name on "Good Times" was Evans and one of the characters was named "Michael"? Another thing the two had in common was that Ja'net DuBois, the woman who played Wilona Woods in Good Times, sang the theme song for The Jeffersons.

I loved both Good Times and The Jeffersons growing up. Good Times was a Wednesday night tradition and The Jeffersons was a Sunday night tradition at our house. Anybody remember a very young Janet Jackson appearing in Good Times? She debuted as an abused child, and ended up being adopted by Wilona. And how about Florida Evans exclamation of profanity when she finds out that James has died? One of the classic moments in television.

Anyway, it's sad to hear that Evans died so young.

http://images.news14charlotte.com/media/2006/12/22/images/01lioneljefferson2.jpg

'Jeffersons' Actor Mike Evans Dies
TWENTYNINE PALMS, Calif., Dec. 22, 2006

(AP) Actor Mike Evans, best known as Lionel Jefferson in the TV comedy series "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons," has died. He was 57.

Evans died of throat cancer Dec. 14 at his mother's home in Twentynine Palms, said his niece, Chrystal Evans.

Evans, along with Eric Monte, also created and wrote for "Good Times," one of the first TV comedy series that featured a primarily black cast.

Michael Jonas Evans was born Nov. 3, 1949, in Salisbury, N.C. His father, Theodore Evans Sr., was a dentist while his mother, Annie Sue Evans, was a school teacher.

The family moved to Los Angeles when Evans was a child.

He studied acting at Los Angeles City College before getting the role of Lionel Jefferson in the 1970s situation comedy "All in the Family."

Evans kept the role of Lionel when "The Jeffersons" launched in 1975. The hit show was a spinoff featuring bigoted Archie Bunker's black neighbors in Queens who "move on up to the East Side" of Manhattan.

Evans was replaced by Damon Evans (no relation) for four years, then he returned to the series from 1979 to 1981.

He also acted in the 1976 TV miniseries "Rich Man, Poor Man" and made guest appearances on the TV series "Love, American Style" and "The Streets of San Francisco." His last role was in a 2000 episode of "Walker, Texas Ranger."

In recent years he had invested in real estate in Southern California.

George Foster
12-24-2006, 12:13 AM
I wonder if he was the writer that coined the phrase, "Dynomite" and "chello"
when JJ answered the phone? Those were 2 of the most popular catch phases of the 70's. Rest in peace Lionel, your talent will be missed.