PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland in February-- Nothing Better?

Edskin
12-25-2006, 09:33 AM
As many of you know, I'm a bit of an odd sort. A Reds fan, a Redskins fan, a Cleveland Cavs fan. Oh yeah, I live in Oklahoma. A weirdo.

This year, I may have just received my all-time favorite Christmas gift. I am being sent to CLEVELAND IN FEBRUARY!!!! This may sound like a nightmare to 99.9% of the universe, but it's pure gold to me. My wife, in-laws, and parents combined to buy me round-trip tickets, game tickets, and three nights at the Renaissance to see the Cavs play the Heat and the Lakers the second week in Feb. I'm on cloud 9. I'm like a kid all over again. This is just the coolest thing.......EVER!

Of course, I do find it interesting that I'll be traveling alone....as much as they love me and wanted to do something special for me, they all decided they'd rather stay back for this one :) But I don't care. I can't wait.

So, if any of you feel like making the cross-state drive in about 6 weeks, let me know :)

WMR
12-25-2006, 10:31 AM
Cleveland is a cool city. It's castigated unfairly by a lot of people.

westofyou
12-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Cleveland is a cool city. It's castigated unfairly by a lot of people.

Given the choice between Cincinnati and Cleveland to live in, I would choose Cleveland.

remdog
12-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Given the choice between Cincinnati and Cleveland to live in, I would choose Cleveland.

I've lived in both and I'd choose Cincinnati. But, I suppose we are all just trying to excape our past. :laugh:

Rem

WVRed
12-25-2006, 02:27 PM
I've lived in both and I'd choose Cincinnati. But, I suppose we are all just trying to excape our past. :laugh:

Rem

I have family that lives in northern Kentucky across from Cincinnati. If I had to move to Cincinnati, I would probably prefer to live in Kentucky.

Cleveland is nice too, but that is just from only going to the Rock and Roll HOF and Jacobs Field.

westofyou
12-25-2006, 02:52 PM
I've lived in both and I'd choose Cincinnati.

I haven't, so that's probably why I choose Cleveland, that and the weather and the local food.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't reserve the right to flip flop.

I have family that lives in northern Kentucky across from Cincinnati. If I had to move to Cincinnati, I would probably prefer to live in Kentucky.

All my family ties now live in West Chester, I'd prefer to live on the eastside of Cincinnati if I had to choose.

remdog
12-25-2006, 03:02 PM
....that and the weather and the local food.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't reserve the right to flip flop.

The weather? It's amazing what a difference 250 southern miles can make. Much more 'milder' temps, less cold north wind and no lake effect snow. :dunno:

Food is, of course, more of a personal preference and WOY and I certainly have differing outlooks on that but I always enjoyed the food in Cincinnati more than Cleveland, but that's just me.

Rem

remdog
12-25-2006, 03:17 PM
OK, let's help to make this Ed's Excellent Adventure. He'll be in Cleveland for three days, by himself, and if ya' can't meet up with him how about some suggestions of things to do.

It's been about 3 years since I've been in Cleveland but the usual things regarding the R & R HOF and the Flats come to mind while staying downtown. How about some more current suggestions?

Ed, what dates will you be there? There may be some things going on during the time you're there that locals will be aware of.

BTW, the Renassaince used to be the Cleveland Sheraton when I was a kid. From the time I was 14 thru 16 I would take the bus to DT Cleveland and work as a vendor at the old Muni Stadium. It was a perfect way to see the game for free and make some money at the same time. :) After night games I would often go to the coffee shop at the Sheraton to wait for the bus. That was the team hotel for many teams and I met players like Al Kaline, Harmon Killebrew, Bob Alison, Tony Oliva (for some reason, Twins players come to mind). Quite a thrill when you're 15 years old. Good times.

As I've mentioned before, I root for the Cavs having been one of the original public stockholders and much of the front office of the original team was made up of fellow BG alums.

Have a great time!

Rem

westofyou
12-25-2006, 04:54 PM
The weather? It's amazing what a difference 250 southern miles can make. Much more 'milder' temps, less cold north wind and no lake effect snow.I hate the summer in Cincinnati enough to take the winter up north.

Edskin
12-25-2006, 10:25 PM
rem-- I'm getting there on 2/9 and leaving on 12/2. The games will dominate my days on Friday and Sunday, but I will have a day to kill on Saturday. I'm pretty easy though-- I'll check out the R+R HOF, see the area, etc.... but honestly, I'm the type of dude that will probably be pretty content chilin' at the hotel, watching the tube, taking a nap..... :) Suggestions are appreciated though.

Yachtzee
12-26-2006, 01:59 AM
I hate the summer in Cincinnati enough to take the winter up north.

Unfortunately, the shallowness of Lake Erie means that the lake gets warmer in the summer than the other Great Lakes. So we don't get that much of a break on summer temps. It gets pretty humid up here too, because much of northern Ohio was swampland oh so many years ago. Basically, we have hot, humid summmers and cold winters with a lot of snow.

If I lived elsewhere and had to choose to live in one place or the other, I would look at factors other than weather. If you want good weather, choose somewhere other than Ohio.

remdog
12-26-2006, 07:19 AM
Well then, chill away Ed. :laugh: Maybe someone has restaurnat recommendations though.

BTW, I'm sure I don't have to tell you this but you should have time to do a little shopping for Mrs. Skin. She deserves something nice. What a gal to do this for you! :thumbup:

Have a great time.

Rem

WMR
12-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Well then, chill away Ed. :laugh: Maybe someone has restaurnat recommendations though.

BTW, I'm sure I don't have to tell you this but you should have time to do a little shopping for Mrs. Skin. She deserves something nice. What a gal to do this for you! :thumbup:

Have a great time.

Rem

Ed, has anyone recommended a good strip club for you yet? :devil:

westofyou
12-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Unfortunately, the shallowness of Lake Erie means that the lake gets warmer in the summer than the other Great Lakes. So we don't get that much of a break on summer temps. It gets pretty humid up here too, because much of northern Ohio was swampland oh so many years ago. Basically, we have hot, humid summmers and cold winters with a lot of snow.

Cincinnati is still more humid then northern Ohio, the air hangs there like and old sheet. I'd take any less amount of humidity... I lived in Detroit long enough to know it's a bit better up north humidity wise.

If I lived elsewhere and had to choose to live in one place or the other, I would look at factors other than weather. If you want good weather, choose somewhere other than Ohio.

I apply that to the whole Midwest.

Edskin
12-26-2006, 10:40 AM
You guys should come on down to Oklahoma in the summer! Yikes :)

westofyou
12-26-2006, 10:50 AM
You guys should come on down to Oklahoma in the summer! Yikes :)

Couldn't be worse then Atlanta, and I've spent a considerable summers down there.

That said I've fought my wifes desire to move to Austin for a good portion of the last decade. For exactly the reason you suggested OK

WMR
12-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Couldn't be worse then Atlanta, and I've spent a considerable summers down there.

That said I've fought my wifes desire to move to Austin for a good portion of the last decade. For exactly the reason you suggested OK

Good thing there's no global warming ;) , otherwise some of these places would be getting even more uncomfortable over the next few years.

westofyou
12-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Good thing there's no global warming ;) , otherwise some of these places would be getting even more uncomfortable over the next few years.

Get a couple of these around your city and you'll cool down.

http://www.onfocus.com/cam/2003/hood_bkg.jpg

RBA
12-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Or one of these....

http://www.buysandiegotours.com/images/sd_helicopter/socal_beach_2.jpg

Heath
12-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Or, one of these....

http://www.southamericanexperience.co.uk/antarctica/images/humpback_oceanwide.jpg

redsfan1966
12-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Ed, I too am sort of an odd bird. I grew up in Columbus OH and chose to root for the Reds and Steelers...I guess I must have been a front runner growing up in the 70s--but at least I have stuck with them since. As far as a restaurant recommendation while in Cleveland---you should go to the House of Blues. I know its not a "local" eatery--it is a theme chain--but every time I have been there, I have not been disappointed--great food and if you are lucky, you might get some live tunes.

As far as Cleveland, I do not like to give it or its sports fans many props--but I must admit Jacobs Field is still a crown jewel and the Gateway area around it and the arena is a great place to be before and after a game.

Yachtzee
12-26-2006, 04:25 PM
There are a number of good restaurants downtown that are good. My advice is to talk to the front desk or the concierge at the hotel to find a good place to go. They should have a better idea of where to go and might be able to direct you to a hidden gem.

Tower City Center is a good place to go shopping if you want to buy something for the wifey or other family members. It's connected to the Q through an enclosed walkway, so you can head down before the game, do some looking around, and head over to the game without having to go outside, which can be rough in downtown Cleveland in February.

If you are interested in checking out the local flavor as far as food goes, you can try to make it over to the West Side Market. It's not open every day, so look it up online or check with the folks at the hotel to find out its hours. They have a great stand offering bratwurst w/ sauerkraut, not to mention the various stands offering baked goods. Many of the stands are oriented toward Italian and Hungarian cuisine. It really is a treat to visit if you are looking for a place to go with some local flair.

Across from the West Side Market is the Great Lakes Brewing Company. It's a local microbrewery that also operates a brewpub and gift shop. You can go there for dinner, get a brewery tour, and sample many of their fine beers. I highly recommend their beers.

If you have access to a car and don't mind doing a bit of driving, you can also take a trip 1 hour south on I-77 to Canton to visit the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It really is a fantastic place for any football fan to visit, and you will find the Redskins well represented here.

Edskin
12-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Yes, visiting the pro football HOF has been a lifelong dream. However, with all the money being poured into this trip for little ole' me, I figured I'd keep my costs as low as possible once I get there. Plus, it gives me an excuse to go back to Ohio! My wife bought me a brick at GAB that I have yet to see-- a summer trip to Cincy for a home series is still in the future I hope. We're also big Dave Matthews Band fans, and we keep waiting for a concert and home series to coincide on a weekend, but we're still waiting.....

Oh and by the way, I've been hinting for years that we give our first born son the middle name "Canton," but it kind of hits a brick wall :)

Yachtzee
12-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Well, whenever you make to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. If you are coming just for the HOF itself, I recommend coming during HOF Weekend, to see the parade, the induction ceremony and all the stuff that goes along with it.

Blimpie
12-26-2006, 05:48 PM
I have but three words to sum up Cleveland this time of year:

Lake. Effect. Snow.