PDA

View Full Version : Hillandbrand and Folke Rumblings

RedLegSuperStar
12-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Angels Sign Shea Hillandbrand:

Angels agreed to terms with infielder Shea Hillenbrand, who had been with the Giants, to a one-year, $6.5 million contract with a vesting club option for 2008.
He'll make $6 million next year. The option for 2008 is worth $6.5 million and includes a $500,000 buyout. Hillenbrand is too poor of a defender to be an everyday third baseman. Instead, the Angels are getting a first baseman or a DH with a career line of .287/.325/.449 compiled while spending almost his entire career in quality hitter's parks. His career high in OPS is 812 and he's never driven in more than 83 runs. Also, he's got a fun over-inflated sense of self worth to deal with. That it's just a one-year contract makes him a tolerable option. The Angels, though, needed an impact bat this winter and it looks like they won't get one.

Keith Folke is on the verge of signing with Cleveland:

According to his agent, Keith Foulke is close to a one-year deal with a mutual option with the Indians.
Confirming what FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reported last week. Agent Dan Horwits said a deal could be cemented in the next day or two.

Jpup
12-27-2006, 12:15 AM
Both deals are something I'm glad the Reds didn't go after. 6.5 million for Hillenbrand is way too much IMO. That makes you wonder what Craig Wilson is going to get. That could be the reason the Reds were stuck with the likes of Conine.

Reds1
12-27-2006, 12:26 AM
Conine's a bargain if Hillenbrand got that much. Give me a freakin break. These contracts are crazy! Heck, why didn't we just sign Aurilia.

Ron Madden
12-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Never wanted Hillrnbrand, I did want Craig Wilson.

No matter what Hillenbrand or Wilson sign for or who they sign with.

There is no good reason to trade for Conine. (JMHO)

Reds1
12-27-2006, 08:27 AM
I don't know why the love for Craig Wilson. Ave. Defense and another Strike out guy! I don't think he fits well on this team and he is going to get what 8 million. I'll take Deno, Freel, and Conine in the OF with Griffey and dunn.

RedsManRick
12-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Because not striking out doesn't produce runs -- getting on base and moving runners around does. Craig Wilson does those two things better than Conine and better than Hatteberg against lefties.

pahster
12-27-2006, 09:59 AM
I don't know why the love for Craig Wilson. Ave. Defense and another Strike out guy! I don't think he fits well on this team and he is going to get what 8 million. I'll take Deno, Freel, and Conine in the OF with Griffey and dunn.

Wilson's Career
.265/.354/.480/.834

Thats why. Now compare him to Conine, who has a career line of .286/.348/.445/.793, which isn't awful, but also isn't that good. Also, look at his combined totals from the last three years - .282/.343/.413/.756. He has been producing like a middle infielder while playing power positions. He slugged under .400 last year and barely kept his OPS above .700. He's 40 and his production has been trending downward.

Strikeouts are bad, but only in the sense that they are outs. I fail to see how adding Wilson, who is a high power batter with above average on base ability, would not be a "fit" with the Reds' (or any team's) offense.

flyer85
12-27-2006, 10:15 AM
I fail to see how adding Wilson, who is a high power batter with above average on base ability, would not be a "fit" with the Reds' (or any team's) offense.plus Wilson has some serious platoon splits, which makes him excellent for a platoon situation. Conine does not have splits that make him useful in a platoon role.

Ron Madden
12-28-2006, 02:11 AM
Wilson's Career
.265/.354/.480/.834

Thats why. Now compare him to Conine, who has a career line of .286/.348/.445/.793, which isn't awful, but also isn't that good. Also, look at his combined totals from the last three years - .282/.343/.413/.756. He has been producing like a middle infielder while playing power positions. He slugged under .400 last year and barely kept his OPS above .700. He's 40 and his production has been trending downward.

Strikeouts are bad, but only in the sense that they are outs. I fail to see how adding Wilson, who is a high power batter with above average on base ability, would not be a "fit" with the Reds' (or any team's) offense.

Well said, :clap:

Reds1
12-28-2006, 09:00 AM
IMO I don't think his stats warrant the kind of money we think he's going to get. I didn't say he wasn't better then Conine, but I never thought his defense was very good and we have too many strike out hitters in this line up. They will go games without scoring. We'll be another team that will hit a lot of HRs, but not be consistant. I'd rather have a .300 defensive punch and judy hitter that gets on base that cost peanuts aka Deno/Freel and spend the money on a zito type pitcher. Pitching and Defense wins. Wouldn't a closer be nice!

This ain't gonna do it!
Wilson's Career
.265/.354/.480/.834

Always Red
12-28-2006, 10:21 AM
plus Wilson has some serious platoon splits, which makes him excellent for a platoon situation. Conine does not have splits that make him useful in a platoon role.

Agreed, but maybe Wilson's tired of only playing against LH pitching, and wants a shot at a full time job. He knows Votto is the heir apparent here, knows he'll platoon with Hatty, and maybe he just doesn't want to come here? Maybe the agents, and Conine, know all that too, but Conine doesn't mind as much because he's at the end of his career?:dunno: