PDA

View Full Version : Graves signs a minor league contract with the Rockies

Reds Fanatic
12-27-2006, 03:54 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/12/27/bc.bbn.rockies.graves.ap/index.html

DENVER (AP) -- The Colorado Rockies agreed to terms with reliever Danny Graves, who pitched for Cleveland last year, on a minor-league contract.

Jeff Bridich, the team's director of baseball operations, said Wednesday the deal is pending a physical in January.

"We like his history and experience as a bullpen guy," Bridich said.

The Rockies lost relievers Jose Mesa to Detroit and Ray King to Washington during the offseason. The team recently re-signed veteran Tom Martin.

"There was a need to fortify our bullpen," Bridich said.

Graves pitched 14 innings in 13 games last season for the Indians and had a 2-1 record. He also pitched 51 2/3 innings over 33 games last season for the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons. He was 1-1 with a 4.01 ERA.

Graves had a career-high 41 saves with Cincinnati in 2004, when he was picked for his second All-Star game.

If added to the 40-man roster, he would get a one-year contract calling for a $600,000 salary in the major leagues and the chance to earn $400,000 in performance bonuses. He would earn the full amount of performance bonuses if he pitches in 65 games.

registerthis
12-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Is there a clause in his contract that allows Danny to bring along his own supercharged humidor?

Heath
12-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Physical in January?

I read that as 'Crash Diet'.

Danny needs to lay off the Cheesburgers.

And that sinker ball in Coors? Might as well toss the kitchen sink.

flyer85
12-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Now wouldn't that be a nice fit, Danny Boy and Coors (field that is).

Doc. Scott
12-27-2006, 05:40 PM
I still can't believe someone guaranteed Jose Mesa $2.5 million for 2007, much less a contending team like Detroit. It makes the Reds' guys look like steals.

Wheelhouse
12-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Graves has experience in what? Watching balls launched over his head? I remember watching a game where Shawn Green had just jacked Graves and they showed him in the dugout talking to a teammate, putting his hand about waist high as if to say "if the ball is above here, it's mashable, and below just let it go as it will sink out of the strike zone." MLB has absolutely had the guy's number the last several years--and this talk of him "tipping pitches" because Pujols said he knew the Cards would win when Graves was brought in is total nonsense. Pujols knew they would win because Graves does not have Major League stuff, pure and simple.

RedsManRick
12-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Hard to believe that Graves is 33. I know their stuff is different, but when I see Majewski, I think Graves. Both are ground ball guys who can be successful when they don't walk too many. They won't miss many bats and are a little too hittable, but can be effective if they're in control of their stuff.

Aronchis
12-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Graves is a typical short pitcher that died after 30. Watch his game between 98-02 and you get a different pitcher. One that throws up to 94 with good sink.

westofyou
12-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Graves is a typical short pitcher that died after 30. Watch his game between 98-02 and you get a different pitcher. One that throws up to 94 with good sink.

Yep, he's pretty much toast.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46119

TeamBoone
12-28-2006, 12:23 AM
This has nothing to do with Danny, but I learned it in this thread.

Ray King and Austin Kearns are both playing for Washington now... do players hold grudges over things that happened when they weren't teammates? if yes, are they automatically resolved once they become teammates? or could they possibly affect team chemistry?

Just curious.

Chip R
12-28-2006, 12:31 AM
This has nothing to do with Danny, but I learned it in this thread.

Ray King and Austin Kearns are both playing for Washington now... do players hold grudges over things that happened when they weren't teammates? if yes, are they automatically resolved once they become teammates? or could they possibly affect team chemistry?

Just curious.

I'm sure they do hold grudges. Eric Davis felt that Ray Knight held a grudge against him when Knight was managing the Reds cause of that fight they got into when Knight was playing for the Mets.

But I think that King-Kearns play was an accident. It's not like he beaned him or anything.

Funny thing about the Graves signing is that if Graves doesn't make the Rockies and they keep him in AAA, he's going to have to play in Colorado Springs which has as much altitude as Denver but no humidor.

Kc61
12-28-2006, 12:50 AM
I hope Mr. Castellini becomes aware that Reds fans are so excited about the team that they are writing long Redszone threads about Danny Graves' minor league contract with Colorado.

BCubb2003
12-28-2006, 02:30 AM
I hope Mr. Castellini becomes aware that Reds fans are so excited about the team that they are writing long Redszone threads about Danny Graves' minor league contract with Colorado.

Careful, he might take it as a sign that the Reds should bring Danny Graves back. Power of tradition and all that.

GAC
12-28-2006, 04:59 AM
:mooner:

Matt700wlw
12-28-2006, 09:18 AM
The longest home run at Coors Field record may be broken soon if he gets the call-up...

Heath
12-28-2006, 11:09 AM
:mooner:

where's the other picture that someone photoshopped?

:D

gm
12-29-2006, 02:10 PM

Graves was ground ball machine, until that "starter experiment" in '03

Highlifeman21
12-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Graves was ground ball machine, until that "starter experiment" in '03

Gotta love a starter than can only pitch from the stretch.