PDA

View Full Version : Jason Taylor speaks out on Merriman's steroid suspension

HumnHilghtFreel
12-27-2006, 05:54 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhcY0WYkZILe9e35ok8g7h45nYcB?slug=ap-dolphins-chargers-taylor-merriman&prov=ap&type=lgns

He's basically saying he shouldn't even be considered in the voting, if even allowed to play at all. I tend to agree with him on the voting portion.

I wonder how much of this is coming from his heart of hearts and how much he cares about Merriman's effect on America's youth when it comes to steroid use and how much of this is just a campaign for his own Defensive Player of the Year award.

dougdirt
12-27-2006, 06:21 PM
It is probably a little of both. There is little question in my mind that Merriman shouldnt get any votes, considering he only played in 75% of the games, and they seemed to do just fine without him.

Yachtzee
12-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Whatever his motives, Taylor's sentiment is correct. It sends the wrong message to allow a guy suspended for steriods to be considered for such awards. I think it was a joke for the Baseball Writers to consider Jason Giambi for the Comeback Player of the Year Award after it had become known that he used steroids. It sends a mixed message that undermines the drug policies of major professional sports.

RedFanAlways1966
12-28-2006, 08:51 AM
Whatever his motives, Taylor's sentiment is correct. It sends the wrong message to allow a guy suspended for steriods to be considered for such awards. I think it was a joke for the Baseball Writers to consider Jason Giambi for the Comeback Player of the Year Award after it had become known that he used steroids. It sends a mixed message that undermines the drug policies of major professional sports.

Exactly! No Defensive Player of the Year and no Pro Bowl s/b the rule. Play clean and you are eligible for all awards.

Handofdeath
12-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Jason Taylor, who has been busted at least twice for cheating on his smoking-hot wife, has no business being a moral authority on anything.

blumj
12-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Jason Taylor, who has been busted at least twice for cheating on his smoking-hot wife, has no business being a moral authority on anything.
Morality has nothing to do with it. Adultery doesn't effect performance. A player gets caught using PERFORMANCE enhancing drugs, then gets an award for his PERFORMANCE, did the drugs, you know, enhance his PERFORMANCE at all? Maybe they should just give the award to the pharmaceutical co. that manufactured the drug he got caught taking.

RedsManRick
12-29-2006, 03:37 PM
I don't think Jason Taylor is going to be putting himself up for husband of the year. Merriman wants to be rewarded for the very thing he was caught cheating doing.

Handofdeath
12-29-2006, 03:39 PM
Morality has nothing to do with it. Adultery doesn't effect performance. A player gets caught using PERFORMANCE enhancing drugs, then gets an award for his PERFORMANCE, did the drugs, you know, enhance his PERFORMANCE at all? Maybe they should just give the award to the pharmaceutical co. that manufactured the drug he got caught taking.

I totally agree with what's being said and I don't think Merriman should be given any awards or recognition. I just think that Jason Taylor is the wrong person to be pontificating on what's right and wrong for several reasons.