PDA

View Full Version : How about Freel for Mattymo?

Spitball
12-28-2006, 01:53 PM
I mean Matt Morris. With Zito's signing, the Giants might be willing to trim some payroll and unload Morris. Freel would benefit the Giants with his ability to play several positions and provide defensive relief for Bonds in left.

Morris is not the pitcher he once was, but he'd slide nicely into the number three slot and give 200 plus innings. Also, I believe he has two years left on a bargain, by today's market, contract.

Falls City Beer
12-28-2006, 02:00 PM
I mean Matt Morris. With Zito's signing, the Giants might be willing to trim some payroll and unload Morris. Freel would benefit the Giants with his ability to play several positions and provide defensive relief for Bonds in left.

Morris is not the pitcher he once was, but he'd slide nicely into the number three slot and give 200 plus innings. Also, I believe he has two years left on a bargain, by today's market, contract.

Matt Morris would surrender 45 homers in GAB. No thanks.

paintmered
12-28-2006, 02:04 PM

Hmm....it will take some work but we can spin this....

Okay, how about this? His scheduled start dates will be marketed as "Kahn's Outfield Souvenir Day" at GABP. :help:

Phhhl
12-28-2006, 02:06 PM

Freel is too young to play for the Giants.

mth123
12-28-2006, 02:25 PM

I agree. Correia or Sanchez would be a better target IMO. The Giants pitching depth does suggest they would be a team to try and deal with.

Not Sure Freel is a good fit in SF for the same reason he isn't the best fit here. They need a power bat to back-up the old, frail and frequently in need of rest OFer.

I'm guessing Klesko is their man. Between he, Sweeney and Richie they can back-up just about any spot. Richie has the IF covered and Klesko or Sweeney cover the OF with either Winn or Roberts in CF no matter who else plays.

I'm thinking Majewski for Correia as a basis for a deal. They get a guy willing to play the role Correa is tabbed for and the Reds get a young starter.

Falls City Beer
12-28-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm thinking Majewski for Correia as a basis for a deal. They get a guy willing to play the role Correa is tabbed for and the Reds get a young starter.

I doubt the Giants would even consider Maj for anything; he's pretty much a negative value at this point.

flyer85
12-28-2006, 02:47 PM
I doubt the Giants would even consider Maj for anything; he's pretty much a negative value at this point.Majik is going to have to prove he is healthy. His only discernable skill to this point is an ability to keep the ball in the park. I think the Reds will have to give him a season to get back to full health and limit his appearances and innings. He was seriously overworked in his year and a half in Washington and everyone but the Reds FO seemed to know it.

Falls City Beer
12-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Majik is going to have to prove he is healthy. His only discernable skill to this point is an ability to keep the ball in the park. I think the Reds will have to give him a season to get back to full health and limit his appearances and innings. He was seriously overworked in his year and a half in Washington and everyone but the Reds FO seemed to know it.

lollipopcurve brought up a great point the other day when he said there has been no mention of Majik's health this offseason, which fits nicely into the Reds' "no-news-is-bad-news" syndrome. Plus, the fact that Krivsky is still pushing this "We're taking this the legal route" pose after all this time suggests to me that Maj might be done, like career-ending done.

So much for chasing a single attribute (ability to keep the ball in the park) in a pitcher instead of the whole package; mostly single attributes tend to be chimeras, dependent on a lot of other factors going right.

mth123
12-28-2006, 02:59 PM
I doubt the Giants would even consider Maj for anything; he's pretty much a negative value at this point.

Maj was ok in Washington (Flyer makes a good point about him being overworked though). I'm not sure the rest of baseball is as down on him as all of us bitter Reds fans are. But the Reds may need to kick in something. Remember, Correia wants to start and the Giants have no room and a hole in the pen without him.

What if the Reds offered to take on Benitez Salary as oart of the deal? Then flip Benitez and some $ to Fla for one of their young guys.

(Too much time off this week has me throwing out too many of these ideas but its something to talk about on a slow period in Baseball.)

Falls City Beer
12-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Maj was ok in Washington (Flyer makes a good point about him being overworked though). I'm not sure the rest of baseball is as down on him as all of us bitter Reds fans are. But the Reds may need to kick in something. Remember, Correia wants to start and the Giants have no room and a hole in the pen without him.

What if the Reds offered to take on Benitez Salary as oart of the deal? Then flip Benitez and some $ to Fla for one of their young guys.

(Too much time off this week has me throwing out too many of these ideas but its something to talk about on a slow period in Baseball.)

I don't know. Maj has a pretty serious arm issue, and I don't think that's just bitter Reds' fans talking.

mth123
12-28-2006, 03:08 PM
I don't know. Maj has a pretty serious arm issue, and I don't think that's just bitter Reds' fans talking.

So far as we know it was just inflammation. The basis of the grievance was that it was a "win now" move and the pre-existing injury was a factor even if temporary.

Majewski seemed healthy in September.

Falls City Beer
12-28-2006, 03:09 PM
So far as we know it was just inflammation. The basis of the grievance was that it was a "win now" move and the pre-existing injury was a factor even if temporary.

Majewski seemed healthy in September.

Inflammation in the shoulder is bad when you consider the workload it followed.

RedRoser
12-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Freel is too young to play for the Giants.

:laugh: Suddenly, you're starting to sound like Chip R. :help:

---RedRoser

Spitball
12-28-2006, 03:56 PM

Outside of 2004, Morris has never really been homer-prone. Last year, he gave up 22 homers and only 9 of those were on the road. In fact, I don't believe Morris has ever given up a homer at GAB. If he has, it was only one, but I can't find evidence of it.

Team Clark
12-28-2006, 04:00 PM

That would just be at the ALL Star break! :laugh:

RANDY IN INDY
12-28-2006, 05:28 PM
On the menu of pitching, Morris is one of the items that the Reds don't need to be ordering.

pedro
12-28-2006, 05:33 PM
His road ERA last year was 5.57.

Pass.