PDA

View Full Version : Who is RedsZone's #3 Prospect?

chicoruiz
12-28-2006, 06:15 PM
So far, two landslides:

1. Homer Bailey
2. Jay Bruce

Adding a few names to the list here.

Notes on a few players:

I've seen Chris Denorfia on a few prospect lists, but I'm not planning on including him here.

Norris Hopper, Miguel Perez and Bobby Livingston, on the other hand, have had such brief cups of coffee that I'm inclined to include them if that's OK. Good news for all you Miguel Perez fans...

I am unsure of the status of Brendan Harris. Is he currently Reds property?

dougdirt
12-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Few things
1. Its Janish, not Janisch
2. Put up the previous vote winners in the original post.

I voted Joey Votto. In my mind, he is the clear cut #3 prospect the Reds have.

Gallen5862
12-28-2006, 06:22 PM
I voted Joey Votto for number 3 prospect.

chicoruiz
12-28-2006, 06:25 PM
2. Put up the previous vote winners in the original post

1. Will fix in subsequent polls. Danger in doing this stuff from memory. Must remember to double-check.

2. Fixed.

RedsManRick
12-28-2006, 06:31 PM
I voted Votto. Not the highest ceiling, but guys who have proven themselves in AA aren't exactly common around here. The 24 steals at a 75% success rate are merely icing on the cake.

BTW, I love the thread series! You might want to post the criteria for naming a winner as well. First player to X votes with X% -- if not, runoff, etc.

Danny Serafini
12-28-2006, 06:38 PM
I am unsure of the status of Brendan Harris. Is he currently Reds property?

Harris is in DFA pergatory right now, it'll be a few days before that question can be answered.

mth123
12-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Votto IMO is the best bet of all the prospects.

1. Pitchers are iffy (but I voted Homer #1)
2. Its a long way from low A to the majors and the biggest jump is to AA.

I voted Votto 2 earlier and would have taken Bruce here, so I vote Votto.

Scrap Irony
12-28-2006, 07:13 PM
I voted Cueto. Votto is a solid prospect, but his ceiling is limited. An 850 OPS at 1B, while solid and certainly above Cincinnati's nominal standards, is, in the grand scheme of all things major league, ho hum.

Cueto's ceiling is much, much higher. His fastball is electric and his secondary pitches are above average. 20 years old, he's put up a 15-3 season, with an ERA of 3.00 and more K's than IP. Too, he averaged only one baserunner per inning and held opponents to a .202 BA.

Sure, he has a couple concerns. He's small-framed and this is his first really good season, but those numbers scream for comparisons to Oswalt and Martinez (not that he's in their league yet), other small-framed pitchers who know a couple things around the mound.

NDRed
12-28-2006, 07:14 PM
I voted Votto for the number 2 prospect but i guess he can be number 3.

Will M
12-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Bailey, Bruce & Votto are the top 3 no matter how you rank them.

After that it gets more interesting. It seems we have some good other prospects but they are a long way from the big leagues.

paintmered
12-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Few things

Fixed. :)

jmcclain19
12-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Votto is my No. 2...but as is...I'll vote him No. 3 because after him, there is a whole lot of empty space in the Reds system.

Falls City Beer
12-28-2006, 09:05 PM
.I'll vote him No. 3 because after him, there is a whole lot of empty space in the Reds system.

And that's being nice.

dougdirt
12-28-2006, 09:20 PM
I voted Cueto. Votto is a solid prospect, but his ceiling is limited. An 850 OPS at 1B, while solid and certainly above Cincinnati's nominal standards, is, in the grand scheme of all things major league, ho hum.

Cueto's ceiling is much, much higher. His fastball is electric and his secondary pitches are above average. 20 years old, he's put up a 15-3 season, with an ERA of 3.00 and more K's than IP. Too, he averaged only one baserunner per inning and held opponents to a .202 BA.

Sure, he has a couple concerns. He's small-framed and this is his first really good season, but those numbers scream for comparisons to Oswalt and Martinez (not that he's in their league yet), other small-framed pitchers who know a couple things around the mound.

What makes you think Votto will put up an .850 OPS? His OPS in AA was .957, and was 80 points higher than the next closest guy in his entire league. Not that I am argueing Cueto being a lesser prospect, but what gives the impression that Votto has a limited cieling of n .850 OPS?

reds44
12-28-2006, 09:26 PM
I voted Cueto. Dude has some sick stuff. I could argue he has a better all round arsenal of pitches then Homer. Votto is going to win the poll, but I would take Cueto over him.

OnBaseMachine
12-28-2006, 11:00 PM
I voted Cueto. Dude has some sick stuff. I could argue he has a better all round arsenal of pitches then Homer. Votto is going to win the poll, but I would take Cueto over him.

Agreed. I am a huge fan of Joey Votto, but overall I like Cueto a little more. Cueto is my choice as the Reds #3 prospect.

Scrap Irony
12-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Questions about a slow bat, at this point. I don't think it's as slow as some experts, but I think last year was a high water mark in Votto's career. He feasted on some poor AA pitching, that's all.

If he does the same this season in AAA, I'll revisit my choice. But, for now, Cueto and his stuff (and ceiling) trump Votto's great AA season.

Cyclone792
12-28-2006, 11:06 PM
1) Bailey
2) Bruce
3) Votto

So far, I've been riding with the masses, but that probably changes with #4.

Superdude
12-29-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm surprised to see Cueto so far behind, but I had to go with Votto. Cueto undoubtedly has the higher cieling in my opinion, but with his size and age, there's still room for things to go wrong. Votto may never be a star, but after beasting AA at 22, he's a pretty reasonable bet to be a solid offensive force in the near future. Cueto has an okay shot at taking over the #4 spot though.

dougdirt
12-29-2006, 12:39 AM
Questions about a slow bat, at this point. I don't think it's as slow as some experts, but I think last year was a high water mark in Votto's career. He feasted on some poor AA pitching, that's all.

If he does the same this season in AAA, I'll revisit my choice. But, for now, Cueto and his stuff (and ceiling) trump Votto's great AA season.

Just wanting to make a point here, but if the pitching were so poor in AA, wouldnt several guys destroyed the league, when the second place OPS was .875 (Jerry Gil, also Reds property but played in the Dbacks organization unti offseason) but Joey posted a .957? An 82 point difference from first to second in the league in OPS is very significant, and if it were just poor pitching, several guys would have run rampant on the league, not just 1 guy...at least in my opinion.

Scrap Irony
12-29-2006, 12:59 AM
I'm not saying Votto isn't a decent prospect. He's probably the best 1B prospect coming up from AA. But that's not saying much. Gil, to use your example, OPS'ed 875. Cool. Is he a top prospect?

What is there in AA to be excited over offensively?

dougdirt
12-29-2006, 01:03 AM
Gil hit 26 home runs last season in AA....but he cant draw a walk to save his life. He played CF last season, his first ever there. He used to be a SS, but in the Dbacks system, it is quite loaded at SS so they decided to move him. If Gil could learn to have some patience, he would be considered a decent prospect, for now though he is probably 20-30 in the Reds system because his OBP comes almost entirely from his batting average.

As for guys at AA last year to be actually excited about for the Reds, it consists of Joey Votto.

DoogMinAmo
12-29-2006, 03:24 AM
Someone voted for Hamilton. Really? I am very curious to hear why.

I voted Votto. I have a feeling it will then be Cueto and then Wood, then it gets really interesting.

chicoruiz
12-29-2006, 08:07 AM
I cast the vote for Hamilton, just for fun. I don't really think he's a better prospect than Votto, but I just wanted to get people thinking about him for a few choices from now because:

a. He's as close to the majors as anyone who's going to be on the list. A good spring basically gets him a job.

b. He seems to be highly motivated to get his act together.

c. At one point he had much more raw talent than anyone left on the list. How much of that you think he has left determines where he ends up on this list.

lollipopcurve
12-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Votto, and I was tempted to put him at #2. I like the sure thing here, and Votto's close to the majors.

WMR
12-29-2006, 12:02 PM
Votto for me. You guys should consider making the voting public. Not like it's any big deal who everyone chooses and it's always fun to see for those who don't post along with their vote. Just a thought.

TOBTTReds
12-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Just wanting to make a point here, but if the pitching were so poor in AA, wouldnt several guys destroyed the league, when the second place OPS was .875 (Jerry Gil, also Reds property but played in the Dbacks organization unti offseason) but Joey posted a .957? An 82 point difference from first to second in the league in OPS is very significant, and if it were just poor pitching, several guys would have run rampant on the league, not just 1 guy...at least in my opinion.

This should be your signature. It is the best point to be made, that is CLEARLY backed up by solid numbers. I don't know how anyone can argue this point.

Votto is a future Adam Dunn to this board. Not everyone will like him bc of his K's and patience, even though he will be very productive. One major difference is how serious he takes the job. To him, this isn't a game or something he just does, it is a job. Kind of like how Homer explained it one time. There was a running bet with the Dragons once about what would happen first, a Miguel Perez HR, or Votto smile while on the field. Not saying he is a jerk at all, bc he is actually very nice in the encounters I've had with him. Just wants to be the best player he can be, and I LOVE that about him.

dougdirt
12-29-2006, 01:38 PM
This should be your signature. It is the best point to be made, that is CLEARLY backed up by solid numbers. I don't know how anyone can argue this point.

Votto is a future Adam Dunn to this board. Not everyone will like him bc of his K's and patience, even though he will be very productive. One major difference is how serious he takes the job. To him, this isn't a game or something he just does, it is a job. Kind of like how Homer explained it one time. There was a running bet with the Dragons once about what would happen first, a Miguel Perez HR, or Votto smile while on the field. Not saying he is a jerk at all, bc he is actually very nice in the encounters I've had with him. Just wants to be the best player he can be, and I LOVE that about him.

I think the difference in Dunn and Votto, at least my opinion is that Votto takes it more seriously. Maybe its just becuase he is still in the minors, but he went and hired a personal trainer to help him last offseason, to help him get in better shape and to increase his speed. It showed bigtime last year.