PDA

View Full Version : The Domino Effect now that Zito has signed

Spitball
12-28-2006, 08:10 PM
What are we likely to see happen now? I'm guessing there will be a flurry of signings/moves now that Zito issue has been settled. I wonder if the Mets, Yankees, and Rangers will now start throwing portions of the money they saved on Zito out into the market to scoop off the top layers of what is left. I believe Clemens will now likely sign with the Yankees, Ohka will go to the Mets, and thw Rangers will sign Weaver.

Any thoughts?

mth123
12-28-2006, 08:25 PM
What are we likely to see happen now? I'm guessing there will be a flurry of signings/moves now that Zito issue has been settled. I wonder if the Mets, Yankees, and Rangers will now start throwing portions of the money they saved on Zito out into the market to scoop off the top layers of what is left. I believe Clemens will now likely sign with the Yankees, Ohka will go to the Mets, and thw Rangers will sign Weaver.

Any thoughts?

Actually, Clemens to the Yankees is probably right on now. Especially if Johnson is traded.

Tim Hudson might be stepping to the front now. Not sure what Ohka is going to do but the Mets and Shea would be a good spot for his fly ball ways.

Weaver should stay in St. Louis. Guy came back from the dead, why tempt fate again? I think he'd be awful in Texas but I haven't heard much about his plans.

We're getting down to the Trachsel, Chen, Piniero, Russ and Ramon Ortiz, Ryan Franklin and Jason Johnson portion of the FA list. If those guys sign guarantees for more than $5 Million per year (I think its possible), then we'll know for sure that the world has gone mad. (Like we don't already.)

Falls City Beer
12-28-2006, 08:27 PM
I actually don't think the Zito move is a bellwether move at all. I don't think activity is going to pick up anymore than it might otherwise do.

Spitball
12-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Weaver should stay in St. Louis. Guy came back from the dead, why tempt fate again? I think he'd be awful in Texas but I haven't heard much about his plans.

You would think Weaver would recognize those realities, but I believe he will go for the best money.

We're getting down to the Trachsel, Chen, Piniero, Russ and Ramon Ortiz, Ryan Franklin and Jason Johnson portion of the FA list. If those guys sign guarantees for more than $5 Million per year (I think its possible), then we'll know for sure that the world has gone mad. (Like we don't already.)

This year, the free agent market just wasn't the place to really help the rotation.

edabbs44
12-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Actually, Clemens to the Yankees is probably right on now. Especially if Johnson is traded.

Tim Hudson might be stepping to the front now. Not sure what Ohka is going to do but the Mets and Shea would be a good spot for his fly ball ways.

I'll take Piniero. He's the only guy with any sort of upside.

Don't forget...Cincy has a rotation slot open. I wonder if WK knows that.

jojo
12-28-2006, 10:38 PM
I actually don't think the Zito move is a bellwether move at all. I don't think activity is going to pick up anymore than it might otherwise do.

Ya, Zito signing is kind of strange. There doesn't appear to have been a formal offer within $30M of what SF committed to Zito....

Newman4
01-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Ya, Zito signing is kind of strange. There doesn't appear to have been a formal offer within $30M of what SF committed to Zito....

Not so strange in SF I guess,almost par for the course, considering they did this too:

Barry Bonds of
1 year/$16M (2007), plus incentives

Isn't smoking marijuana legal there or something? :rolleyes:

tts1stros
01-01-2007, 02:44 PM

Scott Boras may be Satan, but he is very, very good at what he does.