PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Worst Trades of '06

Joseph
12-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Source Protrade.com [the 'stock' trading website that combine fantasy and reality...or something]

Looks like Wayne was on both the giving and recieving end of things as far as the worst trades go for '06.

No real surprises other than 'The Trade' not being number 1.

1. Boston Red Sox and Cleveland Indians

Jan. 27: RHP Guillermo Mota, 3B Andy Marte, C Kelly Shoppach, cash considerations, and a player to be named or further cash considerations to Cleveland for OF Coco Crisp, RHP David Riske and C Josh Bard

Picked up to fill the Johnny Damon void in the BoSox outfield, trade centerpiece Crisp proved a major 2006 disappointment. Suffering a fractured finger in April that cost him 1/4 of the season, the once-fleet fielder and dependable bat proved neither at Fenway. Crisp went from being one of the best outfielders in baseball (+17.54 Moneyball Runs/Fielding in '05) to one of the worst (-18.80 in '06) and hit just .264/8/36 in 105 games, down from .300/16/69 in 145 a season earlier.

Bard had the best campaign of his career in '06, albeit in San Diego, where he hit .338/9/40 in 93 games and emerged as the improbable Padres' starter. Boston sent him westward on May 1 in exchange for knuckleball C Doug Mirabelli. And Riske proved a reliable middle reliever (3.93/34 IN/15 ER)-- but for Chicago, which picked him up for a minor leaguer in June.

Marte will start at third for Cleveland in 2007 and Shoppach will back-up starting C Victor Martinez. The Indians traded Mota to the Mets in August, where he was 3-0 with a 1.00 ERA in 18 games; all told, the flamethrower posted a 2.42 ERA after the All-Star break.

2. Cincinnati Reds and Washington Nationals

July 13: SS Felipe Lopez, OF Austin Kearns, and RHP Ryan Wagner to Washington for RHP Gary Majewski, LHP Bill Bray, SS Royce Clayton, INF Brendan Harris and RHP Daryl Thompson.

In contention for not just the NL Wild Card but the NL Central title, the Reds made this desperate mid-season deal to bolster its flailing bullpen. It failed.

Bray proved respectable (4.23/13 ER/27.2 IN post All-Star break), but Majewski wallowed through July (8.03/21 H/12.1 IN) and would complete just nine more innings the rest of the season. Clayton-- age 37-- hit .235 post-break and won't be with the Reds in 2007; Harris and Thompson are minor-leaguers.

Meanwhile, the 26 year-old Lopez immediately became the Nats starting SS; he'll start at 2B in 2007, a budding talent whose value on the basepaths (career-high 44 steals in '06) is just emerging. The 26 year-old Kearns had a career-year in 2006 (.264/24/86) and will start in right field for Washington next season. And Wagner--- in AAA for the Reds-- proved a capable middle-reliever for the Nats as the season progressed-- in August he struck out 11 in 14.2 innings, finishing the month with a 3.07 ERA.

3. Oakland A's and Chicago Cubs

Traded IF/OF Freddie Bynum and LHP John Rheinecker to Texas for RHP Juan Dominguez

After going 5-10 with a 5.85 ERA with only 48 strikeouts vs. 39 walks in 87 2/3 innings last season, Dominguez was released Dec. 7.

Rheinecker went 4-3 with a 3.96 ERA pre-All Star break for Texas before collapsing and earning a trip back to the minors-- nothing to brag. But there's still hope for the lefty, who will work his way back to respectability as a middle reliever in 2007. Bynum was traded to the Cubs and more recently to Baltimore, where he'll compete for playing time behind starting 2B Brian Roberts in Spring Training.

4. Boston Red Sox and Cincinnati Reds

Mar. 20: Traded RHP Bronson Arroyo and cash to the Reds for OF Wily Mo Pena.

Boston looked set on the mound-- with starters Josh Beckett, Matt Clement, Curt Schilling, Tim Wakefield, David Wells and hot prospect Jon Lester in tow. So at the time, parting with Arroyo for a much-needed utility outfielder seemed prudent.

The Red Sox didn't figure Arroyo would lead the NL in innings pitched for 2006 while posting his best season ever-- 14-11, a 3.29 ERA and 184 strikeouts. He was the Reds' ace-- and might have been Boston's, as well, with Beckett (5.01 ERA), Wells (4.98 ERA) and Wakefield (7-11) underachieving, Clement (6.01 ERA) injured and Lester diagnosed with cancer.

As for Pena-- he had a decent year that proved hardly worth it. With Arroyo, the Bosox might not have been desperate to spend so in the Daisuke Matsuzaka derby.

5. Seattle Mariners and Chicago White Sox

Mar. 20: Traded LHP Matt Thornton to the White Sox for OF Joe Borchard.

The 6'6 hard-throwing lefty Thornton made himself expendable, despite his coveted physical traits, pitching to a 5.21 ERA, walking 42 batters and surrendering 13 jacks in 57 innings during 2005.

Figures for Seattle that he'd have a career 2006 in Chicago, sporting 3.33 mark while walking just 21 and allowing five homers over 54 innings of spot relief. His effectiveness came at just the right time for the Sox, who saw '05 stars Neil Cotts and Cliff Politte lose their mojo.

Seattle waived Borchard on May 3 and he was picked up by the Marlins, where he'd end the season hitting .239 with 10 homers in 114 games.

flyer85
12-28-2006, 08:47 PM
shocked it was only 2nd

Redhook
12-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Interesting read.

Two things of note:

1) Having 'The Trade' listed as #2 on this list is almost as shocking as 'The Trade'

2) As good as Arroyo is, I would give up that trade if 'The Trade' also never happened

redsfanmia
12-28-2006, 08:52 PM
"The Trade" happened, it is what it is, let it go for crying tears.:deadhorse

flyer85
12-28-2006, 08:56 PM
"The Trade" happened, it is what it is, let it go for crying tears.:deadhorsewhere's the fun in that :D

Degenerate39
12-28-2006, 09:02 PM
shocked it was only 2nd

I was thinking we might actually finish first in this.

larks
12-28-2006, 09:05 PM
4. Boston Red Sox and Cincinnati Reds

Mar. 20: Traded RHP Bronson Arroyo and cash to the Reds for OF Wily Mo Pena.

Boston looked set on the mound-- with starters Josh Beckett, Matt Clement, Curt Schilling, Tim Wakefield, David Wells and hot prospect Jon Lester in tow. So at the time, parting with Arroyo for a much-needed utility outfielder seemed prudent.

The Red Sox didn't figure Arroyo would lead the NL in innings pitched for 2006 while posting his best season ever-- 14-11, a 3.29 ERA and 184 strikeouts. He was the Reds' ace-- and might have been Boston's, as well, with Beckett (5.01 ERA), Wells (4.98 ERA) and Wakefield (7-11) underachieving, Clement (6.01 ERA) injured and Lester diagnosed with cancer.

As for Pena-- he had a decent year that proved hardly worth it. With Arroyo, the Bosox might not have been desperate to spend so in the Daisuke Matsuzaka derby.

Im kinda tired of seeing this title put on Arroyo. Im starting to wonder if anyone outside of Cincy even has a clue who Aaron Harang is. Harang was FIRST in the NL in strikeouts, top ten in era and threw two shutouts as well for goodness. Yet no votes in the Cy Young voting and constantly ignored on a national spotlight. You know even in Cincy I wonder how much Harang is appreciated. You dont see too many Harang jerseys at GABP do you? Harang is without question the ace of the Reds staff. Maybe thats a good thing cause he can continue to fly under the radar but it would be nice once in a while to see him get some respect.

Joseph
12-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Im kinda tired of seeing this title put on Arroyo. Im starting to wonder if anyone outside of Cincy even has a clue who Aaron Harang is. Harang was FIRST in the NL in strikeouts, top ten in era and threw two shutouts as well for goodness. Yet no votes in the Cy Young voting and constantly ignored on a national spotlight. You know even in Cincy I wonder how much Harang is appreciated. You dont see too many Harang jerseys at GABP do you? Harang is without question the ace of the Reds staff. Maybe thats a good thing cause he can continue to fly under the radar but it would be nice once in a while to see him get some respect.

Good points.

I think the difference is entirely in personality. Aaron is well...Frankenstein. Bronson is Mr Rock Star. Thats what sells jerseys more than numbers. Everyone bought Casey jerseys because he was a nice guy with a 1,000 watt smile and had some success. Everyone buys Dunn jerseys because he hits 450 home runs and looks like a big kid. Harang doesn't do those sort of things, he just does his job without fanfare.

RedFanAlways1966
12-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Im kinda tired of seeing this title put on Arroyo. Im starting to wonder if anyone outside of Cincy even has a clue who Aaron Harang is.

I agree with a lot of what you say, larks, but overall Arroyo was the top REDS starter on the staff in 2006 IMO. Of course b/c Bronson came from Boston he will get more national attention (ESPN... need I say more?). Aaron Harang had a good year and I cannot complain. But not as good as Arroyo in overall pitching stats (both started 35 games)...

ERA: Arroyo = 3.29 ; Harang = 3.78
QS: Arroyo = 23 ; Harang = 17
WHIP: Arroyo = 1.19 ; Harang = 1.27
IP/GS: Arroyo = 6.88 ; Harang = 6.67
H/IP: Arroyo = 0.92 ; Harang = 1.03

Harang also got better run support than Arroyo during the year (4.83 R/G vs. 4.51 R/G). Speaking of run support, check out this interesting tidbit:

* Arroyo's 11 losses: the REDS scored a total of 22 runs in those 11 games.
> REDS got shutout 2 times and scored only 1 run 3 times.
* Harang's 11 losses: the REDS scored a total of 21 runs in those 11 games.
> REDS got shutout 3 times and scored only 1 run 3 times.

They both usually got the screw when getting a loss! :thumbdown

reds44
12-28-2006, 09:39 PM
FeLo had 44 steals last year???????? I did not know that. Make it that much worse. Hey look, JimBo figured out that Felipe is a 2nd baseman.

Kearns is never going to be anything more then an average outfielder who strikes out too much.

All things considered, "THE TRADE" and the Arroyo trade probably offset themselves.

dougdirt
12-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Was Felo really that good? He put up a .739 OPS last season and he cant field to save his life. Yeah, he was young and showed a little promise at times, but I dont see him as a big loss. Kearns on the other hand, is someone I would love to have back.... but its been a while and people still talk about it like we traded away Frank Robinson or something....

Dracodave
12-28-2006, 10:08 PM
I have no doubt FeLo might be a decent secondbaseman, and if his mind gets off the defensive aspect and onto the bat again. He might be an all-star secondbaseman. However, that remains to be seen.

Kearns..will break a nail and sit out thirty games. J.D Drew Jr.

M2
12-28-2006, 11:14 PM
FeLo is 26 and he's got OB skills, emerging speed and power that will probably resurface in 2007.

SS? 2B? 3B? CF? LF? RF? Whatever his optimal position is, he's an asset, a guy most teams would love at the top of the lineup.

There's sort of a weird argumentative stance that's emerged around FeLo and Kearns. No, they're not going to the Hall of Fame, yet that doesn't mean they were awful and needed to be discarded. Both guys are useful baseball players who could find a starting job on most teams. We saw the impact of losing two guys like that during the second half of the season. It played out right in front of our eyes. Lineup got thin, a few key guys slumped and the results were ugly. The Reds needed to get better than they did for players like Lopez and Kearns.

On a separate note, what the heck is that A's-Rangers trade doing in the mix? Is the writer related to John Rheinecker or something? If a Rangers trade is going on a list like that then the deal that brought Chris Young and Adrian Gonzalez to the Padres should be in there, possibly at #1.

Patpacillosjock
12-28-2006, 11:26 PM
i guess I'm the only Reds fan that thought BOTH Kearns and Lopez were good players. I think Kearns can end up being a .290 25 HR 85+RBI guy every year. And in case you forgot, Lopez WAS an All star one year.

I still like both players a lot and wish them nothing but the best. I will never bad mouth either of them. Why is it that everyone else in baseball but some of you KNOW that we Bray/Majewski will never be on the same level as Lopez/Kearns.

blumj
12-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Does anyone else wonder what's wrong with Riske? He pitches pretty well, but no one wants to keep him. He has to be either a really big jerk or one of those guys who refuses to pitch when he gets a hangnail or something. Has anyone signed him yet?

UGADaddy
12-29-2006, 12:17 AM
"The Trade" happened, it is what it is, let it go for crying tears.

Agreed. But for the record, I liked the trade. It was an agressive mid-season move that the Reds have been lacking in the past decade or so. Kearns was never the same after the collision with Ray King and he never will be. FeLo was a defensive liability on a team that had plenty and needed a shortstop to step up and lead the defense. And quit the All-Star talk. He had a decent first half that season, but the real reason he made the team was because they needed a Red and he was the best option.

Superdude
12-29-2006, 12:27 AM
FeLo is 26 and he's got OB skills, emerging speed and power that will probably resurface in 2007.

I would be surprised. Lopez seemed like a product of GABP. From what I've seen, he's a nice power threat when he can yank balls over a short right field fence, but his power doesn't extend much beyond that. You've gotta scorch one pretty good to get it out of RFK. I bet he'll hit around 10-15 again next year.

M2
12-29-2006, 12:57 AM
I would be surprised. Lopez seemed like a product of GABP. From what I've seen, he's a nice power threat when he can yank balls over a short right field fence, but his power doesn't extend much beyond that. You've gotta scorch one pretty good to get it out of RFK. I bet he'll hit around 10-15 again next year.

You might be right on the HR count. Though he might hit 40 doubles to go with it in a bigger park. So that's something like an .800 OPS with 275 total bases and 40+ thefts from your 2B. Nothing wrong with that. I'd be ecstatic if Brandon Phillips can deliver something like it.

Though regardless of what he does from here on out, the impact on the Reds remains the same. Lopez and Kearns were not able to bring in the kind of talent that Pena did. If they had fetched a quality major league return the NL Central would be the Reds' for the taking. What the team didn't get for those two still needs to be found.

I think the reason why it keeps coming up in discussion is that the team still hasn't corrected the mistake. The offense still looks underwhelming and the pitching hasn't gotten any better. We don't even know if the club is going to address its biggest defensive issue, CF. Until the team moves on, until the Reds do something more than the current backfill approach, then the Kearns/Lopez deal will loom large. It's how we got here.

RedsManRick
12-29-2006, 01:08 AM
Lopez reminds me of Brian Roberts. Assuming he can handle 2B better than SS, he's got a pretty well rounded game. He may not be great at any one thing, but he'll have the upside of all-star season or three and mostly just be a solid all around guy. I would really like to see our offense with him at 2B, Phillips at SS, and Kearns in the OF. To think that we could have that and only be missing two middle relievers makes me sad... We took a strength, turned it in to a weakness and didn't really fix anything. Who knows though, maybe "the trade" will be remembered as the deal where we stole HOF Daryl Thompson for our unsuspecting ex-GM.

Tigs
12-29-2006, 02:31 PM
FeLo was a terrible defensive player and AK struck out too much ... those are the type of players that Kriv was/is trying to get rid of to reshape the Reds into a defensively strong team with low K's. I see why he would make "The Trade", even if it is not the same route I would've taken I'm not going to argue that he accomplished his goal. He got two potentially solid bullpen arms for getting rid of people he wanted to get rid of. Majeski was solid in Washington and we got screwed with him being hurt. Bray IMO give him a few years and he could be BJ Ryan, but even if that doesnt happen, thats a risk that I think Krivsky is willing take. In conclusion, all I am trying to say is that I think that Krivsky was more concerned about getting rid of Lopez and Kearns, the types of players that he doesnt want the Cincinnati Reds to be about. He wants a strong team on defense a low K rate on offense, and he started his reshaping by making this trade.

P.S. if he doesnt make this trade look at our bullpen
Todd Coffey
David Weathers
Mike Stanton
Matt Belisle
Rheal Cormier
Brian Shackleford
Jared Burton
B. Salmon

at least Bray and Majeski bring some youth to this pen :rolleyes:

KoryMac5
12-29-2006, 02:48 PM
The only thing besides a beer chaser that would make this trade a bit better to swallow would be the development of Thompson. Here is some new info on him from another site.

Player Report

It is far too soon to tell if Thompson will be a major league pitcher, but he’s worth watching closely to see how he recovers from his shoulder injury. Thompson’s 4-9, 5.08 ERA season in 2004 wasn’t as bad as it look on the surface; his K/BB was fine for an 18-year-old and he just gave up too many hits. On the other hand, his 3.35 ERA in 2005 wasn’t as good as it seems; his walk rate is heading in the wrong direction. This is an important year for Thompson; he could be at the top or bottom of everyone’s prospect list by September.

TRF
12-29-2006, 03:30 PM
P.S. if he doesnt make this trade look at our bullpen
Todd Coffey
David Weathers
Mike Stanton
Matt Belisle
Rheal Cormier
Brian Shackleford
Jared Burton
B. Salmon

at least Bray and Majeski bring some youth to this pen :rolleyes:

Being young and sucking isn't an asset.

Redmachine2003
12-30-2006, 11:05 AM
To me the the biggest problem was that they packaged Lopez and Kearns together. I would had thought that one would have netted Bray and Majeski. The other would have netted more if they were traded some place else. The way I see it Wayne doesn't seem to beat the phones to try to improve the team. He sits back and just lets things happen. Just look at the trades he has made, two things happened the player he traded for had to be trade (DFA) or the other team contacted him and things came together quick after that. I think this is the reason why you don't hear anything. If he was out there shopping hard for what he wants or trying to move players other GMs or scouts would be leaking the information out.

BEETTLEBUG
12-30-2006, 12:03 PM
The Trade Is Old Now We Can't Do Anything To Split It It Is Done So We Might As Well Just Let It Die.

paintmered
12-30-2006, 01:51 PM
The Trade Is Old Now We Can't Do Anything To Split It It Is Done So We Might As Well Just Let It Die.

Yes. This horse has long been dead. It's past being beat into a pulp. We're probably even past the glue factory stage at this point.

Newman4
12-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Poor Wayne. No matter what he does from this point on people will always say..."well, yeah, but what about when he traded Kearns and Lopez...."

http://www.novelty-t-shirts.net/tshirts/screwed.gif

camisadelgolf
12-30-2006, 09:07 PM
I Agree With BEETTLEBUG.

RedEye
12-31-2006, 12:38 AM
There's sort of a weird argumentative stance that's emerged around FeLo and Kearns. No, they're not going to the Hall of Fame, yet that doesn't mean they were awful and needed to be discarded. Both guys are useful baseball players who could find a starting job on most teams. We saw the impact of losing two guys like that during the second half of the season. It played out right in front of our eyes. Lineup got thin, a few key guys slumped and the results were ugly. The Reds needed to get better than they did for players like Lopez and Kearns.

I absolutely agree with this. I wish this were just the consensus on these boards. The only valid point on the supposed other side of the argument, IMO, is "let's just move on and stop discussing it."

There's almost no way to defend The Trade in any reasonable way. It didn't work, even based on the flimsy logic that K conceived it (immediate relief help). Case closed.

M2
12-31-2006, 12:56 AM
The only valid point on the supposed other side of the argument, IMO, is "let's just move on and stop discussing it."

I'm sympathetic to that plea as well, but it's impossible to move on until the team does. Until the loss of Lopez and Kearns is covered and until the pitchers they didn't fetch are found, then all roads lead back to that deal.
Discussing the trade is inevitable if you're trying to assess the current talent level of the club or if you're trying to figure what sorts of moves need to made to improve the club's standing.

lo ryder
01-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Give what is due and bump the Reds up where they belong.

camisadelgolf
01-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Even if it were a trade that improved the 25- or 40-man roster, I still think it was a bad trade because I believe Kearns and Lopez could have fetched so much more (especially in separate deals). Lopez was an All-Star less than a year before, and it finally seemed as if Kearns put it all together and was breaking out. Also, both players were only 26 years old at the time.

Johnny Footstool
01-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Yes. This horse has long been dead. It's past being beat into a pulp. We're probably even past the glue factory stage at this point.

True, but the rotting, festering pile of tenderized horse meat is still sitting in the middle of the room, and it's hard to ignore.

camisadelgolf
01-05-2007, 10:10 AM
In that case, I guess you could say Wayne Krivsky is a necromaniac. However, that doesn't necessarily mean you can't find anything good in a carcass--it just means you have to go through a lot more waste to find what you're looking for.