PDA

View Full Version : Paul Wilson

MartyFan
12-29-2006, 12:17 AM
I didn't see this anywhere on the boards but thought I would share it.

Two veteran starting pitchers--Paul Wilson and Pedro Astacio--could be invited to spring training. The Astros are discussing a contract with Wilson and examining Astacio's medical records.

Wilson, 33, missed the entire 2006 season after undergoing shoulder surgery. His last effective season was 2004 when he went 11-6 for the Reds. He's said to be healthy again. Astacio, 37, has won 129 games in 15 big league seasons. He was 5-5 with a 5.98 for Washington last season.

That according to Richard Justice, http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2006/12/as_spring_train.html

MartyFan
12-29-2006, 12:20 AM
Mods, go ahead and close this puppy down as I just saw the topic over on the other board.

UGADaddy
12-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Healthy? I'll believe it when I see it...

Z-Fly
12-29-2006, 08:07 AM
I can't post on the other boards, so I'll say my piece here. I think Paul did good for us when he was healthy. I don't think it's a bad idea to invite him to spring training. Nothing to lose.

But I think you guys know my stance on him.

Chip R
12-29-2006, 12:40 PM
I can't post on the other boards, so I'll say my piece here. I think Paul did good for us when he was healthy. I don't think it's a bad idea to invite him to spring training. Nothing to lose.

Normally, I'd agree that giving him a ST invite would be OK but the problem with that is that he is one of those guys who could concievably make the team because he's a good clubhouse guy and a hard worker and a good influence on the young pitchers (yes, I know they are few and far between) and not because he's any good.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Normally, I'd agree that giving him a ST invite would be OK but the problem with that is that he is one of those guys who could concievably make the team because he's a good clubhouse guy and a hard worker and a good influence on the young pitchers (yes, I know they are few and far between) and not because he's any good.

I think that he IS good, but no more than that, he would be a really good 4 or 5 man, keep us in games and maybe relieve some in the early season

gm
12-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Healthy? I'll believe it when I see it...

Watch out...Paulie could make it all the way back and pitch a quality start against the Reds

Z-Fly
12-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Watch out...Paulie could make it all the way back and pitch a quality start against the Reds

I honestly have little doubt of that happening. Due to my string of luck....