PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I just got for Christmas?

Reds1
12-29-2006, 12:31 AM
Reds 75 WS Box Set! Woo Hoo. We just got together at moms and I was shocked as I know this set is quite costly. Has anyone seen it?

Jpup
12-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Reds 75 WS Box Set! Woo Hoo. We just got together at moms and I was shocked as I know this set is quite costly. Has anyone seen it?

I asked for it, but didn't get it. I plan to pick it up in the next few days. Let me know how you like it.

BCubb2003
12-29-2006, 01:15 AM
My sister got that for me too.

Reds1
12-29-2006, 10:21 AM
I was 4 at the time so it's safe to say I don't remember this. I don't think I've seen any of the games - just the highlights. There's some pregame footage and interviews with the big Red stars so that will be cool.

TheBigLebowski
12-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Is there a 1990 WS Box set? I would love one of those. I wasn't alive for the Big Red Machine, so it might be nice to actually "live" those moments - the greatest moments in Reds' history. Perhaps I could pop those dvds in from time to time during the upcoming season to ease what will no doubt be a lot of painful nights.

Reds1
12-29-2006, 10:29 AM
I hadn't seen one. I was in college and that was a great series, but only 4 dvds in that one. :) SWEEP baby!
Anyone let me know if they can't find the 75 DVD set.

westofyou
12-29-2006, 10:36 AM
I got it too, the White Balance on the games at Riverfront (the only one I've seen so far) is a bit washed out. However I'm psyched to watch them again after all these years.

deltachi8
12-29-2006, 11:02 AM
got it as well - thanks santa - watched game one thus far and am enjoying it. Memories of the old game of the week with Tony Kubek...

Cute side story...watching game 1 with my son (10), I am pointing out different players, Hall of famers, explaining Pete Rose, etc and Ken Griffey comes to bat...he remarks..."He's STILL playing??" Made me chuckle.

If they release sets from 76 and 90, I will be buying those as well.

PuffyPig
12-29-2006, 12:55 PM
I got it for my birthday in late November. My wife sent away for it from the States, as we live in Calgary.

gm
12-29-2006, 01:05 PM
I ordered it at Buy.com, using that $20 google discount. $31 with shipping, should arrive next week

(props to whoever posted that link, last month)

wheels
12-29-2006, 02:37 PM
I got it too, and I have a question...

At the end of game five in Cincinnati, the fans started a little chant around the seventh or eighth inning. It went something like "Blah...Blah...National League!"

I can't figure it out, and it's been driving me crazy for three days.

I also notice that the fans weren't standing with two outs like they do today, and have done since I was a kid.

When did that tradition start?

Johnny Bench's wife was extremely hot, too.

RedFanAlways1966
12-29-2006, 03:31 PM
My sister got that for me too.

My sister got it for me as well.

Reds1
12-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Can't wait to see Johnny's smokin hot wife (from Ricky Bobby). Seems they aren't still together, but I'm not sure.

wheels
12-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Can't wait to see Johnny's smokin hot wife (from Ricky Bobby). Seems they aren't still together, but I'm not sure.

In game five, she was wearing a tight red shirt with the words Johnny Bench emblazoned on the chest in sparkely lettering.

Timeless pulcheritude, I tell ya.

WMR
12-29-2006, 06:39 PM
I got it. I love how it's teeming with extras. I really hope they do similar sets for 76 and 90.

wheels
12-29-2006, 06:41 PM
I got it. I love how it's teeming with extras. I really hope they do similar sets for 76 and 90.

It looks as if MLB is being pretty judicious about what Championship teams it's willing to showcase.

Looks to me like it's a "best of the best" series, and the 1976/90 series were sweeps.

wheels
12-29-2006, 06:42 PM
Once again, can ANYONE decipher that chant?

It's killing me.

BCubb2003
12-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Once again, can ANYONE decipher that chant?

It's killing me.

I think they're saying, "THERE IS. A. NATIONAL LEAGUE."

Not sure why, though, except that the commentary in this game has been about how the Reds are finally playing the way they'd been all season.

108 wins, only 18 losses at home, no more than two losses in a row at home, major league reacord for team base-stealing percentage, 56,000 plus in attendance. Sigh...

By the way, the catcher scored on two sac flies.

westofyou
12-29-2006, 11:02 PM
Not sure why, though,

Because Gowdy who was a former Bosox announcer mentioned the Red Sox 3 times to every Reds mention, I just watched the first 2 innings of game one and Gowdy said that the Red Sox had the nucleolus for the next 10 years and they were just were the A's were in 72.. then he mentioned the Reds had been on a good run, but were more of a vet group. That stuff continued throughout the series.

BTW Rose had an 8 pitch AB in his first AB and then Morgan grounded out on the first pitch of his at bat.... that stuff drove me crazy back then too.

RedFanAlways1966
12-29-2006, 11:13 PM
At the end of game five in Cincinnati, the fans started a little chant around the seventh or eighth inning. It went something like "Blah...Blah...National League!"

Johnny Bench's wife was extremely hot, too.

In game five, she was wearing a tight red shirt with the words Johnny Bench emblazoned on the chest in sparkely lettering.

Game 5... you happen to mention? The game that saw a Boston righthanded reliever make his only appearance in a World Series against the BRM in the eighth inning. Faced two batters. Walked both... one scored. Leaving him with a career World Series ERA that is infinity. Doesn't get any higher than that. WS Record.

Dick Pole.

BCubb2003
12-29-2006, 11:23 PM
This is threatening to turn into a game thread.

George Foster
12-29-2006, 11:35 PM
I have all 4 games on VHS of the 90 series. I watch game 1 the night before opening day to get fired up!:thumbup:

I really don't know why I did not tape the NL Championship series. It was one of the best ever.:bang:

Blimpie
12-29-2006, 11:39 PM
My sister got that for me too.My sister got me an Adidas hoodie. :bang:

Jpup
12-30-2006, 12:30 AM
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ANE072940

41.97, that's cheapest price that I can find on it. Anyone ever ordered from there?

IowaRed
12-30-2006, 12:35 AM
My family bugged me for the month prior to Christmas, begging for ideas. I gave them the old, "I don't know, I can't think of anything". How could I forget about this? I can't believe it :bang: :bang: :bang:

BCubb2003
12-30-2006, 01:02 AM
Because Gowdy who was a former Bosox announcer mentioned the Red Sox 3 times to every Reds mention, I just watched the first 2 innings of game one and Gowdy said that the Red Sox had the nucleolus for the next 10 years and they were just were the A's were in 72.. then he mentioned the Reds had been on a good run, but were more of a vet group. That stuff continued throughout the series.

You're right. In the ninth they were chanting, "Hey NBC and Mr. Gowdy...:"

The Yankees-Red Sox obsession didn't start with ESPN.

wheels
12-30-2006, 08:14 AM
Watching those guys beyond the highlight reel, pitch by pitch....It's really understandable that they are considered one of the top five teams ever.

I was too young to realize it at the time, and as I got old enough to really pay attention, they were past their primes.

These DVDs really drive the point home. What an amazing ballclub.

Falls City Beer
12-30-2006, 10:24 AM
When I watch old baseball clips, all I can think of is:

"Good God, what a monstrously huge strike zone they got!"

Makes me appreciate what the newbies do even more.

RANDY IN INDY
12-30-2006, 11:51 AM
The strike zone should be larger today. It would be a much better game.

BoydsOfSummer
12-30-2006, 02:01 PM
I have all 4 games on VHS of the 90 series. I watch game 1 the night before opening day to get fired up!:thumbup:

I really don't know why I did not tape the NL Championship series. It was one of the best ever.:bang:

I have every game from that post-season. I'd like to get them switched to dvd or something before the tape breaks down.

Reds1
12-30-2006, 02:05 PM
This is threatening to turn into a game thread.

That's cool because I"m never quick enough to start them normally. :)

deltachi8
12-30-2006, 02:49 PM
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ANE072940

41.97, that's cheapest price that I can find on it. Anyone ever ordered from there?

All the time, very good place.

Spitball
12-30-2006, 04:11 PM
The strike zone should be larger today. It would be a much better game.

:thumbup: