PDA

View Full Version : Making a website

WMR
12-29-2006, 08:51 PM
I've been thinking about making my own website about a few different things that I'm interested in. I don't mind spending a few bucks if it's necessary, but could anyone knowledgable about this kind of thing recommend some good free sites for personal website creation as well as sites that are for pay?

Which do you recommend?

Is there any good free web-page creation software out there?

Thanks in advance. :)

remdog
12-29-2006, 09:43 PM
About 6 years ago I built 3 websites for a company (different markets, different faces) on the Yahoo! platform. It was pretty cheap and very easy. There's probably a link at Yahoo! that gives the details.

BTW, those 3 sites produced about $1.5M in business their first year so I would say they did what was asked for in terms of allowing customers to access the site.

Rem

HumnHilghtFreel
12-29-2006, 11:08 PM
I've always been interested in getting into my own web page as well.

Sorry this post was no help lol.

I have had a freewebs though. www.freewebs.com Not sure if it's really what you're talking about. It's template based and they're capable of being ported over to a domain(which i don't know how to do)

George Foster
12-30-2006, 12:50 AM
godaddy.com is pretty cheap as well.

jmcclain19
12-30-2006, 01:45 AM
Templates Box has a whole bunch of web related templates you can use for free - the download package includes a photoshop file, and some images & html files. Good stuff if you find one you like.

http://www.templatesbox.com/

I've used Godaddy.com a lot - I have a friend that works for them, and they have a really good deal if you just want to straight out buy domain names. I "cybersquat" so to speak on a batch of domains (firejerrynarron.com/firewaynekrivsky.com/firedanobrien.com etc etc) so Godaddy is awesome for that. But I've never used them as a hosting service - so I can't speak as to how they are quality wise.

If you want hosting as well, I use siteground.com. The best part of siteground - in addition to the fact that your domain name is free with the purchase of space - is when you buy space on their server they have a scripting program setup to install CMS engines. Meaning if you want to start up a community, or start a blog, you can pick any number of engines or programs (phpnuke, wordpress, vbulletin, mediawiki, or my personal fav Drupal) and by just the click of a button the script will install on the site.

Say you wanted to create a site - and have a forum, and a blog. You setup two subdomains, and on one you can use vbulletin(which runs Redszone) and on the other you can use Mambo or PHPNuke or Drupal or Wordpress to setup your blog.

Really cool stuff, I've had them for a while with no complaints or issues.

GAC
12-30-2006, 06:39 AM
bravenet isn't bad.

westofyou
12-30-2006, 11:15 AM
I host my sites through Yahoo, all three the 2 baseball sites and my own business site. Each has a different cost, the cheapest is like 9 bucks IIRC.

Thus I can monitor the mail for them all in one place as well. As for building a site, the easier the tool the more likely your code will be full of junk, my suggestion is to stay away from Front Page as a tool. I use Dreamweaver and Homesite (to code pure HTML) for file transfer I use Filezilla.

zombielady
12-30-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm inclined to agree that the geocities/yahoo sites are decent. I've had a few personal websites there. But really it would be easier to get a MySpace or something like that, if it's just to showcase your interests and hobbies.

Unassisted
12-30-2006, 07:07 PM
I favor the Content Management System approach to building sites. Find a host whose accounts include a script installer like Installatron. Use Installatron to install a CMS like Joomla or Mambo and either tweak the default template to fit the site or replace the default template with one from a template builder.

If you use a CMS, you can tweak your site from any Internet-connected computer and you aren't limited to working with the site from computers that have your publishing software and files on them.

GridironGrace
01-01-2007, 10:44 AM
alterhosting.com is what we use for our ems site for work.. nothing special.. and not much time put into it

www.wayneems.com

me and my partner did it all.. me mostly lol.. just no time for it and medic class so its kinda just hanging out for now

TRF
01-03-2007, 12:21 PM
godaddy blows. www.lunarpages.com will host you for about 8 bucks a month. You get about 4-5 CMS products to choose from, message boards, blogging tools, podcasts, email addresses and unlimited mySQL databases. The whole nine yards.

Mario-Rijo
05-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Whoa, reading all this is liking trying to learn chinese. Is there a Building a website for dummies? I have an idea for a site let's call it canocorn.com and the hypothetical idea behind it is to create an online auction type deal or something, something with hopefully a ton of traffic eventually (think ebay big). How do I get started with absolutely no experience in anything even remotely related to building one?

Also if I type in canocorn.com and I get re-directed to a site with another name attached to it or I get re-directed to a domain broker how do I go about getting that name I want? What if I just come up empty and it can't find a site with this name, how do I cybersquat (if that is a term used to obtain that domain name for myself free of charge)?

I have always been under the impression I can't build such a massive site without a whole host of computers in my living room, a ton of money, etc. SO any and all information is welcome. Also what is the best way to advertise it economically speaking? Thanks in advance.

Redsfaithful
05-04-2010, 08:27 AM
I'd recommend Wordpress, either self hosted, or their free option which is here:

http://wordpress.com/

This is going to be one of your more user friendly options. That's without knowing exactly what you want to do, but Wordpress will handle just about anything, be it personal or business.

Allegro
05-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Google sites is one I just found it it is easy and free. Lots of free templates for you to mess around with. And it's Google, so how bad can it be?

nate
05-04-2010, 09:47 AM
I'd recommend Wordpress, either self hosted, or their free option which is here:

http://wordpress.com/

This is going to be one of your more user friendly options. That's without knowing exactly what you want to do, but Wordpress will handle just about anything, be it personal or business.

I'm a full-on Wordpress disciple. It's really powerful, you can make it look and behave any way you want (not just as a "blog") and the 3.0 release coming "soon" will offer some very nice improvements.

Plus, it's free!

Total co-sign on Wordpress.

GIDP
05-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Unless you are making some super amazing website Wordpress is all you need. There are tons of ways to customize it and it never breaks unless something crazy happens.

westofyou
05-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Whoa, reading all this is liking trying to learn chinese. Is there a Building a website for dummies? I have an idea for a site let's call it canocorn.com and the hypothetical idea behind it is to create an online auction type deal or something, something with hopefully a ton of traffic eventually (think ebay big). How do I get started with absolutely no experience in anything even remotely related to building one?

Also if I type in canocorn.com and I get re-directed to a site with another name attached to it or I get re-directed to a domain broker how do I go about getting that name I want? What if I just come up empty and it can't find a site with this name, how do I cybersquat (if that is a term used to obtain that domain name for myself free of charge)?

I have always been under the impression I can't build such a massive site without a whole host of computers in my living room, a ton of money, etc. SO any and all information is welcome. Also what is the best way to advertise it economically speaking? Thanks in advance.

Building a web site that does stuff is not cheap, easy or something that is a 1-2-3 method. In fact it's a quagmire of business rules and software rules fighting together on a page.

Good luck.

nate
05-04-2010, 10:24 AM

Wordpress will do everything you want, M-R. Some of the more popular webhosts even have a simple Wordpress setup that makes it even easier to install than the easy 5-minute install.

As far as the domain, just register it. Most webhosts will do this and give you a break on the total cost if you host and register through them. You have to pay for it, but it's not that expensive.

TRF
05-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Hostmonster.com is my host now, very good customer service and very cheap.

Wordpress is very good, and probably the easiest out of the box so to speak. I use phpwebsite to run a site with over 20,000 pages. There is also Typo3, Joomla, Drupal and a ton more, all free.

But you still need some kind of designer, IMO. A person to make the site look the way you want. Try craigslist.

nate
05-04-2010, 02:58 PM
I just stumbled across this (http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/1and1-free-com-domain-name-1-year-registration/21052.aspx) offer. It's _free_ domain registration for 1 year with 1and1.com. Not affiliated with them at all, just thought M-R might find it useful.

Rojo
05-04-2010, 03:14 PM
I've used Yola (http://www.yola.com/) Not as much versatility but couldn't be easier.

HotCorner
05-04-2010, 03:42 PM
godaddy blows. www.lunarpages.com (http://www.lunarpages.com) will host you for about 8 bucks a month. You get about 4-5 CMS products to choose from, message boards, blogging tools, podcasts, email addresses and unlimited mySQL databases. The whole nine yards.

TRF ... curious as your opinion on godaddy. I've been using them for about 5 years now.

Mario-Rijo
05-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys, I guess I am gonna have to take baby steps here it sounds like. BTW Woy what do you mean by Software Rules?

TRF
05-04-2010, 06:15 PM
TRF ... curious as your opinion on godaddy. I've been using them for about 5 years now.

They are ok for basic sites, but their emphasis in the ads is how cheap they are. My experience when wanting some extras that were standard with other hosts, the price kept going up. Haven't given them a second look. May have been a bad experience, but Lunarpages, Hostmonster, Smartlogic, have all been decently priced for the features. just my opinion.

TRF
05-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys, I guess I am gonna have to take baby steps here it sounds like. BTW Woy what do you mean by Software Rules?

What do you consider a ton of money?

just curious.

Mario-Rijo
05-04-2010, 07:28 PM
What do you consider a ton of money?

just curious.

Well when I used it there I meant thousands I guess. But as it stands right now even hundreds is alot.

WVRed
05-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Don't know how in-depth you want to go with designing, but Adobe Dreamweaver is probably the best web design program you can use if you know how to use it.

Would also recommend FrontPage just because of the Microsoft capabilities.

TRF
05-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Frontpage is pretty much dead. It evolved into Microsoft Expression, and I don't recommend it.

Your best bet is a well known CMS like Wordpress, Drupal or Joomla. Then find a "theme" you like. The systems have a ton of features like e-commerce, blogs, polls etc.

nate
05-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Frontpage is pretty much dead. It evolved into Microsoft Expression, and I don't recommend it.

Your best bet is a well known CMS like Wordpress, Drupal or Joomla. Then find a "theme" you like. The systems have a ton of features like e-commerce, blogs, polls etc.

Agreed. I've tried hand-coding, GoLive, RapidWeaver, DreamWeaver, etc. and none of them gave me the flexibility that Wordpress does (but at least most of them cost several hundreds of dollars while WP is free!) I admit, I'm not a guy who codes sites for a living but that's really the point. I wanted to get my content up there without worrying about HTML, CSS, JQuery and all of the "screw level" stuff.

Oddly, now that I've gotten into WP, I understand all of that stuff a lot better than when I tried to tackle it on my own.

Ghosts of 1990
05-05-2010, 11:57 AM
blogger.com is pretty good and free depending on what you want to do.

Wordpress as well. Those are 'blogs' and considered websites by some.

TRF
05-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Well when I used it there I meant thousands I guess. But as it stands right now even hundreds is alot.

What kind of site do you want?

dougdirt
05-05-2010, 05:54 PM
For just about any kind of website I can think of, Wordpress seems to be the best answer as long as you know what you want and either know how to do it, or know someone else who can do it for you. Wordpress can be set up to be a 'blog' or it can be set up to look like a website with hundreds and hundreds of pages and features. It just all depends on what you want to do with it. My site is run completely on wordpress and I honestly don't think I will be going any other direction anytime soon.

Mario-Rijo
05-06-2010, 03:07 PM
What kind of site do you want?

Well as it turns out I was doing some research and found that there are sites out there already doing what I had in mind. Kind of a bummer, however had I not done a search I wouldn't have known that so they must not be doing all that well. I don't know if I want to share my idea in depth just yet but let's just say it would be sort of like a craigs list type deal but not exactly (and ebay and craigs list wouldn't exactly be my competition). It's a different enough concept that I don't think it would be compared to them. But as a site look (more like ebay) and run similiarly with hopefully those as a grand vision of it (and it's traffic) at some point down the road. Sorry to be vague just don't want to give my idea away.

TRF
05-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Well as it turns out I was doing some research and found that there are sites out there already doing what I had in mind. Kind of a bummer, however had I not done a search I wouldn't have known that so they must not be doing all that well. I don't know if I want to share my idea in depth just yet but let's just say it would be sort of like a craigs list type deal but not exactly (and ebay and craigs list wouldn't exactly be my competition). It's a different enough concept that I don't think it would be compared to them. But as a site look (more like ebay) and run similiarly with hopefully those as a grand vision of it (and it's traffic) at some point down the road. Sorry to be vague just don't want to give my idea away.

I see. I think. Look for a CMS with some social networking aspect to it. E-commerce tools, messageboard and the ability to manage your own profile. This sounds like it's beyond wordpress, but might work well with Drupal or Joomla.

Ultimately though, you will need a coder and a database person.

nate
05-06-2010, 03:23 PM
I see. I think. Look for a CMS with some social networking aspect to it. E-commerce tools, messageboard and the ability to manage your own profile. This sounds like it's beyond wordpress, but might work well with Drupal or Joomla.

Ultimately though, you will need a coder and a database person.

Buddypress (http://buddypress.org/) will do it.

Mario-Rijo
05-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Buddypress (http://buddypress.org/) will do it.

Will do what, the social networking aspect of it, etc.? Do I still need a coder and db person for it?

Mario-Rijo
05-07-2010, 04:15 AM
Hmm, just got done going over this:

http://www.how-to-build-websites.com/

Not sure how much I want to get into that concept afterall, at least not right away. Perhaps I should try something smaller 1st, to if nothing else elude some the issues of dealing with commerce of any kind until I have some other things under control. I suppose I am gonna still have to learn HTML just to have a regular site, does this even apply to a blog? Lots of stuff running thru my mind right now after reading this. Still have interest in doing it though, just may have to put more work into setting it up than I thought.

nate
05-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Will do what, the social networking aspect of it, etc.?

Yes.

Do I still need a coder and db person for it?

I don't think so.

TRF
05-07-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't think so.

If he's looking at creating some kind of craigslist ebay hybrid he does.

nate
05-07-2010, 12:57 PM

There might be an existing plugin that already does this though.

TRF
05-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Maybe. Long term, the success of the site will determine his needs.

nate
05-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Maybe. Long term, the success of the site will determine his needs.

Agreed. That's why I suggested WP 'cos the only big investment is time rather than time and money. But yeah, get a lot of traffic and a custom coded option is going to be the way to go.

Actually, I'd love to hear your advice on SEO. I don't really understand all the options I have and why it's important other than for making your site easily found via search.

Mario-Rijo
05-07-2010, 06:19 PM

Yeah I think I am gonna hold off on that particular idea for now, just gonna go with something less expansive, more familiar to me. I still want to hold onto that idea but I am finding just how much I have to learn on building and maintaining a site that I should start smaller. If not I'll freak myself out and bail on it in the end.

For starters as I have the basic understanding of how to build a site (at least know what it entails) now I need to figure out FTP, never done it and now I have to delve into it to figure out how to even transfer once I get it built. I use Firefox right now but do have IE as well and I hear you can FTP thru IE.

dougdirt
05-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah I think I am gonna hold off on that particular idea for now, just gonna go with something less expansive, more familiar to me. I still want to hold onto that idea but I am finding just how much I have to learn on building and maintaining a site that I should start smaller. If not I'll freak myself out and bail on it in the end.

For starters as I have the basic understanding of how to build a site (at least know what it entails) now I need to figure out FTP, never done it and now I have to delve into it to figure out how to even transfer once I get it built. I use Firefox right now but do have IE as well and I hear you can FTP thru IE.

I would look into an FTP client. I use Filezilla. It is free and easy to use.

TRF
05-07-2010, 06:23 PM
regarding SEO, i think it's as important as you want your site's relevance to be. An e-commerce site, one that sells a common item, hot sauce for example, the better the search engine results, the more customers you likely get. If you aren't on pages 1-3, you generally aren't found.

This next part is my opinion... SEO is best done in stages, and that can last 3 to 6 months. First determine your search criteria. How do you think people will find you via search. Come up with 12-15 word/phrases and rank them. Meta key words aren't used as much in determining search rankings, but they are still used. try not to repeat the words. Next, on your homepage (BTW, that is pretty much the only page you have to optimize, maybe some landing pages, but most search engines only accept 1 page for submission.) Make sure your number 1 phrase or word is in the html title, used in an <h1> tag, and peppered on the page 3-4 other times. Go down your list and do the same with the next 3-4 word/phrases and add them in in the same, but decreasing manner. BTW, header tags are important. We don't exactly know why, but probably that they add emphasis to the word. That said, wrapping the word/phrase in the body copy in <em> tags when not wrapped in a header tad also helps. Content is king for SEO.

My next step is to find out how my competitors do. There are some free SEO tools that can do this, the one i use is called Web CEO. It has both a free and pay version. It will also let you see where your site ranks with most any search engine. You should probably do that first, before you optimize, kind of a before and after look.

Once the homepage is optimized (title, headers, body content, alt tags) submit to search engines. It is recommended you do this once per year, but I think every 6 months is better, especially if you have a dynamic site.

Check your rankings weekly, but don't get discouraged after 2 weeks of little to no movement. Like I said it can take up to 6 months.

One other thing you can do is submit to directory listings pages. Yahoo has one, DMOZ is another one.

Lastly, there are article submission sites. A quick right up about your site submitted to a few of these can also help. Add in the social networking aspect of digg, facebook etc. and you can drive a ton of traffic to your site while not shelling out a dime in advertising.

TRF
05-07-2010, 06:24 PM

I also use filezilla. good product.

Mario-Rijo
05-07-2010, 06:44 PM

How does this work? Download the program to my computer then upload the site to it....?

dougdirt
05-09-2010, 07:35 PM
How does this work? Download the program to my computer then upload the site to it....?

Well, you need to have a server set up, and then you need to upload your files to the server, with an FTP program (though most services do have 'web upload' FTP type services).

Mario-Rijo
05-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Well, you need to have a server set up, and then you need to upload your files to the server, with an FTP program (though most services do have 'web upload' FTP type services).

Oh, ok thanks Doug.