as reported by MSNBC

RBA
12-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Breaking News

http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1483628.jpg
Saddam during his trial
Saddam Hussein Executed

Updated: 03:08, Saturday December 30, 2006

Former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein has been hanged for war crimes, it has been reported.
His death sentence was carried out in Baghdad following hours of confusion over whether he was to be executed or not.
US troops in Iraq had been put on "high alert" in case the announcement of his death sparked an outbreak of violence.
Saddam was sentenced to death by an Iraqi court on November 5 after a trial lasting more than a year.
He was found guilty of ordering the murder of 148 people in the village of Dujail following a failed assassination attempt against him in 1982.
The Iraqi government had made it clear it wanted the sentence carried out as quickly as possible, even though Saddam faced a series of other charges.
Saddam had been captured in December 2003, nine months after a US-led coalition invaded Iraq.
Officials in Iraq hinted last night that Saddam's execution was imminent.
However, the US Pentagon played down the claims and said it did not expect the former dictator to be hanged "within the next 24 hours".
Meanwhile, lawyers for Saddam made a last-ditch legal bid in Washington DC to prevent him being handed over to Iraqi authorities for execution. However, the judge turned down the request.

RBA
12-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Msnbc - Three Arabic Language Tv Stations Report Hussein Executed. Nbc Has Not Confirmed.

RBA
12-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Reuters: Saddam Hussein Has Been Executed

RBA
12-29-2006, 10:17 PM
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - U.S.-backed Iraqi television station Al Hurra said Saddam Hussein had been executed by hanging shortly before 6 a.m. (0300 GMT) on Saturday.

The former Iraqi president ousted in April 2003 by a U.S.- led invasion was convicted in November of crimes against humanity over the killings of 148 Shi'ite villagers from Dujail after a failed assassination bid in 1982.

An appeals court upheld the death penalty on Tuesday. Iraq's government has kept details of its plans to conduct the execution completely secret amid concerns it could spark a violent backlash from his former supporters.

RBA
12-29-2006, 10:19 PM
CBS, Fox, NBC, and ABC and all us cable news networks have not been able to independently verify the reports.

HumnHilghtFreel
12-29-2006, 10:22 PM
My prayers are with all our armed forces over there right now. It could get chaotic.

Falls City Beer
12-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Maybe we should have asked Saddam what his last meal was?

RBA
12-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Fox News reporting celebrations are breaking out in Iraq. And their man in Iraq hopes the video of the execution is soon shown on Iraqi television.

George Foster
12-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Ding Dong the Witch is dead. He got a heck of a lot more justice then he ever dished out. Say hello to Hitler.

RBA
12-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Fox News: Pentagon has not confirmed the reports.

George Foster
12-29-2006, 10:32 PM
I honestly think a lot of Iraqs did not want to help the US forces because there was still a chance he could get out of jail. He ruled with such an iron hand that even the smallest of chance of his return to power scared them.
I hope this is the case. I hope things will start to settle down some in the next few weeks.

RBA
12-29-2006, 10:32 PM
CNN: One of Saddam's lawyers comfirms execution.

RBA
12-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Iraqis Authorites confirm to CNN of the Execution.

CNN: Senior US Military official confirms execution.

CNN: US backed Iraqi Networks scoop Iraqi State Television

RBA
12-29-2006, 10:37 PM
CNN: Hussein's Half Brother, BARZAN AL-TIKRITI also executed.

RBA
12-29-2006, 10:38 PM
NBC: Celebratory Gunfire heard in Baghdad.

RBA
12-29-2006, 10:41 PM
CNN: Witnesses danced around Saddam's dead body.

George Foster
12-29-2006, 10:42 PM
CNN: Witness to execution, claims that the witnesses danced around the dead body of the "butcher of Bagdad."

guttle11
12-29-2006, 10:44 PM
I don't see a middle ground now. Things will either get a lot better or a lot worse. We shall see.

savafan
12-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Everything else aside, the world is a better place tonight.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/savafan/l_4d39fb38a50807bbf31a5cdf95a65eff.jpg

HumnHilghtFreel
12-29-2006, 11:00 PM
lol saw this posted elsewhere:

Iraqi roaaaads, take me home
To the placeee where I belong
Ar Ramadiiii, middle eastern momma
Take me home, Iraqi roads

SirFelixCat
12-29-2006, 11:25 PM
My prayers are with all our armed forces over there right now. It could get chaotic.

Agreed.

But, still, I'm glad the bastard is gone!:beerme:

Blimpie
12-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Let's try not to get this thread closed before midnight....

Yachtzee
12-29-2006, 11:39 PM
I wonder what kind of effect this will have in Saudi Arabia, what with the Hajj going on.

Matt700wlw
12-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Get Bin Laden and do the same thing to his worthless ass....

Kick off the New Year the right way. :beerme:

George Foster
12-29-2006, 11:46 PM
Let's try not to get this thread closed before midnight....

I'm not trying to point fingers, but this 3 year ordeal was a mistake. He should of been killed 3 years ago, heck he should of been killed in 91, but that's a different thread. Today is a day to celebrate.:beerme:

GIK
12-30-2006, 12:08 AM
I know this is a huge deal and I don't want to downplay it at all, but let's please just try and stick to the news.

Thanks for the updates, RBA.

jmcclain19
12-30-2006, 12:36 AM
Drudge has an image capture of the scene

http://www.drudgereport.com/sh1.jpg

guttle11
12-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Looks like a Real World/Road Rules "The Duel" challenge.

Jpup
12-30-2006, 12:50 AM
FOX is showing video feeds of 4 Iraqi TV stations and they said that pictures and video from the hanging are coming up.

paintmered
12-30-2006, 01:14 AM
FOX is showing video feeds of 4 Iraqi TV stations and they said that pictures and video from the hanging are coming up.

Ya know, I don't think this is something I need to see. My TV will be turned off when that video is played.

savafan
12-30-2006, 01:24 AM
Ya know, I don't think this is something I need to see. My TV will be turned off when that video is played.

Yeah, but there are some people who won't believe it until they see it.

paintmered
12-30-2006, 01:35 AM
Yeah, but there are some people who won't believe it until they see it.

Iraqis need to see it the most. This is why it is a very good thing to meticulously document and record the event. There's enough misinformation floating around there as it is.

GAC
12-30-2006, 05:28 AM
The Fox video only shows him being led up onto the gallows and the rope being put around his neck. It doesn't show the actual hanging.

The guy got more of a shot at justice, regardless of what one currently thinks of the Iraq judiciary system at the moment, then what he dished out.

They report that his last words were "God is great!"

He will also find out he is just too.

I believe in the death penalty, though not the form used by the Iraqi's (hanging).

And while I believe Saddam got what he deserved, and rightly so, I don't take comfort or want to rejoice in the streets at another human being's death (Iraqis) or our American media giving this so much coverage and going into the gruesome details of his last moments with all types of guest commentators and analysts like it's an NFL game. It will be shown and discussed in great detail for days on end.

I turned it off. My "morbid" curiosity is not that demanding.

RedsBaron
12-30-2006, 06:12 AM
And while I believe Saddam got what he deserved, and rightly so, I don't take comfort or want to rejoice in the streets at another human being's death (Iraqis) or our American media giving this so much coverage and going into the gruesome details of his last moments with all types of guest commentators and analysts like it's an NFL game. It will be shown and discussed in great detail for days on end.

I turned it off. My "morbid" curiosity is not that demanding.

While I have no doubt but that Hussein got what he deserved, I do not feel at all celebratory either.

TeamCasey
12-30-2006, 09:12 AM
Wow, that was quick. 60 days vs. the decades of appeals he'd have here.

Red in Chicago
12-30-2006, 09:15 AM

i was thinking the same thing...

traderumor
12-30-2006, 09:47 AM
While I have no doubt but that Hussein got what he deserved, I do not feel at all celebratory either.Agree with both GAC and RB.

harangatang
12-30-2006, 03:28 PM
I believe in the death penalty, though not the form used by the Iraqi's (hanging).
Not to turn this thread into a death penalty thread, but death by hanging if done properly is the most painless ways in executing someone. Last night they said Hussein died within a matter of seconds which means it was done properly. Compared to lethal injection, the electric chair, etc. which result in death over a period of a couple minutes, the death penalty by hanging results in least amount of pain. (Thanks Fox News or CNN, I don't remember which)

savafan
12-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Yeah, lethal injection seems torturous...

vaticanplum
12-30-2006, 03:42 PM

He did appeal, but lost. It's not a matter of geography really, merely that crimes against humanity tend to get swifter attention than cases with no international repercussions. Plus the evidence against him was pretty damning, not much chance of a sentence being overturned.

zombielady
12-30-2006, 03:59 PM
First thing I thought of was the Saddam character in South Park...

Spring~Fields
12-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Agree with both GAC and RB.

Me too.

savafan
12-30-2006, 04:13 PM
First thing I thought of was the Saddam character in South Park...

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/savafan/Satan_saddam.jpg

Falls City Beer
12-30-2006, 04:17 PM
I think they should have eaten Saddam. I'm tired of all these formal events with guys wearing ski masks, with ropes and cameras; I want the messy stuff; I want some cannibalism!

Who's with me!!??

YEAH!!!

Redsfaithful
12-30-2006, 04:23 PM
I honestly think a lot of Iraqs did not want to help the US forces because there was still a chance he could get out of jail. He ruled with such an iron hand that even the smallest of chance of his return to power scared them.
I hope this is the case. I hope things will start to settle down some in the next few weeks.

This seems kind of unlikely. But yeah, let's hope.

marcshoe
12-30-2006, 06:14 PM
For God's sake, let us sit upon the ground
And tell sad stories of the death of kings;
How some have been deposed; some slain in war,
Some haunted by the ghosts they have deposed;
Some poison'd by their wives: some sleeping kill'd;
All murder'd: for within the hollow crown
That rounds the mortal temples of a king
Keeps Death his court and there the antic sits,
Scoffing his state and grinning at his pomp,
Allowing him a breath, a little scene,
To monarchize, be fear'd and kill with looks,
Infusing him with self and vain conceit,
As if this flesh which walls about our life,
Were brass impregnable, and humour'd thus
Comes at the last and with a little pin
Bores through his castle wall, and farewell king!
(from Richard II)

Redlegs23
12-30-2006, 07:22 PM
I won't post a link, but if anyone's curious like I was there's an amatuer video of the full hanging on youtube. It's not that graphic really, but nothing I'd watch more than once either. Quality isn't that good and the camera is very shaky.

George Foster
12-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Yeah, lethal injection seems torturous...

Raping and murdering someone seems a little more torturous.

Falls City Beer
12-30-2006, 09:03 PM
For God's sake, let us sit upon the ground
And tell sad stories of the death of kings;
How some have been deposed; some slain in war,
Some haunted by the ghosts they have deposed;
Some poison'd by their wives: some sleeping kill'd;
All murder'd: for within the hollow crown
That rounds the mortal temples of a king
Keeps Death his court and there the antic sits,
Scoffing his state and grinning at his pomp,
Allowing him a breath, a little scene,
To monarchize, be fear'd and kill with looks,
Infusing him with self and vain conceit,
As if this flesh which walls about our life,
Were brass impregnable, and humour'd thus
Comes at the last and with a little pin
Bores through his castle wall, and farewell king!
(from Richard II)

"What's Hecuba to him, or he to Hecuba...."

savafan
12-31-2006, 06:17 AM
Raping and murdering someone seems a little more torturous.

I'm not arguing that.