PDA

View Full Version : Trade maybe

BEETTLEBUG
12-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Is there a trade that the Reds could workout to get Pat Burrell from Phillies or would they want him?

BigRed
12-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Burrell makes a lot of money. I don't think there's anyway outside of moving Griffey or Dunn that they could take on the money. I would not mind having him here, but it won't happen.

Tom Servo
12-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Burrell has a no-trade clause and only wants to go to the Yankees, Red Sox, or a West Coast team, and the Reds don't fall under any of those qualifications.

redsmetz
12-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Burrell makes a lot of money. I don't think there's anyway outside of moving Griffey or Dunn that they could take on the money. I would not mind having him here, but it won't happen.

We are called the Queen City of the West though. Maybe he won't notice the body of water is just not as wide....

dunner13
12-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Burrell for milton would work for me. But with burrells no trade clause I doubt anything could be worked out where he would come to cincy.

camisadelgolf
12-30-2006, 04:50 PM
I don't think Burrell would ever come here either, but one thing working in the Reds' favor is that it's a hitter's ballpark and would be the perfect opportunity for Burrell to put him on track to be in the upper echelon of MLBers.

jmac
12-30-2006, 05:44 PM
Burrell for milton would work for me.

burrell for milton or a "milton burrell" deal....sorry i couldnt resist !
oops maybe no one else is old enough to get that !

Handofdeath
12-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Burrell for milton would work for me. But with burrells no trade clause I doubt anything could be worked out where he would come to cincy.

Right now here is what is available in a trade for Eric Milton...

(crickets chirping)

marcshoe
12-30-2006, 06:42 PM

Only if the Phillies threw in Chase Utley or that first baseman they have, Howard something. We could platoon him with Hatteburg, maybe. You have to make sure we get value for Milton. ;)

Dracodave
12-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Only if the Phillies threw in Chase Utley or that first baseman they have, Howard something. We could platoon him with Hatteburg, maybe. You have to make sure we get value for Milton. ;)

A-Gon + Milton for

Madson + Burrel + Rollins...

Waaaitt..

Can we call up Seatle instead?

A-Gon + Milton for

Ichiro + Baek + Betancourt

Newman4
12-30-2006, 07:27 PM
Why would Philly want Milton? They have too many starters already.

How about Dunn for Burrell and Lieber?

marcshoe
12-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Why would Philly want Milton? They have too many starters already.

A simple solution to that would be Philly to throw in Cole Hamels. Everyone wins. :D

Will M
12-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Right now here is what is available in a trade for Eric Milton...

(crickets chirping)

IF he is healthy and the Reds fall out of contention we will get some value for Milton mid season. No reason to try and trade him now ( since he is recovering from an injury ). Think of all the terrible terrible pitchers given playing time by teams ( including the Reds ) in 2006.

pedro
12-30-2006, 09:33 PM
It's funny that Carlos Lee gets a 100 million dollar contract and the Phillies seem like they can't wait to dump Pat Burrell.

Highlifeman21
12-30-2006, 10:25 PM
It's funny that Carlos Lee gets a 100 million dollar contract and the Phillies seem like they can't wait to dump Pat Burrell.

They couldn't wait to dump Bobby Abreu either. How's that workin out for the Phillies now?

Jpup
12-31-2006, 05:06 AM
They couldn't wait to dump Bobby Abreu either. How's that workin out for the Phillies now?

That's about the worse deal I've ever seen Pat Gillick do, I think. He may know something though.

Highlifeman21
12-31-2006, 12:20 PM
That's about the worse deal I've ever seen Pat Gillick do, I think. He may know something though.

1. Trading Abreu for a SS prospect when you currently have an 8M per franchise type SS.
2. Letting Dellucci walk.
3. Acquiring Jayson Werth.
4. Getting rid of Jeff Conine.

Those 4 moves right there would make me tear out my hair as a Phillies fan. You don't solve the CF by committee problem child of Victorino and Rowand, and you essentially turn Abreu into Werth. Huge downgrade. Combine that with no clear cut back up for Ryan Howard, and it actually looks to be bad for Philly to lose Conine.

I would hope Gillick knows something if he turns Abreu into Werth and only has a SS prospect to show for it when he already has a franchise SS who still has age on his side.

mth123
12-31-2006, 12:26 PM
1. Trading Abreu for a SS prospect when you currently have an 8M per franchise type SS.
2. Letting Dellucci walk.
3. Acquiring Jayson Werth.
4. Getting rid of Jeff Conine.

Those 4 moves right there would make me tear out my hair as a Phillies fan. You don't solve the CF by committee problem child of Victorino and Rowand, and you essentially turn Abreu into Werth. Huge downgrade. Combine that with no clear cut back up for Ryan Howard, and it actually looks to be bad for Philly to lose Conine.

I would hope Gillick knows something if he turns Abreu into Werth and only has a SS prospect to show for it when he already has a franchise SS who still has age on his side.

I agree on the top 2, but I'd take Werth every day of the week over Conine. Werth has actual versatility and can actually play those spots defensively and much more upside with the bat. Conine was a good player in the late 90s though.

Highlifeman21
12-31-2006, 12:29 PM
I agree on the top 2, but I'd take Werth every day of the week over Conine. Werth has actual versatility and can actually play those spots defensively and much more upside with the bat. Conine was a good player in the late 90s though.

Conine wasn't going to start before they added Werth. They would have played Victorino in RF, which IMO is a better option than Werth. Heck, Victorino is a better option in CF than Rowand. Why Philly ever got Rowand for Thome, I'll never know. I realize they knew Ryan Howard was about to be something big, and Thome was in his way, but the return on investment in the Thome deal had essentially zero value.

I guess Ken Williams felt guilty about that trade and sent them F. Garcia a year later.

mth123
12-31-2006, 12:35 PM
Conine wasn't going to start before they added Werth. They would have played Victorino in RF, which IMO is a better option than Werth. Heck, Victorino is a better option in CF than Rowand. Why Philly ever got Rowand for Thome, I'll never know. I realize they knew Ryan Howard was about to be something big, and Thome was in his way, but the return on investment in the Thome deal had essentially zero value.

I guess Ken Williams felt guilty about that trade and sent them F. Garcia a year later.

I hadn't heard that Werth was going to start. I thought the plan was still Burrell, Rowand and Victorino. If he plays, Werth could put up some decent HR numbers in Philly. Moving from LA will really help him IMO.

Highlifeman21
12-31-2006, 12:45 PM
I hadn't heard that Werth was going to start. I thought the plan was still Burrell, Rowand and Victorino. If he plays, Werth could put up some decent HR numbers in Philly. Moving from LA will really help him IMO.

Rowand still isn't 100% healthy, and given the reckless abandon he shows on the field, I'd be surprised if he plays 100+ games for the Phils. Rowand is Philly's Griffey, and vice versa.

Overhyped and often injured. Great combo.

Werth was an insurance policy with the brilliant move of letting Dellucci walk. An insurance policy that will probably start the season in RF.

mth123
12-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Rowand still isn't 100% healthy, and given the reckless abandon he shows on the field, I'd be surprised if he plays 100+ games for the Phils. Rowand is Philly's Griffey, and vice versa.

Overhyped and often injured. Great combo.

Werth was an insurance policy with the brilliant move of letting Dellucci walk. An insurance policy that will probably start the season in RF.

Still some teams looking for help in CF. Rowand could bring back some help.

Does Philly have a $ issue? The main return for Abreau and Thome was payroll relief. Garcia's contract just replaces Wolf's. Delucci, Cormier, FRanklin, Bell and Leiberthal pay for Helms, Barajas and Eaton. Abreau $ all seems to be savings. Seems like they were mainly wanting $ relief for Burrell as well.

Highlifeman21
12-31-2006, 01:20 PM
Still some teams looking for help in CF. Rowand could bring back some help.

Does Philly have a $ issue? The main return for Abreau and Thome was payroll relief. Garcia's contract just replaces Wolf's. Delucci, Cormier, FRanklin, Bell and Leiberthal pay for Helms, Barajas and Eaton. Abreau $ all seems to be savings. Seems like they were mainly wanting $ relief for Burrell as well.

I can understand a salary dump and opening up a place to play for Ryan Howard with the Thome move. Giving away Abreu for nothing is a criminal act by Gillick. They could have easily afforded Abreu.

Blind Melon
12-31-2006, 08:41 PM
For the record, this is what they got in return for Abreu and the late Cory Lidle:

Matt Smith (LHRP)
Carlos Monasterios (RHRP)
Jesus Sanchez (C)
C.J. Henry (SS)

Smith obviously being the only Major Leaguer at this point....

Jpup
01-01-2007, 03:50 AM
For the record, this is what they got in return for Abreu and the late Cory Lidle:

Matt Smith (LHRP)
Carlos Monasterios (RHRP)
Jesus Sanchez (C)
C.J. Henry (SS)

Smith obviously being the only Major Leaguer at this point....

they got nothing of great value other than a salary dump. My guess is that they were trying to get rid of Abreu due to his power numbers being on the decline. I don't really know for sure though.

I respect Pat Gillick, but he really does some questionable things at times. He seems to be in much the same situation as Krivsky except Philly seems to have much more talent at the big league level. I keep thinking that every year will be Philly's year, but then they seem to find a way to not get it done. Maybe 2007 will change that for them. Letting Delucci walk for nothing was a terrible move for the Phillies as well. If Krivsky could have picked him up, I would have felt a ton better about Kearns being a Nat.

Philadelphia has a lot of pieces to the puzzle with Utley, Howard, Rollins, etc, but they just don't seem to value a lot of the guys that contribute greatly to their success. I am also not sold on Cole Hamels being the second coming as of yet. The Phillies pitching prospects have kind of flamed out after they got to the bigs in the last few years.