PDA

View Full Version : Book suggestions wanted...

Buckeye33
12-30-2006, 03:24 PM
I am looking for some good book suggestions. I'm just now getting back to reading on a consistent basis and am looking for good books.

I really enjoy Fantasy and military books. Also enjoy biographies. Here are some of the books that I've read somewhat lately:

Jarhead
Shooter: (a sniper recount of Iraq)
A Painted House (John Grisham)
The Thousand Orcs
Promise of The WitchKing (both of these are R.A. Salvatore (Drizzt books))

I really like Fantasy. I'm looking to maybe get into a new series similar to all the Drizzt books by Salvatore.

Anyways, thanks for any suggestions....

Blimpie
12-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Shadow Divers was a pretty good read if you enjoy WWII military history.

savafan
12-30-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm currently reading the novel Outlander. It's somewhat fantastical, as it involves time travel. It's a pretty good read. I'm told there is like five in the series or something.

zombielady
12-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Neil Gaman is a great author. I liked his books, Stardust, and Anansi Boys. Fantasy...

nycredsfan
12-30-2006, 04:31 PM
The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell by John Crawford and One Bullet Away by Nathaniel Fick are both excellent military memoirs.

UKFlounder
12-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin - a multiple biography of sorts, on Abraham Lincoln, Edward Bates, William Henry Seward and Salmon Chase, how they were rivals for the 1860 Republican nomination, then ended up in the same cabinet, including how Lincoln managed to get them to work together.

It's very well written and easy to read, especially if you have interest in the politics of that era.

Doc. Scott
12-30-2006, 11:07 PM
I am looking for some good book suggestions. I'm just now getting back to reading on a consistent basis and am looking for good books.

I really enjoy Fantasy and military books. Also enjoy biographies. Here are some of the books that I've read somewhat lately:

Jarhead
Shooter: (a sniper recount of Iraq)
A Painted House (John Grisham)
The Thousand Orcs
Promise of The WitchKing (both of these are R.A. Salvatore (Drizzt books))

I really like Fantasy. I'm looking to maybe get into a new series similar to all the Drizzt books by Salvatore.

Anyways, thanks for any suggestions....

Salvatore is great and everything, but I have to toss out the name of George R. R. Martin- fantasy that's gritty, "low-magic", and uses several neat narrative tricks. Not kid stuff.

The Edd Roush book (Red Legs and Black Sox) is also a great read.

Scrap Irony
12-31-2006, 12:11 AM
If you enjoy fantasy, read Terry Pratchett. He's an either/or writer-- some absolutely love him and others don't get his unique (and sometimes caustic) satire. His book co-written with Neil Gaiman made me giggle out loud. (And I don't giggle often.)

Great stuff if you're into pop culture at all.

Too, other books and authors I've enjoyed in that area include:
Kim Harrison (The Rachel Morgan series isn't bad)
EoinColfer (The Wish List is great)
Orson Scott Card (The Ender's Game series is fabulous reading, as is the Hatrack River series)
Piers Anotony isn't bad
Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is very British
Raymond Feist got me started in this genre and may skew young for you
Lois Lowry's Giver trilogy is very good

That's about it, I think.

Have fun reading.

Dracodave
01-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Personally, I've been reading Wicked: Life and Times of the Wicked witch of the west. Confessions of an Ugly Step Sister. All of those books are by Gregory Maquire.

I've also finished reading The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.

Good reads really.

cumberlandreds
01-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Flags of our Fathers is a great book if you haven't read it yet. I just read it recently. One of the best about WWII I have read. I just started reading Luckiest Man by Jonathan Eig. A biography about Lou Gehrig. So far it's very good!

KoryMac5
01-03-2007, 01:15 PM
"Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz is my personal favorite plus he has two other books in the series.

WMR
01-03-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm with Doc Scott: If you enjoy fantasy, you MUST read the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R.R. Martin. The first book in the series, which currently stands at four (and still growing), "A Game of Thrones," is one of the best books--of ANY persuasion--I've EVER read.

A true "MUST READ."

Doc. Scott
01-03-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm with Doc Scott: If you enjoy fantasy, you MUST read the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R.R. Martin. The first book in the series, which currently stands at four (and still growing), "A Game of Thrones," is one of the best books--of ANY persuasion--I've EVER read.

A true "MUST READ."

Plus I think you can get that first one in paperback for $3.99 list price. You get gouged later... but you won't care.

Hope you don't have a weak stomach or are easily offended, because Martin's stuff is for mature audiences. But it's pretty darn unique in a genre without much new in the past decade or two.

dman
01-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Flyboys: A True Story Of Courage and Flags Of Our Fathers both by James Bradley

TRF
01-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Sherwood by Parke Godwin is without a doubt one of the best books I have ever read. Sets Robin Hood during William the Conquerer's reign. Fantastically realistic. There is a sequel called Robin and the King that is pretty good, but Sherwood is phenomenal.

freestyle55
01-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Try Ghost Wars by Steve Coll - very interesting summary of the US, Afghanistan, Bin Laden, etc. from the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan until 9/10/2001.

Another good one is The Interrogators: Inside the Secret War Against al Qaeda by Chris Mackey and Greg Miller - good bio about the military and government interrogators on the ground in Afghanistan during the war.

PurplePanther73
01-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS

A true "MUST READ."

I also love this series. Another fantasy series you might try is "The Sword of Truth" by Terry Goodkind. There are currently 10 books in this on-going series. Other then David Eddings, Terry Goodkind is probably my favorite author. And if you want to venture into horror, even though a bit dated, Steven King's "It', "The Stand", and "The Tommyknockers" are all very good books. They are lengthy, but once engrossed, you won't really mind.

WMR
01-06-2007, 10:26 PM
"When things are blackest, I just tell myself 'cheer up, things could get worse!' And sure enough, they get worse!".....The Great Skeeve

You like the Myth series?? That's AWESOME, that was one of the first fantasy series I fell in love with growing up. The author went through a lot of problems in his personal life and wrote another in the series with another author and it wasn't nearly the same.

What a wonderful series. :)

(For anyone interested: The Myth books by Robert Asprin. Great books that are easy to pick up and read.)

PurplePanther73
01-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
You like the Myth series?? That's AWESOME, that was one of the first fantasy series I fell in love with growing up. The author went through a lot of problems in his personal life and wrote another in the series with another author and it wasn't nearly the same.

What a wonderful series.

(For anyone interested: The Myth books by Robert Asprin. Great books that are easy to pick up and read.)

It's good to take a break occasionally from all the mayhem found in most fantasy books and have a good laugh. The Myth adventures, I discovered many years ago, offered just such a break. (Especially if you've just read the Thomas Covenant series.....Talk about depressing!) There's not much comedy fantasy available; and this series is the best in my opinion (although Terry Pratchett comes pretty close).

I agree that the latest in the series is not up to par with the others. And that's a shame, to. Even so, you're right, WilyMoROCKS.....A wonderful series!