PDA

View Full Version : If you have Time Warner Cable...your screwed!

George Foster
12-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Found out today that Time Warner and Fox could not reach an aggreement. So, no Fox as of Jan 1. That means no NFC games...none. No NFC playoff games. Which network has the Super Bowl? NO FOX TV shows. No Fox News either.

Time Warner also could not reach an aggreement with the NFL network as well. Which tells you that Time Warner are cheap bastards, because the vast majority of other cable providers carry the NFL network.

HumnHilghtFreel
12-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Nooooo!!!!!

Fox is probably one of my most watched channels too.

George Foster
12-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Nooooo!!!!!

Fox is probably one of my most watched channels too.

One of my patients sales the Dish network. I called him today. He said he has had over 100 phone calls today. He will be coming to my house on Tuesday. I called in a favor...I stick needles and drills in his mouth....

Reds4Life
12-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Any official release about this? You don't need cable to get network Fox, you'd need it for Fox News though. What about Fox Sports Net that carries all the Reds games?

George Foster
12-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Any official release about this? You don't need cable to get network Fox, you'd need it for Fox News though. What about Fox Sports Net that carries all the Reds games?

They said I could still get fox with my antenna.....no thanks. They sent me a pre-recorded telephone message. I've gotten like 10 calls from my buddies complaining about it as well. I live in Kentucky. I would assume it is all of Time Warner however.

George Foster
12-30-2006, 09:16 PM
So we’re working to keep them on
our channel lineup.

Over the past few months, Time Warner Cable has been in negotiations with Sinclair Broadcasting to allow us to continue carrying WDKY-56, WCHS-8 and WVAH-11. These negotiations are on-going and we hope to reach agreement soon.

If we don’t have an agreement with Sinclair, as mandated by FCC regulations, we may be forced to stop delivering WDKY-56, WCHS-8 and WVAH-11 to you. Many of you will still be able to access these off-air channels.

At Time Warner Cable, keeping your monthly bill as low as possible is one of our primary concerns. We are doing everything in our power to hold down programming costs, which is the primary driver of increased prices.

We negotiate in good faith with our programming partners to ensure our customers receive their favorite networks, uninterrupted. We will continue to actively pursue this course with Sinclair Broadcasting.

Either way, you will still be able to watch many shows on WDKY-56, WCHS-8 and WVAH-11

It includes ABC too.....what a bunch of hacks....:thumbdown

HumnHilghtFreel
12-30-2006, 09:16 PM

Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about, with Reds and Cavs games being carried on Fox's family channels

paintmered
12-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Time to make the switch to Dish or DirecTV.

RedFanAlways1966
12-30-2006, 09:25 PM
... we may be forced to stop delivering WDKY-56, WCHS-8 and WVAH-11 to you. Many of you will still be able to access these off-air channels.

Sounds like channels that carry FOX TV to me. I wouldn't think that they would refer to Fox Sports Ohio or Fox News with the WXXX name-thing.

George Foster needs to tell us if channels 56, 8 or 11 on his package are Fox Sports Net or Fox News.

George Foster
12-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Sounds like channels that carry FOX TV to me. I wouldn't think that they would refer to Fox Sports Ohio or Fox News with the WXXX name-thing.

George Foster needs to tell us if channels 56, 8 or 11 on his package are Fox Sports Net or Fox News.

No. Channel 56 is the Fox network, that carries the NFL and their prime time line-up. It did not mention anything about Fox sports ohio.

guttle11
12-30-2006, 09:59 PM
So, uh, this doesn't effect us in Dayton, does it?

Reds4Life
12-30-2006, 09:59 PM
No. Channel 56 is the Fox network, that carries the NFL and their prime time line-up. It did not mention anything about Fox sports ohio.

You don't need cable for network programming though, just unhook the cable line and you'll have it.

George Foster
12-30-2006, 10:04 PM
You don't need cable for network programming though, just unhook the cable line and you'll have it.

That's the whole point of having cable television, so I don't have to watch TV like I did in 1975. The newer televisions do not pick up local stations near as good as the good ole tube tv's.....no thanks. I'm getting the dish. I'm tired of dealing with cheap hacks like Time Warner. As I mentioned above I can't get the NFL Network either.

HotCorner
12-30-2006, 10:52 PM
No BCS Championship Game. No 24. No American Idol.

Well the last one might a good thing. ;)

traderumor
12-30-2006, 11:53 PM
The fat lady hasn't sang yet

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061230/COMMUNITIES02/61230015

Time Warner 'still optimistic' for deal
Advocate staff reports

NEWARK — Time Warner Cable and Sinclair Broadcasting Group still are actively negotiating as the deadline to reach an agreement draws near.

Many Licking County cable customers have been waiting anxiously for word on whether they will lose two local channels.

The current agreement, which Time Warner inherited when it took control of Adelphia earlier this year, expires at midnight Monday morning. If an agreement is not reached before that time, Time Warner customers who previously had Adelphia service would be left without Fox and ABC starting Monday.

Time Warner Mid-Ohio Division spokeswoman Judy Barbao said Time Warner sent a proposal to Sinclair early Saturday morning. The two companies were still “actively negotiating” as of 7 p.m. Saturday.

“We’re still optimistic it’s going to get done before the deadline,” Barbao said.
Barbao previously reported that Time Warner had a corporate conference Friday that indicated the two groups were getting close to an agreement.

The two companies are disputing because Sinclair Broadcast Group wants Time Warner to pay a fee for carrying the local affiliates, which Time Warner did not have to do under Sinclair’s deal with Adelphia.

Time Warner customers in Newark, Heath, Hebron, Granville and Buckeye Lake are among those in parts of 32 Ohio counties who could lose some local affiliates.

The lengthy battle has led some cable customers to switch to satellite alternatives.

Some customers have been angered by the prospect of not being able to watch the BCS National Championship game and favorite shows that appear on Fox and ABC, such as “Desperate Housewives,” “24” and “American Idol.”

I am assuming that it is not custom for local affiliates to charge a cable company. However, Time Warner could have at least worked out to make these channels optional with a de minimus surcharge to defray the costs. Just an example of innocent customers getting in the middle of bull-headed corporate spats.

RedsBaron
12-31-2006, 08:36 AM
We left cable for Dish Network several years ago. More channels for less money and better reception and service.

GAC
12-31-2006, 08:46 AM
We left cable for Dish Network several years ago. More channels for less money and better reception and service.

I left Directv several years ago for cable (Charter) because at that time I couldn't get local channels, they didn't offer HS internet, and the local cable system (which was terrible) made huge fiber optics improvements and was "absorbed" by Charter Communications.

But I have not been too happy with this local Charter affiliate (they all aren't the same I guess). Their channel selection has gotten worse, they have refused to add certain popular selections (don't get the "On Demand" stuff on the movie channels). Their 3 MG HS internet is pretty good though.

Did Dish and Directv combine forces? Does anyone have their internet? What is it like?

12-31-2006, 08:59 AM
No, as of now, Dish and DirestTV are separate. I had the distant local package for ABC, since there is no affiliate here in Terre Haute. I lost that, and the nearest one is about 55 miles away. I thought about putting another aerial pointed towards it, and keeping the one I have pointed at the locals, but I already have one aerial and 2 satellite dishes on my roof. I don't want to look like NASA.

GAC
12-31-2006, 09:20 AM
I'm browsing around the Dish Network site now, looking at their various packages and using their Cost Calculator.

Based on a 4 room installation (and I'd need 5), selecting the HD receiver, the America's Top 120 package (which will be $40 after 10 months), and local channels, I'm looking at $68 + tax.

Right now, with Charter, I'm getting their deluxe package that has all the premium movie channels (HBO, Encore, Starz, etc) (which I never watch, but my wife does), and their HS internet, and it's costing me $135/month (which I find ridiculous).

So - if I kept my HS internet with Charter ($40) since Dish doesn't offer it, and went with Dish Network for the channels, I don't see where I'd be saving that much at all. Especially after I'd probably have to add in the extra monthly fee for that 5th room.

Plus, I would be losing all the premium movie channels that I currently have with Charter.

So I don't see where it is worth it for me at this time.

deltachi8
12-31-2006, 12:57 PM
I have grown very quickly to lathe (c) time warner and even if the dish does cost me more, i will still switch as soon as I am out of the apartment.

RBA
12-31-2006, 01:16 PM
The fat lady hasn't sang yet

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061230/COMMUNITIES02/61230015

I am assuming that it is not custom for local affiliates to charge a cable company. However, Time Warner could have at least worked out to make these channels optional with a de minimus surcharge to defray the costs. Just an example of innocent customers getting in the middle of bull-headed corporate spats.

This is all caused by a FCC ruling a few years ago. More and more Over-the-Air channels are demanding compensation for their channel. In years past they were happy just to be on the cable systems to able to reach more consumers for their advertising revenue. Now they have found out they have little to lose and much to gain if they play hardball with the cable companies. With the Satellite companies carrying local channels too, the cable companies have a lot to lose if they don't carry one of the top 4 networks or even the CW now.

I side with the cable companies on this issue. If the broadcaster is using the public airwaves to broadcast their signals than it should be fair for the cable and satellite companies to pick up the signal for free and and pass it on to the consumers. After all, that is what commercial television is suppose to be about. Plus broadcast stations are suppose to operate in the public's best interest if they are using the public spectrum.

Yachtzee
12-31-2006, 01:18 PM
I have grown very quickly to lathe (c) time warner and even if the dish does cost me more, i will still switch as soon as I am out of the apartment.

Could you make them into a nice bat or towel rack? ;)

Or did you mean "to blathe," which we all know means "to bluff." You must have been playing cards with time warner...

You'll get no argument from me on Time Warner and its evils. I think they just about have monopoly power in the cable markets up here, now that they've bought out some of their chief rivals.

RBA
12-31-2006, 01:24 PM
By the way, I think Dish has raised prices this year and Directv is going to be raising prices pretty soon. So much for competition reducing prices. I think the only ones benefiting from the increase competition is the broadcast and cable networks who squeeze the cable and satellite companies for the best deal for them.

deltachi8
12-31-2006, 01:35 PM
Could you make them into a nice bat or towel rack? ;)

Or did you mean "to blathe," which we all know means "to bluff." You must have been playing cards with time warner...

You'll get no argument from me on Time Warner and its evils. I think they just about have monopoly power in the cable markets up here, now that they've bought out some of their chief rivals.

hehe...ooops!

loathe (c) - puffy

RedFanAlways1966
12-31-2006, 01:57 PM
And let us not forget the Time Warner annual 7% increase. 7%, in real dollars, becomes a higher increase each year. For those of you that receive 7% pay increases every year... congrats. I do not know of too many people that do in today's world. It is easy for most of us to complain about increasing gasoline prices. But cable rates seem to increase at much more of an increasing rate to this consumer. Unlike gasoline, which goes down at times due to supply and demand (so they say!), cable rates only move in one direction. Pay $75 now to Time Warner... look for $80.25 after the new year. You paid $70.09 the year before that... so your $4.91 increase last year is now a $5.25 increase this new year. It will be a $5.62 increase in 2008.

What did you pay for cable TV 5 years ago? What do you pay today? Is it that much better? Do you have a bunch of new channels that you watch and feel are worth the additional dollars spent each month?

Chip R
12-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Do you have a bunch of new channels that you watch and feel are worth the additional dollars spent each month?

It would be worth it for all the Lifetime channels they add every few months. ;)

reds1869
12-31-2006, 05:46 PM
This only affects you if your local Fox Network (or ABC in one case) is a Sinclair owned station. This does NOT affect Cincinnati's Fox affiliate. It affects a West Virginia ABC station, a WV Fox station and a Kentucky Fox station. I know there were some issues in parts of Ohio too. I've got experience with Sinclair; as much as TW is a pain I think the blame can be deflected to Sinclair on this one.

George Foster
01-01-2007, 01:12 AM
According to the web site, they have extended negociations(sp?) until Jan
12th. At least it won't affect the bowl games, and the first round of the NFL playoffs.