PDA

View Full Version : Scott Schoeneweis question

icehole3
12-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Any reason why he isnt mention as a potential resignee? Why no love for this guy? Call me crazy but I thought he a usable relief pitcher.

Dracodave
12-31-2006, 05:14 PM
We offered arb, he declined. I'd rather take my chances on the draft picks than him, but thats my opinion. With Stanton signed, I don't think that he does much good for us as our fourth lefty from the pen.

KoryMac5
12-31-2006, 05:44 PM
I believe Scott Boras represents him, and the team who signs him will have to give up a draft pick to get him. This and his numbers have been in decline over the last couple of years have scared teams away.

kheidg-
12-31-2006, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him come back next year - but an extra pick would be nice as well.

Either way they go it really doesn't matter to me. He pitched really well down the stretch for the Reds last year. If he does come back hopefully they can trade Cormier.

Degenerate39
12-31-2006, 05:54 PM
Any reason why he isnt mention as a potential resignee? Why no love for this guy? Call me crazy but I thought he a usable relief pitcher.

We have enough relief pitchers.

icehole3
12-31-2006, 06:12 PM
He closed a couple of games didnt he? Im not up on all the rules, can he accept arbitration or will he have to just be resigned in order to come back to Cincy? I'd rather have a veteran reliever than a draft pick. JMO.

Topcat
12-31-2006, 06:14 PM
This draft is truly going to define the new ownership in my opinion. If they cheap out on picks who are more easily sign able then I MR Pom-Pom waiver . Will truly become a incredibly disgruntled fan. The Draft is the Red's only true way to acquire top line talent in this era.

lollipopcurve
12-31-2006, 06:42 PM
the team who signs him will have to give up a draft pick to get him

not true -- under the new CBA, teams do not surrender a draft pick for a type B free agent -- the signing team gets a sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd rounds and that's all

Jpup
12-31-2006, 06:53 PM
This draft is truly going to define the new ownership in my opinion. If they cheap out on picks who are more easily sign able then I MR Pom-Pom waiver . Will truly become a incredibly disgruntled fan. The Draft is the Red's only true way to acquire top line talent in this era.

IMO, if that is the only way, they are never going to compete. Never. You have to do it several different ways.

RedLegSuperStar
12-31-2006, 07:12 PM
IMO, if that is the only way, they are never going to compete. Never. You have to do it several different ways.

That might be a little harsh. Sure things havn't went well this past offseason nor did it end well last season. The ownership IMO have to start putting their money where their mouth is and start practicing what they've been preaching. They want a winner they're going to have to spend a little to get a little.. and spend it in the right areas. Not on 3rd Catchers or 39 yr. old relief pitchers. This team I think would of better suited themselves with Aubrey Huff, Craig Wilson, and Scott Schoenewies.. as opposed to Mike Stanton, Bubba Crosby, Chad Moeller, and the Jeff Conine deal. I still hope the Reds brass has something else up their sleeves.. or purhaps this may be a looooong season.

I just can't see the oldest team in the history of the game never compeating. But Jpup.. I understand your frustration.

Tom Servo
12-31-2006, 07:16 PM
I believe Scott Boras represents him, and the team who signs him will have to give up a draft pick to get him. This and his numbers have been in decline over the last couple of years have scared teams away.
You hit the nail on multiple heads, I'd say. It would be costly to bring back Schoeneweis, and even though he pitched admirably for us it's unlikely he'd repeat the performance. We're better off taking the draft pick.

Topcat
12-31-2006, 08:18 PM

If they ever hope to get the Johan Santana's of this world that is the most likely way they will get them.

mth123
12-31-2006, 09:01 PM
Schoeneweiss combined stats in 2006

51.7 Innings, 4.88 ERA, 5.05 K/9, 4.18 BB/9, .7 HR/9, BABIP .273

Stats as a Red

14.3Innings, .63 ERA, 6.91 K/9, 5.02 BB/9, .63 HR/9, BABIP .205

Guy was extremely hit lucky, during his small sample size, in the first time around the league. Looking at the circumstances, his Reds tenure in 2006 was an obvious fluke. He made over $3 Million in 2006 and he simply isn't worth it. The guy from the combined line will be the one showing up not the guy who pitched less than 15 innings for the Reds. Passing on Schoeneweiss while getting a draft pick out of the deal has been WK's best move of the off-season.

terminator
12-31-2006, 10:31 PM
I don't think anyone above mentioned specifically that Schoenweis' agent believes he can get a three year deal. That's too long for someone who is thoroughly mediocre.

Dracodave
12-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Passing on Schoeneweiss while getting a draft pick out of the deal has been WK's best move of the off-season.

Next to not resigning Aurilla and getting the picks for him as well. Aurilla was a key part of our offense, but I have to believe his stats were due to playing for two contracts and GABP

mth123
12-31-2006, 10:44 PM
Next to not resigning Aurilla and getting the picks for him as well. Aurilla was a key part of our offense, but I have to believe his stats were due to playing for two contracts and GABP

Not sure. Schoeneweiss didn't really need to be replaced (but Wk spent part of his wad on Stanton anyway) with plenty of lefties on-hand. Aurilia will be missed and Conine is a several step downgrade.