PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year, Denny Green...

Blimpie
01-01-2007, 01:18 PM
The Cardinals finally have had enough with Green. I wonder what might have happened if the Bears' defense/special teams had not scored twelve touchdowns in the second half against the Cards...

Cardinals part ways with Green
Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com
Posted: 16 minutes ago

The worst kept secret in the NFL is no longer a secret.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Arizona Cardinals informed Denny Green Monday morning that he has been let go as head coach.
GM Rod Graves, who is also rumored to be on the hot seat, appears to be safe at this point.

Green led the team to a 5-11 record this season, a disappointing showing considering the many free-agent acquisitions — among them, running back Edgerrin James — the team made during the off-season.

In Green's three seasons in Arizona, the team never finished better than 6-10 and was a combined 16-32 during that stretch.

The team could look to add a personnel guy along with a new head coach, as Green was integral in both roles.

The rest of the staff is meeting with management today to see what their fate will be.

KronoRed
01-01-2007, 01:22 PM
That team is cursed.

Tom Servo
01-01-2007, 01:22 PM
I like Denny Green and thought it was a good hiring by the Cardinals at the time, but it needed to happen. Three seasons is enough time, and they were all losing ones.

Caseyfan21
01-01-2007, 01:24 PM
I worked out there this summer and I remember all the excitement leading up to the start of the NFL season. E James was going to come in and be the MVP on offense. Green was supposed to have a great season with the new players. Seems like the old saying from this summer we used against locals holds true, OSU wins more games each year in Phoenix than the Cardinals. Looks like, as Krono said, the team is cursed. At least they have a great stadium.

WMR
01-01-2007, 01:38 PM
"IF you wanna CROWN 'EM, then CROWN THEY ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Jpup
01-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Linert is going to have to learn another system now. I wonder how that will work out.

WMR
01-01-2007, 01:50 PM
[conspiracy theory] Unless it's Pete Carroll [end conspiracy theory]

Tom Servo
01-01-2007, 02:53 PM
"IF you wanna CROWN 'EM, then CROWN THEY ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"THE BEARS ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Jim Mora joins Denny in the unemplyoment line.

pedro
01-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Good luck anybody trying to win in Arizona. That franchise is pathetic and has been for the past 35 years.

redsfanmia
01-01-2007, 03:53 PM
They need some O line help and if they get that they could be a good football team, there are no curses just bad ownership.

Danny Serafini
01-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Dennis Green was a terrible coach who won in spite of himself in Minnesota. Pair him up with the worst owner in pro football and the results were predictable.

smallbattle
01-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Linert is going to have to learn another system now. I wonder how that will work out.

He's smart enough and young enough. It won't be a problem.

WVRed
01-01-2007, 08:25 PM
[conspiracy theory] Unless it's Pete Carroll [end conspiracy theory]

Or Norm Chow. I've been hearing his name creep up in head coaching vacancies(notably Atlanta).

Chip R
01-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Dennis Green was a terrible coach who won in spite of himself in Minnesota. Pair him up with the worst owner in pro football and the results were predictable.

I don't think he's terrible but I think he's way overrated. He reminds me of Buddy Bell. A good guy who keeps getting chances because he's a good guy and not necessarily a good manager.

macro
01-01-2007, 11:43 PM

That's kinda what I was thinking. A coach that will never win in the NFL again paired up with a franchise that will never win again. What a match! Well, okay, "never" is a long time for the Cardinals to not win, but they're working on it, and have been since, what, 1975? :D

Jpup
01-02-2007, 01:58 AM
Or Norm Chow. I've been hearing his name creep up in head coaching vacancies(notably Atlanta).

take him. :beerme:

remdog
01-02-2007, 02:26 AM
I'd love to see Chow come to the Bengals as the offensive co-ordinator with him moving to head coach if/when Marvin leaves.

Rem

Caveat Emperor
01-02-2007, 02:28 AM

What's the over-under on number of days before he's offered the Alabama gig?

I'm guessing 5.

jmcclain19
01-02-2007, 02:42 AM
If Arizona kept Denny I was not going to re-up my season tickets. Three years of paying thousands to watch that sack of crap on the field is more than enough.

The Monday night game against the Bears still stings as probably the worst moment I can remember as a sports fan.

Green should have been fired on the spot for that disaster.

The only thing the Cards did right this year, besides milking the state out of millions to build an amazing, world class football facility, was making Green play out the string rather than take the easy way out and fire him midway. Make him have keep showing up every week with that pile of garbage he's turned the promise of the 2006 season into.

Yeah - I'm not bitter.

remdog
01-02-2007, 02:51 AM
The Monday night game against the Bears still stings as probably the worst moment I can remember as a sports fan.

Green should have been fired on the spot for that disaster.

I was in Scottsdale when that game was played and I fully expected to see Green fired the next day. I was shocked that they allowed him to simply sacrafice his defensive coordinator.

The only thing the Cards did right this year, besides milking the state out of millions to build an amazing, world class football facility,....

As a tourist, I'm not to thrilled about paying almost 30% tax on my rental cars to support that building. :thumbdown

Rem

jmcclain19
01-02-2007, 03:35 AM
As a tourist, I'm not to thrilled about paying almost 30% tax on my rental cars to support that building. :thumbdown

Rem

Yeah that's a hard one to take. It's easy to pass the buck onto others. On one hand, I am somewhat happy that the tax wasn't totally thrusted on me, but on non residents. I also love that all but one of the State's Spring Training Facilities have been built in the last several years, and the Rox facility has been heavily renovated, mostly with that money. Also all the state's sports teams have brand new stadiums or like the Suns have a newer building that just got a heavy face lift.

But on the other hand, I have family & friends that visit that just get screwed over by the nation's worst travel tax rate on hotels & car rentals. And my wife and I do stay at hotels around the state so we chip our fair amount as well.

Double edged sword. I'd prefer privately financed stadiums no doubt, but that's a debate for another day.

Johnny Footstool
01-02-2007, 12:05 PM
The Cardinals were 4-4 after their bye week this season, and they were competitive in 3 of those losses. Leinert started to build a rapport with his receivers, and the O-line figured out how to block for Edge.

I think they'll be a decent team next year.

Dom Heffner
01-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Denny Green isn't who they they thought he was, apparently.

But the Bears were, definitely. Definitely.