PDA

View Full Version : Harris is now property of Tampa....

jojo
01-02-2007, 04:43 PM
According to Marc Lancaster, Harris has been sent to Tampa for either PTBNL or cash....

flyer85
01-02-2007, 04:49 PM
I can't wait to see who is the next fossil that WK will bring in.

redsupport
01-02-2007, 04:52 PM
he is bringing in a middle reliever named
Apat A. Saurus

Red Leader
01-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Could this be in any way tied to the Josh Hamilton pick?

Could Harris be compensation for the Reds retaining his rights?

edabbs44
01-02-2007, 05:08 PM
WK makes so many moves it baffles me. Someone let me know when a big name happens to be involved in one of them.

reds44
01-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Could this be in any way tied to the Josh Hamilton pick?

Could Harris be compensation for the Reds retaining his rights?
Why would it be? We don't have to give up anything to get Hamilton. In fact, we got him from the Cubs, not the Devil Rays.

Dracodave
01-02-2007, 05:10 PM
WK makes so many moves it baffles me. Someone let me know when a big name happens to be involved in one of them.

Douglas Andrew Mientkiewicz

Big enough name for you? I have a feeling we'll see him in Reds Colors soon.

reds44
01-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Douglas Andrew Mientkiewicz

Big enough name for you? I have a feeling we'll see him in Reds Colors soon.
Why? We're going to carry 3 1st baseman too?

Patrick Bateman
01-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Why would it be? We don't have to give up anything to get Hamilton. In fact, we got him from the Cubs, not the Devil Rays.

So that we could possibly keep his rights even if we put him in the minor leagues. That way we could give him time to develop before thrusting him into the big leagues.

reds44
01-02-2007, 05:13 PM
So that we could possibly keep his rights even if we put him in the minor leagues. That way we could give him time to develop before thrusting him into the big leagues.
He'd also have to pass thru waivers.

Dracodave
01-02-2007, 05:13 PM

Cubs got him from the Devil Rays, during the draft. We paid the Cubs for the pick. Not for his rights.

Red Leader
01-02-2007, 05:23 PM

That's true.

I was just thinking that maybe Harris was compensation to TB for Hamilton's rights. Basically a peace offering saying "decline on our offer to offer him back to you and here's Harris."

He would still have to pass through waivers, though.

redsmetz
01-02-2007, 05:23 PM

No, his Rule 5 rights are retained by the Devil Rays. The responsibility of keeping him on the roster is the Reds, otherwise, he goes back to Tampa Bay, unless compensation is agreed to.

redsmetz
01-02-2007, 05:24 PM

Not if he remains on our 40 man roster. Tampa didn't put him on their 40 man roster, so he was available for picking.

Patrick Bateman
01-02-2007, 05:25 PM

Not if we aquired his rights outright from the D'rays

Red Leader
01-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Not if he remains on our 40 man roster. Tampa didn't put him on their 40 man roster, so he was available for picking.

Not if we aquired his rights outright from the D'rays

So then, if we gave the D-Rays Harris as compensation, Hamilton's rights would be ours and we could send him to the minors without having to pass him through waivers if we put him on our 40 man roster?

Patrick Bateman
01-02-2007, 05:29 PM
So then, if we gave the D-Rays Harris as compensation, Hamilton's rights would be ours and we could send him to the minors without having to pass him through waivers if we put him on our 40 man roster?

Yes, that would be correct.

redsmetz
01-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Of course, all of that said, I'm not certain that the Devil Rays would consider Harris adequate compensation for Hamilton. They indicated they'd want him back if the Reds don't keep him. Then again, they might. With the "PTBNL" route, it may give the Reds the chance to play him, see if he can stick, and if not, work it out for him to be the PTBNL.

IslandRed
01-02-2007, 06:06 PM

He's already on the 40-man. Under normal circumstances, he could be sent down without going through waivers if he had options left. (With Hamilton's career path, I have no idea if he does or doesn't.) But I thought I read somewhere that a player drafted in Rule 5 has to be exposed to waivers before he can be sent down, even if the original club declines to take him back. I'll check.

Degenerate39
01-02-2007, 06:15 PM
So basically we got Bill Bray for Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez.

edabbs44
01-02-2007, 06:20 PM

Don't forget about the 2.5 months of the priceless veteran presence of Royce Clayton, Daryl Thompson and those few Majic moments.

Gallen5862
01-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Tampa can trade us Hamiltons rights and he would not have to pass thru waivers to be sent to the minors as long as he is on the 40 man roster.

Tom Servo
01-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Says Marc: The Rays' GM was pretty adamant that Tampa intended to take Hamilton back if he didn't stick with the Reds. Even if they would trade him, it'd be for more than Harris.

Sounds like we'll have to keep him around for the whole year if the FO likes what they see.

Krusty
01-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Says Marc: The Rays' GM was pretty adamant that Tampa intended to take Hamilton back if he didn't stick with the Reds. Even if they would trade him, it'd be for more than Harris.

Sounds like we'll have to keep him around for the whole year if the FO likes what they see.

Then why deal Harris to Tampa Bay?

puca
01-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Then why deal Harris to Tampa Bay?

Because they were the only ones interested?

Handofdeath
01-02-2007, 07:33 PM
According to Marc Lancaster, Harris has been sent to Tampa for either PTBNL or cash....

Quick, someone give us a list of players in the Devil Rays organization over 35 so we can excitedly pore over the list of possible acquisitions.

fearofpopvol1
01-02-2007, 07:44 PM
This isn't a big loss in my opinion. Harris didn't appear to be anything special. I don't think Harris was ever a centerpiece of the Kearns/Lopez deal anyhow either.

Handofdeath
01-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Please Wayne just take the cash.

flyer85
01-02-2007, 08:25 PM
I don't think Harris was ever a centerpiece of the Kearns/Lopez deal anyhow either.I'm not sure anyone was

savafan
01-02-2007, 08:45 PM

Great trade for Bowden.

flyer85
01-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Great trade for Bowden.It was a OK trade for WK. We got 5 and they only got 3.

MartyFan
01-02-2007, 09:54 PM

No...we go Bray, Majic and Cash for Kearns and Lopez.

Tom Servo
01-02-2007, 10:00 PM
We also got Daryl "Big Train" Thompson.

redsmetz
01-02-2007, 10:05 PM

That's assuming that Gary Majewski is broken and can't be fixed, and it also assumes we get nothing for Brandon Harris. We all knew that Clayton was a throw in and wouldn't be back this year. If Majewski's healthy (and we're told he is), then I have no reason to believe he won't perform.

Z-Fly
01-03-2007, 08:06 AM
I thought we also got one of their better pitching prospects or am I mistaken?

redsmetz
01-03-2007, 09:22 AM
We also received Daryl Thompson who only pitched 14 innings for the GCL Reds with a 2.58 ERA. But I'm scratching my head because the stats say he started four of the five games he appeared in.

I did find this interesting BA article on him from back in March, 2005

VIERA, Fla.--You can't blame a 19-year-old if he doesn't remember Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd's pitching days, even if his body type, mound presence and overall feel for pitching remind scouts of the former big league righthander.

"I didn't even know who Oil Can Boyd was," Nationals righthander Daryl Thompson said, "until I read that in Baseball America. Then I went back and found out exactly. Since I never heard of him and it was in there, I needed to know."

It doesn't help that Thompson grew up a Red Sox fan, although he gets a pass for missing arguably Boyd's best season with the Sox in 1986 when he went 16-10, 3.78 in 214 innings--he was only one.

"He's like that," Nationals farm director Adam Wogan said. "He's wiry strong and his frame is very projectable. He's like Oil Can now in that he locates his fastball well and changes speeds on it. He should continue to grow and add more strength as he fills out."

All of which paints an intriguing picture in the organization looking for another impact arm to go along with lefthander Mike Hinckley, who will start in Triple-A New Orleans, and righthander Clint Everts, who will miss this season because of Tommy John surgery.

Boyd was 6-foot-1, 155 pounds in his prime, and Thompson is listed at 6-foot-1, 170 (though he says he's more like 5-foot-11). Oil Can made his debut with the Sox at age 23, but Thompson could make get to the majors sooner.

An eighth-round pick out of La Plata (Md.) High, Thompson is very athletic with a quick arm and a loose, easy delivery. His feel for pitching and his makeup are remarkable for such a young pitcher. Thompson was the youngest pitcher in the South Atlantic League last season, when he went 4-9, 5.08 in 103 innings for low Class A Savannah.

Despite those less than stellar numbers, Thompson pushed for the high Class A Potomac roster this spring, though he is slated to begin the year back in Savannah.

"He's a great young arm with an outstanding fastball," Wogan said. "It has a lot of life to it and he pitches inside really well. He pitched better than those numbers indicate, but we felt it was the right move to have him start back in Savannah and build on his accomplishments."

And also to refine the depth on his changeup, which he hardly used in 2004. Thompson has bought in to the Nationals game plan of getting him to use his fastball both inside and outside and continue to develop his breaking stuff.

"I used to be afraid to pitch inside, because I was worried that I'd either be thinking about it too much and leave it out over the plate or I'd hit somebody," he said. "Either way, I did damage to myself. Now, I don't even think about it."

Thompson's fastball tops out at 94 mph, and being able to use that pitch on the inside corner, as well as his advanced secondary pitches, should have him in high Class A Potomac by midseason.

"If I can hit 94 on the outside corner and then come back and hit 94 on the inside corner, plus use my changeup and curveball in that mix, I can have some real success," he said. "I'm glad to be going back to Savannah to build on what I did last year. I need to prove that I can handle that and then we'll go from there.

"I'm in no rush, because I'm just working to be the best pitcher I can be with the best stuff I can have. I wanted to move up, but I understand it and I'm not disappointed at all."

registerthis
01-03-2007, 11:00 AM

Which is still terrible.

redsupport
01-03-2007, 11:09 AM
it is terrible, but it is scrappy

Z-Fly
01-03-2007, 12:16 PM
We also received Daryl Thompson who only pitched 14 innings for the GCL Reds with a 2.58 ERA. But I'm scratching my head because the stats say he started four of the five games he appeared in.

I did find this interesting BA article on him from back in March, 2005

Thanks Redsmetz.

Bigredfan#1
01-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Hamilton has to stay on the 25 man roster or be offered back to TBay for
25K. If the Reds can get Hamilton for Harris I think that would be great!!

RedsManRick
01-03-2007, 04:07 PM
As soon as I saw The Trade go down, my first though was, Krivsky must REALLY like Daryl Thompson. Time will tell if it's justified.