PDA

View Full Version : Lance Is On Fire Today

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
01-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Look for the Cleveland Browns to come after Ohio State coach Jim Tressel if the Buckeyes win the national title. A clause in Tressel's seven-year, $17.1 million contract signed last May voids the package if he wins a national title. The Browns likely would double Tressel's average annual salary of $2.45 million and give one of football's best coaches another challenge after two national titles in his past five seasons in Columbus. Tressel, a Berea, Ohio, native who grew up a Browns fan, also has a $1 million buyout in his current contract. Tressel says he's happy in the college game, but one thing is certain: If OSU wins the national title, Tressel soon will be the highest-paid coach in college football ($3 million-plus per year) or one of the highest-paid in the NFL. . .

flyer85
01-02-2007, 06:02 PM
I have a hard time seeing Tressel leave OSU for an NFL job. I can see him getting a new deal in the range that Bama is talking about with Saban.

buckeyenut
01-02-2007, 06:12 PM
No way Tressel leaves OSU. He is in his dream job, has OSU running like a finely tuned machine and will make more than enough money. Why would he leave? He is a teacher and while he would do great in pros, he would not be happy.

traderumor
01-02-2007, 06:13 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52086&highlight=tressel+browns

gonelong
01-03-2007, 12:47 AM
Lance has only ever been on fire in the "Liar Liar pants on fire" sense.

GL

Yachtzee
01-03-2007, 01:18 AM
Self-immolation?

forfreelin04
01-03-2007, 04:37 AM
As much as I would hate to see Tressel leave OSU I think he has proven himself as a college coach worthy of a shot at an NFL coaching job. I hope Mr. Tressel would realize what he is getting into in Cleveland though. Over the many years, it has become ever so apparent to me that the Browns or an almost cursed franchise in sports. Evidence of the much maligned turmoil the organization and the team has faced has been traumatic. Art Modells movement of the team to Baltimore and the awful Ernerst Byner fumble and subsequent Elway drive would surely attest to this. Surely, a somewhat curse needs to summoned in almost comparison to the Cubs or the Red Sox. However, I do think Tressel, especially if he wins another National Championship this year, deserves a legitmate shot at coaching a pro team. He's earned that right.

LoganBuck
01-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Tressel will not go to Cleveland. OSU will pay him more, he has more power as OSU head coach, and quite frankly the Browns are a total mess. Without an organizational overhaul, he would just be next in line to fail. Butch Davis had a successful college run, and he failed. Why would JT do any better than Davis in Cleveland, or Nick Saban in Miami?

Red Leader
01-03-2007, 11:31 AM
It is curious that Tressel had an "out-clause" put into his contract that IF Ohio State wins a National Championship his contract signed last year (2006) is null and void, and a new contract has to be negotiated. It also states that if he chooses to leave, he leaves willingly, and no compensation is required for him leaving after that National Championship win.

In other words, if Ohio State wins next Monday, Tressel is essentially a free agent.

Team Clark
01-03-2007, 11:47 AM
I sure would not mind seeing Romeo Crennel as the Bengals Defensive Coordinator.

Joseph
01-03-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm by no means an OSU fan, but I understand the correlation that exists between it and a certain basketball program at the University of Kentucky. Not specifically in a snapshot of this moment in time, but speaking overall about the histories.

So for those of you saying that Tressel would never leave for a crappy NFL job, please remember a certain Rick Pitino at UK. He had arguably the best NCAA job there was. He could almost write his own contract. He was revered statewide and respected universally. There was no way he would leave for a franchise that was down on it's luck, no matter how much history it had.

For those of you who don't remember the story, or who have blocked it out, Rick went to Boston.

Jim might leave too, for a similarly downtrodden franchise with a lot of tradition. If the price is right.

kaldaniels
01-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Tressel will not go to Cleveland. OSU will pay him more, he has more power as OSU head coach, and quite frankly the Browns are a total mess. Without an organizational overhaul, he would just be next in line to fail. Butch Davis had a successful college run, and he failed. Why would JT do any better than Davis in Cleveland, or Nick Saban in Miami?

My friend, if this came to fruition, Cleveland could outbid OSU. No way OSU would be able to outbid Cleveland in a bidding war. Not that this will happen.

LoganBuck
01-03-2007, 01:30 PM
My friend, if this came to fruition, Cleveland could outbid OSU. No way OSU would be able to outbid Cleveland in a bidding war. Not that this will happen.

Sorry Charlie, OSU has deeper pockets than Cleveland. Whether they would want to be that reckless with their money is up for them. Remember OSU is the biggest sports entity income wise in the state of Ohio, they dwarf Cleveland and Cincinnati regardless of sport. Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Florida, and Florida State are on par or exceeding most pro teams for income. If Alabama can come up with that much coin to buy out Shula, and to pay for Saban, Ohio State can more than exceed that amount.

Jim Tressel's contract was torn up after the last 2003 Fiesta Bowl as well. He had the same clause then.

kaldaniels
01-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Sorry Charlie, OSU has deeper pockets than Cleveland. Whether they would want to be that reckless with their money is up for them. Remember OSU is the biggest sports entity income wise in the state of Ohio, they dwarf Cleveland and Cincinnati regardless of sport. Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Florida, and Florida State are on par or exceeding most pro teams for income. If Alabama can come up with that much coin to buy out Shula, and to pay for Saban, Ohio State can more than exceed that amount.

Jim Tressel's contract was torn up after the last 2003 Fiesta Bowl as well. He had the same clause then.

Does the name Randy Lerner ring a bell...c'mon. No limit to the amount he could spend. So I must say, sorry Charlie.

CrackerJack
01-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Sorry Charlie, OSU has deeper pockets than Cleveland.

Really? They have a $100 million + salary cap to work with, where the coaches' salary isn't affected by it either? A billion dollar TV deal? The ability to spend all of their profits as they see fit on personnel?

OSU's administration would have no issue getting into a bidding war with the NFL over a coach's salary?

Hmm, not sure about that.

LoganBuck
01-03-2007, 04:31 PM
The Browns don't make a billion dollars, and that salary cap doesn't give them tons of profits to pay coaches. Mike Holmgren is the highest paid coach in the league, and if I am not mistaken he has total control of that organization. He makes $8 million. The Steelers offered Cowher $6.5 million to stay, and be the second highest paid coach. How many Superbowl rings does JT have? Alabama just hired Saban away from the mighty Dolphins of the NFL for $4 million. Ohio State can easily beat that. Can the Browns afford to pay that to a coach whose schtick would probably not fly in the NFL, and has no experience with the NFL game? Steve Spurrier, Butch Davis, and Nick Saban spring to mind as examples of why an NFL team should not even bother going after a college guy.

kaldaniels
01-03-2007, 04:37 PM
The Browns don't make a billion dollars, and that salary cap doesn't give them tons of profits to pay coaches. Mike Holmgren is the highest paid coach in the league, and if I am not mistaken he has total control of that organization. He makes $8 million. The Steelers offered Cowher $6.5 million to stay, and be the second highest paid coach. How many Superbowl rings does JT have? Alabama just hired Saban away from the mighty Dolphins of the NFL for $4 million. Ohio State can easily beat that. Can the Browns afford to pay that to a coach whose schtick would probably not fly in the NFL, and has no experience with the NFL game? Steve Spurrier, Butch Davis, and Nick Saban spring to mind as examples of why an NFL team should not even bother going after a college guy.

To answer your question, yes, the Browns could afford it. The right decision in my mind, no. But, they could afford it.

Red Leader
01-03-2007, 04:46 PM
If he's their man, he's their man. They will pay whatever it takes to get their man. The question is, does Tressel want to take a shot at the NFL? That's the question that needs answered because we know the Browns are interested, we know they have the money to pay him. If that's what Tressel wants to do, there's nothing standing in the way (assuming that he wins next Monday). If Ohio State doesn't win the MNC game, Tressel is still under contract. Only a National Championship win voids the contract. So, this all may become a moot point next Tuesday.

LoganBuck
01-03-2007, 04:48 PM
To answer your question, yes, the Browns could afford it. The right decision in my mind, no. But, they could afford it.

"Afford" does not refer to the money. It refers to another three year investment in cellar dwelling. I love Jim Tressel I feel he is a perfect college coach. I just don't think he translates to the NFL. Your ideal NFL coach is a workaholic, egomaniac, who oozes self confidence. Look around the league, Bill Parcells, Bill Billichek, Bill Cowher, Marvin Lewis, Marty Schottenheimer, Tony Dungy, I find very few parallels between Jim Tressel and that group.

Red Leader
01-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Your ideal NFL coach is a workaholic, egomaniac, who oozes self confidence.

You don't think any of those qualities exist in Jim Tressel? Man, I'm not even an Ohio State fan and I can tell you that you're wrong. He may not be as brash or showy as some of the coaches you named, but he certainly has all of the qualities above. And I think Tony Dungy is a good comp for Tressel. Very calm, under control, and centered. Never too high, never too low.

LoganBuck
01-03-2007, 04:55 PM
I am not saying he is lazy and plays golf all day. Watch a press conference of Tressel's for awhile. He is more of a father to his players, than a field general. NFL teams need generals, and kicks in the butt, not hugs and pats on the butt.

kaldaniels
01-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Here's my point...

As said above, if the Browns want Tressel...outbidding OSU is not going to be the issue. Pros and college are 2 different ballgames dollarwise...Saban just pulled the college coaches closer, but they are still worlds apart. But to think the Browns couldn't come up with the dollars to beat OSU's offer is foolish. What we probably should assume though, is that Tressel will want alot more money to leave and coach at Cleveland. Can Clev top OSU's offer, of course. Will he accept, I doubt it.

My other points/opinions-
1)This will not happen
2)You are correct, Tressel could not thrive in the NFL as he does at OSU
3)Tressel/Agent will probably use this to get more dollars, don't cringe at this, everyone coach out there would do the same
4)Cleveland already has a head coach, as of now it is all meaningless discussion

Tom Servo
01-03-2007, 05:01 PM
I am not saying he is lazy and plays golf all day. Watch a press conference of Tressel's for awhile. He is more of a father to his players, than a field general. NFL teams need generals, and kicks in the butt, not hugs and pats on the butt.
That's definatly a big difference between the two. Just ask Steve Spurrier how much team discipline matters in the NFL.

Red Leader
01-03-2007, 05:01 PM

He's more of a father figure because that's what his current job entails.

I don't want to argue this because I don't know what Jim Tressel wants to do. I'm not Jim Tressel. I will say however, that if Jim Tressel wants to coach in the NFL, there will be owners and organizations that will be more than happy to let him do just that.

Whether or not I think he'll be successful is irrelevant (although I personally do think he would be successful - it's hard for me to imagine him taking a job and NOT being successful). Anyway, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about his chance to be successful, if he wants to do it, he's going to do it.

Red Leader
01-03-2007, 05:10 PM
I will also add that Jim Tressel is not an idiot.

He added that clause to his contract (if he wins the National Championship his contract is null and void) for a couple reasons I'd guess. 1) is to get more money from OSU. 2) is to become a free agent and take advantage of opportunities that might interest him. He's basically cashing in every possible way he can. He knows if he wins a NC teams are going to be interested in talking to him (college and NFL). He also knows that he could get more money if he wants to stay.

It was a very smart thing for him to do. He's keeping all of his options open. I find it hard to believe that he would put that clause in there if he truly planned on being OSU's coach for length of the contract (2012). Why would he? If that's the job he wants, why put the clause in there? Because it gives him a choice. It gives him the option to leave if that's what he wants to do. He may decide that now is not the time he wants to leave and re-negotiate a contract with OSU (if they win). I don't doubt that could happen. I'm just saying, if OSU wins, and Jim Tressel decides he wants to leave for the NFL, he's going to leave for the NFL.

LoganBuck
01-03-2007, 05:17 PM
I will also add that Jim Tressel is not an idiot.

He added that clause to his contract (if he wins the National Championship his contract is null and void) for a couple reasons I'd guess. 1) is to get more money from OSU. 2) is to become a free agent and take advantage of opportunities that might interest him. He's basically cashing in every possible way he can. He knows if he wins a NC teams are going to be interested in talking to him (college and NFL). He also knows that he could get more money if he wants to stay.

It was a very smart thing for him to do. He's keeping all of his options open. I find it hard to believe that he would put that clause in there if he truly planned on being OSU's coach for length of the contract (2012). Why would he? If that's the job he wants, why put the clause in there? Because it gives him a choice. It gives him the option to leave if that's what he wants to do. He may decide that now is not the time he wants to leave and re-negotiate a contract with OSU (if they win). I don't doubt that could happen. I'm just saying, if OSU wins, and Jim Tressel decides he wants to leave for the NFL, he's going to leave for the NFL.

True, but I have heard this story report verbatim on ESPN radio, and elsewhere. They point being is that this same thing happened after he won the title in January 2003, the rumours flew then about the Browns, and nothing ever happened. Just like Pete Carroll going to Arizona, it is becoming a yearly story.

Red Leader
01-03-2007, 05:18 PM
True, but I have heard this story report verbatim on ESPN radio, and elsewhere. They point being is that this same thing happened after he won the title in January 2003, the rumours flew then about the Browns, and nothing ever happened. Just like Pete Carroll going to Arizona, it is becoming a yearly story.

Well, I guess he should just stay out of the National Championship game and everything would be fine. :p: :D :laugh:

:beerme: :beerme:

MWM
01-03-2007, 06:26 PM
One thing I think is intruguing is that Tressel was not a hot up and coming coordinator from a big name school. He was at YS for a long time and you never heard his name mentioned as a candidate for other jobs. I had heard the guys' name before, but htat's about it. I was surprised when I found out he was being considered for OSU. I'm sure he was courted for MAC jobs, but he either chose to stay at Youngstown or was never offered a job. Then he went straight from I-AA to one of the elite programs in the country. You don't see that very often if ever. The Urban Meyer MAC to MWC to SEC is usually the normal coaching path.

It makes me wonder why more big name schools don't go down to lower division ranks and get the prime time coaches as opposed to getting coordinators who you don't know if they have the leadership capabilities to be the man in charge instead of the technical mastermind. A guy like Tressel obviously knew how to coach and lead a program to national prominence, even if it was at a lower level. When it comes to coaching and leading a program, I wonder how difference their is in the ability to do it one division verus another. It's all still college "students" competing against other college students of similar talent levels. As long as a highly successful head coach can still get talent as good or better than the relative competition, I would think they could produce similar results.

If I were an AD I think I might be more inclined to go after someone who's been a successful head coach at a lower level than someone who's played second fiddle to someone else and who may or may not be able to be the guy in charge.

kaldaniels
01-03-2007, 06:31 PM
One thing I think is intruguing is that Tressel was not a hot up and coming coordinator from a big name school. He was at YS for a long time and you never heard his name mentioned as a candidate for other jobs. I had heard the guys' name before, but htat's about it. I was surprised when I found out he was being considered for OSU. I'm sure he was courted for MAC jobs, but he either chose to stay at Youngstown or was never offered a job. Then he went straight from I-AA to one of the elite programs in the country. You don't see that very often if ever. The Urban Meyer MAC to MWC to SEC is usually the normal coaching path.

It makes me wonder why more big name schools don't go down to lower division ranks and get the prime time coaches as opposed to getting coordinators who you don't know if they have the leadership capabilities to be the man in charge instead of the technical mastermind. A guy like Tressel obviously knew how to coach and lead a program to national prominence, even if it was at a lower level. When it comes to coaching and leading a program, I wonder how difference their is in the ability to do it one division verus another. It's all still college "students" competing against other college students of similar talent levels. As long as a highly successful head coach can still get talent as good or better than the relative competition, I would think they could produce similar results.

If I were an AD I think I might be more inclined to go after someone who's been a successful head coach at a lower level than someone who's played second fiddle to someone else and who may or may not be able to be the guy in charge.

Remember though, it was reported "The U" offered Tressel the job.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=6324234&BRD=1699&PAG=461&dept_id=46370&rfi=6

MWM
01-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Hadn't heard that. Maybe he was courted and I just never heard his name. I still think it's an interesting precedent with the level of success he's had. But his big advantage is that he's been around high school football in the state of Ohio for so long that he had a huge advantage over any of the other candidates in recruiting.

WVRed
01-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Here's my point...

As said above, if the Browns want Tressel...outbidding OSU is not going to be the issue. Pros and college are 2 different ballgames dollarwise...Saban just pulled the college coaches closer, but they are still worlds apart. But to think the Browns couldn't come up with the dollars to beat OSU's offer is foolish. What we probably should assume though, is that Tressel will want alot more money to leave and coach at Cleveland. Can Clev top OSU's offer, of course. Will he accept, I doubt it.

My other points/opinions-
1)This will not happen
2)You are correct, Tressel could not thrive in the NFL as he does at OSU
3)Tressel/Agent will probably use this to get more dollars, don't cringe at this, everyone coach out there would do the same
4)Cleveland already has a head coach, as of now it is all meaningless discussion

If i'm Tressel and I win the National Championship, I would be taking full advantage of this given the insane contract given to Nick Saban. Tressel has been to two national championship games, whereas Saban has only been to one.

And don't say that Tressel will take a hometown discount either or that his heart is with the Buckeyes when the pro teams come a courtin. See Rich Rodriguez.

For the record, Joseph hit the nail on the head with the Pitino reference. IIRC, there were people in Kentucky who claimed that the Cats could match any offer made by the Celtics. Its all a matter of whether or not Tressel wants to make a bigger name for himself and Cleveland can offer him that.

MWM
01-03-2007, 06:38 PM
I also readily admit that until this year I was no fan of Tressel. I didn't like his coaching style and thought that the 2002 run was as much lucky as anything else. But I coudn't stand Tressel ball, playing not to lose. The Texas game last year had me so irritated that I actually started looking forward to when the Tressel era was over. I thought he blew that game in a big way (and still feel that way). I didn't think his offensive style of play was suitable for sustainable success. But he completely proved me wrong this year and showed that he's willing to open things up and be agressive when he's got the talent to do it. I just hope it's a sign of things to come and not a one time thing. My opinion of him as a coach has completely changed this year.

WMR
01-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Not to mention Pitino was given a 5% stake in the Celtics, IIRC. No college can match that.

Chip R
01-03-2007, 07:03 PM

It makes me wonder why more big name schools don't go down to lower division ranks and get the prime time coaches as opposed to getting coordinators who you don't know if they have the leadership capabilities to be the man in charge instead of the technical mastermind.

Jim Donnan went from Marshall to Georgia and Terry Allen went from Northern Iowa to Kansas. Neither one was very successful at 1-A and both were fired. John L. Smith was at Idaho then went to LOU and then MSU but he got the boot at MSU too. Donnan had a track record at Marshall on a par with Tressel at YSU. It took a lot of guts to hire Tressel because he was a 1-AA guy. I think hiring a 1-AA guy is a tougher sell to the alums and players than a hot coordinator from a 1-A school. No matter how much success they had at 1-AA people view it as him achieving that success at a lower level and there's not much of a chance he'd be successful in 1-A while the hot coordinator did it at the highest level. Tressel seems to be the exception to that belief.

MWM
01-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Jim Donnan went from Marshall to Georgia and Terry Allen went from Northern Iowa to Kansas. Neither one was very successful at 1-A and both were fired. John L. Smith was at Idaho then went to LOU and then MSU but he got the boot at MSU too. Donnan had a track record at Marshall on a par with Tressel at YSU. It took a lot of guts to hire Tressel because he was a 1-AA guy. I think hiring a 1-AA guy is a tougher sell to the alums and players than a hot coordinator from a 1-A school. No matter how much success they had at 1-AA people view it as him achieving that success at a lower level and there's not much of a chance he'd be successful in 1-A while the hot coordinator did it at the highest level. Tressel seems to be the exception to that belief.

It's possible Tressel was an anomaly. But it also sounds like Donnan is the only one who had a similar track record at lower levels than did Tressel. And the one thing that sets him apart is that he was so plugged in to the recruiting pipeline in Ohio that it made the transistion much easier. I think that might have been the biggest factor in Tressel's success in recruiting. He's owned the state of Ohio. Smith was pretty successful at Louisville and I don't think many people could be successful at MSU. There are just too many obstacels. That's why Saban left. And Smith is a native of Idaho and then went to the midwest where he didn't have any recruiting contacts. I would think that the recruiting connections would be a big factor in determining the liklihood of a 1-AA coach making the leap.

Chip R
01-03-2007, 07:46 PM
I would think that the recruiting connections would be a big factor in determining the liklihood of a 1-AA coach making the leap.

You might be right. Maybe that's why Donnan wasn't successful at Georgia because he didn't have the contacts in Georgia and Florida since he coached in West Virginia. Plus his best recruit - Randy Moss - went there cause Notre Dame and Florida St. didn't like his legal problems. But most every kid who plays football in Ohio wants to play for OSU if OSU will have them. That's not to say signing these guys is as easy as falling off a log but anyone who is the head coach at OSU has a good shot at getting their foot in the door. But it takes a lot more than recruiting the state of Ohio successfully to be a success. You have to recruit nationally as well.

Heath
01-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Arguably Paul Johnson went from Georgia Southern to Navy, and the Middies have been pretty good over the past few years.

GAC should enter his two-cents again - the Browns contingency arrives -

Jim Tressel is not going to Cleveland except to recruit for Ohio State. Tressel's King of Columbus right now (and most of the state). He's not old enough to retire.

Romeo Crennel has one year left. I am afraid he's going to use it. He will make changes on the offensive side of the ball and it will be someone with extensive offensive skills.

Unless...

Jon Gruden gets fired in Tampa Bay - or - reaches a mutual "parting". Then Randy Lerner needs to get the guy with the fire up his rear and use Todd Grantham as a younger Monte Kiffin.

Heath
01-03-2007, 09:46 PM
You might be right. Maybe that's why Donnan wasn't successful at Georgia because he didn't have the contacts in Georgia and Florida since he coached in West Virginia. Plus his best recruit - Randy Moss - went there cause Notre Dame and Florida St. didn't like his legal problems. But most every kid who plays football in Ohio wants to play for OSU if OSU will have them. That's not to say signing these guys is as easy as falling off a log but anyone who is the head coach at OSU has a good shot at getting their foot in the door. But it takes a lot more than recruiting the state of Ohio successfully to be a success. You have to recruit nationally as well.

IMO, Jim Donnan was too self-depreciating and lost too many big games when he was at Georgia. He was 40-19 in 4 years - but he went "Cooper" on Florida & Georgia Tech. He was the stop-gap from the horrible Ray Goff years transitioned into Mark Richt.

LoganBuck
01-03-2007, 11:56 PM

The speculation is that Mount Union's coach Larry Kehres has turned down multiple DI offers to remain at Mt Union over the last few years. Their isn't a coach in the country that can match his pedigree. http://www.muc.edu/athletics/men_s_teams/football/head_coach_larry_kehres__1

kaldaniels
01-04-2007, 12:39 AM
The speculation is that Mount Union's coach Larry Kehres has turned down multiple DI offers to remain at Mt Union over the last few years. Their isn't a coach in the country that can match his pedigree. http://www.muc.edu/athletics/men_s_teams/football/head_coach_larry_kehres__1

I have no doubt Kehres hat has been in many rings...as a DIII follower, I'm just curious....any idea what programs have been interested in Larry.

GridironGrace
01-04-2007, 01:06 AM
I dont see tressel leaving.. but who knows til he says i guess

I bet he's on the sidelines for ohio st for a LONG TIME though .. dont see him wanting to coach in the NFL.. Yet

MWM
01-04-2007, 01:17 AM
I have no doubt Kehres hat has been in many rings...as a DIII follower, I'm just curious....any idea what programs have been interested in Larry.

A guy I work very closely with played for St. John's in 2000 when they lost to Mt. Union in the finals. I've learned a lot about DIII football sitting next to him.

Red Leader
01-04-2007, 10:45 AM
As I said on another thread, my in-laws live in Alliance (where Mt. Union college is located). They've said that he's been offered jobs from MAC schools, and also schools in the Big East, Big 12, WAC, and ACC and turned them all down. The only conferences I haven't heard his name mentioned are the Big 10 and PAC 10. He doesn't want to leave there. I don't blame him.