PDA

View Full Version : All Breakout Team

TRF
01-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Ok, here is a fun, maybe way to occupy some time. Make two teams, one for each league, comprised of players you think will have "breakout" seasons. Include starters at each position, 1 LHP and 1 RHP starter. omit relievers and closers.

ready? go.

TRF
01-03-2007, 06:43 PM
In the NL:

I'll be adding players after some research:

C Ronnie Paulino - Good OBP numbers, but about as much power as my 8 year old daughter. If he develops any power to go with that OBP, he could be a force behind the plate.
1B Fielder - That was a pretty impressive rookie year.
2B FeLo - I think he makes the rest of the league take notice that he's a premier leadoff hitter.
3B Edwin Encarnacion - 500 PA's and nearly 30 HR's will make him the breakout 3B.
SS Stephen Drew - oy flippin vey!
RF Carlos Quentin - 9 HR's in 166 AB's. Hot streak or a sign of things to come?
CF I'm beginning to wonder if there is a breakout CF. Deno if Jr. moves to right?
LF Josh Willingham - 2006 May have been his breakout year, but 2007 could really put him on the map. I'd also keep an eye on Chris Duncan. That is one freakish build.
LHP Zack Duke
RHP Anthony Reyes

RedsManRick
01-03-2007, 07:02 PM
I don't have time for a full team, but I'll throw a few out:

C:
1B: Prince Fielder - Could hit 40 HR at just 23
2B: Howie Kendrick - .361/.405/.570 in the minors - think Soriano, but actually 23, a better glove, and more contact. Felipe Lopez like speed.
SS: Stephen Drew
3B: EE - All aboard! Alex Gordon is a close 2nd but might be a year away.
LF Matt Murton - Cubs wouldn't know solid production if it bit them in the face. Reminds me of a young Bobby Abreu minus the speed.
CF
RF

SP Cole Hamels - After the AS last year; 87.2 IP, 101 SO, 24 BB, 3.39 ERA, 1.10 WHIP -- just turned 23. Think Roy Oswalt levels of performance.
P
P

TheBigLebowski
01-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Hmmm...I, like you, will start now and fill in as I go.

C: Brian McCann. Establishes himself as the premier offensive C in the NL.
1B: Sceff Coberg. He plays the game the right way.
2B: Rickie Weeks. I think he makes the first of many ASG's this year.
3B: EE - duh.
SS: Hanley Ramirez. He breaks through as an official "superstar" this year.
OF: Andre Ethier or Matt Kemp, whichever gets the most AB's. Both studs.
OF: Matt Holliday. Will have a mammoth year.
OF: Delmon Young. An idiot, but a total stud.
P: Homer Bailey. Duh.
P: Matt Garza. Like this guy a lot.
P: Scott Kazmir. Possible Cy Young candidate.
P: Felix Hernandez. Some of the best stuff I've ever seen.

edabbs44
01-03-2007, 09:09 PM
C: Joe Mauer (I know...that one's a stretch. But the power happens this year), Russell Martin

1B: Adrian Gonzalez, Conor Jackson, James Loney (Couldn't find anyone in AL I liked, so here's three NL)

2B: Howie Kendrick, Rickie Weeks

SS: Bobby Crosby, Khalil Greene

3B: Andy Marte, EdE

OF: Alex Rios, Nick Markakis, Delmon Young
Jeremy Hermida, Willy Taveras, Josh Willingham

LHP: Jeremy Sowers, Rich Hill

RHP: Brandon McCarthy, Brett Myers (here comes the BIG year)

mth123
01-03-2007, 09:20 PM

C:
1B:
OF:
OF:
OF:
P:

C - Chris Iannetta
1B - Fielder
2B - Weeks
3B - EE
SS - Zobrist
OF - Brad Wilkerson
OF - Chris Burke
OF - Brad Hawpe
LP - Jonathon Sanchez
RP - David Bush

Brewers are the Tigers of 2007.

flyer85
01-03-2007, 09:35 PM
RP - King Felix
LP - Cole Hamels
C - Laird
1B - Cecil Jr
2B - Kinsler
SS - Drew
3B - Gordon
OF - Quentin
OF - Hart
OF - Baldelli

I think Denorfia will if he gets the chance.

Falls City Beer
01-03-2007, 09:50 PM
P--Jeremy Sowers
RP--Cordero (Brewers)
2B--Felipe Lopez
1st--Shealy

While I recognize that at least two of the players above have had good seasons already, I don't think their names have reached critical mass in the baseball world. I think F. Cordero and Lopez are primed for monster seasons, particularly Cordero, who I think will save a ton of games for the Brewers--possibly leading them to their first division title. They seem prepped for it. We shall see if Sheets can stay healthy.

mth123
01-03-2007, 09:58 PM
P--Jeremy Sowers
RP--Cordero (Brewers)
2B--Felipe Lopez
1st--Shealy

Good call on shealy

WMR
01-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Yup, FCB, FeLo will shine @ 2B this season, IMO.

3B - EE better have a BIG season, b/c we're in deep doo-doo (err, deepER doo-doo?) if he doesn't

CF - Put Deno in CF for an entire season and he won't disappoint

Topcat
01-04-2007, 04:27 AM
p-Sowers
1b-Fielder
2b-Kendrick
SS-Zobrist
3b-Gordon
OF-Lind
OF- Cory Hart
OF-Adam Jones
C- Russ Martin

others for consideration .......................... Homer Bailey, Joe Saunders, Mike Napoli, Stephen Drew,

TRF
01-04-2007, 11:37 AM
And in the AL:

C Mike Napoli - He's the starter now for the Angels. Good power and a decent OBP
1B Ryan Garko
2B Kinsler
3B Part of me wants to say Blalock even though he's had good seasons, but I'll go with Teahen
SS Jason Bartlett
RF WMP - 5th in the AL in HR's by a RF, though some of those came while he was in CF.
CF Granderson
LF Melky Cabrera
LHP Scott Kazmir - If he's healthy, I'd say 180+ IP might make him the best LHP in the AL next year.
RHP Dan Haren - He might be better than Harden this year.

M2
01-04-2007, 12:55 PM
NL

C - Chris Snyder
1B -
2B - Willie Aybar
SS - Khalil Greene
3B -
OF - Corey Hart
OF - Chris Denorfia
OF - Carlos Quentin
SP - Anthony Reyes
SP - Rich Hill
SP - Ian Snell

AL

C - Jeff Mathis
1B - Ryan Garko
2B - Esteban German
SS -
3B - B.J. Upton
OF - Nick Markakis
OF - Joey Gathright
OF - Willy Mo Pena
SP - Joe Blanton
SP - Jorge de la Rose
SP - Daniel Cabrera

TRF
01-04-2007, 12:58 PM
I had forgotten about Upton. I didn't realize they moved him from SS.

M2
01-04-2007, 01:11 PM
I had forgotten about Upton. I didn't realize they moved him from SS.

He's only 22 even though it seems like he's been around forever. Kid's got a big future.

I think the D-Rays are nuts for having moved him to 3B, but what do you want from an organization that's re-defining futility?

TheBigLebowski
01-04-2007, 01:29 PM

C: Brian McCann. Establishes himself as the premier offensive C in the NL.
1B: Sceff Coberg. He plays the game the right way.
OF: Andre Ethier or Matt Kemp, whichever gets the most AB's. Both studs.
OF: Matt Holliday. Will have a mammoth year.
OF: Delmon Young. An idiot, but a total stud.
P: Scott Kazmir. Possible Cy Young candidate.

There you have it. Sorry I didn't do it exactly as prescribed.

flyer85
01-04-2007, 01:40 PM
I had forgotten about Upton. I didn't realize they moved him from SS.... supposedly he is an OF now. The Eggs sign Iwamura to a 3 yr ~8M deal to play 3b.

TRF
01-04-2007, 01:44 PM
... supposedly he is an OF now. The Eggs sign Iwamura to a 3 yr ~8M deal to play 3b.

Man that organization is downright confusing. I'd trade them AGon and Milton for Upton and pay all the 2007 salary too!

flyer85
01-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Man that organization is downright confusing. I'd trade them AGon and Milton for Upton and pay all the 2007 salary too!as long as you realize he has been averaging 50+ errors a year at SS. I think the Eggs have reached the conclusion he just isn't going to cut it as a SS or a 3B.

edabbs44
01-04-2007, 04:04 PM
as long as you realize he has been averaging 50+ errors a year at SS. I think the Eggs have reached the conclusion he just isn't going to cut it as a SS or a 3B.

Griffey's replacement.
Griffey's replacement.
Griffey's replacement.

M2
01-04-2007, 05:04 PM
as long as you realize he has been averaging 50+ errors a year at SS. I think the Eggs have reached the conclusion he just isn't going to cut it as a SS or a 3B.

I've simultaneously reached the conclusion that the Rays' greatest failing is instructional incompetence, which is saying something because that organization has a nearly infinite list of failings.

In fact, with each year I gain greater appreciation for the massive differentiator that is good instruction. It's completely undermined Tampa's plan to build through youth. Their young talent has consistently underachieved. The Reds have suffered from a similar woe. Reds system products have spent the better part of a decade not getting all that close to their ceilings. Adam Dunn, for all the things he does right, should be a much better-rounded player. There's no reason a kid with Edwin Encarnacion's skills shouldn't be an excellent defender. We'll see if he can realize that potential. Gookie Dawkins, who seemingly had everything you'd want in a SS prospect, fizzled into nothingness. That's just the tip of an iceberg and I haven't even broached the subject of pitching.

Arizona, which has an absolute ton of young talent arriving at the moment, will probably rise or fall based on how well it instructed those kids. Say what you will about the Yankees, but their young players tend to be fairly well prepared for the major league game. The Braves built a dynasty around good instruction. Minnesota and Oakland may have different scouting philosophies, but both turn out well-rounded players.

Ltlabner
01-04-2007, 05:13 PM
In fact, with each year I gain greater appreciation for the massive differentiator that is good instruction. It's completely undermined Tampa's plan to build through youth. Their young talent has consistently underachieved. The Reds have suffered from a similar woe. Reds system products have spent the better part of a decade not getting all that close to their ceilings. Adam Dunn, for all the things he does right, should be a much better-rounded player. There's no reason a kid with Edwin Encarnacion's skills shouldn't be an excellent defender. We'll see if he can realize that potential. Gookie Dawkins, who seemingly had everything you'd want in a SS prospect, fizzled into nothingness. That's just the tip of an iceberg and I haven't even broached the subject of pitching.

An excellent comment. Frankly, worthy of it's own thread if it hasn't been discussed preivously or reciently. I'd also factor in the quality/skill of the medical staff and how that plays in to a youngsters development. But as you pointed out M2, development of prospects is critical to the success of an orginization.

Puffy
01-04-2007, 06:30 PM
RFS62 - I really feel this is the year he will say something intelligent. Call me crazy.......

TRF
01-05-2007, 01:27 PM
ok... you're crazy.

rimshot.

Lots of good choices for breakout years. Now of these players, pick 1-2 from each league you think would be a good fit for the Reds. And pick only 1 pitcher.

And it has to be realistic. Someone the Reds could acquire via trade.

BoydsOfSummer
01-05-2007, 03:52 PM
2b--Ian Kinsler--Rangers

Rojo
01-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Jeff Reardon.

edabbs44
01-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Jeff Reardon.

http://prison-break.ucoz.ru/img/prison_break.jpg