PDA

View Full Version : Email from Thomas Pauly on his status

JaxRed
01-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Here are the relevant parts of an email I got from Thomas Pauly (who lives here in Jacksonville)

As you probably know, I fell off the baseball planet in the spring of 05 when I had to have shoulder surgery for damage I most likely did in the off-season. Nothing went right from the first surgery and I had a second shoulder surgery to loosen up my shoulder in October. That rehab took much much longer then expected (my body scars heavily and does not respond well to being cut on) but as I was getting healthy this summer, my elbow gave out, and I had elbow surgery in July.

This rehab is taking much longer then expected as well, but for the moment things are going well.

I've been at this rehab thing for two years and it is by far the most frustrating experience of my life. Since it has been such a treacherous process the Reds and I have basically come to an understanding that if I'm not ready for spring training, I'm gone. I'm expecting the worst, since things repeatedly go wrong, but I've continued to work as hard as I can and do everything in my power to just be able to compete again someday. Not that it I need an extra push, but it is very very nice to hear that some people remember, and maybe if I'm lucky I can still turn out to be a success in the Reds eyes. Thanks for the support. Take care

Thomas Pauly

RedsManRick
01-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks for sharing Jax -- very interesting.

pedro
01-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Hopefully he can get healthy. Sounds very frustrating.

kheidg-
01-03-2007, 07:49 PM
He doesn't sound too optimistic. Hopefully he can come back yet. How did you find his email address Jax?

Superdude
01-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Not that it I need an extra push, but it is very very nice to hear that some people remember, and maybe if I'm lucky I can still turn out to be a success in the Reds eyes.

Wow. That's the saddest thing I've ever read. It sounds like he's just about ready to get a regular job and brag about how he used to be a stud pitching prospect. Sucks that him and Gardner went down like that.

Aronchis
01-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Pauly's arm was always on thin ice with those ugly mechanics. Gardner struggled to repeat his. No wonder Bowden era drafts had so many arm injuries.

tomd63
01-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Pauly's arm was always on thin ice with those ugly mechanics. Gardner struggled to repeat his. No wonder Bowden era drafts had so many arm injuries.

I've been following Pauly, Tim Stauffer, and Jamie D'Antona ever since reading Jim Collins' "The Last Best League" which featured these players during the 2002 season with the Chatham A's in the Cape Cod League. It's a fun read.

There's a story about Pauly playing long toss from the OF with an infielder and almost hitting the manager, and then a bullpen catcher, on over throws that travelled close to 350 feet on the fly. The manager yells at Pauly to move it elsewhere and turns to ask Pauly's college teammate if that is what they taught you at Princeton. The player replies that Pauly added 10 MPH, 84 to 94, since he started throwing long toss.

Hopefully Pauly will recover pitch for the Reds again.

traderumor
01-04-2007, 12:09 AM
That long toss may have also been responsible for his shoulder blowing out

Mario-Rijo
01-04-2007, 01:03 AM
There's a story about Pauly playing long toss from the OF with an infielder and almost hitting the manager, and then a bullpen catcher, on over throws that travelled close to 350 feet on the fly.

Can you actually still call that a toss? Geez, maybe he can go the OF route! Or with that lack of command perhaps not.

Anyhow it's an interesting tidbit, hopefully he can make it. Keep your head up Thomas you still have a shot that not many have ever had, don't lose sight of that! :thumbup:

Ron Madden
01-04-2007, 07:12 AM
Thanks for sharing Jax. Sad story so far.

I'll keep Thomas Pauly in my thoughts and prayers.

lollipopcurve
01-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Good luck to him -- gotta wish the best for a guy who takes the time to write to fans like that.

UGADaddy
01-04-2007, 11:02 AM
if he does have to get a day job, atleast he went to princeton.

camisadelgolf
01-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I kind of get the feeling that baseball was his backup plan.

JaxRed
01-04-2007, 11:29 AM
I kind of vaguely recalling he went back to finish degree rather than go to Instructional League. He'll do fine. But I'd rather have him start his career after 10 years in the bigs.....