PDA

View Full Version : N.L. Central Projected lineups

Spike
01-03-2007, 07:56 PM
These are the projected line-ups from MLB.com. I know there are the other divisions have some contenders, but this division look vaguely similar. I like our chances.

Cardinals

SS David Eckstein
2B Adam Kennedy
1B Albert Pujols
CF Jim Edmonds
3B Scott Rolen
LF Chris Duncan
RF Juan Encarnacion
C Yadier Molina
SP Chris Carpenter
SP TBA
SP Adam Wainwright/Braden Looper
SP Kip Wells
SP Anthony Reyes
CL Jason Isringhausen or Adam Wainwright

Astros

2B Craig Biggio
CF Chris Burke
1B Lance Berkman
LF Carlos Lee
3B Morgan Ensberg
RF Luke Scott
SS Adam Everett
C Brad Ausmus
SP Roy Oswalt
SP Jason Jennings
SP Woody Williams
SP Fernando Nieve
SP Wandy Rodriguez
CL Brad Lidge

Reds

RF Ryan Freel
1B Scott Hatteberg
CF Ken Griffey Jr.
3B Edwin Encarnacion
LF Adam Dunn
2B Brandon Phillips
C David Ross
SS Alex Gonzalez
SP Aaron Harang
SP Bronson Arroyo
SP Kyle Lohse
SP Eric Milton
SP Matt Belisle/Elizardo Ramirez
CL David Weathers/Mike Stanton

Brewers

LF Corey Hart
2B Rickie Weeks
1B Prince Fielder
CF Bill Hall
C Johnny Estrada
RF Geoff Jenkins/Kevin Mench
3B Corey Koskie
SS J.J. Hardy
SP Ben Sheets
SP Chris Capuano
SP Jeff Suppan
SP Dave Bush
SP Claudio Vargas
CL Francisco Cordero

Cubs

RF Alfonso Soriano
SS Cesar Izturis
1B Derrek Lee
3B Aramis Ramirez
CF Jacque Jones
C Michael Barrett
LF Matt Murton
2B Mark DeRosa
SP Carlos Zambrano
SP Ted Lilly
SP Mark Prior
SP Rich Hill
sp Jason Marquis
CL Ryan Dempster

Pirates

CF Chris Duffy
SS Jack Wilson
3B Freddy Sanchez
LF Jason Bay
RF Xavier Nady
1B Ryan Doumit
2B Jose Castillo
C Ronny Paulino
SP Zach Duke
SP Ian Snell
SP Paul Maholm
SP Tom Gorzelanny
SP Shawn Chacon
CL Mike Gonzalez

On paper the Cubs rule. But I am not so sure that it will all gel. (The pirates look pretty good for the future.) All in all, I think the Reds have a decent shot. Once in the playoffs. I am not so sure.

reds44
01-03-2007, 10:26 PM
If the Cubs bat Izturis 2nd and Murton 7th, they all should be fired on the spot.

BRM
01-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Junior in CF batting 3rd. Yikes.

Marc D
01-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Reds

RF Ryan Freel
1B Scott Hatteberg
CF Ken Griffey Jr.
3B Edwin Encarnacion
LF Adam Dunn
2B Brandon Phillips
C David Ross
SS Alex Gonzalez
SP Aaron Harang
SP Bronson Arroyo
SP Kyle Lohse
SP Eric Milton
SP Matt Belisle/Elizardo Ramirez
CL David Weathers/Mike Stanton

You like our chances ? To do what??

vaticanplum
01-04-2007, 05:58 PM
In the context of the season, I can understand shifts in batting order (though not necessarily to the degree that Narron does). But why, WHY would anyone in his right mind slip Adam Dunn into the fifth spot as his default home? Besides the many obvious reasons why this goes against baseball wisdom, the man wears pitchers out. If he's in a slump, fine, put him fifth. as a default -- insane.

Chip R
01-04-2007, 07:01 PM
In the context of the season, I can understand shifts in batting order (though not necessarily to the degree that Narron does). But why, WHY would anyone in his right mind slip Adam Dunn into the fifth spot as his default home? Besides the many obvious reasons why this goes against baseball wisdom, the man wears pitchers out. If he's in a slump, fine, put him fifth. as a default -- insane.

I'm guessing they are predicating this on the fact that Narron likes to break up the lefties in the lineup.

vaticanplum
01-04-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm guessing they are predicating this on the fact that Narron likes to break up the lefties in the lineup.

Then they should have him batting third.

pedro
01-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Hatteberg has no business batting second. His OPS in 130 AB's in the 2 hole last year was .614. He should be batting sixth when he plays.

KronoRed
01-04-2007, 11:58 PM

Narron logic again dictates that won't happen. ;)

jmcclain19
01-05-2007, 04:32 AM
Wow - what's the over/under on 90 loss teams in the NL Central in 2007 - three? Four? five?

That may be why the Reds have any sort of shot, because everyone of their division rivals is god awful.

I can't believe the Cubs spent all that money and probably made themselves worse overall.

And I feel embarrassed for baseball that the Cardinals with that team won the World Series.

If the Brewers are able to get anything positive out of Geoff Jenkins, Kevin Mench, Jeff Suppan & Ben Sheets, I'm thinking they are your frontrunner for the time being.

Chip R
01-05-2007, 07:49 AM

Jr. bats 3rd.

Ltlabner
01-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Freel/Deno bats 1st
Dunn bats 2nd
EE bats 3rd
Jr bats 4th

don't care after that....

But maybe something like

Phillips
Ross
Agon
Hatte/Conine
Pitcher

I usually don't get to into the mechanics of the line up too often. I guess my biggest hope is that Narron picks one/two and sticks with them.

Chip R
01-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Freel/Deno bats 1st
Dunn bats 2nd
EE bats 3rd
Jr bats 4th

don't care after that....

But maybe something like

Phillips
Ross
Agon
Hatte/Conine
Pitcher

I usually don't get to into the mechanics of the line up too often. I guess my biggest hope is that Narron picks one/two and sticks with them.

That's what you think it should be and it should be something close to that. But what it should be and what it will be are two different things. Like I said, Jr. will bat 3rd and he will play CF. Narron will break up the lefties and Dunn will probably end up batting 5th.

Outshined_One
01-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Cubs

RF Alfonso Soriano
SS Cesar Izturis
1B Derrek Lee
3B Aramis Ramirez
CF Jacque Jones
C Michael Barrett
LF Matt Murton
2B Mark DeRosa
SP Carlos Zambrano
SP Ted Lilly
SP Mark Prior
SP Rich Hill
sp Jason Marquis
CL Ryan Dempster

Hmmm...based on what I've heard, you've got some things mixed up. Overall, it's about right. Some changes...

-Piniella hasn't decided on who's hitting second. He'll settle it during ST, although it'll probably be one of DeRosa, Murton, or Izturis.

-The Cubs have been pursuing a platoon partner for the OF...but whether it's for Jones or Murton is unclear. There was some discussion of platooning Jones with Murton (moving Soriano to LF and getting a CF to fill in), but I think that died down. Word is the Cubs are going after Cliff Floyd to platoon with Jones and that they're happy having Murton play every day.

-CF is a mystery. Soriano might be placed there, as apparently he has the tools to play there quite well. However, word is the Cubs have been shopping Jones, meaning they'd move Soriano to a corner. Jacque Jones might be able to play CF, but I really don't know if he can play there every day any more. A curious possibility is uber-prospect Felix Pie. Pie has a world of potential, but I don't think he's ready yet. His plate discipline and pitch selection could use plenty of work. He'll need a minimum of half a season in AAA to work out some of those kinks, imo.

-Assuming the Cubs make no moves between now and opening day, the lineup would probably look like:

Soriano
Murton
Lee
Ramirez
Barrett
Jones
DeRosa
Izturis
Pitcher

-The rotation looks about right, although Prior apparently won't be ready for spring training. Wade Miller is a likely candidate for the #5 spot, although he might not be ready, either. Odds are, it'll come down to a competition between Sean Marshall, Juan Mateo, Angel Guzman, JK Ryu, and probably a few other AAA-level pitchers for the #5 spot. My money's on Guzman since he's finally healthy and has always had a really nice upside.

-Dempster will probably be the closer out the gate, but don't be surprised if he loses it to Wood, Eyre, or Howry a month or two into the season. His previous season was not good. If it carries over into next season, he'll be on a short leash.

vaticanplum
01-05-2007, 10:24 PM
That's what you think it should be and it should be something close to that. But what it should be and what it will be are two different things. Like I said, Jr. will bat 3rd and he will play CF. Narron will break up the lefties and Dunn will probably end up batting 5th.

I guess I'm confused on the purpose of this. Reading closely, projected does in fact imply what they think Narron will do. Initially I thought it was projected BEST lineup.

Highlifeman21
01-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Narron logic again dictates that won't happen. ;)

Narron has logic?

Who knew?

Chip R
01-05-2007, 11:53 PM
I guess I'm confused on the purpose of this. Reading closely, projected does in fact imply what they think Narron will do. Initially I thought it was projected BEST lineup.

Hey, it could be both. Maybe the people who put these lineups out are as big of nimrods as Narron is. I know my projected lineup and my best lineup for the Reds would be different. But wouldn't anyone with an ounce of baseball sense that isn't named George Kenneth Griffey, Jr. think that the best place for Jr. would be RF instead of CF?

GAC
01-06-2007, 07:05 AM
The Cardinals are still in the hunt for Jeff Weaver, who is drawing interest from a number of NL teams, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.

The word "hunt" is appropriate.

http://www.wiseacre-gardens.com/buttons/baseball.gif

Falls City Beer
01-06-2007, 09:40 PM
If the Brewers are able to get anything positive out of Geoff Jenkins, Kevin Mench, Jeff Suppan & Ben Sheets, I'm thinking they are your frontrunner for the time being.

I think the Brewers, on paper, are as good as any team in the NL besides maybe San Fran or Atlanta.

All I know is that, on paper, the Reds have the worst looking team in the division.

WMR
01-06-2007, 10:20 PM
If that's the line-up and batting order that Narron goes with... wow we are screwed... Not that we're not teetering dangerously close to such a precipice anyway, but that lineup and batting order would just about negate the relative crappiness of the rest of the Central.

mth123
01-06-2007, 10:33 PM
I think the Brewers, on paper, are as good as any team in the NL besides maybe San Fran or Atlanta.

All I know is that, on paper, the Reds have the worst looking team in the division.

I agree with both of these thoughts, though I'd stick the Mets in there as the best NL team. The Mets do lack a top of the rotation starter for now so I can see why they would be suspect.

NL West has several deep rotations. The Brewers rotation looks the best of all the other teams to me. Offensively, the Brewers seem to have a number of guys ready to break out and I have a hunch that Jenkins will have a nice comeback. Cordero, Cappellan, Wise and Shouse look pretty good as well in the pen and there a number of interesting guys to round out the staff.

The Reds will be fighting with Pitts for 5th place in the division. With the Reds only real strengths being top 2 starters (but Arroyo could regress), MI Defense and Dunn and EE offense. They generally look below average in all areas with the Rotation actually closer to average than the other areas of the team.

Falls City Beer
01-06-2007, 10:36 PM
I agree with both of these thoughts, though I'd stick the Mets in there as the best NL team. The Mets do lack a top of the rotation starter for now so I can see why they would be suspect.

NL West has several deep rotations. The Brewers rotation looks the best of all the other teams to me. Offensively, the Brewers seem to have a number of guys ready to break out and I have a hunch that Jenkins will have a nice comeback. Cordero, Cappellan, Wise and Shouse look pretty good as well in the pen and there a number of interesting guys to round out the staff.

The Reds will be fighting with Pitts for 5th place in the division. With the Reds only real strengths being top 2 starters (but Arroyo could regress), MI Defense and Dunn and EE offense. They generally look below average in all areas with the Rotation actually closer to average than the other areas of the team.

I think the rotation will be well below average as well--as I too believe Arroyo will regress. I'll say the bullpen ends up being closest to average.

Ltlabner
01-07-2007, 07:55 AM
I think the rotation will be well below average as well--as I too believe Arroyo will regress. I'll say the bullpen ends up being closest to average.

I guess I'm looking for hope under all the rocks in the field, but if the bullpen does in fact end up being close to league average that will be a huge improvement over where they were last year, especially the first half of the year.

While I'd prefer they have adjectives such as "dominate", "supurb", "money in the bank" and "nasty boys part doux" attached to them, after the first half of last year I'll take "average" as a starting point.

GAC
01-07-2007, 08:16 AM
According to ESPN "Insider", the Mets are making a run for Jeff Weaver. The problem? Weaver wants a 4 yr/40 Mil deal.

[insert uncontrollable laughing here]

vaticanplum
01-07-2007, 01:34 PM
While I'd prefer they have adjectives such as "dominate", "supurb", "money in the bank" and "nasty boys part doux" attached to them

"Doux" means soft or gentle, Ltlabner :)

I know what you meant but in context the slip is kinda funny.

Ltlabner
01-07-2007, 01:41 PM

I think I'd even settle for "The Kinder Gentler Nasty Boys" at this point VP!

Thanks for the help. I took German in HS and I try to avoid anything French at all costs, so I'm not suprised I muffed up that spelling.

Falls City Beer
01-07-2007, 01:45 PM

I like the idea of pitchers throwing "billets-doux" to batters.

http://www.kipar.org/period-galleries/engravings/1690/conty_1694.jpg

Chip R
01-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, great. Instead of the Nasty Boys we have the Golden Girls.