PDA

View Full Version : Big Unit traded back to Arizona

Reds Fanatic
01-04-2007, 06:31 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6308886

The teams informed the commissioner's office of the specifics of the trade, a baseball official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made.

Arizona would send pitcher Luis Vizcaino to the Yankees along with minor league pitcher Ross Ohlendorf and shortstop Alberto Gonzalez, another baseball official said, also on condition of anonymity. The Yankees also might receive another minor league pitcher, the official said, and would pay between $1.5 million and $2 million of Johnson's $16 million salary this year.

Teams are granted a 72-hour window by the commissioner's office to close tentative deals, but it was not clear when that time would begin.

"When we have been granted that window, we would be willing to discuss everything with the Diamondbacks," said Alan Nero, who represents Johnson along with Barry Meister. "Once that window is open, we will do our best to work out a deal."

JaxRed
01-04-2007, 06:59 PM
A steal for the Yankees. How they are talking Arizona into this is beyond me.

Mutaman
01-04-2007, 07:43 PM
As a confirmed Yankee hater, this really bothers me. Johnson could always be counted on to come up flat in the post season. Why Arizona would agree to this ought to be investigated. I guess Arizona fans will come out to see this guy try to win 300, but I still don't get it.

The_jbh
01-04-2007, 08:09 PM
As a confirmed Yankee hater, this really bothers me. Johnson could always be counted on to come up flat in the post season. Why Arizona would agree to this ought to be investigated. I guess Arizona fans will come out to see this guy try to win 300, but I still don't get it.

Like when he and schilling led the DBACKs to a World Series? Didn't between the two they pitch like 75% of the game.

Or when he was clutch in the playoffs for the Mariners, starting game 4 and closing game 5 i believe it was of the Wildcard

IslandRed
01-04-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm impressed the Yankees managed to unload most of Johnson's salary and get a good setup guy in return. The prospects aren't from Arizona's premium cut, though. Arizona's gambling on RJ's health to sell tickets, and maybe make a run if he has one last good season.

It is funny (in a way) to watch the Yankees, of all teams, take advantage of the frenzied market to shed salary.

GAC
01-04-2007, 09:19 PM
What are the D'Backs thinking? They unload Gonzalez, which was a good move, and then take on RJ?

Spring~Fields
01-04-2007, 09:28 PM
I have to give it to the Yankee gm, he doesn't let any grass grow under his trading wheels or mold to grow on his cell phone.

Mutaman
01-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Like when he and schilling led the DBACKs to a World Series? Didn't between the two they pitch like 75% of the game.

Or when he was clutch in the playoffs for the Mariners, starting game 4 and closing game 5 i believe it was of the Wildcard

Johnson's Postseason record: 7 wins 9 losses. ERA: 3.50.

Not exactly Sandy Koufax (Postseason record: 3 wins 1 loss 0.95 ERA).

Johnson's postseason record with the Yankees - 0 win 1 loss 7.50 ERA.

Can you say overated? Its funny , if you go on any Yankee message board, their fans are almost unanimous in favor of getting rid of this guy.

Hoosier Red
01-05-2007, 11:33 AM
3.50 ERA isn't too bad.
Here's my question, don't the D-Backs still owe MLB money? I thought they had a huge debt and MLB bailed them out with a loan.

If that's the case couldn't any team call shenanigans on this? (Not that they would want to.)

westofyou
01-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Can you say overated?

No, but I can say small sample size.

RedsManRick
01-05-2007, 11:46 AM
I love this trade for the Diamondbacks. I think they just made themselves the favorites in the NL -- or at least right there with the Mets.

NJReds
01-05-2007, 11:47 AM
The reports here before the "Hot Stove" warmed up was that Cashman was going to get full control w/out a lot of interference from "the Boss."

Apparently that's true, as he's unloaded Sheffield and Johnson (two players the Boss pined for) for prospects.

Edit: It also shows me that if the Reds really wanted to rid themselves of Milton and Griffey, it probably could get done.

Jpup
01-05-2007, 12:21 PM
I love this trade for the Diamondbacks. I think they just made themselves the favorites in the NL -- or at least right there with the Mets.

I agree, but I think the West will be pretty good this year. The Padres, Giants, Dodgers, and Diamondbacks will all be better clubs this season. I kind of look for Philly to push the Mets in the East this year too.

Team Clark
01-05-2007, 12:25 PM
What are the D'Backs thinking? They unload Gonzalez, which was a good move, and then take on RJ?

I still can't get over this... How they can add 14 million in payroll and then want to give him an extension. WOW! His ERA will probably go down a smidge to 4.60 or so but c'mon.... The D-Backs offense is not anything like the Yanks. I don't see him winning 17 games again.

NJReds
01-05-2007, 12:30 PM
I still can't get over this... How they can add 14 million in payroll and then want to give him an extension. WOW! His ERA will probably go down a smidge to 4.60 or so but c'mon.... The D-Backs offense is not anything like the Yanks. I don't see him winning 17 games again.

I'm no scout TC, but I saw a lot of RJ in NY. He lost some heat off his fastball and fell in love with his slider. He looks like a guy who lost confidence in his stuff.

Doc. Scott
01-05-2007, 12:57 PM
According to what I've seen on other message boards, the Diamondbacks did this in part to try and draw more fans to their park. Apparently Phoenix is not the greatest of baseball towns.

The surprising part about this move is that I had thought Arizona was under some fairly strict payroll limitations given all the money problems they'd had the past few years (connected to the massive overspending that accompanied their World Series run). Vizcaino is a solid middle reliever, but no star; maybe a (seven years younger) half-step ahead of a David Weathers.

Ohlendorf (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/O/Ross-Ohlendorf.shtml) is a starting pitcher out of Princeton (4th round, '04) who has put up decent numbers as high as AA but will be 25 in August. He's also primarily a control pitcher with a high hit rate and moderate (around 7 per nine) K rate.

Gonzalez (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/Alberto-Gonzalez.shtml) is a 23-year-old (24 in April) Venezuelan shortstop who just finished hitting .290/.356/.392 in AA in 2006. It looks like he's got decent plate discipline and will hit a few line drives, but miniscule power and not much speed, either.

The Diamondbacks' system is one of the deepest in baseball, especially in terms of position players- I doubt either of the two prospects would even make their top ten. And if they're going to snow their creditors a little while longer while they pay the Unit for another year or two... I guess that's their prerogative.

I guess I'm saying I like this deal for Arizona, as the Yankees are going to have to acquire someone else or hope for a younger pitcher to step up in order to replace RJ's innings. The main risk is that the wheels don't suddenly fall off on the 43-year-old Johnson.

NJReds
01-05-2007, 01:03 PM
The Yanks seem to think that Ohlendorf compares favorably to Chien-Ming Wang; a guy who throws a heavy sinkerball and keeps the ball in the yard and lets his defense do the work. Gonzalez is supposed to be great defensively and could replace Miguel Cairo as a utility man.

With all of the "youth" the Yankees are suddenly stockpiling, I'm wondering if a potential deal for Willis is in the works.

westofyou
01-05-2007, 01:08 PM
The surprising part about this move is that I had thought Arizona was under some fairly strict payroll limitations given all the money problems they'd had the past few years (connected to the massive overspending that accompanied their World Series run). Vizcaino is a solid middle reliever, but no star; maybe a (seven years younger) half-step ahead of a David Weathers.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/sports_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_83_5258151,00.html

Could it be Arizona believes it can take care of two problems with one deal by acquiring left-hander Randy Johnson from the Yankees?

Even though Johnson, 43, underwent surgery for a herniated disk in his back in November, not only might his acquisition perk up ticket sales for the Diamondbacks, it could alleviate some of their deferred money crunch.

Word is, in working out a contract extension to help ease the $16 million Johnson is guaranteed for 2007, the Diamondbacks would propose an ownership stake to Johnson, which also would help ease the $40 million of deferred money Arizona owes Johnson from the six previous seasons he pitched for it.

Ltlabner
01-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Could it be Arizona believes it can take care of two problems with one deal by acquiring left-hander Randy Johnson from the Yankees?

Even though Johnson, 43, underwent surgery for a herniated disk in his back in November, not only might his acquisition perk up ticket sales for the Diamondbacks, it could alleviate some of their deferred money crunch.

Word is, in working out a contract extension to help ease the $16 million Johnson is guaranteed for 2007, the Diamondbacks would propose an ownership stake to Johnson, which also would help ease the $40 million of deferred money Arizona owes Johnson from the six previous seasons he pitched for it.

You mean a massive increase in payroll may result in a WS run in the short-term and cause crippling damage to the orginization in the long-run? Shocking.

Mutaman
01-05-2007, 01:59 PM
No, but I can say small sample size.

But its the postseason. You have to get the job done in a very small window. If you're supposed to be a Hall of famer, you get the job done when it counts. The Yankees paid Johnson millions to pitch big in the postseason. When you give up 10 earned runs in 12 post season innings, thats pretty miserable.

IslandRed
01-05-2007, 03:13 PM
But its the postseason. You have to get the job done in a very small window. If you're supposed to be a Hall of famer, you get the job done when it counts. The Yankees paid Johnson millions to pitch big in the postseason. When you give up 10 earned runs in 12 post season innings, thats pretty miserable.

The Yankees signed him when he was 41 years old. It shouldn't surprise anyone when a 40something pitcher who's 6-foot-10 with an iffy back hits the wall. Hall of Famers get old too, and if you're going to ding him for tailing performance at the end of his career, there are a lot of guys in the Hall that deserve the same markdown.

I know, the Yankees paid him a zillion dollars. That was their fault; writing a check doesn't make the recipient immune to aging.

westofyou
01-05-2007, 03:24 PM
If you're supposed to be a Hall of famer

He will be, despite his post season troubles outside of Arizona.

RedsManRick
01-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Randy Johnson just completed in a season in which he pitched 205 innings, had 172 SO, only 60 BB, and fewer hits than IP -- all this in the toughest offensive division in baseball. His ERA was inflated to due some really bad luck with RISP. He now moves a weaker league, in it's weakest offensive division.

Is he "Randy Johnson - HOF" any more? I don't think so. But Randy Johnson - one of the 20 best pitchers in the NL is a nice guy to have in your rotation.

Spike
01-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Randy Johnson just completed in a season in which he pitched 205 innings, had 172 SO, only 60 BB, and fewer hits than IP -- all this in the toughest offensive division in baseball. His ERA was inflated to due some really bad luck with RISP. He now moves a weaker league, in it's weakest offensive division.

Is he "Randy Johnson - HOF" any more? I don't think so. But Randy Johnson - one of the 20 best pitchers in the NL is a nice guy to have in your rotation.

Agreed!!

KoryMac5
01-08-2007, 01:52 PM
This deal gets better and better for the snakes. Johnson gets a two year 26 million dollar contract pending his physical.

JaxRed
01-08-2007, 02:00 PM
This deal was a bad move for Arizona when proposed, and it stinks now.

NJReds
01-08-2007, 05:31 PM
More details on the finanicial arrangements:

NEW YORK (AP) -- Only a few details remain before Randy Johnson rejoins the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Johnson agreed Sunday to a $26 million, two-year contract with Arizona, leaving only physicals and final approvals to complete his trade from the New York Yankees.

Johnson was to take his physical Monday, and the trade likely will be finalized Tuesday. Arizona general manager Josh Byrnes confirmed the agreement but otherwise declined comment until after the medical information is reviewed.

New York, which acquired the Big Unit from Arizona two years ago, would receive reliever Luis Vizcaino, minor league right-handers Ross Ohlendorf and Steven Jackson, and minor league shortstop Alberto Gonzalez.

"We're very excited and very happy for Randy, We think it's a win-win for everybody," said Alan Nero, who represents Johnson along with Barry Meister. "It was very complex because there was a lot of legal work -- it was the third time the contract has been redone. Other than that, I think it went very smoothly."

Johnson, a 43-year-old left-hander who lives in the Phoenix area, was owed $16 million this year in the final season of his January 2005 contract with the Yankees, a deal that called for $1.5 million to be deferred without interest until 2010.

Because of the cash involved, commissioner Bud Selig must approve the trade. The players' association also might want to review the restructuring of his contract.

If the trade goes through, Johnson would join an Arizona starting rotation that includes reigning Cy Young winner Brandon Webb, Livan Hernandez and Doug Davis. In their only other major move in the offseason, the Diamondbacks acquired the left-handed Davis from Milwaukee in a six-player deal that sent catcher Johnny Estrada to the Brewers.

Johnson's new deal calls for a $12 million signing bonus, of which $3.5 million is payable this year, $500,000 in 2008 and $4 million each in 2009 and 2010, a baseball official with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because the terms weren't disclosed in Sunday's announcement. Johnson gets salaries of $4 million this year and $10 million in 2008.

As part of the trade, New York would pay $2 million of Johnson's salary this year. That means Arizona would be responsible for $24 million: $5.5 million this year, $10.5 million in 2008 and $4 million each in 2009 and 2010.

In addition, the Diamondbacks owe the five-time Cy Young Award winner just over $44 million, including accrued interest, from 2007-12. That money was earned by Johnson when he pitched for Arizona from 1999-2004, winning four Cy Youngs.

Johnson, who has a no-trade clause, had until 5 p.m. EST Sunday to reach an extension under a 72-hour window granted Thursday by the commissioner's office. His agents held several telephone discussions with the Diamondbacks to reach the agreement.

Johnson's new agreement came two years and one day after he agreed to his extension with the Yankees. He went 103-49 with the Diamondbacks and helped them beat the Yankees in the 2001 World Series, going 3-0 against New York. He went 17-11 with a 5.00 ERA last season, and had back surgery Oct. 26.

He failed to win both of his postseason starts with the Yankees, and on Friday the Daily News ran a back-page headline that read: "GOOD RIDDANCE."

Notes

INF Miguel Cairo decided to remain with the Yankees, reaching a preliminary agreement on a $750,000, one-year contract. Cairo, who must pass a physical for the deal to be completed, hit .239 with 30 RBIs in 222 at-bats last season. In addition to his salary, he would earn $50,000 bonuses for 350 and 400 plate appearances. He also played for the Yankees in 2004, then spent 2005 with the New York Mets. His agreement was first reported Saturday by the New York Post. ... The Yankees planned a Monday news conference to introduced LHP Kei Igawa, who agreed to a contract last month.

IslandRed
01-08-2007, 06:57 PM
2/26 for a 43-year-old pitcher is just absurd, particularly for a team like the Diamondbacks that has a lot of young talent. I just don't get it. Unless, and I'm speculating without a shred of evidence, an undisclosed part of the deal is a restructure of the deferred money from his prior deal to ease a cash crunch of some sort. Although I'm not sure how that would work what with adding new money on top of it.

Falls City Beer
01-08-2007, 07:00 PM
2/26 for a 43-year-old pitcher is just absurd, particularly for a team like the Diamondbacks that has a lot of young talent. I just don't get it. Unless, and I'm speculating without a shred of evidence, an undisclosed part of the deal is a restructure of the deferred money from his prior deal to ease a cash crunch of some sort. Although I'm not sure how that would work what with adding new money on top of it.

Teams have money to burn.

You can never have too much starting pitching. Sounds like a plan to me.

Arizona's building a pretty solid club down in the desert; nice blend of youth and experience.

westofyou
01-08-2007, 07:05 PM

Ownership stake, like what the Penguins did with Lemieux.

RedLegSuperStar
01-08-2007, 07:05 PM

No offense.. but what kind of contract do you think Roger Clemens will get? He did make a cool 22 million last season for what.. 4 months? Not disputing the deal with Johnson.. but I bet the warmer climate might help him as opposed to the colder New York weather. The hometown crowd may also benifit the 43 year old.

KoryMac5
01-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Teams have money to burn.

You can never have too much starting pitching. Sounds like a plan to me.

Arizona's building a pretty solid club down in the desert; nice blend of youth and experience.

It's a pretty big gamble to take considering he just had back surgery in October.