PDA

View Full Version : Cowher to resign as Steeler's coach Monday

Reds Fanatic
01-04-2007, 05:34 PM
According to a Pittsburgh paper Bill Cowher will announce his retirement as coach on Monday.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6333920

Bill Cowher is expected to announce his retirement as head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers Monday, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Thursday.

Cowher has coached the Steelers for 15 seasons, the longest tenure of any current National Football League coach, and has one season remaining on his contract with the team. But since he and his wife purchased a new home in Raliegh, N.C., there has been widespread speculation that he would walk away from the post after this season to spend more time with his family.

Cowher reportedly met Tuesday with team chairman Dan Rooney and president Art Rooney II to discuss his future. It was uncertain Thursday whether any final determination was made during that meeting.

Under Cowher, the Steelers beat the Seattle Seahawks to win the Super Bowl last February, and have won eight division titles and reached the playoffs 10 times.

The Steelers could promote from within to replace Cowher. Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt would be one of the leading candidates. Whisenhunt reportedly interviewed Thursday with the Atlanta Falcons and owner Arthur Blank.

redsfanmia
01-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Boo Hoo, I hope they hire an idiot who runs that franchise into the ground, I heard Cam Cameron is avaliable and willing to be a head coach.

MWM
01-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Promote Dick LeBeau. I think he's earned it. :evil:

Heath
01-04-2007, 06:13 PM
So in 2008 the teams after Cowher will be the following -

Carolina - if Fox isn't retained.
Tampa Bay - esp. if Gruden goes 4-12 again or Cleveland comes calling.
Washington - Snyder has the cash.
Cleveland - he played there - also coached ST there...you never know.

I can't believe that we are talking about the END of next season.

Reds4Life
01-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Anyone who thinks Cowher is going to stay retired is living in a dream land, he isn't that old.

Reds Fanatic
01-04-2007, 06:20 PM
I read somewhere his daughter is home for one more year before college. He will take the year be with his family and he will be back coaching in 2008.

George Foster
01-04-2007, 06:25 PM
I think this only helps the Bengals next year. It will be hard for a new coaching staff to make the playoffs in that division.

SunDeck
01-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Promote Dick LeBeau. I think he's earned it. :evil:

I'd rather have him come back to Cincinnati.

Matt700wlw
01-04-2007, 06:33 PM
I hope they suck for years and years now...

Chip R
01-04-2007, 07:20 PM

You forgot Bama when Saban leaves for greener pastures. ;)

Yachtzee
01-04-2007, 07:49 PM
I'd rather have him come back to Cincinnati.

I'm not so sure about that. We've been down that road before and his defenses weren't so hot the second time around, even before he became head coach. I think Dick LeBeau depends on having the right players in place to fit his scheme. The "Fire Zone" defense requires safeties who are fast, but can also play "big" like a linebacker. The prototype here is a David Fulcher or a Troy Polamalu, who can cover deep, stop the run, and rush the QB. It also requires a lot of depth at linebacker, and defensive linemen agile enough to occupy 2 blockers or drop back into coverage.

At safety, the Bengals currently have Dexter Jackson and Madieu Williams, so it may be interesting to see them play in a "fire zone" defense. But if they get hurt, Kevin Kaesveharn is definitely not the type of safety who would succeed in such a D. With Thurman and Pollack likely not around next season, I don't think they have enough talent at linebacker to switch to a 3-4 arrangement. They would have to possibly move Geathers to linebacker, which means a season of learning a new position. On the DL, they have Sam Adams and Peko, but Justin Smith is likely gone and if you move Geathers to LB, then you've got less depth there. I think it would take at least 2 seasons for the Bengals to get the talent on board and get everyone comfortable playing in the "fire zone" D. I'd much rather have a coordinator who can evalutate the talent on hand, identify need areas, and who can then create a scheme that gives that talent the best chance to succeed.

As much as I like LeBeau as a person, I'd rather look elsewhere if they're shopping for D-coordinators.

Blimpie
01-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Call Nick Saban.

He's probably been having second thoughts about his current gig ever since he was mobbed by "excited fans" at the Tuscaloosa Regional Airstrip yesterday.

Caveat Emperor
01-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Anyone who thinks Cowher is going to stay retired is living in a dream land, he isn't that old.

Unless he's planning to go to the college ranks, he's walking away from the best gig in the NFL.

If I were a coach, I can't think of a single ownership group I'd rather work under than the Rooney family. In Pittsburgh, he has the kind of job security that other coaches only can dream about. He won't find that anywhere else -- the rest of the world is filled with pressure to win, win now, and win tomorrow. A lot of owners (read: virtually every other owner) wouldn't have let him stay in Pittsburgh as long as he did without winning the big game.

I like Cowher -- I guess he knows what is best for him.

Yachtzee
01-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Unless he's planning to go to the college ranks, he's walking away from the best gig in the NFL.

If I were a coach, I can't think of a single ownership group I'd rather work under than the Rooney family. In Pittsburgh, he has the kind of job security that other coaches only can dream about. He won't find that anywhere else -- the rest of the world is filled with pressure to win, win now, and win tomorrow. A lot of owners (read: virtually every other owner) wouldn't have let him stay in Pittsburgh as long as he did without winning the big game.

I like Cowher -- I guess he knows what is best for him.

Of course, the problem with that job is that he has to live in Pittsburgh. ;)

max venable
01-05-2007, 02:16 PM
So...it's official...Cowher's gone. And with that in mind, just let me, as a Bengals fan, say:

I HATE THE STEELERS!!

But I respect Bill Cowher. GREAT coach. I really can't think of a reason to not admire and like the guy (except that he coached the hated Squealers).

WVRed
01-05-2007, 06:39 PM

Carolina makes the most sense, since he does have a home there now.

As long as he stays out of the AFC North, I am happy.

deltachi8
01-10-2007, 12:43 AM
From what I have been reading Cowher wants to be the highest paid coach in the league and very well may have stayed in Pittsburgh if they made him such. One rumor I saw was he turned down an extension to pay him $6.5M.

If true, whoever wants to Hire Bill will have deep pockets and a willingness to give him control of the franchise....paging Mr. Snyder...

On a side note, I would not be surprised at all if the Steelers hire Mike Tomlin as their next coach.

deltachi8
01-22-2007, 09:25 AM
On a side note, I would not be surprised at all if the Steelers hire Mike Tomlin as their next coach.

OK, I am not right that often, so I have to update this thread...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07022/755830-66.stm

The Steelers Coaching Search: It's Tomlin
Vikings defensive coordinator to be announced today to take over the team from Cowher

Monday, January 22, 2007
By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jerry Holt, Star Tribune
The Steelers chose Mike Tomlin, defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings, as their new coach.

The Steelers have selected Mike Tomlin as their head coach and will announce his hiring at a news conference today.

Mr. Tomlin, 34, is the defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings. His agent and the Steelers were working out contract details last night that would cover a term of four years and an option year. Mr. Tomlin succeeds Bill Cowher, who also was 34 when the Steelers hired him 15 years ago.

The Steelers chose Mr. Tomlin as head coach yesterday after vacillating between him and Russ Grimm, the team's assistant head coach and offensive line coach. The Steelers decided not to wait for Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, the third finalist for the job, because he would not be available to be hired for another two weeks.

Mr. Tomlin and Mr. Grimm, 47, had second interviews for the job last week. Mr. Rivera was interviewed once.

The hiring of Mr. Tomlin will represent a radical change in at least the way the Steelers play defense. Mr. Tomlin has coached a 4-3 defense in Minnesota and is a proponent of the Cover-2 or Tampa-2 style. The Steelers played a 3-4 during Mr. Cowher's 15-year tenure using the zone blitz.

While all Steelers assistant coaches are under contract, many of them likely will not be retained by Mr. Tomlin. Wide receivers coach Bruce Arians could be the one exception. He could become offensive coordinator under Mr. Tomlin.

For sure, Mr. Grimm will leave. The Steelers likely will allow him out of his contract under the circumstances.

Dick LeBeau, in his second tenure as the Steelers' defensive coordinator, is unlikely to remain in that capacity under a head coach who believes in the 4-3 defense.

Mr. Tomlin is expected to visit the current Steelers coaching staff this week in Mobile, Ala., where the coaches are scouting the Senior Bowl practices.

MIKE TOMLIN
AT A GLANCE

Pro coaching experience: Vikings defensive coordinator, 2006; Buccaneers defensive backs coach, 2001-05.

College coaching experience: Cincinnati defensive backs coach, 1999-2000; Arkansas State defensive backs coach, 1998; Arkansas State wide receivers coach, 1997; Memphis graduate assistant coach, 1996; Virginia Military Institute wide receivers coach, 1995.

Playing experience:
Three-year starter at wide receiver for William and Mary, 1990-94. Finished career with 101 receptions for 2,046 yards and 20 touchdown catches.

The numbers: His defense in Minnesota ranked 8th in the NFL in total defense for 2006 and led the league in run defense. ... In a Dec. 10 game against the Lions, the Vikings held Detroit to minus-3 yards rushing, the lowest total by an NFL team in the past 45 years. ... He helped Tampa Bay's pass defense rank No. 1 in the NFL in two of his five seasons as secondary coach.

Personal info: Born in Hampton, Va. He and wife, Kiya, have two sons, Dino and Mason.

One defensive coach who could join Mr. Tomlin's staff is Brett Maxie, who coached the Atlanta Falcons' defensive backs under head coach Jim Mora, who was fired after the season. Also, Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler coached with Mr. Tomlin in college at Memphis and Arkansas State.

Mr. Tomlin, who was born in Hampton, Va., and played wide receiver at William and Mary, began his coaching career at Virginia Military Institute in 1995. He coached at Memphis, Arkansas State and Cincinnati before joining the pro ranks in 2001 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers under Tony Dungy and then Jon Gruden. He left the Buccaneers as their secondary coach last year to become the defensive coordinator of the Vikings under new coach Brad Childress.

His first defense in Minnesota ranked eighth overall -- No. 1 in the league against the run but tied for last against the pass as the Vikings went 6-10.

"I think regardless of who they hire to be head coach they expect him to lead, and part of leading is being prepared to do things that you feel strongly about," Mr. Tomlin said after his second interview with the Steelers Tuesday at the team's training facility on the South Side. "I'm no different than anyone else in that regard."

Mr. Tomlin was considered a long shot for the job when he was first named as a candidate shortly after Mr. Cowher resigned Jan. 5. In part because the Steelers won the Super Bowl in February, the two candidates on their staff were considered the front-runners -- Mr. Grimm and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

Mr. Whisenhunt, though, accepted the head coaching job with the Arizona Cardinals last week after the Steelers gave him no guarantee he would get the job here. Mr. Grimm, who also was interviewed by the Cardinals, then was considered the front-runner for the Steelers' job.

But Mr. Tomlin thoroughly impressed the Steelers' three-man search committee -- president Art Rooney, chairman Dan Rooney and football operations director Kevin Colbert -- in his first interview, and he immediately became a serious candidate.

Mr. Tomlin becomes the first black coach of the Steelers, and only the franchise's third head coach in the past 38 years. Head coaches Lovie Smith of Chicago, which gained entry into the Super Bowl yesterday, and Kansas City's Herm Edwards also coached under Mr. Dungy. Mr. Tomlin replaced Mr. Edwards as the secondary coach in Tampa in 2001 when Mr. Edwards left to become head coach of the Jets.

Chuck Noll, hired in 1969 when he was 37, won four Super Bowls before he retired after the 1991 season. Mr. Cowher's teams made the playoffs in 10 of his 15 seasons and competed in six AFC championship games, two Super Bowls and won it all in February.

The Steelers would expect no less success from Mr. Tomlin, a vibrant and outgoing young coach whose reputation as a future head coach in the league skyrocketed the past couple of years. His defensive scheme may be different than what the Steelers have used recently, but his philosophy is pure Pittsburgh.

"I think football is a tough-man's game, it's an attrition game," Mr. Tomlin said on Tuesday. "You win by stopping the run and being able to run the ball effectively -- and doing the things winners do -- being a detailed-oriented football team, playing with great passion and executing."

goreds2
01-22-2007, 12:58 PM
OK, I am not right that often, so I have to update this thread...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07022/755830-66.stm

6 of 15 years he was in the AFC Championship game. A 40% rate.
(VERY IMPRESSIVE)