PDA

View Full Version : Who is RedsZone's #7 Prospect?

chicoruiz
01-04-2007, 05:43 PM
So far:

1. Homer Bailey
2. Jay Bruce
3. Joey Votto
4. Johnny Cueto
5. Travis Wood
6. Drew Stubbs

Lots of new guys this time. Remember, if you want someone added let me know, but at this point it doesn't matter if they're better than somebody on the list; it only matters if they're better than everyone on the list.

DoogMinAmo
01-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Valaika was my #6, hence he is my #7.

reds44
01-04-2007, 05:53 PM
I voted Hamilton last round, but I don't think it was a good choice. IMO, I think he should be on the 25 man roster, but I don't think he belongs in the Top 10 prospects.

I'll go Chris Valaika .

Cyclone792
01-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Chris Valaika gets my vote here.

Even though it was in Billings, he had a great season last season, and the fact that he plays a premium position doesn't hurt either. His age for Billings doesn't bother me at all, especially when considering that he missed the bulk of his sophomore season in college due to an injury.

Redman15
01-04-2007, 06:14 PM
I agree with Blue and would like to see Turner added along with Dorn.

lollipopcurve
01-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Valaika -- whether he ends up at 2B or SS, I like the bat. And, he was young for a college junior, making him plenty young for Billings last summer.

Gallen5862
01-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Chris Valaika was my vote for the 7th spot.

OnBaseMachine
01-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Chris Valaika.

mth123
01-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Sam Lecure

Superdude
01-04-2007, 08:47 PM
I went with Lecure. He's nothing to be thrilled about, but was pretty solid last year. This free agent market (and the fact that Eric Milton is a virtual lock to make the rotaton) is proof that there is quite a bit of value in a back rotation starter. Valaika's growing on me, but I don't want to bow down to him just because he got into a groove in rookie ball.

Blue
01-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Valaika, because he played really good shortstop and impressed with the bat in his first taste of professional ball.

Lecure is a good choice though, he finished strong in Sarasota. I'll vote for him as #8.

cincyinco
01-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Gimme Loo.. I think he has a much higher ceiling than either Valaika or Lecure. And ceiling I believe, should at this point, weigh heavily. Valaika probably can't stick it at SS, and Lecure looks solid but unspectacular at this stage...

Give me Loo!!!!!

Kc61
01-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Somewhere in the top ten, I wouldn't mind seeing Coutlangas get some votes. A converted position player, he got a late start pitching, but has succeeded and is rapidly climbing to major league status. Probably a middle reliever, but seems like a good bet to be a solid major league bullpen guy. Also a lefty, which helps.

The other relievers (Shafer, Medlock, Guevera) also look pretty good, but I think Coutlangas is the one who is just about ready.

Salmon is also ready. I'd probably vote for the lefty, but both Salmon and Cout should get consideration.

Red Leader
01-05-2007, 09:54 AM
I think #7, as the poll is showing, is between Valaika and LeCure.

I went with LeCure because he is further along in his development. This year should be telling for both of them, though. I don't think either of them are a bad choice here.

M2
01-05-2007, 11:36 AM
I went with Shafer. There's little doubt he'll pitch in the majors at some point and there's good reason to believe he'll pitch well when he gets there.

Frankly, I've got no idea of whether LeCure or Valaika will ever see the majors.

RedsManRick
01-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I went with Shafer too M2. I think there's a lot to be said for the value of attrition. Maybe he doesn't have the ceiling some guys do, but any guy with these career numbers:

2.60 ERA
1.11 WHIP
7.31 H/9
0.51 HR/9
9.84 K/9

I don't know much about his stuff, and I know he's a reliever, but you can't deny those numbers. He's been flat out dominant. Why we need 8 veteran relievers who only serve to block the way for guys who appear ready to go (or darn close) like Shafter and Salmon is beyond me. I'm a bit wary of listing a high potential guy with only 275 professional ABs over somebody who's been excellent for over 3 years.

Superdude
01-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Salmon was a little too wild last year for my taste. If he can maintain a K rate above 11, then that would okay, but I'm assuming he doesn't have the stuff to keep that up. He'd still be a better option than a couple of people we'll be throwing out there opening day.

I have no idea what's holding back Shafer. Unless he's just "Petit-ing" everybody, he should definitely be given a good chance at the bullpen during spring training.

RedsManRick
01-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Salmon was a little too wild last year for my taste. If he can maintain a K rate above 11, then that would okay, but I'm assuming he doesn't have the stuff to keep that up. He'd still be a better option than a couple of people we'll be throwing out there opening day.

I have no idea what's holding back Shafer. Unless he's just "Petit-ing" everybody, he should definitely be given a good chance at the bullpen during spring training.

Mike Stanton, David Weathers, Bill Bray, Gary Majewski, Todd Coffey, Rheal Cormier, Matt Belisle, Jared Burton....

For both Shafer and Salmon, somebody is going to have to get hurt or traded if they want to get a shot.

Superdude
01-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Put Shafer in for Cormier and Salmon in for Burton. Mike Stanton, David Weathers, Bill Bray, Gary Majewski, and Todd Coffey should be the only one's with guaranteed bullpen jobs in my opinion.