PDA

View Full Version : Astros top Reds for Loretta...

jesusfan
01-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Agent: Astros, Loretta agree to deal
Team source says contractual issues must be resolved
By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

Mark Loretta selected the Astros' offer over those of the Rangers and the Reds.

HOUSTON -- Infielder Mark Loretta had offers from two Texas teams but decided to sign with the Astros, his agent, Bob Garber, said on Thursday. However, a team source said the deal has not been completed and there are still contractual issues that need to be resolved. It is, however, reasonable to speculate that a deal will eventually be completed.
According to Garber, Loretta agreed to a one-year deal worth $2.5 million, but the contract could be worth as much as $3.5 million with incentives. Garber said the deal was finalized late Wednesday night.

The Rangers offered $1 million more, Garber said, and Loretta also had an offer from the Reds, but he picked Houston, partly because of an aggressive recruiting job by Roy Oswalt and Brad Ausmus.

"Roy called [club owner] Drayton McLane and said, 'We need this guy,'" said Garber, who also represents Oswalt. "That's how the ball started rolling. Drayton said, 'OK, I'll call your agent tomorrow.'"

Loretta, who played for the Astros for part of the 2002 season, has primarily been a second baseman for most of his 12-year career. But with Craig Biggio entrenched at second base and expected to log his 3,000th hit in 2007, it's likely Loretta would be used in a utility role. Loretta also has extensive experience at first, third and shortstop.

Loretta clearly would provide insurance at third in case Morgan Ensberg, coming off a 2006 season during which he hit .235 and battled injury issues, does not make a successful comeback.

"[Second base is] Biggio's position," Garber said. "He'll fill in, play around the infield, a little third, short and first once in a while."

Loretta will also share the utility label with Eric Bruntlett, who recently avoided arbitration by signing a one-year deal.

Loretta played for the Red Sox last season. The veteran also has played for the Brewers, Astros and Padres and has a .299 career average.

buckeyenut
01-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Not sure where he would have played for us.

reds44
01-04-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm glad.

marcshoe
01-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Not sure where he would have played for us.

Krivsky's only acquired one right handed hitter to platoon at first. Krivsky doesn't acquire just one of anything....:cool:

(fwiw, if an offer was still on the table and this means Krivsky doesn't see Conine as the absolute answer to the platoon situation, I wouldn't complain.)

jesusfan
01-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Personally I would rather have had Loretta than Conine considering Loretta can play every position in the infield and even though Conine can play 1st and outfield, we already have outfield backups in Deno, and Hopper....

marcshoe
01-04-2007, 08:09 PM
When the rumor came up before the Conine trade, I didn't like it. Funny how my perspective has changed.

Degenerate39
01-04-2007, 08:11 PM
I'd rather have him than Conine but that's just me

Heath
01-04-2007, 08:21 PM
I don't think that Loretta was coming to Cincinnati. Where would he play? He knew he'd be back-up fodder.

BigRed
01-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Not disappointed unless they were planning to sign him and then move Phillips in a deal for pitching.

Tom Servo
01-04-2007, 08:33 PM
I don't think that Loretta was coming to Cincinnati. Where would he play? He knew he'd be back-up fodder.
But with Jerry Narron as manager, Loretta would wind up being an everyday guy. :dunno:

Highlifeman21
01-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Personally I would rather have had Loretta than Conine considering Loretta can play every position in the infield and even though Conine can play 1st and outfield, we already have outfield backups in Deno, and Hopper....

Loretta would have been a great insurance policy.

I'm a little concerned about all the Norris Hopper talk lately though. He's at best our 6th best OF on the depth charts after Dunn, Griffey, Denorfia, Freel and Hamilton.

Loretta for 2.5M per would have made everyone forget about Rich Aurilia.

I would have paid Loretta 4M per for his services, but apparently Oswalt and Ausmus have some pull in the FA market.

Tom Servo
01-04-2007, 09:33 PM
This also shows me that everyone complaining not getting Zito and other big name free agents have to realize that more than money does factor into their decisions. So far both David Dellucci and Mark Loretta have turned down either about equal or more money from the Reds to go to other teams.

Reverend Doo-Rag
01-05-2007, 12:30 AM
Haven't Reds officials made it abundantly clear that no offer was made to Loretta?

Jpup
01-05-2007, 02:30 AM
the Astros also signed a bunch of junk today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions

Signed catcher Eric Munson, infielder Cody Ransom and pitchers Stephen Randolph, Jose Rodriquez and Kevin Walker.

redsmetz
01-05-2007, 10:06 AM
But with Jerry Narron as manager, Loretta would wind up being an everyday guy. :dunno:

Not to start something, but to be honest, I think this ongoing charge against Narron is baloney. I think last year he was juggling the hand he was dealt. I won't say he was masterful, but particularly with Aurilia, I think he moved him around fairly well - even when he was subbing for EE. I think the sitting did EE some good and we'll see the benefit of that learning this year.

Jpup
01-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Not to start something, but to be honest, I think this ongoing charge against Narron is baloney. I think last year he was juggling the hand he was dealt. I won't say he was masterful, but particularly with Aurilia, I think he moved him around fairly well - even when he was subbing for EE. I think the sitting did EE some good and we'll see the benefit of that learning this year.

you can also learn by doing. sitting the bench didn't do him any good. the only way Edwin will improve his throwing is do it on the field. Narron is horrible.

redsmetz
01-05-2007, 10:54 AM
you can also learn by doing. sitting the bench didn't do him any good. the only way Edwin will improve his throwing is do it on the field. Narron is horrible.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I do think that having consistent failure can drag a player down, whereas sometimes sitting and working outside of the game to improve can alleviate the problem. I think Eddie did alright even with the brief sitting.