PDA

View Full Version : comparing #3-#5's in NL

jmac
01-04-2007, 07:27 PM
last nite i was listening to wgn radio because they were talking baseball.
One of the people said something about the cubs spending so much money while the other commented something like "unlike the cincinnati reds who arent doing anything".
The reply went something like this..."Well listen, last season the reds had one of if not the best 1-2 punches in the league.They won the season series with STL and Stros both".
Then he proceeded to speak of having loshe for a full season and a recovered milton.He also hit on the bullpen problems and that the reds signed weathers to be the set-up guy.Afterward...the announcer said "thanx tom brennamen etc"

This got me to thinking...I am not sold on loshe and milton.
However is the rest of the NL's 3-5 starters that much better than whoever we run out.
Some of the same ones we are /were saying "stay away from" are being signed as the answers....meche....marquis etc.
Yeah i would like to be able to run out there 5 quality guys like the bosox and even the yanks will probably have.
However when looking around the NL....is our 3-5 that much worse than everyone else's.Notice i didnt say "as good" as but rather "that much worse".

reds44
01-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Loshe is a league average 4th starter over his career.
Milton isn't a bad 5, he gives you some good and some bad. He was very inconsistent last year. He's VERY overpaid, but not a terrible 5.

We need a 3rd starter. As the days go bye, it appears ever more unlikely we will sign one. Either EZ or Belisle have to step up, or we have to pray Homer is ready sooner rather then later.

Tom Servo
01-04-2007, 07:43 PM
At this point there's definatly not a true #3 to be found out there on the market. I like Tomo Ohka, but I can't say that I'm completley sold on him being the difference in a potential playoff run. Jeff Weaver is someone I'd rather have no part of. I'd like to see Wayne pursue John Thomson and inking him to a 1 year deal worth a few million. Best case scenario he turns into a solid #3 and gives us a chance to make the playoffs. Worst case scenario he turns out to be bad but we may still be able to move him at the trade deadline.

I can't help but think though that Wayne is out there trying to get a pitcher through trade. He said early on in the offseason that a starter was one of the Reds needs, I think he's still holding his cards close to his vest when he says he's happy with the rotation. I'll go out on a bit of a limb and predict that by Opening Day the Reds will have another starter who's not currently in the orginzation.

Will M
01-04-2007, 08:08 PM
In my humble cycnical opinion Lohse will have a very good year.
He certainly has the stuff to be a #2 not a #4.
He will pitch better and more consitently than he has his whole career.
Why? - looming free agency and a big contract for 2008 and beyond.

jmac
01-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Good points.
Overall who do you zoner's think has the best backend ?(rotation wise)

Topcat
01-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Good points.
Overall who do you zoner's think has the best backend ?(rotation wise)

Dodgers.

Highlifeman21
01-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Loshe is a league average 4th starter over his career.
Milton isn't a bad 5, he gives you some good and some bad. He was very inconsistent last year. He's VERY overpaid, but not a terrible 5.

We need a 3rd starter. As the days go bye, it appears ever more unlikely we will sign one. Either EZ or Belisle have to step up, or we have to pray Homer is ready sooner rather then later.

Neither Belisle or EZ are or will ever be a #3 for a MLB team.

Lohse is unfortunately the creature most resembling a #3 currently on our roster.