PDA

View Full Version : Source: Shell set to depart as Raiders' head coach

RBA
01-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Source: Shell set to depart as Raiders' head coach01/04/2007 17:56 PM - Oakland coach Art Shell is scheduled to meet with his staff at 2 p.m. ET Friday to inform them that he's done as the Raiders' coach.

Oakland coach Art Shell is scheduled to meet with his staff at 2 p.m. ET Friday to inform them that he's done as the Raiders' coach, a team sorce told ESPN.com. Shell and owner Al Davis met for most of the day Thursday, but at this point, it is unclear whether Shell is resigning or is being fired.

One of the early favorites to replace Shell is defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

WVRed
01-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I saw Rob Ryan when they showed the Raiders-Bengals game. It does raise the question as to whether there is a dress code for NFL coaches outside of the Reebok label, most noticably, the long hair.

Ryan would be a good idea with the way he had the defense performing. Oakland's defense was ranked 10th in the league IIRC. It was the offense, inconsistency at QB, and playing in the strongest division in the league that did the Raiders in.

Rojo
01-05-2007, 08:12 PM
I've been set to depart from lots of jobs.

WebScorpion
01-05-2007, 09:22 PM
It's official now, he's gone. Now there are 5 NFL head coaching jobs open with nobody tagged as a replacement for any of them. Wonder if we'll lose an O-coordinator? Cards, Falcons, Dolphins, Raiders, Steelers...I'd say either the Pittsburgh or Miami gigs would be the most appealing. They've both got great owners, but Miami might be in the easier division at the moment. Of course, I think the Arizona job gives you the best shot at quick success...I'm just not too sure the fan support will materialize out there.

Chip R
01-05-2007, 09:54 PM
I wonder if Al Davis is thinking about selling the Raiders. Not that I've even heard the slightest scuttlebutt about it but you have to wonder, since he's getting up there in years, if he plans to sell. I don't believe he has any heirs and he's almost 80. It would be quite a windfall for him if he did sell. He is unique in that he was a player, coach, GM, commissioner and owner so he probably wouldn't want to sell unless he just totally lost his passion for the game.