PDA

View Full Version : The longest day...

Ltlabner
01-05-2007, 12:27 PM
What is the longest lasting baseball game you've attended?

I'd have to say mine is one of the early April games last year against the Pirates. There was a nearly 3 hour rain delay and then they went on to play the entire game. It was exausting, but Milton pitched a pretty good game and Feliepe Lopez hit a nice homer (most importantly, the Reds won). IIRC, the game started at 7pm and I didn't get home until 1am. Plus we had gotten to GABP around 5:30pm for dinner.

I know that is nothing compared to the old double-headers where you could concievably spend 10 hours at the ballpark.

redsupport
01-05-2007, 01:25 PM
watching Dick Rusteck defeat Jim Maloney in 1966 for the Mets

RedsManRick
01-05-2007, 01:37 PM
On a May Saturday in 2001 I went to a Twins/A's double header where both games went in to extra innings. We got to the park at 10am to watching batting practice and didn't leave until 11 that night. Both games were about 4 hours long...

The second game featured a masterful 5 inning relief performance by some unknown young pitcher named Johan something or other. I think the average age of that Twins team was like 17.

redsfanfalcon
01-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Saw the Reds and Tigers duke it out at Spring Training for 21 innings back in 05...of course it was part of a make up, but I was one of about 20 fans left in the 21st inning.

jmac
01-05-2007, 10:12 PM
this was probably not "long" by comparisons but i remember being in school and listening to reds on west coast vs san fran.
i had to listen to radio to follow reds and i did even on school nights.
all i remember was game went something like 16 + innings and nick esasky went 3-6.the game ended at around 3:00 am in the morning.

cincrazy
01-05-2007, 10:16 PM
I went to a Rockies game some time ago, maybe in 2003, and the game not only experienced a long rain delay, but went 12 or 13 innings. And the Rockies won. Painful to say the least.

dougdirt
01-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Ken Griffey Jr Bobblehead night a few years ago, 14 innings.

reds1869
01-05-2007, 10:54 PM
A Pirates-Cubs game when I was a kid went 17 innings with multiple rain delays. My memories are hazy because of my age at the time; I definitely remember the Pirates winnning with a walk off hit.

Highlifeman21
01-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Extra Innings affair this summer @ Philly. EZ lost it in the 15th, IIRC.

I was hoping Harang would have pitched more than 1 inning as side work that night.

I lost all hope for Jerry Narron that night and then the next night when he gave EZ the ball in the 1st.

And then the Chris Michalak manlove was born...

That was a long weekend for me, Cyclone and Mole44.

Super_Barry11
01-06-2007, 01:19 AM
Ken Griffey Jr Bobblehead night a few years ago, 14 innings.

I was at that game!!! I was with my dad, who's a teacher, and he had school the next day. He finally said that if the game wasn't over in the next inning, we had to leave since he lives an hour north of Dayton and wanted to get a decent amount of sleep. I can't tell you how thrilled I was when Keisler hit in the winning run... :D I was incredibly lucky that he did it right then, or I'd have been forced to hear the ending on the radio during the car ride home!!!

robmadden1
01-06-2007, 01:28 AM
I was at that game!!! I was with my dad, who's a teacher, and he had school the next day. He finally said that if the game wasn't over in the next inning, we had to leave since he lives an hour north of Dayton and wanted to get a decent amount of sleep. I can't tell you how thrilled I was when Keisler hit in the winning run... :D I was incredibly lucky that he did it right then, or I'd have been forced to hear the ending on the radio during the car ride home!!!

I was at the game also I still have my bobble head unopened still in the original box.

TOBTTReds
01-06-2007, 01:42 AM
Innings: 14 Reds @ Cards three years ago, I believe Kelly Stinnett hit a GW single. It was the most fun I've had at a game. It kicked off a 4 stadium, 5 game tour with a friend. We caught 3 Reds away games.

Longest day: This year at a double header for a summer team I worked for at OSU. It was prob. 95 degrees out and BP was at 10, the first game went 11 innings (regularly 7 innings). Games were finally over around 7:30. It was the only time I don't enjoy a day at the park. I enjoyed it til about the 9th inning of the first game, realizing we had atleast 7 more to go.

reds44
01-06-2007, 01:49 AM
Sat through a 3:30 hour rain delay at a Tigers/Braves gave in Detroit a few years back. The game then proceeded to go 12 innings and 4:30 hours. We got there an hour before the game. That's a 9 hour day at the ballpark, for a game I didn't care about.

vic715
01-06-2007, 02:07 AM
watching Dick Rusteck defeat Jim Maloney in 1966 for the Mets

I remember that game. It looked like a lock before it started but Ruestic shut them out 3-0 I believe. I also think that's the only game he ever won in the majors.

HumnHilghtFreel
01-06-2007, 09:58 AM
I've never attended a game that went into exta-innings, but in school I played in a game that went 16 innings... and we were playing a double header that day, so it was a long day of baseball.

Was the first time I had ever gotten to pitch in a meaningful game, because we ran out of pitchers lol

redsupport
01-06-2007, 10:07 AM
june 10, 1966 4-0 mets, four hitter by the great rusteck, baldschun gave up a run but pavletich had a hit

creek14
01-06-2007, 10:12 AM
I attended this/these games.

The longest American League game, and tied for the longest major league game by innings which ended with one team winning, was a 7‑6 victory by the Chicago White Sox over the Milwaukee Brewers in 25 innings, at Comiskey Park in Chicago in 1984. The game was begun at 7:30 p.m. on the evening of May 8, and after scoring early runs both teams scored twice in the 8th inning; but the game was suspended after 17 innings with the score tied 3‑3 due to a league rule prohibiting an inning from beginning after 12:59 a.m. The game was continued the following evening, May 9, and both teams scored three times in the 21st inning to make the score 6‑6; finally, in the bottom of the 25th, the White Sox' Harold Baines hit a home run to end the contest. Tom Seaver was the winning pitcher in relief. (A regularly scheduled game followed, meaning both nights saw 17 innings played; Seaver also started, and won, the second game.) The official time of the entire 25‑inning game was 8 hours 6 minutes, also a major league record.

vaticanplum
01-06-2007, 05:57 PM
but the game was suspended after 17 innings with the score tied 3?3 due to a league rule prohibiting an inning from beginning after 12:59 a.m.

What kind of a rule is that? That rule no longer exists, does it? There have been all those Sox-Yankees killers the last few years, the Houston-White Sox WS Game 3...and those are all postseason, but just off the top of my head there was that 18-inning Houston-Pittsburgh affair this year and I would think that had to have had an inning start past 1 am. Maybe the Cincy-Philly game that Highlifeman mentioned too.

Awesome game to attend though, creek...I love long games, free free and more free baseball; the only problem is that they still stop serving beer after the seventh!

redsfanfalcon
01-06-2007, 06:52 PM
What kind of a rule is that? That rule no longer exists, does it? There have been all those Sox-Yankees killers the last few years, the Houston-White Sox WS Game 3...and those are all postseason, but just off the top of my head there was that 18-inning Houston-Pittsburgh affair this year and I would think that had to have had an inning start past 1 am. Maybe the Cincy-Philly game that Highlifeman mentioned too.

Awesome game to attend though, creek...I love long games, free free and more free baseball; the only problem is that they still stop serving beer after the seventh!

The AL has a curfew, but the NL does not.

Redmachine2003
01-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Opening day 2006. Cold, raining, and windy. The President was there so you had to get there an extra 1 hr early. Dunn misplayed like five fly balls and they lead to like 7 runs. Harang got tattooed on the mound. Just a long ugly day.

bradmu
01-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Went to a Reds-Marlins game back in Riverfront. I only made it down to 1-2 games a year with my Dad, so didn't want to have to drive 2 hours back home without seeing a game, plus, we had great seats. Anyways, The game was delayed in excess of 2 to 2.5 hours. and didn't start till around 10:00 PM. The game then lasted about 4 hours or so and finally finished just before 2 am. Plus, tack on another 2 hours drive home...couple that with me having to go to school the next day, it made for a long night.

I remember the stadium being deserted. Kind of like a modern day Marlins home game :-)

Newman4
01-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Longest day for me both literally and figuratively, was in 2000. My wife's sister and future husband had never been to Reds game and we had recently moved about an hour and a half from Cinergy Field. I was thrilled and had ordered a bunch of tickets for the season and invited them to go. They made the hour and a half drive to our house, but unfortunately I had a Friday afternoon "urgent parent meeting" which caused us to be running late. We had to go through the Arby's drive thru in Batavia for dinner with the time on the bank clock next door at 6:50. At this point when I tried to get some change out of my pocket, I noticed that I had forgotten our tickets. Alas, we tried to make the most of the situation while woofing down our curly fries and decided to buy from scalpers. We noticed that it was looking like rain, so we tried to get some seats under cover. At the time, we were happy to pay for four yellow club seats the guy said was under cover. If you remember the yellow club seats at Cinergy, the first couple rows are not quite covered and even worse the second or third row where our seats were would get splashed from the run off from the upper deck. By the way, we missed the start of the game and by the time we got to our seats the rain delay had already started and our seats were drenched. We decided to wait out the rain delay and at the worst watch the game standing if our seats continued to be rained on, however, they called the game 3+ hours later. We saw absolutely no baseball that night. So with our Arby's curly fry heartburn and still soaking wet clothes, we made our hour and a half trip back home. It could have been worse considering we drove my truck from the parking garage to Eastgate with the red Empty Fuel light on after the game in the rain, much to the chagrin of the ladies onboard. We have since have some great times at the ballpark, but things didn't start very well to say the least.

creek14
01-07-2007, 10:59 AM
I kind of remember freezing my :mooner: off at that marathon game. The one thing that really sticks out was the BAs. It was still pretty early in the season and some guys had 10 - 11 ABs that game. Players were gaining/losing points to their average at amazing rates.

Wow, just think how many times Adam could've K'd...

Chip R
01-07-2007, 06:07 PM
That Opening Day game last year was miserable. MWM, GAC and I all left in the 7th to resume drinking.

I remember a game back in the old stadium, I think it was in 2000 and it was a Saturday afternoon game. Game went about 7 innings and it rained like gangbusters. We went down behind the blue seats just to get away from the rain and the couple who sat next to us decided to leave after an hour or so but we stuck it out and sat in the blues behind home plate after the game re-started. Pretty long delay too. Must have been a couple of hours easy.

I'm sure some folks who went to Milwaukee in 1999 might be piping in here soon.