PDA

View Full Version : ESPN "Insider" Rumors

GAC
01-07-2007, 08:43 AM
WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY
Jeff Weaver Mets wants a 4 yr/ 40 mil deal

David Wells Padres Padres or bust (retire)

Mark Mulder Cardinals Indians still negotiating. Both the Indians and
Indans Texas have offered 2 yr deals at 7.75 Mil w/incentives. The
Rangers Cards have offered a 1 yr deal

Roger Clemens Yankees Roger Clemens'agent, Randy Hendricks, has advised him to wait
Astros until midseason to return. Yanks determined to not be outbid.
Red Sox Clemens weary of Astros lack of run support.

Brian Jordan ? After 15 years, and more then a dozen trips to the DL,

Ryan Franklin Royals Nats have expressed interest to shore up their thin rotation.
Cardinals
Nationals

Jim Parque White Sox Parque hasn't appeared in the majors since 2003 because of
Athletics shoulder troubles. A former 1st round pick from UCLA, he went
Angels 31-34 in parts of 6 seasons with the White Sox and Devil Rays.
Rangers Agent Paul Cohen said he recently hit 90 mph on the radar gun
Padres in a workout for several big-league clubs.
Reds

Brian Lawrence Rockies Pirates officials have attended several of Lawrence's mound
Pirates workouts, and may make an initial offer within the week.
D'Backs Lawrence didn't pitch last year because of shoulder surgery.
Giants

Tomo Ohka Mets Has received contract offers from four undisclosed clubs, either
Rangers for one year or multiple years. Mets GM Omar Minaya is familiar
Twins with Ohka from his days at Montreal. Boston has interest for him
Nationals in the bullpen, but Ohka wants to start.
Pirates

Reds4Life
01-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Weaver wants $10 million a year? :lol: I want to date Stacey Kiebler too.

Figures the only player the Reds are interested in is one who's been gone for 3 seasons thanks to shoulder trouble. At the rate it's going Krivsky should build a nursing home next to GABP and use it as the players dorm.

MrCinatit
01-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Weaver wants $10 million a year? :lol: I want to date Stacey Kiebler too.

Figures the only player the Reds are interested in is one who's been gone for 3 seasons thanks to shoulder trouble. At the rate it's going Krivsky should build a nursing home next to GABP and use it as the players dorm.

What is really sad is I would not be surprised to see him get it. Whoever gets him needs to make sure their bullpen phones are in proper working order.

Redmachine2003
01-07-2007, 10:27 AM
what is even sadder is that the Reds only show up on another sore arm pitcher in these rumors.

paulrichjr
01-07-2007, 11:45 AM
what is even sadder is that the Reds only show up on another sore arm pitcher in these rumors.

Actually I can't remember the last deal that the Reds made that actually showed up on the rumor pages since JimBo. AlexG maybe but that was fairly obvious since we had to have a shortstop and he was one of the only ones out there for "cheap". I put no stock in rumors while DanO and WayneK have been here because they don't or didn't seem to talk to the press. I think that is good. Also, frankly I don't know that I would want the Reds to go after any of those.

Redsland
01-07-2007, 11:54 AM
I put no stock in rumors while DanO and WayneK have been here because they don't or didn't seem to talk to the press.
No, but agents do, in the case of free agents, and other GMs do, in the case of trades. So even though Wayne plays it close to the vest, it is still possible for "true" rumors to get out there.

vaticanplum
01-07-2007, 01:35 PM
I would have to think that Clemens is going to the Yankees at this point. Don't know if that's a good idea.

redsmetz
01-07-2007, 05:37 PM
If Parque can be taken on a minor league invite to Spring Training, I'd take a flyer on him. He'll be 31 next month. Looking at his history on Baseball Cube, you can see he was rushed (first pro season started in High A and jumped to AAA, then moved to the big club the following year). I don't see losing anything taking a look at him (not a 40 man slot, mind you).

I'm still wondering if Ohka can help us.

Edd Roush
01-07-2007, 06:05 PM
8 posts and no one brings up the fact that JimBo is expressing interest in putting Ryan Franklin in the rotation? After the way he pitched for the Reds last year, I can't believe any one would have interest in him pitching for them, let alone in the rotation.

Spitball
01-07-2007, 06:47 PM

I doubt it. I'm glad the Reds are not lumped into that desperate group. Ohka had shoulder problems and a drop in velocity last year. With a serious shortage of starters, Ohka is an afterthought who is best grouped with Sidney Ponson and Ramon Ortiz at the bottom of a wish list.

redsmetz
01-07-2007, 06:50 PM
8 posts and no one brings up the fact that JimBo is expressing interest in putting Ryan Franklin in the rotation? After the way he pitched for the Reds last year, I can't believe any one would have interest in him pitching for them, let alone in the rotation.

With only one person or two in their rotation, they'll probably look at Paul Wilson (who will probably be a great coach some day, but he's done as a pitcher). If the person's breathing, the Nats will look at them.

gm
01-07-2007, 06:58 PM
When you think it's butter, but it's not? It's Parque

redsmetz
01-07-2007, 07:24 PM
When you think it's butter, but it's not? It's Parque

I'm really afraid we're headed down a slippery slope. :D

Spitball
01-07-2007, 07:31 PM

It seems to me that Soriano should have been used to address this problem in July.

marcshoe
01-07-2007, 10:34 PM
I need sleep. It took me several minutes to realize that you weren't suggesting that Soriano should have been put in the rotation.

MartyFan
01-08-2007, 05:07 AM
Do you suppose it would be beneficial for the Reds to wait out the idiocy of all these signings to make trades during Spring Training and also during the season?

Just curious.

Edskin
01-08-2007, 08:16 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

When last season ended, I turned to my wife and said, "You know, I really think the Reds might be a Jim Parque away from contention."

GAC
01-08-2007, 08:32 AM
The Astros have inquired about Paul Wilson.

Team Clark
01-08-2007, 08:32 AM
If Parque can be taken on a minor league invite to Spring Training, I'd take a flyer on him. He'll be 31 next month. Looking at his history on Baseball Cube, you can see he was rushed (first pro season started in High A and jumped to AAA, then moved to the big club the following year). I don't see losing anything taking a look at him (not a 40 man slot, mind you).

Reminds me of Steve Avery in his last 3-4 years. Sad.

TRF
01-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Reminds me of Steve Avery in his last 3-4 years. Sad.

Steve Avery in 1999 was all that kept the Reds afloat during the first couple of months. I wish the rest of 1999's and all of this year's rotation had half his guts.

Johnny Footstool
01-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Parque hit 90 on the radar gun? Wow. What was he driving?

shredda2000
01-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Parque hit 90 on the radar gun? Wow. What was he driving?

A titleist I believe :laugh:

Johnny Footstool
01-08-2007, 10:36 AM
A titleist I believe :laugh:

Or a Honda.

Reds Nd2
01-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Figures the only player the Reds are interested in is one who's been gone for 3 seasons...
He should be well rested then. :laugh:

GAC
01-09-2007, 06:47 AM
Or a Honda.

Hey! :mooner:

Johnny Footstool
01-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Hey! :mooner:

That's not a jab at Honda. Hondas can top 90 easily.

And they're probably in Jim Parque's price range.;)