PDA

View Full Version : Most hated division rival

Tom Servo
01-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Slow day, like most have been this offseason, so I figured a poll about despising the rest of the NL Central was in order.

RedsBaron
01-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Cubs. While I don't care for Tony LaRussa, I otherwise like the Cardinals. While I hate the Steelers, I don't hate Pittsburgh's baseball team. I don't hate the Astros. As for the Brewers, I hardly even give them a thought.

reds44
01-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Cardinals. When we play the Cubs, I REALLY want us to win because I live in Chicago, but I have a passionate hate for the Cards.

dougdirt
01-07-2007, 03:45 PM
I hate the Cubs for several reasons. 1, they have obnoxious fans. 2, their obnoxious fans show up at my ballpark and almost outnumber my fellow Reds fans at times and it makes me want to fight people.

redsmetz
01-07-2007, 03:52 PM
I don't know how to answer. I'm an old guy and I still operate out of the old two division scheme - the Dodgers are hated. I can't work up a froth about these guys in our division. It's still the Dodgers, it's the Braves. Even in the old scheme, the Phillies were hated, as were the Pirates, but they were because they'd be our rivals in the play-offis. The Pirates can't count that way anymore because neither of us is in the playoffs. I'll take option 6 - None Of The Above.

redsfanmia
01-07-2007, 03:54 PM
The Reds have been so bad do they even have a rival now? I still hate the Dodgers the most.

Betterread
01-07-2007, 03:57 PM
I voted for the Cardinals. I have to admit that they are a successful organization, but I don't like the players or the personalities on the current team. Many players seem to carry themselves with a misplaced arrogance (only Pujols deserves to be that way).

vaticanplum
01-07-2007, 04:05 PM
The Astros. Their uniforms are stupid and they play in a ballpark with a roof and a choo-choo train. I don't like Phil Garner, I don't like a lot of their players, and I find them just generally irritating. Plus they always seem to lurk in mediocrity for a while and then muck things up at the end. This is long-standing, not just the last couple of years. I think a case could also be made for their fans being just as obnoxious as Cardinals or Cubs fans; they're just farther away geography-wise so we don't deal with them as much.

There's a lot to hate about the Cardinals, but I have a lot of respect for their current organization. By contrast, I loathe the Cubs organization, but they have a few saving graces: the ballpark, a handful of quiet, true-blue fans, and a colorful history that I love. The Brewers are charming and I'd be perfectly happy to see them do well when the Reds aren't contending. The Pirates are the Pirates.

RANDY IN INDY
01-07-2007, 04:14 PM
I voted Astros as well, vaticanplum. Never could stand them.

BoydsOfSummer
01-07-2007, 04:31 PM
I picked Cubs from the options, but I still have a lot of residual hate for those damned Dodgers. One of my good friends is a Dodger fan and we usually catch that series together every year. That helps keep me disliking them the most, but the Cubs are closing fast.

jmac
01-07-2007, 05:26 PM
I vote cubs first.
I havent liked them since farnsworth kicked wilson's behind.
Stros are a close second !

Newman4
01-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Cardinals......the ugly trend they seem to keep going of no facial hair except a little crap under the bottom lip (Carpenter,Mulder and to an all new level, Spezio) is enough for me to hate them. Edmonds. Larussa. Belliard. Bo Hart. McGwire. Eckstein. All irritating. :barf:

Ltlabner
01-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Like many others the only other team I can honestly say I hate is the Dodgers. From this list I voted for the Cubs only because of their obnoxious fans.

I am starting to dislike the Cards, but frankly, mostly because they get so much man-love here. They are a fine orginization, a somewhat obnoxous but skilled coach and mostly quality yet unmemroable players. But the level of drooling of some here turns me off to them in a big way.

Unassisted
01-07-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm a none of the above, too. I have lived closer to the Central Time Zone teams in the NL Central than I have to the Reds for as long as the NL Central has been in existence. In all that time, I haven't found fans of any of the other NL Central Teams to be unlikable.

IMO, none of the other division teams are ruining the game by wildly overspending like the coastal teams are.

I also grew up despising the Dodgers, so it's hard for me to get worked up over any of the Reds potential rivals in this division.

Maybe it's time for MLB to shuffle the deck and get the Reds out of this milquetoast division?

Redsland
01-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Which team gave us Commissioner Bud Selig? Which team dropped us into a tie for the wild card in 1999? Which team fills its roster with third-rate dreck each year, forces me to watch them 18 times a season, and somehow manages to smack us around pretty good each year?

That's the team I like the least.

CougarQuest
01-07-2007, 08:59 PM
I voted the Cubs for three reasons:
1) Their fans are ignorant and obnoxious.
2) Their fans are obnoxious and ignorant.
3) Their fans.

HalMorrisRules
01-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Astros, goes way back to the NL West, Mike Scott days. I hated them and the SF Giants equally.

deltachi8
01-07-2007, 09:06 PM
I still dislike the Dodgers and Braves the most. Yes, I miss the ol' NL West

Falls City Beer
01-07-2007, 09:14 PM
I don't get worked up about rivals when the Reds aren't good enough to have rivals.

HBP
01-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Went with the Cardinals basically because of LaRussa and Pujos. I don't really mind anyone else on the team.

marcshoe
01-07-2007, 10:22 PM
This would only let me vote once for the Cubs. I despise them much more than that.

MississippiRed
01-07-2007, 10:55 PM
I don't like any NL teams, as I see them all as rivals of the Reds. I hate the west coast teams because we rarely play well out there. I hate the central teams because they beat us too many times over the course of a season. I voted for the Astros because so many of them look alike.

Red in Chicago
01-07-2007, 11:16 PM
i voted for the cardinals, only because i hate larussa and pujols so much...now that dusty is gone, my hate for the cubs has lessened a tad...that said, if i could have picked two, they both would have received a vote.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-07-2007, 11:22 PM
I voted Cardinals just cause they won the World series and the Reds could've kicked their butt...

Yachtzee
01-07-2007, 11:23 PM
I chose the Cards because of Jim Edmonds and the love he seems to get from certain announcers. However, I too miss the days of the great rivalry with the Dodgers and I have spoken with Dodgers fans my age and older who feel the same way. We came to the conclusion that baseball should dump interleague play and go to a balanced schedule so that teams like the Reds and Dodgers could play more often.

Ron Madden
01-07-2007, 11:32 PM
I voted Cubs as my most hated division rival.

It must be noted that I will always and forever hate the Dodgers. :duel:

M2
01-07-2007, 11:34 PM
I don't get worked up about rivals when the Reds aren't good enough to have rivals.

I'm with you.

redsupport
01-07-2007, 11:51 PM
I hate the Padres from the Old NL West they were really good with Steve Arlin as the dentist pitcher

Topcat
01-08-2007, 12:03 AM
Hate the Cubs and still have long residue hate of the Dodgers. But dang I do love Vin Scully as an announcer.

nmculbreth
01-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Cards by a mile. The Cubs fans may be obnoxious but they've been so bad for so long that it's hard to take them serious.

Jpup
01-08-2007, 02:50 AM
little baby bears suck.

MartyFan
01-08-2007, 05:52 AM
I hate the Cubs too...but what's really sad is I really don't care about the other teams in our division...I never liked the Cubs even when they were in teh old NL East.

I STILL hate the Dodgers and that stems from when they and my beloved Reds were in the NL West.

We need a good rivalry..that means we need to win games.

scounts22
01-08-2007, 09:14 AM
I hate the Cubs because their stupid fans invade OUR stadium EVERY TIME they play here. It makes me nauseous.

I also really, really hate the Mets. Freakin Al Leiter. And Bobby Valentine.

zombie-a-go-go
01-08-2007, 09:21 AM
I hate the Cubs for several reasons. 1, they have obnoxious fans. 2, their obnoxious fans show up at my ballpark and almost outnumber my fellow Reds fans at times and it makes me want to fight people.

You just can't say it any better than this.

RichRed
01-08-2007, 10:48 AM
This would only let me vote once for the Cubs. I despise them much more than that.

Then you can have half credit for my vote. Can't stand 'em. Newsflash to Cubs fans: the Cubs are losers, ain't nothing "lovable" about it. I've never heard more trash talk from fans of a team so perennially inept.

oneupper
01-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Always used to be the Dodgers.

Nowadays I'd say the Astros. There's a "Holier-than-thou" attitude about them that just ticks me off. Next the Cubs, just because they are the Cubs. Then the Cards because they are good.

Hard to hate the Brewers and the Pirates. They're just too much like the REDS these years.

TeamSelig
01-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Not good enough for a rival? We nearly won the division last season, and won the season series with the team that did (who later won a world series). I know we're bad, but I don't think we're THAT bad.

Voted for the Cubs, but the Cards are a very close second (almost voted them because of the recent WS win)

shredda2000
01-08-2007, 12:41 PM
In the ole NL West Days...if you liked the Reds, you HAD to hate the Dodgers (I think it was a MLB rule :rolleyes: )

However, I picked the Cards because well...they're the Cards!

Team Clark
01-08-2007, 12:47 PM

Ain't that the truth!!!!!!!!

tts1stros
01-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Maybe it's time for MLB to shuffle the deck and get the Reds out of this milquetoast division?

If I had the ability, I'd give you reputation just for using the word 'milquetoast'. Awesome!

realistic
01-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Cards for sure. Living in TN , i suffer from being surrounded by Braves and Cardinals fans in a market the Reds should own (at least according to MLB blackout rules). Never liked any Cardinal players, even disliked Ozzie Smith - and i dont have any idea why.

Cubs? They dont even count as a MLB team to me, more of a sideshow of has been retreads and overhyped/overvalued youngsters year to year. I mean come on, when random_celebrity_001 is wearing a Cubs hat it looks like a toy their mother in law bought them before the game, not an authentic representation of the team. Now when you see Charlie Sheen in his Reds gear..thats true a fan!

Astros Ive always liked a lil bit since i was a kid, since Phil Garners playing days since he was a friend of a friends dad from college. Pirates too, since I was a Pirate in t-ball. Brewers? Until they make noise in the central they dont bother me at all

foxfire123
01-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Cardinals. With a white hot ever growing incredibly intense hatred. Comes from living around these so called <and self proclaimed> best fans in baseball and their holier than thou attitudes. If I hear "you live here now, you HAVE to be a Cardinals fan!" one more time I swear I'm buying a gun....

Foxfire123

Reds Nd2
01-09-2007, 08:07 PM
I agree.

But the Reds are so milquetoasty themselves.

Handofdeath
01-09-2007, 08:12 PM
That is a really interesting question. I see the Dodgers mentioned but their main rivals will always be the Giants. The Cardinals? Their main rivals are the Cubs. It's really hard to believe the Reds don't have that bitter rivalry with someone as old as this franchise is. The Pirates have the Phillies playing in the same state. That basically leaves the Brewers and the Astros. The Astros are in another part of the country. The Brewers are closer and, like Cincy, Milwaukee has history. This is a potential rivalry that should be stoked like a barely burning fire. These are franchises very similar to one another. There is mucho potential here.

Yachtzee
01-10-2007, 12:39 AM
That is a really interesting question. I see the Dodgers mentioned but their main rivals will always be the Giants. The Cardinals? Their main rivals are the Cubs. It's really hard to believe the Reds don't have that bitter rivalry with someone as old as this franchise is. The Pirates have the Phillies playing in the same state. That basically leaves the Brewers and the Astros. The Astros are in another part of the country. The Brewers are closer and, like Cincy, Milwaukee has history. This is a potential rivalry that should be stoked like a barely burning fire. These are franchises very similar to one another. There is mucho potential here.

Well, just because a team has a great rivalry with one team doesn't mean it can't have one with another team as well. They're sports teams, not married people. The Reds and Dodgers had a great rivalry. The Dodgers also have a rivalry with the Giants. The Reds also had rivalries with the Giants and Braves at times. Big deal. Slowly the Reds are starting to build rivalries with teams in their divisions, but it seems a shame that they weren't able to keep the ones they had when the divisions were realigned and the league went to an unbalanced schedule.