PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Who were you?

Team Clark
01-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Most people I know who watched any of the Star Wars movies had a character they most wanted to be like. As a kid it was great for me. I had a Darth Vader costume.

Who was your pick? Any special memories associated with that?

gonelong
01-08-2007, 03:11 PM
I was an undersized, naive, little white kid sheltered from the excitement out in BFE. I basically WAS Luke Skywalker! I really wanted to be Han Solo.

GL

flyer85
01-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Lone Starr or possibly Major ...

Spring~Fields
01-08-2007, 03:16 PM
I don't know for sure about when I was younger. Unfortunately the older I get the more I would have fit right into character without makeup. :eek:

guttle11
01-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Never seen any of them, but I pick whatever guy Samuel L. Jackson played.

gm
01-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Boba Fett

westofyou
01-08-2007, 03:24 PM
I never saw Star Wars until 1988.

Whoops.

Team Clark
01-08-2007, 03:24 PM

I couldn't think of their names. Sorry.

Team Clark
01-08-2007, 03:25 PM
I never saw Star Wars until 1988.

Whoops.

Doesn't mean you don't have a character you wouldn't want to be.

RANDY IN INDY
01-08-2007, 03:26 PM
I was 16 when the first movie came out, so I don't think I ever really identified with wanting to be one of the characters. I'm old.

westofyou
01-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Doesn't mean you don't have a character you wouldn't want to be.

I went to film school, I wanted to be George Lucas (the American Graffiti one though)

rdiersin
01-08-2007, 03:29 PM
I wanted to be the ewok that was striped and had some animal skull for a hat.

minus5
01-08-2007, 03:34 PM
I liked the character of Luke but loved the way Darth and the stormtroopers looked. Bad guys always have such cooler costumes then the good guys!

pedro
01-08-2007, 03:35 PM
I dated a girl in college who kind of looked like carrie fisher

I never wanted to be any of them.

FutureRedsGM
01-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Chewbacca!!! And the older and hairier I get, the more I really look like him.

deltachi8
01-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Triumph the Insult Comic Dog interviewing said Star Wars people.

Team Clark
01-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Triumph the Insult Comic Dog interviewing said Star Wars people.

I have that! I play that at least once a month.. (pointing at Darth vader's Chest Plate) "What is this button for... to call your Mom to pick you up from the Mall"? I laughed so hard I almost broke ribs! :laugh:

Redsland
01-08-2007, 04:15 PM
I most identified with Luke Skywalker, because we're both whiny and neither one of us can act.

WMR
01-08-2007, 04:27 PM
I have that! I play that at least once a month.. (pointing at Darth vader's Chest Plate) "What is this button for... to call your Mom to pick you up from the Mall"? I laughed so hard I almost broke ribs! :laugh:

::to the only girl at the "event"::

"How does it feel to be surrounded by all these guys who would have no idea how to have sex with you?"

KittyDuran
01-08-2007, 04:34 PM
I most identified with Luke Skywalker, because we're both whiny and neither one of us can act.Yeah, but you're taller...;)

Redsland
01-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Yeah, but you're taller...;)

:laugh:

Johnny Footstool
01-08-2007, 04:40 PM
I was always the kid who wanted to be the main hero or the leader. Luke Skywalker, Apollo from Battlestar Galactica, Cyclops from the X-men. I always preferred those characters to the "loose cannon" archetype -- Han Solo, Starbuck, Wolverine.

MrCinatit
01-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Luke, of course.
Then again, being Jar Jar would not be bad, just as long as I could run myself full speed into an extra large meat grinder.

Yachtzee
01-08-2007, 07:42 PM
I was always the kid who wanted to be the main hero or the leader. Luke Skywalker, Apollo from Battlestar Galactica, Cyclops from the X-men. I always preferred those characters to the "loose cannon" archetype -- Han Solo, Starbuck, Wolverine.

I'm the opposite. I always wanted to be Han, Starbuck, or Wolverine. When we were kids, I was always "Han" and my little brother was "Luke", which worked especially well because I have brown hair and he's a blond. Luke was also a little to whiny for my taste, as evidenced by the following line:

"But I was going to Tashi Station to pick up some power converters!"

Falls City Beer
01-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Lobot.

savafan
01-09-2007, 04:55 AM
I wanted to be the ewok that was striped and had some animal skull for a hat.

Ah, Logray.

savafan
01-09-2007, 05:12 AM
No 3PO or R2? What about Wedge Antilles? Where is Admiral Ackbar??? How can you have a Star Wars poll without Admiral Ackbar???

zombie-a-go-go
01-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Lando Calrissian, kickin' it old-school with a bottle of Colt 45 at the Cloud City Swingers' Club. Smooooooth.

Team Clark
01-09-2007, 09:17 AM
No 3PO or R2? What about Wedge Antilles? Where is Admiral Ackbar??? How can you have a Star Wars poll without Admiral Ackbar???

Sorry!! :( Ackbar was awesome with his big 'ol head and eyes. He had an Admiral's type voice too. Well cast. Since I posted this yesterday I just had to watch Return of the Jedi with my Daughter. Who, incidentally, now thinks she is Princess Leigha. Who am I to say she isn't?

Johnny Footstool
01-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Luke was also a little to whiny for my taste, as evidenced by the following line:

"But I was going to Tashi Station to pick up some power converters!"

I remember making a loud, whimpering sound when Luke said this line in the 1997 re-release. The whole theater burst out laughing.

oneupper
01-09-2007, 10:05 AM
I was 16 when the first movie came out, so I don't think I ever really identified with wanting to be one of the characters. I'm old.

Ditto. Never really got the fascination of the (now) thirty-somethings with the whole thing.

Dirty Harry or the Sundance Kid...I could have been.

Coffeybro
01-09-2007, 10:28 AM
What no Chewbacca? My wife says that I should dress up as him one halloween. I wouldn't need the stilts.

PickOff
01-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Boba Fett

Me too.:)

Team Clark
01-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Ditto. Never really got the fascination of the (now) thirty-somethings with the whole thing.

Dirty Harry or the Sundance Kid...I could have been.

My Uncle really thought he was Dirty Harry. In those days you could order guns by mail. He bought a .44 Magnum with special handles and the whole nine yards. He had the big holster and often wore it when going out. I idolized him for many years! :laugh: This is the same guy that taught me to throw knives at the age of 7. Shoot a snub nosed .38 at 8. I was kickin' butt with his modified .22's by the time I was 10. Awesome.

HotCorner
01-09-2007, 11:52 AM

:thumbup:

I voted for Luke Skywalker but I would have voted for Boba Fett or Darth Maul. Maul was one bad ... ;)

Johnny Footstool
01-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Boba Fett

Nothing against you personally or the legions of fans B.F. seems to have garnered, but I never understood the fascination with him. Yes, he tracked the Millenium Falcon by dumping his ship out with the garbage. Aside from that, he: 1) quivered at Vader's knee on Cloud City; 2) stood around and did nothing in Jabba's palace; and 3) screamed like a girl when he was thrown into the Sarlaac pit. Big deal.

I think much of his appear comes from the urban legends about his action figure with the alleged kid-choking missile backpack.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/bts/article/f20000530/indexp3.html

RedsManRick
01-09-2007, 12:19 PM
I always wanted to be Yoda. Super smart and could kick your butt but never had to.

Team Clark
01-09-2007, 12:23 PM
I always wanted to be Yoda. Super smart and could kick your butt but never had to.

My favorite Yoda scene is when he walks ino the Emperor's chamber and pushes his hand backward. The two guards at the door go flying and are knocked out. Now who here wouldn't want to be able to do that???

Yachtzee
01-09-2007, 12:28 PM
First, what about Porkins?

Second, how much imagination does it take to come up with the name "Porkins" for the fat X-Wing pilot?

Handofdeath
01-09-2007, 03:44 PM

I was never a huge fan but when I saw The Phantom Menace and saw Yoda fight near the end of the movie I was floored. A can of Whoop Ass Yoda opened. Very impressive it was.

Rojo
01-09-2007, 04:02 PM

Timing. Star Wars came out when I was nine. I can still recall seeing the trailer and thinking, "now that's what I've been waiting for". Up til then, we kids were packed off to watch crap like Escape from Witch Mountain or whatever lame Helen Hays/David Niven concoction Disney came up with twice a year.

westofyou
01-09-2007, 05:26 PM
or whatever lame Helen Hays/David Niven concoction Disney came up with twice a year.
Tell me about it, I worked at a theater that catered to that crowd.

http://www.pumpkinsoft.de/covershots/3082.jpg

Not lucky enough to get Star Wars, we however got The Black Hole and Buck Rodgers, for the Black Hole they removed the back three rows to install the Sense-Around.

M2
01-09-2007, 07:31 PM
I went to film school, I wanted to be George Lucas (the American Graffiti one though)

What happened to that guy?

westofyou
01-09-2007, 07:33 PM
What happened to that guy?

:starwars:

Yachtzee
01-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Tell me about it, I worked at a theater that catered to that crowd.

http://www.pumpkinsoft.de/covershots/3082.jpg

Not lucky enough to get Star Wars, we however got The Black Hole and Buck Rodgers, for the Black Hole they removed the back three rows to install the Sense-Around.

I remember The Black Hole. My parents took me to see it. I recall thinkikng space was very dark and lonely place after that.

toledodan
01-10-2007, 12:57 AM
I liked the character of Luke but loved the way Darth and the stormtroopers looked. Bad guys always have such cooler costumes then the good guys!

my thoughts as well growing up.:thumbup:

RFS62
01-10-2007, 07:03 AM
Bond. James Bond.

BoydsOfSummer
01-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I didn't see Star Wars until I was like 35. I remember getting some Star Wars toys from an aunt and uncle for Christmas back then. I was so disappointed.

Tom Servo
01-11-2007, 03:37 PM
IT'S A TRAAAAAP!

NJReds
01-11-2007, 04:01 PM
IT'S A TRAAAAAP!

I wish Ackbar was the Reds Asst. GM.

Wayne: Bowden wants Lopez and Kearns for Bray and Majewski. That will really help our bullpen. What do you think?

Ackbar: IT'S A TRAP!

Wayne: Okay then. I better say no.

oneupper
01-11-2007, 04:18 PM
My Uncle really thought he was Dirty Harry. In those days you could order guns by mail. He bought a .44 Magnum with special handles and the whole nine yards. He had the big holster and often wore it when going out. I idolized him for many years! :laugh: This is the same guy that taught me to throw knives at the age of 7. Shoot a snub nosed .38 at 8. I was kickin' butt with his modified .22's by the time I was 10. Awesome.

Remind me never to anger you, TC. :eek:

Redsland
01-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Tom Hume upon being told to summon Rick White: "I've got a baaad feeling about this."

Johnny Almaraz: "Wayne Krivsky. I should have expected to find you holding Narron's leash. I noticed your foul stench when I was brought onboard."

Krivsky at the deadline: "A firesale? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances."

Hologram: "Help me, Barry Zito. You're my only hope."

"I'm Esteban Yan. I'm here to rescue you."

"Citizens Bank Park. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

"It was as if 42,000 voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."

"But sir, nobody cares about upsetting a Brewer."

George Grande: "I don't know what you're talking about. I am a member of the Reds broadcast team on a road trip to St. Louis."
RedsZone: "You are part of Cardinals Nation and a spy! Take him away!"

Chris Hammond: "Sorry about the mess."

NJReds
01-11-2007, 05:00 PM

:laugh:

WMR
01-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Tom Hume upon being told to summon Rick White: "I've got a baaad feeling about this."

Johnny Almaraz: "Wayne Krivsky. I should have expected to find you holding Narron's leash. I noticed your foul stench when I was brought onboard."

Krivsky at the deadline: "A firesale? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances."

Hologram: "Help me, Barry Zito. You're my only hope."

"Citizens Bank Park. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

"It was as if 42,000 voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."

"But sir, nobody cares about upsetting a Brewer."

George Grande: "I don't know what you're talking about. I am a member of the Reds broadcast team on a road trip to St. Louis."
RedsZone: "You are part of Cardinals Nation and a spy! Take him away!"

Chris Hammond: "Sorry about the mess."

Brilliant!!

I see Marty as the Emperor in there somewhere.

gm
01-11-2007, 06:20 PM
I never understood the fascination with him. Yes, he tracked the Millenium Falcon by dumping his ship out with the garbage. Aside from that, he: 1) quivered at Vader's knee on Cloud City; 2) stood around and did nothing in Jabba's palace; and 3) screamed like a girl when he was thrown into the Sarlaac pit. Big deal.[/url]

Easy to say, now. But there was a lot of time in-between those 2nd and 3rd films, during which Fett was a mysterious and potent adversary

And no one messes with a guy who names his stealthy ship "Slave 1"

Yachtzee
01-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Easy to say, now. But there was a lot of time in-between those 2nd and 3rd films, during which Fett was a mysterious and potent adversary

Not unlike the Continuum Transfunctioner. ;)

Dom Heffner
01-11-2007, 07:02 PM
I remember The Black Hole. My parents took me to see it. I recall thinkikng space was very dark and lonely place after that.

My Mom bought me some "Black Hole" action figures once. I want to say there was one for Ernest Borgnine- Harry Booth?- anyhow, I would combine him with my Star Wars dolls and poor Harry used to get killed every time. I even think I froze him in a cup of carbon freeze (tap water) in our freezer a million times.

He didn't have cool clothes, he had no gun, he couldn't fly a ship and he was only .99.

He deserved it.

gm
01-11-2007, 07:07 PM
For awhile we nicknamed the dog "Salacious Crumb"

gm
01-11-2007, 07:09 PM
I would combine him with my Star Wars dolls and poor Harry used to get killed every time.

Kind of like that guest actor/new character in the Star Trek episodes. You knew they were "short-timers"

Redsland
01-12-2007, 11:14 AM
I see Marty as the Emperor in there somewhere.
After Dunn strikes out: "Excellent. Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen it."

To Homer Bailey: "We shall watch your career with great interest."

"The son of Showater must not become a manager."

"There is a great disturbance in the league. We have a new enemy: Jim Bowden."

"This is my apprentice, Steve Stewart. He will find your lost golf ball."

"Your arrogence blinds you, Banana Phone caller. Now you shall feel my wrath!"

"Oh no, my young caller. You will find it is you who is mistaken. About a great many things."

"Welcome, young Brennamen. I've been expecting you."

Johnny Footstool
01-12-2007, 11:36 AM
My Mom bought me some "Black Hole" action figures once. I want to say there was one for Ernest Borgnine- Harry Booth?- anyhow, I would combine him with my Star Wars dolls and poor Harry used to get killed every time. I even think I froze him in a cup of carbon freeze (tap water) in our freezer a million times.

He didn't have cool clothes, he had no gun, he couldn't fly a ship and he was only .99.

He deserved it.

I would pay a lot for one if the figure actually looked like Ernest Borgnine.

http://www.toymania.com/334archives/black/booth.htm

I had some of those figures. V.I.N.cent used to pal around with R2-D2, and Maximillian was menacing enough to be Darth Vader's henchman.