PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV Adding 100 HD Channels in 2007

Jpup
01-09-2007, 10:15 AM
http://tv.ign.com/articles/753/753818p1.html

January 9, 2007 - Satellite provider DirecTV at CES 2007 announced that it plans to launch 100 new HD-dedicated channels in the coming months to support what it has dubbed "the year of HD." The company will effectively be offering three times more HD programming than any other distributor by the third quarter of the year. And there are spectacular additions coming, as we'll list below.

Look out for HD-ized versions of major network channels, including A&E, National Geographic, Bravo, NFL Network, Cartoon Network, Food Network, TBS, FX, The History Channel, HGTV, The Weather Channel, USA Network, MTV, and our personal favorite, the SciFi Channel.

For more than a year, nerds like us have begged for DirecTV to carry the SciFi Channel in HD so that we can watch HD versions of Battlestar Galactica as soon as they debut. It seems that our prayers and cries for a response have finally been addressed. Thank you, DirecTV.

The provider will also extend its sports-based HD programming by offerings hundreds of new games from the Regional Sports Networks around the country. DirecTV will additionally serve up an expanded line of premium movie channels in high-definition.

"This is DIRECTV's break-out year for HD," said Chase Carey, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "The launch of our two new satellites will complete the largest capacity expansion in DIRECTV history, and no other video service will be able to match the sheer volume and quality of our HD programming. With HD adoption now reaching critical mass in the U.S., and 40 million homes projected to have HD-capable TV's this year, DIRECTV will be uniquely positioned as the best choice for HD programming."

The company has not yet revealed when HD versions of these channels will debut, but we'll keep you posted as more details become available.

It looks as if we will get to see TBS baseball in HD this year. I hope the cable companies and Dish Network offer these channels as well. I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of these channels in HD including TBS and USA.

Dom Heffner
01-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Great- now if they can solve the "Your service goes out if there is a cloud over your house" issue we might be able to watch these channels.

It's awful here in Florida.

Ltlabner
01-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Great- now if they can solve the "Your service goes out if there is a cloud over your house" issue we might be able to watch these channels.

It's awful here in Florida.

My in-laws in Cincinnati had the same experience. It was horrible. After repeated attempts to fix the problem they finally got fed up and went back to cable.

paintmered
01-09-2007, 11:00 AM
In all seriousness, it takes a very heavy thunderstorm to lose signal around here.

FutureRedsGM
01-09-2007, 11:02 AM
In all seriousness, it takes a very heavy thunderstorm to lose signal around here.

Same here (Louisville) with Dish Network.

JaxRed
01-09-2007, 11:07 AM
I live in Florida and almost never lose my Directv signal

BRM
01-09-2007, 11:09 AM

We just went through back to back blizzards here in Colorado and I never once lost the signal. I have Directv by the way.

Joseph
01-09-2007, 11:26 AM
I used to lose DirecTV all the time, but I switched back to Dish and it takes something SEVERE to even get the screen to blink a little now. I'm far more likely to lose power than signal.

KronoRed
01-09-2007, 11:58 AM

Yep.

If your dish is aligned incorrectly it can make it worse.

Yachtzee
01-09-2007, 12:10 PM
My DirectTV goes out far less often than my cable internet and Northeast Ohio isn't know for its perennial sunshine. Could it be the equipment, or as Krono said the alignment?

HotCorner
01-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Alignment.

BoydsOfSummer
01-09-2007, 06:04 PM
When I had DirecTv it took a darn good sized thunderhead to drop the signal. I went back to cable because I got a sweet deal on a internet/phone/cable package.

macro
01-10-2007, 01:45 AM
...and have they said anything about the cost of these 100 new channels? Right now they're charging about $12 for ten HD channels. Even if I had a HD television, I don't think I'd give that much for that little. I know it takes money to put those bird up into space, but is this going to be cost-prohibitive to the majority of people?

bengalsown
01-10-2007, 02:29 AM
See ya time warner!

Jpup
01-10-2007, 03:23 AM
...and have they said anything about the cost of these 100 new channels? Right now they're charging about $12 for ten HD channels. Even if I had a HD television, I don't think I'd give that much for that little. I know it takes money to put those bird up into space, but is this going to be cost-prohibitive to the majority of people?

I figure that if you can afford a nice HDTV, then you can afford the service. If you can't afford the service, maybe you shouldn't buy the TV. I'm not speaking of you, but in general.

My guess is they will be in line with what Dish Network is currently offering.

LoganBuck
01-10-2007, 07:36 AM
If your programming with DishNetwork is with HD you must also pay a HD reciever fee of $5 per month if you lease your equipment. The HD Service is definately a premium service at this point. HDTVs are becoming very affordable, and becoming the standard, at some point in the near future, I expect the difference in the cost of HD service to become a competitive issue between Cable and Satelite. Which is good for us.

macro
01-10-2007, 09:26 AM
I figure that if you can afford a nice HDTV, then you can afford the service. If you can't afford the service, maybe you shouldn't buy the TV. I'm not speaking of you, but in general.

You make an excellent point. I don't think I'd go so far as to say that one shouldn't buy the TV unless they're planning to pay DTV, though. After all, local HD signals are free. But I agree that it's hypocritical to pay $1500-$2500 for a TV and then cry poverty regarding the satellite bill.

I guess for me, personally, it wouldn't be a matter of affordability as much as principle. I'm one of those people who won't balk at paying a lot of money for durable goods, but hesitate to pay a lot of money for intangibles. I won't claim that that's entirely sensible, or that I won't buy the programming once I have the TV, however.

BRM
01-10-2007, 09:46 AM
My guess is they will be in line with what Dish Network is currently offering.

DISH HD packages aren't priced separately like Directv. Or if they are, I'm not seeing it on their website. I see packages ranging from $50-$100 per month but those prices are for HD and standard channels combined. It will be nice if Direct moves to something similar once they add all of these channels.

KronoRed
01-10-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm guessing with this many channels they will offer an HD only package and not make people have SD channels as well

BRM
01-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Good point Krono. DISH offers joint packages but they have around 30 HD channels. If Directv is going to offer 100 channels, it may make sense to have an HD only package for those that want it.

macro
01-10-2007, 11:16 AM
I found this posted on the Internet today. It's the cost of Directv Total Choice package year-by-year since 1999:

1999 Total Choice $29.99
2000 Total Choice $31.99
2003 Total Choice $33.99
2004 Total Choice $36.99
2005 Total Choice $41.99
2006 Total Choice $44.99

If you remember those tests we took in school, you'll remember the questions where they presented a series and had you figure out what came next. So, what comes next in this series?

Answer:

2007 Total Choice $49.99

Rumors at www.dbstalk.com are that Directv will raise the price of Total Choice to $50, possibly March 1. Supposedly this is to help fund the announced launch of the new satellites and the related HD upgrades. So, it may be that the additional cost of HD will be spread out among all subscribers, and not just the ones that want HD.

KronoRed
01-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Boy ole Rupert raised them fast in his 3 years at the helm.

Glad he's not in charge anymore.

gilpdawg
01-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Most of the time people who say they have signal problems actually have either equipment problems, or a bad install, by my experiences.

HalMorrisRules
01-17-2007, 11:16 AM
I can count on one hand how many times our signal went out last year and I cant even remember the last time it happened. It is mostly scary advertising used by the cable companies.

BRM
01-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Most of the time people who say they have signal problems actually have either equipment problems, or a bad install, by my experiences.

That's been my experience as well. I had signal problems several years ago right after a move and it turned out to be a poor install job. I had no problems once the dish was realigned.

Mr. Redlegs
01-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Is FSN going to cover the Reds games in HD this year? I know the Blue Jackets and Cavs have pretty much all been in HD this year, so I assume the Reds will too.

gonelong
01-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Is FSN going to cover the Reds games in HD this year? I know the Blue Jackets and Cavs have pretty much all been in HD this year, so I assume the Reds will too.

I called TWC in Troy a few weeks ago to see if they had any plans to broadcast Reds games on FSO in HD. The answer was no. I let them know I was very disappointed to hear that.

GL

Mr. Redlegs
01-19-2007, 09:40 AM
I called TWC in Troy a few weeks ago to see if they had any plans to broadcast Reds games on FSO in HD. The answer was no. I let them know I was very disappointed to hear that.

GL
I don't believe it's up to TWC. It's up to the Reds and FSN. In Columbus, we just started getting a special HD FSN channel, but if the Reds don't make the plans to go the HD route, it won't matter.

WebScorpion
01-20-2007, 11:49 PM
I've had DirecTV since September and have never had a loss of service. The worst that happens is twice we had REALLY heavy wind gusts (the kind you can hear howling at the back of the house) and it caused the picture to 'pixelize' a couple times. That's it. I'm very happy with the service...just not too thrilled about the price. I got NFL Sunday Ticket (with SuperFan) as a birthday present...if it weren't for that, I prolly wouldn't even have DirecTV. Unfortunately, I'm spoiled now...I can't stand to watch football where I can't bring up a NFL scoreboard and/or live current game stats at the press of a button. :eek: I'm going to need another birthday to pay for MLB Extra Innings...:(