PDA

View Full Version : Skyline Chili Nutritional Information

Dom Heffner
01-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Holy cow!

Over 1000 calories in a 3-way? 60 grams of fat?

A cheese coney has 350 calories and 25 grams of fat?

I normally eat a three-way with 3 cheese coneys.

Don't you dare do the math on that.

I'm going there tonight and I have just ruined it for myself. Either taht or I am going to get on the tread mill for an extra hour.

Allegro
01-09-2007, 01:20 PM
When I eat my 3-way, I always leave a bunch of juice (grease?) laying in he bottom of the dish. I wonder how many grams of fat I save doing that? Also, much of time I get the cheese and chili on the side, and I usually only use half of the chili and there is always cheese left over. I've got to be helping myself (nutritionally) doing that right?

KronoRed
01-09-2007, 01:29 PM
That's a lot of treadmill time :help:

redsfan30
01-09-2007, 01:48 PM
That's a lot of treadmill time :help:

Alot.

SunDeck
01-09-2007, 01:57 PM
I don't eat Skyline to stay svelte.

Chip R
01-09-2007, 02:36 PM
The title of this post is an oxymoron.

deltachi8
01-09-2007, 02:37 PM
I don't eat Skyline to stay svelte.

Reminds me of a freind of mine in college - he was outside having a smoke when a kid (about 10 0r so) comes over to him and says "Mister, that's (smoking) not good for you."

My friend takes a drag off his smoke, looks at the kid and says "I don't do it for the health benefits kid."

Matt700wlw
01-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Won't stop me from eating it!!

:beerme:

camisadelgolf
01-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Alot.

Is there an inside joke I'm missing?

paintmered
01-09-2007, 03:58 PM
I really hate you for posting this, Dom.

:p:

RedFanAlways1966
01-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Ahhhh... doesn't bother me. I now weigh 15 pounds less than I did when I graduated from high school (22-1/2 years ago). The only way I can gain weight is to lift weights... lord knows I got too old to do that exercise thing anymore. I eat fastfood everyday for lunch. Of course my older brother is 2 inches taller than me, but weighs the same as me (skinnier). My father kept telling us that he used to be like that until his mid-30's. Well we are both past that and still have the same thin builds. A fast metabolism isn't a bad thing, I guess. Please... don't hate me! :devil:

I think I'll have a 4-way for lunch tomorrow! :D

Dom Heffner
01-09-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm sorry for posting this, guys, but I was shocked. I mean, I knew it wa bad but wow.

I take in over 2000 calories and 130 fat grams sitting there. That doesn't include the calories from the Mountain Dew, either. Or the fries I sometimes get.

Geesh. 1000 calories in a 3-way. That blows me away.

Reds Nd2
01-09-2007, 05:42 PM
http://cincinnatipas.com/skyline.jpg

DoogMinAmo
01-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Dom,

I worked at Skyline for a few years. Want to know the secret?

The chili is actually healthy for you, yes I said healthy. The cheese that everyone loves is what makes it so bad. Ask for the cheese on the side, or light cheese and you are doing yourself a huge favor.

Oh, and if you think those numbers are grotesque, I have news for you. They are based on standard portions dictated by corporate, many stores actually give larger portions with much more cheese to reel in customers. What I am saying is what you have been eating may be much, much worse.

Unassisted
01-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Ask for the cheese on the side, or light cheese and you are doing yourself a huge favor.

I always get cheese on the side at Skyline because I don't like to fight through a thicket of cheese to get to the chili. I usually end up eating the cheese with the crackers, though. Maybe I'll resist the temptation to eat that mountain of cheese next time, now that I know where the fat and calories are. :eek:

Virginia Beach Reds
01-09-2007, 08:57 PM
I was just thinking today and wondering how bad what I was currently eating at the bar of the Skyline on 6th St. I was chowing down on a 5 way and had myself actually convinced that I was doing my body a favor by eating this.

redsmetz
01-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Please don't tell my customers who buy it from me online.

redsmetz
01-09-2007, 09:08 PM
By the way, I looked on Skyline's site and the info you posted is based on the Large size, not the regular. It's still not pretty, but it is less. And many times, when I get a 3 way, I'm getting a small, which is a much more manageable 360 calories/25 grams. Lately though, I've been getting a bowl of Chili Bean and that's just 270 calories/12 grams Fat. The info is at

http://skylinechili.com/downloads/SkylineNutrition.pdf

cincinnati chili
01-09-2007, 09:51 PM
There's no better way to spend 1000 calories.

Dom Heffner
01-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Dom,

I worked at Skyline for a few years. Want to know the secret?

The chili is actually healthy for you, yes I said healthy. The cheese that everyone loves is what makes it so bad. Ask for the cheese on the side, or light cheese and you are doing yourself a huge favor.

Oh, and if you think those numbers are grotesque, I have news for you. They are based on standard portions dictated by corporate, many stores actually give larger portions with much more cheese to reel in customers. What I am saying is what you have been eating may be much, much worse.

Thanks for the info, Doog. I don't know if I would call the chili "healthy." I think I would file it under "not as bad as you think."

I knew I posted the large size, which is what I normally get.

I ate there tonight and had 3 cheese coneys.

It's weird to be in Tampa and see all the Cincy stuff on the wall. Makes me homesick.

ghettochild
01-09-2007, 11:04 PM
http://cincinnatipas.com/skyline.jpg

case and point

KronoRed
01-10-2007, 02:30 AM
Just get a diet soda and it's ok ;)

SunDeck
01-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Friends, please stop this.
Keep the cheese on top of the chili. Go to Bridgetown or Clifton, where the portions are grotesquely large and the cheese is deep as a Denver snowdrift.

All movements start small; Bolshevism, Fascism,...Disco. Let's nip this in the bud right now before we can't reel it in. Okay?

Dom Heffner
01-10-2007, 10:07 AM
All movements start small; Bolshevism, Fascism,...Disco. Let's nip this in the bud right now before we can't reel it in. Okay?

I'm about the guilt. It's how I keep myself in shape. After a good long while on the treadmill last night, my conscience feels great.

But 1000 calories? What's a Big Mac, 600?

redsmetz
01-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Friends, please stop this.
Keep the cheese on top of the chili. Go to Bridgetown or Clifton, where the portions are grotesquely large and the cheese is deep as a Denver snowdrift.

Funny you say this, because I can always tell whether it's a franchise store or a company store by the service and the portions. The franchises (e.g. Bridgetown, Clifton, Kenwood) always have faster service and larger portions. The company stores scrimp and never have enough help.

I cut my teeth with the franchise owner at Kenwood. I remember when the location was in Silverton at the corner of Montgomery Road and Plainfield Pike (that'll take you back right there) and it was one counter long.

We're so ingrained at that store in Kenwood that George sent over some cheese coneys to my next younger brother's wedding reception and we turned up there the evening after my next older brother's funeral to have some coneys in him honor. Even though I don't get out there often, I can still walk in and the old-timers and the owner still remember me by name and ask about all of my family. My wife's first Skyline experience was there too, a late night event with me and my buddy ("you're going to dinner at 11:00 o'clock at night" she asked - "no, we're going to Skyline") - we even ran in to one of my 70 1st cousins while we were there. Now that's history.

BTW, I enjoyed my bowl of chili bean and a cheese coney for lunch today at Clifton (where I once came in and the waitress said, "your son was in a little bit ago"). I swear I should buy stock in that company.

And I stock the stuff to ship it!

westofyou
01-10-2007, 02:06 PM
I remember when the location was in Silverton at the corner of Montgomery Road and Plainfield Pike (that'll take you back right there) and it was one counter long.

That was a great one, as was the one in Milford next to the cleaners.

RedFanAlways1966
01-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks to Dom... I had a regular 4-way and one cheese coney for lunch today. Tasty!